Priced Not To Sell

I posted this up as a result of keep seeing thread entitled "Priced to Sell". What the fcuk does that mean? I suspect that sellers have some intention of selling the items or they wouldn't be advertising them. Why not just say bargains or reasonable prices?

No I know I'm a grumpy, nit picking fecker - but does this annoy anyone else?

:wicked:

Sort of sales related so guess it's in right place.

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Peter, I think about 5 years ago I did exactly the same thing as you did, in fact I thought it was that thread being resurrected, it really does annoy me, especially when half the time the "priced to sell" prices are f*cking ridiculously expensive.

Priced to sell means cometitively priced or cheap, not current or above current market prices.

Why did I sort of know that you might agree?

:lol:

I can hear a few whispers already - that Pete and Peter are miserable basteurds!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Why did I sort of know that you might agree?

:lol:

I can hear a few whispers already - that Pete and Peter are miserable basteurds!

:thumbsup:

Add me to the list of miserable b*stards then too :D

Things that wind me up in sales threads:

• Not putting the condition - or putting something like - "great nick"
  • Not putting the name of the item in the topic heading so you have to open it to look see what it is (I often don't bother these days)
  • Bloody YouTube clips (open the thread - see the YouTubes and usually exit at that point) - especially annoying if not the actual record for sale
  • Not having detailed grading, soundfiles and scans/pics on expensive records
  • Long rambling descriptions, weird layout and fonts which basically obscure the titles for sale and just make me give up looking

Thankfully none/few of the most reputable and long-standing sellers on here do the above.

No wonder some people don't manage to sell their records on here.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Mine is VG, but plays great. Surely its VG cos it doesn't play that great

I don't agree with this completely but I understand the sentiment.

but records that look bad i.e vg visually can play very well.

it depends how much the grading is on the visual conditiion of the record compared to how it sounds.

the opposite of this is also true records that look great Ex can sound realy bad.

Social source share

Its like people selling cars that put "Genuine reason for sale" oh really............well ill definitely buy it now then! :yes:

Im very good.....but I play great!! :D:thumbsup:

Social source share

My sales footer:

As usual folks,payment by paypal as a gift or add 4%,to david.simpson585@ntlworld.com, bank transfer,postal orders or concealed cash at your own risk,all clips/scans from the record for sale,no enhancements,what you see & hear is what you'll get,always open to offers/trades.P&P 1st class standard inc at your own risk,1st class recorded £2,special del £6.N.B.,I can only post twice a week usually weds & sats.P M to reserve

Cheers

Salmon

never get any comebacks

Edited by soulsalmon
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

'Priced To Sell' should mean that a £300.00 record is being sold for at least half 'book value', not 'I've reluctantly knocked twenty quid off, it but it's still way overpriced for what it is...'

I don't think I've ever bought a record that was 'priced to sell'. So few of them actually are...

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I posted this up as a result of keep seeing thread entitled "Priced to Sell". What the fcuk does that mean? I suspect that sellers have some intention of selling the items or they wouldn't be advertising them. Why not just say bargains or reasonable prices?

No I know I'm a grumpy, nit picking fecker - but does this annoy anyone else?

:wicked:

Sort of sales related so guess it's in right place.

You've always been a grumpy fecker Peter lol

The one that always makes me laugh is "half book price" I don't feking read books and if it's referring to JM price guide then that only costs about £20 :-))

While we are in moany fecker mood when you put up a want someone says make me an offer then after you make an offer they decline it. Just tell me the frigging price you want then........

Social source share

Guest the fifer

A few that irritate me and what i translate them as

Priced to sell - Chancing my arm

Semi-known - Second rate record seeks gullible DJ

New breed R'n'b - 4th rate rockabilly record

In demand - desperately sought by the unimaginative

Crossover - usually in the header for a list of standard 70's records

Funky northern - not very funky funk records

i could go on and on ................. Derek

Social source share

A few that irritate me and what i translate them as

Priced to sell - Chancing my arm

Semi-known - Second rate record seeks gullible DJ

New breed R'n'b - 4th rate rockabilly record

In demand - desperately sought by the unimaginative

Crossover - usually in the header for a list of standard 70's records

Funky northern - not very funky funk records

i could go on and on ................. Derek

:D :D :D

add "sounds like a £1000 record"; "Copies drying up now"; "Underplayed gem"........

Social source share

it depends how much the grading is on the visual conditiion of the record compared to how it sounds.

the opposite of this is also true records that look great Ex can sound realy bad.

I posted once that a record that was sold me as EX played like torvil & dean had skated over it (or something like that) and received a LOT of replies basically telling me i was a numpty because it is standard to list visual condition rather than play condition. So I would agree with what you are saying

Social source share

Btw: Talking about descriptions: It's pretty intriguing to see how John Manship can describe every single record he has on auction with the kind of prozaic praise that would make you want to sell your first born sun for a copy of The Snake. The records he has on auction are usually a bit too expensive for me but still I'd like to go and check out his auctions to be swept away by the descriptions, more often than not bringing tears to my eyes. If there ever were a Nobel prize for vinyl literature I reckon he'd be a strong contender!

Yeh, and when you play them they are s**t. :D

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

Btw: Talking about descriptions: It's pretty intriguing to see how John Manship can describe every single record he has on auction with the kind of prozaic praise that would make you want to sell your first born sun for a copy of The Snake. The records he has on auction are usually a bit too expensive for me but still I'd like to go and check out his auctions to be swept away by the descriptions, more often than not bringing tears to my eyes. If there ever were a Nobel prize for vinyl literature I reckon he'd be a strong contender!

