What Are The Top 10 Most Expensive Uk Releases From T' 70's-80's?

Maybe she should have made sure he put the right version of Too Many People on instead of that tame second version that did come out :lol:

p.s. she is talking b*llocks

Indeed you'll never get me to find a version of it I actually like :lol:

Incidentally she told me that in 78, not now.....we were part of the Kent northern gang at the time :lol:

Social source share

Indeed you'll never get me to find a version of it I actually like :lol:

Incidentally she told me that in 78, not now.....we were part of the Kent northern gang at the time :lol:

I can't see it though, can you, like let's make 100 or 200 demos of all our singles - oh except that one, let's just do 25 of those LOL

Was Kim one of your gang?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'll always remain sceptical about this one Steve.

You mean Scepterical surely? :lol:

So the likely scenarios are either:

- Pye were going to put it out in response to the hit with "Armed & Extremely dangerous", but by the time they woke up, the follow up "Smarty pants" was all set to go, and used the Scepter B side "One step away" as it's flip, so they had no B side.

- It was prepped up as a potential Pye Disco demand release c.1975.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

You mean Scepterical surely? :lol:

VERY FUNNY. As a matter of interest, in Stockport we had a guy called Tim O Keefe. He had a fantastic UK collection including all the TMG catalogue, including old fontana,stateside etc releases. Sadly he died about 1981. However more than one of our gang swear he had the First Choice record on UK Pye. Last night I was talking to another mate, Ged, and he raised the subject ( again). I mentioned this thread and he had no idea of the thread. Basically yet another lad here, Russ Wood, has stated that Tim had First Choice on Pye. FYI.

I know where his collection ended up so I am gonna try and ask his sister IF I can look through it. Sadly SOME people tried claiming that some of the collection was not all Tim,s and tried conning her. BUT as I said I will go and ask and try to put a bit of evidence forward.Sadly cant promise.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

VERY FUNNY. As a matter of interest, in Stockport we had a guy called Tim O Keefe. He had a fantastic UK collection including all the TMG catalogue, including old fontana,stateside etc releases. Sadly he died about 1981. However more than one of our gang swear he had the First Choice record on UK Pye. Last night I was talking to another mate, Ged, and he raised the subject ( again). I mentioned this thread and he had no idea of the thread. Basically yet another lad here, Russ Wood, has stated that Tim had First Choice on Pye. FYI.

I know where his collection ended up so I am gonna try and ask his sister IF I can look through it. Sadly SOME people tried claiming that some of the collection was not all Tim,s and tried conning her. BUT as I said I will go and ask and try to put a bit of evidence forward.Sadly cant promise.

Legendary name amongst UK collectors Steve.

(Thanks for package by the way :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Thanks Steve, WOuld be great if we could put this mystery to bed. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dont know if its been mentioned but Charlie Thomas -Run Run Roadrunner- UK EMI must be quite an obscure UK release especially a DJ. Only had it once and traded it for a Bobby Reed on Bell. It was highly prized among the NY island collectors and the guy I traded with was delighted with the trade (as was I as it only cost me £6!). Never seen it since and it never shows up in my alerts.

BH

Social source share

Dont know if its been mentioned but Charlie Thomas -Run Run Roadrunner- UK EMI must be quite an obscure UK release especially a DJ. Only had it once and traded it for a Bobby Reed on Bell. It was highly prized among the NY island collectors and the guy I traded with was delighted with the trade (as was I as it only cost me £6!). Never seen it since and it never shows up in my alerts.

BH

It is rare Blake. I've only ever had 2 copies. Though hardly any interest when I sold them surprisingly. Gene Pitney's version on Pye International is also rare (same backing track)

Social source share

Guest john s

I would have thought both issues of Del Davis 'Baby don't wake me' - on Bread and Trojan - should qualify, easily £150, a lot more on a good day with favourable wind...

Social source share

After a loose conversation with a mate recently about this subject my mind started involuntary list making again - what are the top ten most expensive UK releases from the 1970's & '80's?

Excluding Frank Wilson, the 100 Club Anniversary singles and stuff on Grapevine....

Before I go to bed and without giving it alot of thought here's what immediately came to my mind:

Jones Brothers (UK Pye)

Basic Black & Pearl

Jimmy James (UK Pye) "Hey Girl"

Otis Clay (UK Red Atlantic)

Willie Fisher (UK Jama)

Gladys Knight (UK TMG)

I know there's tons I can't think of at the moment - go on help a tired mind out.

derek x

Derek according to your great website Otis Clay is 1969 :)

Social source share

A few 'cheap as chips' items that shouldn't be overlooked .......

