What Are The Top 10 Most Expensive Uk Releases From T' 70's-80's?

After a loose conversation with a mate recently about this subject my mind started involuntary list making again - what are the top ten most expensive UK releases from the 1970's & '80's?

Excluding Frank Wilson, the 100 Club Anniversary singles and stuff on Grapevine....

Before I go to bed and without giving it alot of thought here's what immediately came to my mind:

Jones Brothers (UK Pye)

Basic Black & Pearl

Jimmy James (UK Pye) "Hey Girl"

Otis Clay (UK Red Atlantic)

Willie Fisher (UK Jama)

Gladys Knight (UK TMG)

I know there's tons I can't think of at the moment - go on help a tired mind out.

derek x

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

I'm useless on record values (way out of date on what's now in & what used to be in but has now 'gone off the boil') but a few nice UK 70's (relative) rarities are .......

Sir Ted Ford on Ardent (9001)

Sir Ted Ford on Barak (BAR 3)

The Imperials & Ray Munnings (?) on Tammi

Mickey Stevenson on Ember (EMBS 329)

Shirley Alston on London (HLA 10506)

A couple of Charles Drains on RCA (+ other UK 70's RCA stuff)

Howeefeel on Contempo (+ a couple of others on Contempo from the same Chicago source)

A few items that used to be 25p records have also shot up in price (relatively) -- the likes of The Bottom Line on GTO springs to mind).

When did the G C Cameron on Flamingo come out (80's I guess, so that will not count)

If we do slip over into the 80's, then the 4 Tops "Your Song" has to figure as well.

Lots more UK items qualify but its too early in the day for my brain to be working well (I will I still had an effective memory ... old age, I does really suck).

Social source share

A few 'cheap as chips' items that shouldn't be overlooked .......

Carl Douglas -- Changing Times (Pye)

Al Matthews -- Run To You (Electric + his "People Are People" ... not so cheap)

Al Matthews -- Its Only Love (Mercury)

Alma Faye -- I Believed (Flamingo)

Delegation -- Baby You're My Mystery (State)

... 70's / 80's ???? .......

Paul Jackson -- You Made Me A Winner (Orbitone)

Craig Pruess (Ariola)

.... 80's .......

Roy Young -- You Never Had It So Good (on EMI's TSOGB inking)

Roy Young -- Love Sweeter Than Fruit (on EMI's TSOGB inking)

Oliver Cheatham -- Be Thankful For What You've Got (Champion)

Delegation -- Its Your Turn (CBS)

Delegation -- One More Step To Take (UK recording but Europe only on single)

Social source share

Another that just might be jumping up in value .... now that Boba has got behind it ...

... Grand Theft -- Body Talk (Sunburst / EMI)

They are a UK 'white' group produced by Heavy Metal-ites in 1978

.... but their tracks sound very AWB-ish ... NICE !!!

Social source share

....RE: alma faye on a 45 isnt cheap as chips !

I have it on 45 so to me it was an easy find (back when it was a new issue; think I paid 10p for it at R&T Exch).

...... but my first post on this thread did state that I have no idea on record values anymore !!!

Social source share

I think Fork in the Road just squeezes in, although I've never seen a full blown issue only the test pressing - someone did say there is one about.

There is Steve, definitely, I used it on the front cover of Beatin Rhythm 6 back in 1990, I could say where it is as well but he might not want me to so I won't.

The rarest 70's release by a mile, in and in my opinion one of the rarest 3 UK releases ever is....

Billy Harner - What about the music - Kama Sutra INSTRUMENTAL VERSION

Social source share

A true case in point though ...... rare doesn't equate to good in any way, shape or form.

BREAKIN INTO SONG ... Gimme the moonlight, gimme me the music & ... make it the vocal version.

Social source share

what is the fork in the road track you mentioned? who is it by?

Artist - Fork In The Road

Title - Can't Turn Around Now

from Detroit GM label

most copies on the blue Ember design, hand written details.

Issue is on the black Ember label, same design as Mr Floods party (which is also rare)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To Pete... No its definately soul...a black artist.Will go through the collection later and dig it out.Brown label and Paradox written in white.There's some other UK things that are still unknown Joe Benjamin Good Morning Baby on the UPC....I sold a spare I had to Wellers bass player Andy Lewis....I've a really obscure version of Lost And Found by the Peoples Choice but by Referendum on Uk RCA...The Stuart Brown RCA 45 went for over 150 recently on Manships as well....Exotics 45 s are getting harder to find as well.

Social source share

To Pete... No its definately soul...a black artist.Will go through the collection later and dig it out.Brown label and Paradox written in white.There's some other UK things that are still unknown Joe Benjamin Good Morning Baby on the UPC....I sold a spare I had to Wellers bass player Andy Lewis....I've a really obscure version of Lost And Found by the Peoples Choice but by Referendum on Uk RCA...The Stuart Brown RCA 45 went for over 150 recently on Manships as well....Exotics 45 s are getting harder to find as well.

Only other one I can find is by "Errol Daniel" but that might be reggae

Social source share

RE: Missing You on Mojem by Jimmy James far rarer than Hey Girl & far better too IMO.

....... can't be bad as I've also got a copy of J.J's Mojem 4 tracker that contains this cut.