Maybe he's always describing the flipside? :wink:

Social source share

Now thats a tricky one because I get a few records which do play great but look like sh*t, so I would use the description that you mention above, because I couldn't grade it as EX even though it plays EX...I'd say

"visually only VG but plays way better, in fact plays more like EX"

I suppose the question is do you buy records to look at them or to play them? Given that the latter is, of course, the reason why they were ever produced in the first place, then, to me, how it sounds should take priority when describing a piece of vinyl. Having said that, I've lost count of the number of absolute bargains I've picked up because they were visually graded and had surface scuffs or label damage but actually play superbly. So, perhaps I'd better not argue this point too strongly, I'd be shooting myself in the foot. :-)

Social source share

Literally made me laugh out loud

Social source share

Are we heading towards a uniform description list,as well as grading list,in order to sell on here?

We have a grading system done by Rod but I doubt you can tell folk how to describe a record or list unless seriously OTT.

I'm sure most of us can see through the bullish*t spouted by some. I do enjoy reading some of them though :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This thread is good reading & I'm as guilty as anyone - but the "blarny" isn't really a problem....... is it? I would of thought that sellers who try and rip folk off with ridiculously over priced and wrongly graded records are more detrimental to the site? If the "spiel" does offend you, then don't go onto the events section, you'll be mortified!!!

Des

Not a problem Des, people just highlighting little things that annoy them. We've all got em haven't we?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'Works' t'other way too of course:

Don't be offended but would you take ... another 33% off already cheap records

Is postage included ... yes, naturally, cos it's free everywhere

Do you still have ... off that sales list from 2004

Any chance of ... scan /clip / couple of the producer's pubes

Can you ... make sure I get it last wednesday

:thumbup: (think I've done all of them LOL, except the pubes)

I agree Phil, it's only on this site that I get this sh*t though, I've asked before why this is - why people constantly ask for free postage or as you say, when the records are cheap anyway and they know they are cheap, they ask for more money off. I had someone who'd just paid over 2 grand for a record and bragged about it ask me for £10 off a record I had priced at £50 which was already about £20 cheaper than most sell it for.

Social source share

'Works' t'other way too of course:

Don't be offended but would you take ... another 33% off already cheap records

Is postage included ... yes, naturally, cos it's free everywhere

Do you still have ... off that sales list from 2004

Any chance of ... scan /clip / couple of the producer's pubes

Can you ... make sure I get it last wednesday

:thumbup: (think I've done all of them LOL, except the pubes)

i was selling a rare publicity photo and i got [before it ended] ive been outbid on the photo any chance of a copy on photographic paper, naturally ill pay any charges incurred!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not really bothered about the sales pitches,they are a bit annoying but I usually just pass them by.

The thing that did grab in the thread is it looks like there is a "miserable bar-stewards" group to join & I'd like to know where I can sign up.........as my wife & daughters are always saying I'm one,I thought I'd fit in quite well :wicked:

Cheers

Grumpy Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm willing to set that up, a section where we can just moan about everything and everyone who annoys us, probably have to be on Facebook though!

Pete

No good to me I hate Facebook,there's loads of people on there who annoy me :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Its like taking possibility of question about negotiating price , and cutting theknacker soff it. "Like saying," Before you ask , im already discounting it mate." " Pricey? I,m doin you a Fa****n favour mate."

Social source share

Not really bothered about the sales pitches,they are a bit annoying but I usually just pass them by.

The thing that did grab in the thread is it looks like there is a "miserable bar-stewards" group to join & I'd like to know where I can sign up.........as my wife & daughters are always saying I'm one,I thought I'd fit in quite well :wicked:

Cheers

Grumpy Martyn

Martin, you're in. Fcuk me you are grumpy aren't you.

:wicked::lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete

You say that as if it's a bad thing.............grumpy is the new happy :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Nope, I absolutely agrree - grumpy is the new happy. And, there is nothing quite like spreading plenty of fecking misery to all and sundry! Ho happy Days!

:thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i was selling a rare publicity photo and i got [before it ended] ive been outbid on the photo any chance of a copy on photographic paper, naturally ill pay any charges incurred!!

I do this, I'll over $20 for a hi-res scan of the photo which is more than enough money for the work involved in scanning and emailing. I'm not like a serious photo collector, I'm not paying $100+ for an original photo.

The funniest one for me in this thread so far is "last chance before ebay" -- stupid for so many reasons.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Surely that would be listed as "Half price or less" then!? Why does something have to be 50% or more below book to be classed as "Priced to sell"?

...Because then it genuinely IS 'priced to sell'.

Asked and answered, really.... :thumbup:

(OK, so maybe it doesn't have to be exactly half book value, but to reiterate what I said previously, a derisory reduction on a high priced record is not pricing it to sell. Something that seems lost on a good number of people who use the sales thread and 'price' their records to 'sell'...)

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Do any DJ's out there ever see the sales description ''ok for DJ-ing'' and think ...well that's the one for me!

Oh and although harmless enough.... preceding the term northern soul by ''killer'' or ''monster'' :facepalm:

Social source share

Do any DJ's out there ever see the sales description ''ok for DJ-ing'' and think ...well that's the one for me!

Oh and although harmless enough.... preceding the term northern soul by ''killer'' or ''monster'' :facepalm:

Ok for dj-ing is usually when someone is selling a 45 that looks battered ( but plays not so bad ) ..... I often use the terms KILLER or MONSTER , but dont see anything wrong with this terminology , it just depends what kind of crowd you go around with and what lingo they use , in different parts of the country the expressions will be different ! for example people use BELTER , STOMPER , KILLER , MONSTER , STORMER , POUNDER , SHAKER , DANCER , they are all words to basically say that the record is a good un :thumbup: very subjective though of course , as everyone on here has their own taste ........

Edited by soulgirl85
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!