Supremes V Christine Cooper

I have often listened to Christine Cooper Heartaches away and the simliarities between this and Stop in the name of love and Nothing but heartaches to me are stark.

Just looked and Christine Cooper is AFTER these two tunes. Just wondered if there was some element of copying going on here?

Are there any obvious links that I have missed??

Just thinking out loud really.

Any views would be good.

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Detroit had a major influence on a fair amount of US city's. Philly, the No.4 ranked market in the US was a perfect hunting ground to pitch the Detroit sound to a larger East Coast white market.

My dear friend Jerry Blavat(a 60's icon) who

was a prolific Philly Radio DJ received In My Lonely Room- Martha and the Vandellas as a Gordy promo, used his A&R/DJ skills to tip off his close friends Kenny Gamble and Jerry Ross, who in turn re-vamped the Motown hottie into The 81 by Candy and the Kisses.

The latter scoring in 1965 and eventually selling more than Martha's epic.

A case of Made in Detroit, copied elsewhere, sold to the world.

Now where have we heard that before.

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

I have often listened to Christine Cooper Heartaches away and the simliarities between this and Stop in the name of love and Nothing but heartaches to me are stark.

Just looked and Christine Cooper is AFTER these two tunes. Just wondered if there was some element of copying going on here?

Are there any obvious links that I have missed??

Just thinking out loud really.

Any views would be good.

Interesting, but don't the white labels have 1964 on them? Or are they boots?

Social source share

The 1964 has to do with when the label design came out not the year of release.

Mar-V-Lus and One-Der-Ful also have dates on them which have nothing to do with when the

45 came out.

The One-Der-Ful/Mar-V-Lus/M-Pac year is the year when those labels' trademarks were copyrighted. The Motown years are the years in which that particular song was published and first copyrighted.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I have often listened to Christine Cooper Heartaches away and the simliarities between this and Stop in the name of love and Nothing but heartaches to me are stark. Just looked and Christine Cooper is AFTER these two tunes. Just wondered if there was some element of copying going on here?

Are there any obvious links that I have missed?? Just thinking out loud really. Any views would be good.

Well, we're all aware how many labels/artists tried to copy Motown, the most successful black operated label of all time. Berry Gordy was very fast on his feet if he suspected plagiarism, he won court settlement against Curtis Mayfield for "Can't satisfy" and stopped the release of "Baby reconsider" because of a threat of court action, as far as I know this didn't happen to this tune, thanks heavens. I always thought CC looked a bit like a Supreme member. What's really interesting (well to me anyway) is that Heartaches away is a Super K production, these were the Kasenetz Katz people who went onto huge success with Bubble Gum.

Social source share

wasn't that the story for Lillie Bryant 'meet me halfway ' too.

B.G. thought the intro was too similar to ' This old heart of mine '?

Someone told me the release was withdrawn, partly explaining why it's so hard.

Anyone confirm this, or dispute this ? [ Jumps into a bunker, awaiting a storm of corrections and comments ]

pete

Social source share

Just looked and Christine Cooper is AFTER these two tunes. Just wondered if there was some element of copying going on here? Are there any obvious links that I have missed?? Just thinking out loud really. Any views would be good.

Christine Cooper trivia, she dated Eddie Holman....................... :yes:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Detroit had a major influence on a fair amount of US city's. Philly, the No.4 ranked market in the US was a perfect hunting ground to pitch the Detroit sound to a larger East Coast white market.

My dear friend Jerry Blavat(a 60's icon) who

was a prolific Philly Radio DJ received In My Lonely Room- Martha and the Vandellas as a Gordy promo, used his A&R/DJ skills to tip off his close friends Kenny Gamble and Jerry Ross, who in turn re-vamped the Motown hottie into The 81 by Candy and the Kisses.

The latter scoring in 1965 and eventually selling more than Martha's epic.

A case of Made in Detroit, copied elsewhere, sold to the world.

Now wher

e have we heard that before.

in my lonely room...........how is that anything like the 81?

Social source share

If you play the two back to back, I don't know how you could miss the similiarities.

There's an interview in There's That Beat (#8) with Jerry Ross who co -wrote "The 81" with Kenny Gamble.

He tells how he went to a record hop and saw everyone doing a new dance to "In My Lonely Room"- he asked

the kids the name of it- found out it was called "The 81" . He wrote the song the next day with Kenny Gamble

and admits to basing it on "In My Lonely Room".

Edited by the yank
Social source share

in my lonely room...........how is that anything like the 81?

Of course it does. Just listen to the intro for a start.

Kenny Gamble verified to me in 2006 after my friend Jerry Ross confirmed to me 35 years ago during a trip to Philly.

My original posting is completely accurate.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Kenny Gamble verified to me in 2006 after my friend Jerry Ross confirmed to me 35 years ago during a trip to Philly.

Take cover everyone, KR's dropping names from a great height again... :wicked:

Social source share

Just looked and Christine Cooper is AFTER these two tunes. Just wondered if there was some element of copying going on here? Are there any obvious links that I have missed?? Just thinking out loud really. Any views would be good.

Maybe if C-P weren't farting about with a played out Chubster then they could have promoted the heck out of it and it would been a big hit (but then we'd not want would we ? :g: ).

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

well you ought know l suppose....both are probably played 7 or 8 times a night at your venue :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Take cover everyone, KR's dropping names from a great height again... :wicked:

l was having a few beers the other night with kenny and jerry and blow me me lynn vernardo and the velvet satins came in,we all got well pissed and agreed lonely room sounds nowt like the 81...then off for some supper round towanda barnes gaff

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

l was having a few beers the other night with kenny and jerry and blow me me lynn vernardo and the velvet satins came in,we all got well pissed and agreed lonely room sounds nowt like the 81...then off for some supper round towanda barnes gaff

I got to meet Jerry Ross, he looked like a retired auto-worker out on a retiree's outing.................. :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

l do remember you (kevin) standing on wigan station clutching your copy of cochise....at least you're consistent in it for the money from day 1

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert