Anyone Remember This Character ?

Mak

Hi Mak,i was told recently hes back in Derby not dead sure,I remember i went to his 21st held in the Sadle bar at the Willington House Hotel(no longer there)

Thanks Gilly , Hector back in Derby , wonder if he still has his records.

Social source share

Hi Mak,last i saw was in the 80's.Kings Rd London,is some clothing arcade,possibly spins some tunes in there.Hazy memory though.LOL.

Kensington Arcade, near 'Barkers' - maybe it was Barkers old store - selling clothing and records.....Probably mid 80s....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't know him but his records must be the most easily recognisable around - as long as they're in his original white card sleeves. I don't think I've ever seen more neat, stylistic, uniform, hand written labelling. Always the same: Artist name in one top corner, title in the other, "Hector" bottom right and cat. number bottom left. So uniform you'd think they'd been typed out with a custom font. I used to have a few I bought from RE Cords in the late 70s - from the sale box.

I was in one of the record shops on Notting Hill Gate a couple of years ago and there up on the wall were at least half a dozen "Hectors", so looks like at least some of his collection is still circulating in London.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Yes mate he was the manager and before that he worked at Nottinghams Selecta (he was known as Hector at Selecta)

Hi there you two groovey groovers how are you? me and Paula went to an R-n-B night in Birmingham a couple of month's ago with Chris and Celia Lemon and Chris said that Hector had gone through some high's and lows including being part or something to do with a famous musician (non soul) I can't say about the lows as they are private but I'm sure Chris said he either ended up in new zealand or Austrailia for a while then came back as Chris I think still see's him now and again see you along the way kiddiewink's respect and peace Simon.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I'm glad someone found it funny - a lot of efffort went into developing and timing that gag! :rolleyes:

I was going to say something but thought that your no was refering to Masla's comment's about the last of Hectors collection still circulating in London.

Social source share

I was going to say something but thought that your no was refering to Masla's comment's about the last of Hectors collection still circulating in London.

He who dares wins! :D

Seriously though I don't know this geezer. I'm guessing from the other posts that he was a serious (and very organised and tidy) collector? How good acollection was it? what sort of stuff?

Anyone know any more detail?

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

He who dares wins! :D

Seriously though I don't know this geezer. I'm guessing from the other posts that he was a serious (and very organised and tidy) collector? How good acollection was it? what sort of stuff?

Anyone know any more detail?

:thumbsup:Around the Derby and Burton areas this man's a ledgend Gilly will probably put you right but used to run a record shop in Derby called R.E.Cords (or CHORDS) used to do stack loads of reggae including new release white lables direct from Jamaica and skip loads of northern also found a lot of newies ect.not too sure but I think he ran the 76 club in Burton with Paul Gauld in the early to mid 70's loads of northern man , loads and probably had a lot of the major "today" spins as newies positive he was the first to have Hopkins bros my partners from Derby she knew him from way way way back (late sixties I think ) I'll see what she say's best ask Gilly man see ya Simon.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Cheers Simon. Sounds an interesting character.

Peter

Right bit of an update just spoke to Paula who knew him for years he didn't run 76 club but is back in Derby occasionally and now dresses like an African ?!?! that's about it. regards Simon.
Social source share

Yes Pete - and I still don't know. Just posted a few questions up about our mystery man.

Tell us a bit more Mak. (and how are you buddy?)

I'm fine Peter thank you . I spend a lot of my younger days in record shops , from leeds to Birmingham . But most of the time I was in Selecta-disc (Arkwright St ) or RE-Cords in Derby . Hector worked at both shops , but it was RE-cords I got know him , I think he worked there same time as Chris Lemon , he was one of the scenes true gentlemen . In them days if I had spent all my cash on records Hector would just say ''Shove em under your coat youth , pay me when you can , just don't tell Dave (owner) . And that was form day one , I had met him at various clubs , Cleo's being one of them . He later changed direction Musically heading more for the funk scene. That is where I lost touch basically . I later heard he had change his musical taste even more oddly , I believe he promoted The Ajanta Club in Derby , it was Derby's first and premier Punk venue . After that he moved down London and alas I did not hear from him again , I may still owe him £3.50 for a copy of Sandy Wynns - A Touch Of Venus .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Right bit of an update just spoke to Paula who knew him for years he didn't run 76 club but is back in Derby occasionally and now dresses like an African ?!?! that's about it. regards Simon.

Simon he DJ at CLeo's , did he hang round with Paul Baxter and Dave Milton ?

Edited by MAK
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Simon he DJ at CLeo's , did he hang round with Paul Baxter and Dave Milton ?

