What Are The Top 10 Most Expensive Uk Releases From T' 70's-80's?

Yes it was Ian and it may have even got a Pye number too (sorry my books are not with me but I have a niggling thought it did). Pete Widd was the first one I know to get onto it, and that maybe the copy Mick has. I'll ask him if I see him at Cleethorpes.

Social source share

Is First Choice a test pressing?

I won a few crates of old James Hamilton's 45s in an auction some years ago after he died, there is some weird 70s/80s stuff in there you don't see at all. I'll find some time to sort through em. Basically nearly everyone sent him their records.

Pye acetate - I wouldn't rate this as being too collectable to be honest, if it was a vinyl test pressing then yes but as everyone knows, it's so easy to fake an acetate.

Social source share

Yes it was Ian and it may have even got a Pye number too (sorry my books are not with me but I have a niggling thought it did). Pete Widd was the first one I know to get onto it, and that maybe the copy Mick has. I'll ask him if I see him at Cleethorpes.

Number allocated by Pye - 25613

Social source share

I think it was probably just a Pye studios acetate, if anything it would have come out on Bell, it came out in the UK on the Bell LP.

Yes, I guess it would Pete. The U.S. Sceptre release is a bit of a red herring really as it was a Philly Groove recording which would have come out on Bell in the UK. I don't why they switched to Sceptre for that one off but that preceded them signing to Warners and then Salsoul so they were obviously on their way out from Philly Groove.......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Sorry Ian this is not correct.

The group (First Choice) came in via Georgie Woods. "This is the house" was their first record, and Norman Harris and Stan Watson worked on it. It was a Norman and Stan production and they would have leased it to Scepter as a one record deal. Stan then "weedled" the group away to his Philly Groove label and then they had their hits.

Wand / Scepter stuff was licensed through Pye at the time (1972) not Bell.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

The group (First Choice) came in via Georgie Woods. "This is the house" was their first record, and Norman Harris and Stan Watson worked on it. It was a Norman and Stan production and they would have leased it to Scepter as a one record deal. Stan then "weedled" the group away to his Philly Groove label and then they had their hits.

But that number you quote would have been a 1973 release.

Social source share

Ray Merrell - Tears of Joy - Jayboy 22 must be up there ??? cracking northern

Yeah someone did mention that earlier.

Fantastic record. £250 - £300. Which puts it in the expensive range.

Don't think anyone mentioned Skullsnaps - My Hang Up Is You £75 for a demo on GSF.

Social source share

Pye ay? Interesting. It was probably aligned with Ultra High Frequency which was also a Philly Groove production which came out on Sceptre in the U.S. as well.

Arrrggghhh!!

No,

That was Alan Felder and Stan Watson, some 6-8 months later, and btw although licensed through Scepter it came out on Wand. These guys were freelancing producers who were just getting songs done and then seeing who'd put them out, although Stan also had his label.

Any more guesswork or is that it for today? :lol:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

But that number you quote would have been a 1973 release.

Yes and my theory (guesswork :lol:) is that "Armed and Extremely dangerous" hit the charts and Pye thought "Oh we've got one by 1st Choice via our tie up with Scepter / Wand let's put it out"...makes some sense I think. Manship has a demo listed :ohmy:

Social source share

I'm not convinced about this and I never have been, ever since I first heard about it 25 odd years ago, I'd like to see some proof that that was the single allocated that catalogue number, it does come in a run of Scepter licensed releases but it could have been anything...bit like a "Volumes on Pama" scenario. If someone comes up with a finished demo copy, I will eat my wig.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep. My mistake. Got the Sceptre thing the wrong way round. Of course "This Is The House" was their first record! Doh...... :ohmy:

I wonder if the reason why First Choice never came out on PYE was because they switched to Philly Groove then? That would explain why it was on their UK Bell LP presumably....?

Social source share

Arrrggghhh!!

No,

That was Alan Felder and Stan Watson, some 6-8 months later, and btw although licensed through Scepter it came out on Wand. These guys were freelancing producers who were just getting songs done and then seeing who'd put them out, although Stan also had his label.

Any more guesswork or is that it for today? :lol:

LOL, that's what I get for spending the weekend trawling though banking stuff! So much for multi-tasking ay...? :lol:

Shit. I used to be good at this stuff LOL....

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Yep. My mistake. Got the Sceptre thing the wrong way round. Of course "This Is The House" was their first record! Doh...... :ohmy:

I wonder if the reason why First Choice never came out on PYE was because they switched to Philly Groove then? That would explain why it was on their UK Bell LP presumably....?

I think it didn't come out on Pye in 72 when it was issued in the US was because it wasn't a hit in the USA. The group didn't really become worthy in UK record label eyes until "Armed & Extremely dangerous" broke into the charts in 73.

As for the LP well it was co-Nickel Shoe music production, so nothing to stop Stan putting it out on his PG label or re-leasing it, indeed the B side "One step away" came out on the B side of "Smarty pants" (PG in US / Bell in the UK of course).

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm not convinced about this and I never have been, ever since I first heard about it 25 odd years ago, I'd like to see some proof that that was the single allocated that catalogue number, it does come in a run of Scepter licensed releases but it could have been anything...bit like a "Volumes on Pama" scenario. If someone comes up with a finished demo copy, I will eat my wig.

I think your wig's safe for the moment Pete. I've never seen one.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

There is a major clue in the name of the site and the forum this topic is in.

Hell of an echo in here :lol:

as we had discussions by members on here who left the scene and went to punk and then came back

and we had sex pistols God save the Queen on record of the day 2012

and it does not state "Soul " is the reason i posted it

Social source share

Pye acetate - I wouldn't rate this as being too collectable to be honest, if it was a vinyl test pressing then yes but as everyone knows, it's so easy to fake an acetate.

Which brings us nicely onto David Rhodes "hung up in mid air" a Pye acetate I had to pay a fair bit for. Think there's 3 of them.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Jon Ford - You got me where you want me - Philips

issue £125

demo £250 - £300

not a lot of people know this but the demo is a different mix to the issue

Now here is one you may not know, probably a one off

JAYBOY BOY 72 hand written test press

side 1 Bobby Garrett - I Can't Get Away

side 2 Bob & Earl Band - My little girl

Bob & Earl Band was BOY 73 so this obviously is a cock up when they were pressing 72 & 73, but it does exist (Mick Smith)

Social source share

The Free isn't worth much...its a failed Richard Searling spin...he's holding it up on the pic with Russ and Kev.There's a rare version of Give Me Just a Little More Timeby Wayne Fontana demo only I'm led to believe.

No it's on an issue as well mate, I"ve had one, it got pulled after a week or something like that

Social source share

Is the Noel McCalla 45 on Direction ("One More Heartache / Beggin") from 1980 worth owt on a demo ?

....... and did CBS release anything else on Direction during that time period ?

Don't think it's worth anything but they appeared to have reactivated the label just for him.

Social source share

In terms of rarity I remember when UA put out the Bobby Goldsboro maxi single c 1978, Jo Wallace was pretty close to the guy responsible for it. She told me they only did 35 demo copies, so for that reason I made sure I got one :lol: . So for a 70s pressing the demos must be quite rare, but as I say, Bobby Goldsboro :rolleyes:

Social source share

In terms of rarity I remember when UA put out the Bobby Goldsboro maxi single c 1978, Jo Wallace was pretty close to the guy responsible for it. She told me they only did 35 demo copies, so for that reason I made sure I got one :lol: . So for a 70s pressing the demos must be quite rare, but as I say, Bobby Goldsboro :rolleyes:

Maybe she should have made sure he put the right version of Too Many People on instead of that tame second version that did come out :lol:

p.s. she is talking b*llocks

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!