On The Scene Magazine

Epic

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As from February 2006 On The Scene magazine will cost £1.00 Is this good value? & will you be buying it?Discuss.

Now as an Advertiser in On The Scene I will have some to put out @ my events etc, But only time will tell what the people think, Personaly I am not to sure, But as Paul explained he has costs to cover & NEEDS to make money, I only hope he doesn't loose more than he gains out of this new cover charge ....good luck with this Paul....

JB

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

Now as an Advertiser in On The Scene I will have some to put out @ my events etc, But only time will tell what the people think, Personaly I am not to sure, But as Paul explained he has costs to cover & NEEDS to make money, I only hope he doesn't loose more than he gains out of this new cover charge ....good luck with this Paul....

JB

If its a choice between charging for it & going out of business, he hasn't got a choice.

So its irrelevant what I think.

I don't know the guy, but I also wish him good luck.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Does it go something along the lines of

"On The Scene Magazine will bee intrudoosing a noo charge from Janewarry 2006"

Very handy little magazine but the speeling cud doo wiv sum wurk. :)

Social source share

not seen a copy of this out anywhere for a long time now. Tis a shame they will need to charge to cover costs, maybe charging for advertising scooters in it would have made more sence as I doubt it will now get as much coerage as it once did at venues up and down the country

Social source share

I totally agree with Janine here, not sure if the advertisers are charged but they should be as any other mag/paper that sells charges the seller.

I know the poor guy has to make some money to cover costs but this is something that I generally tend to pick up of a table and to be honest I don't think I'd actually walk over to someone and pay a pound for it. I know a quid's nothing these days but it's not the cost it's the actual "going" to get it when us lazy lot aren't used to having to do that.

Social source share

I totally agree with Janine here, not sure if the advertisers are charged but they should be as any other mag/paper that sells charges the seller.

Advertisers do have to pay. Used to be £6 but thats going up to £9. When you see what the likes of Echoes charges etc it`s actually good value for money, imo

Trev

Social source share

I know the poor guy has to make some money to cover costs but this is something that I generally tend to pick up of a table and to be honest I don't think I'd actually walk over to someone and pay a pound for it. I know a quid's nothing these days but it's not the cost it's the actual "going" to get it when us lazy lot aren't used to having to do that.

I don't think it will get the same coverage with a £1 charge on it but i hope it still does ok because a lot of us have to pay good money to advertise our nights in it and hope it gets out there to folk all over the country..I hope they have more features and less record sales or at least keep record sales to original stuff,whats the point in advertising all them bull-shit £10 pressings on Kingy,Stardust blush.gif and all that lookalike shit,you can but them anyplace,its a waste of space me thinks...

Social source share

I don't think it will get the same coverage with a £1 charge on it but i hope it still does ok because a lot of us have to pay good money to advertise our nights in it and hope it gets out there to folk all over the country..I hope they have more features and less record sales or at least keep record sales to original stuff,whats the point in advertising all them bull-shit £10 pressings on Kingy,Stardust blush.gif and all that lookalike shit,you can but them anyplace,its a waste of space me thinks...

just had a flip thru latest one and a fair bit of reading in there from some familar names :lol:

would say meself if had never seen one before and had paid a quid for the latest free one reckon wouldnt have any complaints

be interesting seeing the make up and how the first one goes

Social source share

I think £1 is good value as it is a good little mag and it's got noticeably better over the last few months with a lot of new articles from people like Davie and Brett. Got the latest copies through (cos Soul or Nothing advertise in it) and there's a letter telling you about the new charge and asking promoters if they want to sell it in their venues..for a bit of a profit. It could work but depends on the night I suppose. you could have a pile on the door or maybe leave them somewhere with a box next to them to put your money in??

Hope it works out blush.gif

Edited by Reg
Social source share

i talk to paul quite often and always find his comments helpful, I have advertised several of my own events in the mag as well and put it out at events. However i used to sell Shades of Soul for derek and soul survivor in the 80s & 90s both off my list and at venues. it sometimes made you feel like a right dick trying to get 80p/£1/£2 out of your mates for a copy of a brilliant mag like shades / SS as they all thought i was making a fortune selling it. I still have back copies i never sold (Honest !)

you'll always get the ones "i'll get it at the end of the night" who are to pissed to get one then and i really wouldn't want to be stood with a pile of mags all-night, however the wholsale rate is good and an incentive to sell as long as punters want to buy something that has been free since it arrived.

a hard one to call, but i think that keeping it free and charging slightly more on the ads would have been a better option. All credit to paul on a great idea and a landmark publication.

Rob

Edited by consdad
Social source share

Guest OntheScene

You will all no doubt be pleased to hear that for the time being at least we have decided to partially put this on hold. I say partially as it will be free at venues but anyone who would like a copy who has not been able to pick one up in this way will also be able to pick them up from stockists around the UK for a price of £1 or subscribe direct (as they have always been able to) on 01253 318267 for £10.50. The 'On the Scene' stockists will be listed inside future issues of the magazine and will probably be record shops, retro boutiques etc.

This gives people the choice and by having more shops stocking copies throughout the UK it can only help but spread the faith and bring new blood onto the scene.

I hope this meets with approval to all reading it as in a perfect world we like you would prefer to keep the mag free.

We welcome all your comments and have considered all suggestions given here but have also to consider our competitors when charging for advertising otherwise we would not have any advertisers at all which would make matters worse not better.

Kind Regards

Paul

On the Scene

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert