Wendell Watts "kiss A Good Thing Goodbye (Reforee)

Guy H originally at Stafford I think.

I've got one. Still not that well known amazingly. Blank faces whenever I spin it out but a great sound.

guy got his from graham anthony ...after stafford... ....more tony's empress ballrooms...pretty sure on that!!???.....don't know where that copy went???

.....brilliant sound like you say though!!!.....

more recently over the years have only heard butch play it occasionally

is that "blank faces" of shear amazement!!!!????...maybe lol !!

Edited by cobbles
Social source share

guy got his from graham anthony ...after stafford... ....more tony's empress ballrooms...pretty sure on that!!???.....don't know where that copy went???

.....brilliant sound like you say though!!!.....

more recently over the years have only heard butch play it occasionally

is that "blank faces" of shear amazement!!!!????...maybe lol !!

Hi Franc

Hope you well.

I have Guy's old copy. Guy had a few records for sale at the stall in Afflecks in MCR some time in the early - mid 9T's. Think Rod even lent me the money to buy it so Guy could get paid there and then!

Yes played it at Bidds about a year ago and it cleared the floor and somewhere else that i played recently and it bombed!

Perhaps the people there didn't go to Tony's etc so don't know it or can't remember it.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Yes played it at Bidds about a year ago and it cleared the floor and somewhere else that i played recently and it bombed!

Perhaps the people there didn't go to Tony's etc so don't know it or can't remember it.

hi phil, i'm good mate....hope you are too......

its a great example of a underplayed and rare record that's ripe for exposure again!!!

maybe the theme of the thread should have been "is it worthy of deck time?"...so here goes folks....what do soulsourcers think???....

[media=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTRbKM5hHgw

Edited by cobbles
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest giant

Guy H originally at Stafford I think.

I've got one. Still not that well known amazingly. Blank faces whenever I spin it out but a great sound.

rare and great 'wish i had one

Social source share

OHH, I forgot, most NS fans would rather eat glass than buy a CD !!

didn't know it had been released on cd......imo it's great that tracks like these are finding there way on to cds whilst still being relatively "unknown" to the masses....thumbs up to Adey for thinking it worthy of inclusion!...(and a finger in joanie's eye...always knew it were Tony who had the better taste in music !!!! :P )

Social source share

I've actually had more interest in it when I've played it on the radio, than when I've played it out.

Still it stays in the 100 count box...and comes out for a spin sometimes - last time was "A Taste of Honey" in M/C the other week....

It's too good to give up on.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's actually very easy to get this track, I have it for instance .....

JUST BUY the Kent CD 'Northern Soul's Classiest Rarities Vol 4' ....

Have you any evidence that NS fans don't buy CDs? Or are you just beng mischievous and stirring it?

I know many who buy CDs. But that's itsnt the point here, the original question was about the record, it's rarity and price.

Social source share

I prefer it to You Girl and think I have only danced to it a handfull of times due to rarity.

I prefer Mrs Mills to You Girl, can't believe he can be so good on one, the subject of this, and so woeful on the other You Girl!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Ref-O-Ree now there's a story.

Wendell Watts KAGTG...... What a tune must of asked Butch to sell me his copy since at least the very first Cleethorpes weekender and every year it must of gone up 50 to 100 pound but he never really wanted to part with it.

Have one now so stopped asking him for it.

Top top tune and perhaps in the top 3 rarest on the label from the Northern/rare soul point of view.

Must find more out about the label ??????

Social source share

Steve

Was being tongue in cheek mate about need to know more about the label.

What you doing at home why aren't you Spining tunes somewhere. Those promoters don't know what They are missing .....????? Or do they? that's why they don't have you on mate you could do a HOT box with their throw aways and still knock spots of them.

Dave H

Social source share

Loved this since I first heard Keb play it out nearly 30 years ago when he first started playing 60s newies (yes, and before the pedants start throwing their dummies at me, I know it's a 1970 release).

If there's one thing that can be said, the intro sounds like it's from the score of a 1960s Bollywood movie!

"Sits back and awaits hate posts as a result of the last comment....."

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Just listened to the clip, havnt listened to it for a fair while & yes its brilliant - strangely it encompasses all the things that a classic traditional style stomper should have & typifies a certain sound from back in the day, yet has never ever reached the popularity that it should have, I wonder why ?.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hi phil, i'm good mate....hope you are too......

its a great example of a underplayed and rare record that's ripe for exposure again!!!

maybe the theme of the thread should have been "is it worthy of deck time?"...so here goes folks....what do soulsourcers think???....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTRbKM5hHgw[/media]

That's the first time I've heard it and I thought it was brilliant. Played it a couple of times and liked it more each time I heard it.

Maybe those that have it should revert to the tried and tested method of playing it 5 times in a set until people dance :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's actually very easy to get this track, I have it for instance .....

JUST BUY the Kent CD 'Northern Soul's Classiest Rarities Vol 4' ....

:facepalm::dash2:

Most NS fans have dozens of CDs, what you don't seem to have understood is that most would rather eat glass than play a tune off them when DJing at a gig (unless the tune is only available on CD such as is the case with more recent releases).

Social source share

Just listened to the clip, havnt listened to it for a fair while & yes its brilliant - strangely it encompasses all the things that a classic traditional style stomper should have & typifies a certain sound from back in the day, yet has never ever reached the popularity that it should have, I wonder why ?.

Best Russ

I think because not enough DJs have it Russ.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I like it and I only sold my copy cause I was skint. The single does have a bad eq though which detracts from it a bit, the CD EQ we did was as good as you can get the sound on it so actually sounds better than the 45. A good DJ could twiddle the knobs and get it near there but if you played it flat it wouldn't sound quite so hot. ady

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!