Brief Feedback From Bank Holiday Events

A topic that comes up time and time again with the ammount of events...

No need for this to go tits up, just some brief feedback on what was a very very busy bank holiday weekend with extra day, Queens Jubilee events, kids off school, summer holidays etc etc etc....

Always good for us doing promotions to pick up on feedback..

Its very clear that the ammount of events and cash are playing a big part in the attendance of events.. Something as got to give as shown by Lifeline thread on here... So many weekenders been already and many many more to come.. Something as got to give i guess....

In Manchester we had a number of events.. My own little club with its 1st Birthday... Numbers up a touch with it being the anniversary, was hoping for extra numbers but more than happy WITH SO MUCH ON....

Manchester European soul weekend with Saturday day event, Saturday niter, 12 hour Sunday all dayer, Monday all dayer??? ( was only there Sunday, great venue, quality music and nice crowd/ vibe but not huge numbers..

Manchester MOHO Monday 2 room all niter????

Feedback from other parts of the country???

No need for chapter and verse, we have our own events feedback, just an brief on numbers and expectations... I guess it will be the same as most weekends in that some will be packed, some will be ok and others will struggle..

Feedback helps us in forward planning of events, a good promoter does listen to the punters...

Regards :hatsoff2:

Social source share

soulvation weekender at weston super mere was very busy saturday nite not sure on numbers but the club holds 200 i believe and looked at least two thirds full with a great atmosphere not so many on friday mayb 80 but still a great nite,not sure about sundat as i was back in bristol recovering!

dean

Social source share

soulvation weekender at weston super mere was very busy saturday nite not sure on numbers but the club holds 200 i believe and looked at least two thirds full with a great atmosphere not so many on friday mayb 80 but still a great nite,not sure about sundat as i was back in bristol recovering!

dean

- Weston - agree I think Sat attendance was around 150-160, which I thought is great for the South West. Busy dancefloor all night too.

- Soulgate quiet at first, but I understand from the Pics it filled up after I left :P:

- Wrest Park yesterday quite busy, mainly kids and just managed to avert the rain. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

fully looking forward to a full weekend of partying then a virus knocked me off my feet.

but not before the do in petebrough on friday night. 1st visit decent little venue and good playlists from all DJs

gary spencer and kev draper and mr fortnum played the best spots for me.

the "grab it grab it" record 1st time i've heard that a what a great uptempo 60s along with the version of "respect" also fabtastic.

after that I managed a pub lunch yestreday and that was it back to work...... ho hum.

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Friday 1st June: Durham Gala Theatre Sold Out with just over 400 in

Saturday 2nd June: Chesterfield Winding Wheel over 500 in

Cheers Phil

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

It appears some promoters are putting on soul nights to close to others, which is affecting the attendance of established venues IMHO

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Southampton alldayer was busy about 250 i would say, despite a soul nite on the night before, which would have affected the numbers coming from Bmth, lots of traverlers, quite a few missing local promotors, hey ho, nothing new there :g: , overall a good day out for everyone i would say

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I've not been anywhere for a long time personally. But have noticed that quite a few events have had very good Dj's crammed into an event thereby giving each one less than an hour. Some do half an hour x2 at different times. I personally hate this and would never attend as in my humble.....doesn't give them time to flow. Just voicing an opinion, and not getting at anyone. I base my opinion on my own feelings when I have done short sets. Deflated, unable to get into a flow, cheated and unsatisfied. I always think good Dj's need at least an hour. We used to regularly do an hour and fifteen minutes at Burnley, and regularly gave a guests one and a half hours and two hours for Butch.

Too many cooks, too many chiefs etc. etc.

We know why promoters do it. They hope more Dj's = more friends/hangers on to swell the numbers through the door.

Why not try for quality and have fewer, but better Dj's?

Why am I bothering?????????? :lol:

I've not been anywhere for a long time personally. But have noticed that quite a few events have had very good Dj's crammed into an event thereby giving each one less than an hour. Some do half an hour x2 at different times. I personally hate this and would never attend as in my humble.....doesn't give them time to flow. Just voicing an opinion, and not getting at anyone. I base my opinion on my own feelings when I have done short sets. Deflated, unable to get into a flow, cheated and unsatisfied. I always think good Dj's need at least an hour. We used to regularly do an hour and fifteen minutes at Burnley, and regularly gave a guests one and a half hours and two hours for Butch.

We know why promoters do it. They hope more Dj's = more friends/hangers on to swell the numbers through the door.