(the colour of the Mojem 45 on that youtube clip ain't too close to the real shade of blue of the label).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

RE: Missing You on Mojem by Jimmy James far rarer than Hey Girl & far better too IMO.

....... can't be bad as I've also got a copy of J.J's Mojem 4 tracker that contains this cut.

(the colour of the Mojem 45 on that youtube clip ain't too close to the real shade of blue of the label).

Bet the labels are reversed too.

Not 100% here but think Jimmy sold these direct around the clubs & were probably only around 500 pressed.

Know a few people who got them this way from him.

Noticed the colour too.

Yours got a picture cover?

Social source share

Not 100% here but think Jimmy sold these direct around the clubs.....

...... I am of the same opinion; came out after Jimmy was dropped by Pye & he was still doing very regular live gigs back then (when I think he was still residing in Retford -- down near the railway stn).

Yours got a picture cover? ........

Probably had when new, but didn't have when I picked my copy up (about 10 yrs after its initial release).

..... another 10p blind buy of mine ... loads of these buys turn out to be gud recids to make frisbee's out of but a few 'fly' musically speakin'.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

A true case in point though ...... rare doesn't equate to good in any way, shape or form.

BREAKIN INTO SONG ... Gimme the moonlight, gimme me the music & ... make it the vocal version.

billy harner..........well rare only about 6ish copies l believe

Social source share

..... another 10p blind buy of mine ... loads of these buys turn out to be gud recids to make frisbee's out of but a few 'fly' musically speakin'.

Yep, same here. I did loads of blind buying in the late 70's. I used to buy 2000 UK records a time for 2p each, then cream off the interesting stuff and then sell them on for 10p each! Most of the stock tended to be UK promos which were filling up the radio stations record libraries so they'd have annual culls and dump 1000's of records into certain shops or dealers around the UK. I had major hits of this kind of stuff in Nottingham, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds and Harrogate from '77-'79 which included Ray Munnings, G.C. Cameron, Marva Hicks, Darlene Love, Paul Kendrick, Bo Cooper, Craig Pruess, Ruby Andrews and numerous others.

In fact, one of my jobs this summer is to go through several shelves of the UK Soul stuff and remind me of what's there again......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Yep, same here. I did loads of blind buying in the late 70's. I used to buy 2000 UK records a time for 2p each, then cream off the interesting stuff and then sell them on for 10p each! Most of the stock tended to be UK promos which were filling up the radio stations record libraries so they'd have annual culls and dump 1000's of records into certain shops or dealers around the UK. I had major hits of this kind of stuff in Nottingham, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds and Harrogate from '77-'79 which included Ray Munnings, G.C. Cameron, Marva Hicks, Darlene Love, Paul Kendrick, Bo Cooper, Craig Pruess, Ruby Andrews and numerous others.

In fact, one of my jobs this summer is to go through several shelves of the UK Soul stuff and remind me of what's there again......

The bulk of them must have ended up in the legendary Vinyl Junkie list/book.......I lent this list to Gary F and never got it back :( :( The best list EVER?

Social source share

Would have thought that as it is a thread in ALL ABOUT THE SOUL on a site called Soul Source might have explained that :)

in a nutshell... anyway one of two more

drifters pour your little heart out epic

ron keith gotta go by (a & m

china burton on logo

lee vanderbilt. pick up your troubles on bell

ray merrell on jayboy

gonzalez hole in my soul rak

well they dont turn up much and go for a bit of money it would appear

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

There are also a few nice collectable items on Alaska (some of the Cymande releases on the label seem to command decent prices).

if we slip a year into 1980; then there are some good 45's on little Notts label Rondelet that are chased after (though they cocked up with their version of the Rain bows Valley release).

More decent things on Ember from the same Detroit source as 'Fork In The Road'.

I always thought of the Chi-lites "Changing For You" (R&B Recs) as a 10p single, but that seemed to jump up in price around 5/6 years back.

At least a couple of decent outings by reggae guy Leroy Brown on EMI ..... can anyone tell me what his last 45 on EMI ("Holding Out") is like ... soul or reggae ?

Social source share

the foundations on psycho used to make good money ,and Mick Smiths first choice must be worth a bob or two

Is First Choice a test pressing?

I won a few crates of old James Hamilton's 45s in an auction some years ago after he died, there is some weird 70s/80s stuff in there you don't see at all. I'll find some time to sort through em. Basically nearly everyone sent him their records.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

These are quite hard to find these days (imo).

1.Johnny Moore "Your broken heart" Towerbell.

2.Jackie Payne "I found myself" Barak.

3.Rokotto"FunkTheory" State.( a Scottish funk outfit)

4.Paradise"One mind two hearts"Priority. (the lp is is very hard to find)

post-505-0-57125000-1339335774_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-09525300-1339335786_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-64445300-1339335796_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-86113500-1339335821_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Which First Choice is this?

Ian,i would have thought it would be "this the house where love died"

hope your well my friend long time no see since Dewsbury.

Toby

Social source share

Ian,i would have thought it would be "this the house where love died"

hope your well my friend long time no see since Dewsbury.

Toby

LOL, Dewsbury. Which decade was that then? :lol:

If it is "This Is The House (Where Love Died)" that surprises me. I wasn't aware that it was ever slated for a UK release. Mind you, I have a 20th Century UK acetate of R.B. Greaves "Let's Try It Again" that never came out either, so I guess anything's possible......

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!