Carl Douglas -- Changing Times (Pye)

Al Matthews -- Run To You (Electric + his "People Are People" ... not so cheap)

Al Matthews -- Its Only Love (Mercury)

Alma Faye -- I Believed (Flamingo)

Delegation -- Baby You're My Mystery (State)

... 70's / 80's ???? .......

Paul Jackson -- You Made Me A Winner (Orbitone)

Craig Pruess (Ariola)

.... 80's .......

Roy Young -- You Never Had It So Good (on EMI's TSOGB inking)

Roy Young -- Love Sweeter Than Fruit (on EMI's TSOGB inking)

Oliver Cheatham -- Be Thankful For What You've Got (Champion)

Delegation -- Its Your Turn (CBS)

Delegation -- One More Step To Take (UK recording but Europe only on single)

People are people is no more than a fiver- I saw Him live singing this at Walkdens Pembroke halls in the 70s
Social source share

Wasnt Tim one of the earlry ones ito the BBC vaults in Manchester?

I know this is 60s but to me its rare and I rue the day I didnt buy it off Pete S for 30 quid

California Inn Crowd - Hapiness in my heart on Fontana

Social source share

Guest john s

It's not a soul record in the slightest, it's a reggae record, with a reggae rhythm, what makes it a soul record?

https://www.popsike.c...nr=260958615886

The copy I had in the shop went to a 'modern' DJ, and the price has shot up because of demand from the soul scene, I believe...

SWONS?

:g:

Edited by john s
Social source share

Wasnt Tim one of the earlry ones ito the BBC vaults in Manchester?

I know this is 60s but to me its rare and I rue the day I didnt buy it off Pete S for 30 quid

California Inn Crowd - Hapiness in my heart on Fontana

Hi Ernie, I think you are referring to the Indigo Studios find. That was, to my knowledge, Dave McCadden,Dave Withers and Rod Shard. Richard Searling was VERY close behind them. I think Chapter 5 first came from there. It is VERY likely that Tim would be near by, but not certain. I got there about a week late. I used to travel up from Bedford then. Got to Manchester HMV, got told by Dave Mc and went round, but it was empty of the stuff we knew at the time. That was around 76/77. Still not made contact with Tims sister yet. Sorry folks! Will do!
Social source share

Hi Ernie, I think you are referring to the Indigo Studios find. That was, to my knowledge, Dave McCadden,Dave Withers and Rod Shard. Richard Searling was VERY close behind them. I think Chapter 5 first came from there. It is VERY likely that Tim would be near by, but not certain. I got there about a week late. I used to travel up from Bedford then. Got to Manchester HMV, got told by Dave Mc and went round, but it was empty of the stuff we knew at the time. That was around 76/77. Still not made contact with Tims sister yet. Sorry folks! Will

Hi Steve - I was late into that- Bugger! but did get lots of Pop demos The Move /Byrds/Love sculpture/Pink Floyd/ etc
Social source share

https://www.popsike.c...nr=260958615886

The copy I had in the shop went to a 'modern' DJ, and the price has shot up because of demand from the soul scene, I believe...

SWONS?

:g:

I'm not disputing that the soul people want it John - I'm disputing the fact that it's a soul record, because it isn't, it's a reggae record, with a reggae rhythm, which is why I can't understand why anyone wants it, because as a reggae record it's rubbish.

Social source share

Guest john s

I'm not disputing that the soul people want it John - I'm disputing the fact that it's a soul record, because it isn't, it's a reggae record, with a reggae rhythm, which is why I can't understand why anyone wants it, because as a reggae record it's rubbish.

I think we're in agreement there then! :yes:

Has anyone mentioned the Ray Munnings 45s, by the way?

Social source share

RE: Has anyone mentioned the Ray Munnings 45s, by the way?

Well I made mention of his 1st Tammi one back in post 3 of this thread.

.... Ray talking bout his uda Tammi track (which I have the original version of).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest john s

RE: Has anyone mentioned the Ray Munnings 45s, by the way?

Well I made mention of his 1st Tammi one back in post 3 of this thread.

Oops!

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Ian this is not correct.

The group (First Choice) came in via Georgie Woods. "This is the house" was their first record, and Norman Harris and Stan Watson worked on it. It was a Norman and Stan production and they would have leased it to Scepter as a one record deal. Stan then "weedled" the group away to his Philly Groove label and then they had their hits.

Wand / Scepter stuff was licensed through Pye at the time (1972) not Bell.