Phil i totally agree

Social source share

Phil i totally agree

Me too, give three or four good DJ's an hour and a half or couple of hours each, but never going to happen mate.....Crowds too fickle and Promoters feel under too much pressure so they cram on a big line up in the hope it will attract punters....Pointless really....Have always thought same thing....At Southampton we could have had five DJ's alternating between the two rooms...Pick people who can do main room sets and rare and underplayed and let them alternate, like I said though, will never happen.... :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest nubes

Me too, give three or four good DJ's an hour and a half or couple of hours each, but never going to happen mate.....Crowds too fickle and Promoters feel under too much pressure so they cram on a big line up in the hope it will attract punters....Pointless really....Have always thought same thing....At Southampton we could have had five DJ's alternating between the two rooms...Pick people who can do main room sets and rare and underplayed and let them alternate, like I said though, will never happen.... :hatsoff2:

Rich ..if you feel that it could work...take a gamble mate..someone has got to break the cycle..the only thing..is could a DJ...keep the momentum going for that time?..Delxxxxxx

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Rich ..if you feel that it could work...take a gamble mate..someone has got to break the cycle..the only thing..is could a DJ...keep the momentum going for that time?..Delxxxxxx

Hi Del, i persoanlly think a quality dj could dj anywhere and should be able to know what will work or not for the dance floor/venue for say a 2 hour spot but thats the point it would take quality djs to do that not 38 crammed into 5 hours lol hope your well my lovely xx

ps , been to a few doo`s where a quality dj has the punters at his/her mercy only for their time to finish to be folowed by a dj really not up to the task, not all about big money records its about gettin git right at the time and place imho

Social source share

There's far too many playing who cannot keep it going for forty five minutes DEL!..... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest nubes

Hi Del, i persoanlly think a quality dj could dj anywhere and should be able to know what will work or not for the dance floor/venue for say a 2 hour spot but thats the point it would take quality djs to do that not 38 crammed into 5 hours lol hope your well my lovely xx

Hi my fav Bear.. :) ..totally agree with ya there darling about a quality DJ..after all...that is what we punters expect..its a craft...an expensive hobby to compile records ..entertain and hopefully educate....

ps , been to a few doo`s where a quality dj has the punters at his/her mercy only for their time to finish to be folowed by a dj really not up to the task, not all about big money records its about gettin git right at the time and place imho

Know that fooker....only too depressingly well :huh: Delxxxxxx

Social source share

Guest nubes

There's far too many playing who cannot keep it going for forty five minutes DEL!..... :hatsoff2:

I could post something totally innappropiate here..but am waay too much of a fooking strumpet :D Delxxxxxxx

Social source share

Points about the time given to dj's are extremely well made [i.m.h.p.o. ]

At every Soul Nights @ Bridgwater I always give d-j's one and a quarter hours ; for our first ever all dayer, this Saturday just gone, and messrs Guarnori / Money / Rushton / Ginger T appearing, they got longer. All did 2 hours minimum. Feedback from the attendees was extremely favourable.

Just doesn't make sense to ask these guys to travel huge distances with extremely valuable records and then only let the crowd hear them for an bare hour [ or less ? ].

The all dayer had 150+, which is the biggest crowd we had at a S.N.@ B. ever. And that's going back 11 years now.

Pete lyster

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I could post something totally innappropiate here..but am waay too much of a fooking strumpet :D Delxxxxxxx

Yeah, just read it back and realised it was a wide open door for smut!..... :D

Social source share

Points about the time given to dj's are extremely well made [i.m.h.p.o. ]

At every Soul Nights @ Bridgwater I always give d-j's one and a quarter hours ; for our first ever all dayer, this Saturday just gone, and messrs Guarnori / Money / Rushton / Ginger T appearing, they got longer. All did 2 hours minimum. Feedback from the attendees was extremely favourable.

Just doesn't make sense to ask these guys to travel huge distances with extremely valuable records and then only let the crowd hear them for an bare hour [ or less ? ].

The all dayer had 150+, which is the biggest crowd we had at a S.N.@ B. ever. And that's going back 11 years now.

Pete lyster

Glad to hear it worked for you mate, always believed it makes far more sense....Wonder how many more will take notice?..... :yes:

Social source share

Guest nubes

Yeah, just read it back and realised it was a wide open door for smut!..... :D

Ha HA HA HA HA HAAAA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Delxxxxx

Social source share

Indeed why are you bothering, its a thread about what was on such a big long weekend... :shhh:.. As you said you aint out, this is about those that were...

Start another topic on djs times, its been done before but i am sure would get many comments again :yes:

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

sorry totally disagree, 1/2 slots should be the norm, for every great hour slot I've heard plenty of collectors, go out on limb with records that dont deserve dancefloor time, shorter sots should and do make things flow better, and the ego thing which most northern collectors seem to poccess in abundance, seems to respond really well to the competitive nature of short slots.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Indeed why are you bothering, its a thread about what was on such a big long weekend... :shhh:.. As you said you aint out, this is about those that were...

Start another topic on djs times, its been done before but i am sure would get many comments again :yes:

bleh.gifbleh.gifbleh.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

we went to a party oop north ....for a top bloke.......tell ya what best music for a long while.......amongst some reet neece people

Social source share

Guest welshruss

we went to a party oop north ....for a top bloke.......tell ya what best music for a long while.......amongst some reet neece people

Bloody right there.........was stormin all night.......restored my faith in this scene i can tell you.(or should that be "your scene" either way i only knew 12 tunes in 9 hours....brilliant)

By the way nice to meet you mate....lol....Russ

Edited by welshruss
Social source share