I Think I'm On The Change

For the intro: I love Soul music, I love Northern Soul music... always have and always will I've been into it almost 40 years. I would even go as far as to say that I love all variants of soul music. However... this is the question. Have I moved on too far where liking the something such as the Kanye West / Jay Z album is a step too far. I think its a brilliant piece of production. It uses samples from such soul heroes as Otis and Curtis. I'm also drawn to the Amy Winehouse / Adele / Paloma Faith sounds, simply because they are soulful. Whats wrong with blue eyed soul? Does that make me an outcast bearing in mind, like I said originally, my roots are within the Northern / Modern soul origins. Same with (and yes there has been a thread about this recently) the fashion side of things. What is wrong with keeping up to date music wise and letting those that will delve into the musical archives to plunder our soul heroes work but yet move on with the music / fashion world of today.

Hope that makes sense :g:

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If you like it Steve, that's all that matters mate.

I happen to think that some of the recent offerings by Mr Cee Lo Green are infinitely more listenable than some of the unwarranted funky offerings foisted upon me!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

If you like it Steve, that's all that matters mate.

I happen to think that some of the recent offerings by Mr Cee Lo Green are infinitely more listenable than some of the unwarranted funky offerings foisted upon me!

Thank God for that..... I am normal :yes:

Love CeeLo and he's got a far better voice than some of those on the records that we value so dearly. OK, they are rare but come on, in many cases they are rare for a reason and I'm sure I don't need to explain why :thumbsup:

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mellytee

I am currently addicted to Blunderbuss album by Jack White which is probably so far from soul it possibly is real soul LOLOL almost 'honky tonk' piano in places but the production is fabulous, lyrics are great and I lurve it.........don't black ball me!!!!! :D:lol:

Social source share

For the intro: I love Soul music, I love Northern Soul music... always have and always will I've been into it almost 40 years. I would even go as far as to say that I love all variants of soul music. However... this is the question. Have I moved on too far where liking the something such as the Kanye West / Jay Z album is a step too far. I think its a brilliant piece of production. It uses samples from such soul heroes as Otis and Curtis. I'm also drawn to the Amy Winehouse / Adele / Paloma Faith sounds, simply because they are soulful. Whats wrong with blue eyed soul? Does that make me an outcast bearing in mind, like I said originally, my roots are within the Northern / Modern soul origins. Same with (and yes there has been a thread about this recently) the fashion side of things. What is wrong with keeping up to date music wise and letting those that will delve into the musical archives to plunder our soul heroes work but yet move on with the music / fashion world of today.

Hope that makes sense :g:

Steve

Welcome to the real world. :thumbsup:

Roger

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I am currently addicted to Blunderbuss album by Jack White which is probably so far from soul it possibly is real soul LOLOL almost 'honky tonk' piano in places but the production is fabulous, lyrics are great and I lurve it.........don't black ball me!!!!! :D:lol:

Bugger...waslooking for an 8 ball (black ball) smiley and there isnt one. :dash2:

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Cant see anything to wrong about liking other stuff,myself for me Northern soul(as it was named)will always be number one for me,however I to have heard some of the modern"stuff",that imo would be kicked into touch by a white singer and band ".Southside johnny and the jukes",who do far more soulful and some ",northern soulful",sounding stuff.I also am a big fan of the early blues and without a doubt thats more appealing to the ear and mind,than a lot of recent offerings .Im certainly not a wearer of flap s and buttoned down bags and an array of badges(never had or bought or even found and kept one in my life)the only thing written on my all nighter back of old was adidas and any of future use wouldnt even have that on it however i am to old to follow fashion ,i even hate bootcuts,give me straight leg any day(bootcuts remind me of flares and them damn hippies and status quo and mud fans)I shop mostly at john lewis(hope to be paid for the plug they do a nice line in casual smart I do however tend to stick to brands such as la coste,ralph loren ,fred perry have always gone for leather soled shoes though I do wear "trainers",along with carpet slippers at home..However as for"northern soul",I foo ken love the stuff of my era and a bit before the most by far though some recnt stuff sounds good, so in that way to some I am a dinosaur firmly stuck in the past,having come back to things after more than thirty years awy from the scene it seems there are new(well to me) words to know",handbagger","youth club record" etc,dont know if I am to old to learn to use those sort of words in the acceptable way,,who knows they may apply to me ?I dont know I am only a newie oldie back having a look around?I was one of those who didnt take drugs ,bollocks sorry did take and st.. .. ,sorry bout that again.take drugs at all nighters and other places so dont wont and cant condemn the tiny minority(from reading many forum entries it seems I must have been really out of my head back then as nearly everybody around me didnt take drugs)who did.Well much to learn no doubt as a newie oldie so back to my homework

.ps bloody hell most of the folk at all nighters back then were straight as far as taking amphetamines was concerned were they!?,bloody hell those lying bastards! so they danced and verballed all night, got their eyes to show huge pupils(ah that must of been because it was dark! mind you what about in the foyers and when the lights were on ?they still stayed big)and most of all told us(blockers) lies that they were blocked when they were not! How unfair of them all to trick us few it seems who did indulge into thinking it was normal as they were nearly all doing it to,bloody lying bar stewards, foo ken shame on them all,shame on them for tricking poor blockers at allnighters.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!