Hi there spoke to Paula Hector used to run a northern night in the early day's at the Derbyshire yeoman which is now a McDonalds on Markeaton roundabout and He used to hang around with Mick Spence and was at Paul Baxter's birthday bash last year .When he had his leaving do to go to London he had flyers made that looked like giant black bombers!! what a ledgend and good mates with Soul Sam during first wave modern/ funky type spins hence records like Hopkins Bros.These sort of guy's could teach us all a thing or two eh chap's regards Simon.

Social source share

Hi there spoke to Paula Hector used to run a northern night in the early day's at the Derbyshire yeoman which is now a McDonalds on Markeaton roundabout and He used to hang around with Mick Spence and was at Paul Baxter's birthday bash last year .When he had his leaving do to go to London he had flyers made that looked like giant black bombers!! what a ledgend and good mates with Soul Sam during first wave modern/ funky type spins hence records like Hopkins Bros.These sort of guy's could teach us all a thing or two eh chap's regards Simon.

Just to keep things in perspective it was Buzzy And Boycie who had the amusing idea of featuring durophet capsules on the invite to their leaving do when they went off to Canada in the mid 70s ( still got mine in a scrapbook somewhere )

Hector used to DJ at Cleos and think he may have played at Station Rd in the very very early days.

It was his old boss at RE Cords and the Blue Note Dave Milton that emigrated to Australia - still out there.

John Hector Heathcote shared a flat in London with Dr Robert of Blow Monkey's fame where he got to meet the legendary Curtis Mayfield as part of some project.

He spends most of his time now creating mash ups - he was regularly posting on You tube earlier this year.

That's as much as I am prepared to divulge !

regards to Paula and good luck with your new venture at the Spa

He is back in Derby

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Just to keep things in perspective it was Buzzy And Boycie who had the amusing idea of featuring durophet capsules on the invite to their leaving do when they went off to Canada in the mid 70s ( still got mine in a scrapbook somewhere )

Hector used to DJ at Cleos and think he may have played at Station Rd in the very very early days.

It was his old boss at RE Cords and the Blue Note Dave Milton that emigrated to Australia - still out there.

John Hector Heathcote shared a flat in London with Dr Robert of Blow Monkey's fame where he got to meet the legendary Curtis Mayfield as part of some project.

He spends most of his time now creating mash ups - he was regularly posting on You tube earlier this year.

That's as much as I am prepared to divulge !

regards to Paula and good luck with your new venture at the Spa

He is back in Derby

Cheers me duck!

Social source share

Might be wrong here but i think the guy who ran the Yeoman was called Mel,he and his wife lived in Willington,i remember he was having problems getting the equipment down to Mackworth so as i drove my dads moggy van at the time he asked me to lend a hand( i did)If i also remember Hector used to pop a long and play a few harder core northern sounds.The Derby Evening Telegraph used to print the Yeomans top 5 northern chart on the entertainments page of the paper.I also think Mel owned a small club in Derby he may of bought The Blue Note from Dave Milton ?
Social source share

Might be wrong here but i think the guy who ran the Yeoman was called Mel,he and his wife lived in Willington,i remember he was having problems getting the equipment down to Mackworth so as i drove my dads moggy van at the time he asked me to lend a hand( i did)If i also remember Hector used to pop a long and play a few harder core northern sounds.The Derby Evening Telegraph used to print the Yeomans top 5 northern chart on the entertainments page of the paper.I also think Mel owned a small club in Derby he may of bought The Blue Note from Dave Milton ?

Right as usual young man - Mel Palmer and Trevor Beckett ran the Yeoman. Mel did indeed take on or manage the Blue Note for quite a while, what a gent - well remember him letting myself and good friend out the back door into the yard and over the wall after a minor fracas involving a couple of off-duty CID in the club !! Believe he now runs, or used to run a bar in Leicester can't remember the name !

regards

Graham

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Right as usual young man - Mel Palmer and Trevor Beckett ran the Yeoman. Mel did indeed take on or manage the Blue Note for quite a while, what a gent - well remember him letting myself and good friend out the back door into the yard and over the wall after a minor fracas involving a couple of off-duty CID in the club !! Believe he now runs, or used to run a bar in Leicester can't remember the name !

regards

Graham

We went to Celia and Chris Lemon's house last sat He showed us some great old photo's of Chris and Hector in "The singles room" in re cords also so some great photo's of him as best man at Chris and Celia's wedding.Chris is going to try and put the re cords photo's on here when he get's time they were great photo's and I thought "bloody hell what 45's are in thoses photo's " regards Simon.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Little Old Derby EEE Me Duck & I thought all we new were Blue Jeans round ear, but I suppose you could add Mr Roberts if yuh wonna but then aggen you'd ave to be inta glam rock or summat seventies nowdays. (Excluding Assembly rooms nighters of course still a great night) :D yes gents many a trip downstairs at R E Cords with Hector watching over me shoulder.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!