More on this shortly, but seems that Scepter had the rights to "Armed and extremely dangerous" after all, but turned it down.....because they thought it sounded like "An old Supremes record". :g:

Social source share

More on this shortly, but seems that Scepter had the rights to "Armed and extremely dangerous" after all, but turned it down.....because they thought it sounded like "An old Supremes record". :g:

Mmmm. Interesting. I can probably check that out for sure 'cos I have semi-access to Stan Watson and Rochelle Fleming as well if necessary.

But that strikes me as being EXACTLY what happened because it makes total sense. When "This Is The House (Where Love Died)" first appeared on import in the UK it was immediately tagged as 'Northern Soul' on Record Corner's lists (along with N.F. Porter's "Keep On Keeping On", the Fuller Brother's "Time's A Wasting" and Limme & The Family Cooking's "You Can Do Magic").

So, in a Sceptre Records A&R meeting, when First Choice came up, this would have been the conversation:-

Boss: "So what's the deal with the First Choice record....."?

Minion: "Jack Shit. A few sales in Philly but that's it. Oh....I forgot....we shipped 2K to England. For some reason they seem to like it over there...."

Boss: "Yeah? How come"?

Minion: "....I dunno.....it's kinda weird......they like the Motown shit from 5 years ago".

Boss: "No shit. Seriously.....?"

Minion: "Yeah...I know....it's kinda weird.....Incidentaly, they just sent me their new recording, it's called "Armed & Extremely Dangerous....."

Boss: "That title is pure Motown shit. Do they sound like the Supremes"?

Minion: "Well.......yeah......I guess........."

Boss: "Is this another one of those 'big in England' things"?

Minion: "........I.....guess......"

Boss: "Release 'em. NOW!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Can't agree with the above & think Ian is making it all up.

I e-mail Billy Boss & Mike Minion on a regular basis and they have NEVER mentioned such a conversation.

They did once tell me though that in Bill's basement there are 100's of copies of all the Wand 45's that soul collectors think were never pressed up. He's just waiting for the right time to put em all up on Evilbay.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Can't agree with the above & think Ian is making it all up.

I e-mail Billy Boss & Mike Minion on a regular basis and they have NEVER mentioned such a conversation.

They did once tell me though that in Bill's basement there are 100's of copies of all the Wand 45's that soul collectors think were never pressed up. He's just waiting for the right time to put em all up on Evilbay.

I was being tongue in cheek after a few pints Roburt and responding to Steve's point about First Choice sounding like an old Supremes record..... :D

I'll try and be a bit more serious in future!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was being tongue in cheek after a few pints Roburt and responding to Steve's point about First Choice sounding like an old Supremes record..... :D

I'll try and be a bit more serious in future!

Ian I have double checked this now, and if you dust off the 'Paradise Garage' book you'll find your late night attempt at an updated Shakespearian play set in a record executive's office in NYC blended with injections of your boundless humour is indeed very similar as to exactlty how Mel Cherren remembers this point in time relating to this particular record. :yes:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Ian I have double checked this now, and if you dust off the 'Paradise Garage' book you'll find your late night attempt at an updated Shakespearian play set in a record executive's office in NYC blended with injections of your boundless humour is indeed very similar as to exactlty how Mel Cherren remembers this point in time relating to this particular record. :yes:

Bugger! No index in that book so I can't quickly check! :g:

However, that's sorted out a holiday re-read methinks. I really must invest in a kindle as lugging around all these books is a pain... :lol:

Social source share

No need to check, I've done it for you Ian. Cherren says he was pretty mad that they turned it down and were somewhat embarrassed when "Armed & Extremely dangerous" broke into the charts. Interesting book I agree.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

No, can't agree with either of you.

Bill Boss (who used to be label supremo at Wand after he had run Okeh & Bell but before he started Philly International & Gemingo) says he never had any such discussion. :lol::g::thumbsup::ohmy::P

Florence was still incharge at Scepter in 72 though....these record exec types - honestly I sometimes wonder if they'd agree on what day of the week it was on Friday :lol:

Social source share

No, can't agree with either of you.

Bill Boss (who used to be label supremo at Wand after he had run Okeh & Bell but before he started Philly International & Gemingo) says he never had any such discussion. :lol::g::thumbsup::ohmy::P

Roburt. I was THERE mate. I'd got into Wand/Sceptre because Mel Cheren fancied me and thus allowed me to go through the Wand/Sceptre promo cupboard in the mail-out room. There was an air vent system right next to the promo cupboard which fed into the meeting room next door so I heard the EXACT conversation OK? :lol::thumbup::P

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!