Saxophone Riffs

a good friend of mine has been learning to play the saxophone and says he has got to a reasonable standard, well the other day he was in the van with me travelling to a job and as per I was playing some cd,s , and call me by eddie bishop came on , he declared I can play the sax parts in this . anyways when I dropped him off at home he dragged me in and got his sax out and started to play call me and werent too bad now he is pestering me for some more tunes with sax riffs or sax playing in ,

I know there are loads but eds a shed at mo,

so lets have your fave sax sounds please.

cheers B :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Top tune Ace Cannon Sea Cruise

[media=]

or indeed anything else by Ace

Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

When I started learning my personal ambition was always to play the raucus sax solo in George Clinton's "Please Don't Run From Me". I did eventually manage a 'poor man's version'. :lol:

Also, of course the opening salvo of Jr Walker's "I Ain't Going Nowhere" is stooopendous (and a little easier to learn).

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

When I started learning my personal ambition was always to play the raucus sax solo in George Clinton's "Please Don't Run From Me". I did eventually manage a 'poor man's version'. :lol:

Also, of course the opening salvo of Jr Walker's "I Ain't Going Nowhere" is stooopendous (and a little easier to learn).

Regards,

Dave

Dave, Kerry is learning the Sax as we speak :thumbsup: pretty good at it too :yes: May have to get her to teach me soon :D maybe one day we can form a band :lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

What's wrong me baby

Was playing it at work years ago and a colleague who was a sax player was blown away (sorry bout that) by it

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Saxie russel Psychodelic soul

Earl Wright Thumb a ride

Danny Wagner I lost a true love

Juniour Wlaker Take your pick of many,in fact the northern soul scene is crammed with great sounds having great sax breaks,close your eyes take a pin and finsd a list youre odds on to find some

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Impressions......"you ought to be in heaven"...with a super long sax break

:yes:

Post #17 ... tube clip shows Danny Wagner unfortunately

Social source share

Apart from all the Jr Walker stuff referred to above, my aim was always to play the sax break from What Good am I (Without You) - Mickie Champion.

One for the anoraks....This guy made a study of R&B sax solos. I'm working my way slowly and painfully through these.

https://athenaeum.libs.uga.edu/bitstream/handle/10724/17202/costigan_christopher_j_200712_dma.pdf?sequence=1

It's good to be ambitious. :yes:

Social source share

Guest jerrio

Just got a copy of Ko Ko Taylors Fire on Chess,It has a fantastic sax break in it,have a listen on you tube if you havent heard it.Pure class. Also Earl Lett- Soul Sax.

Edited by jerrio
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Going by all the misprinted labels, with spelling mistakes as basic as artists' & writers' names & song titles, it's a miracle that many NS

toons ever got released. So who told the guys at Arctic to put a penguin on there?

Social source share

Guest nubes

Roadrunner by Junior Walker..one of the best sax breaks on a record ever..if that doesnt inspire...well...Delxxxxx

Social source share

a good friend of mine has been learning to play the saxophone and says he has got to a reasonable standard, well the other day he was in the van with me travelling to a job and as per I was playing some cd,s , and call me by eddie bishop came on , he declared I can play the sax parts in this . anyways when I dropped him off at home he dragged me in and got his sax out and started to play call me and werent too bad now he is pestering me for some more tunes with sax riffs or sax playing in ,

I know there are loads but eds a shed at mo,

so lets have your fave sax sounds please.

cheers B :hatsoff2:

Also as a youngster i had a good friend who was married to Chris "SNAKE" Davies, i remember going out with them once and we all went back to there house, sat up chatting about Sax and northern soul, he picked up his sax and played this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23u6V5MiFX8

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Also as a youngster i had a good friend who was married to Chris "SNAKE" Davies, i remember going out with them once and we all went back to there house, sat up chatting about Sax and northern soul, he picked up his sax and played this

[media=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23u6V5MiFX8

What a small world, eh? Me old mucker Bob Taylor from Oldham played trumpet with Snake (maybe still does)

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

G Davis R Tyler Hold on help is on the way! ( Slightly off topic but I find it hard to believe and cant percieve that the chairman of the northstalker keymarang club is not posting on these forums? or at least reading them,bet hes reading them!)

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Not sure about the sax break mate - but that is one hellla of a shite piece of plastic!

:wicked::yes::)

Cant please everyone mate I liked it but time and place an all that but I went out the other night and heard two whole dj sets of what sounded shite to me but hey I am only just stating to get out and listen after thirty odd years and quite a lot of what ive heard sounds shite although I do say your deddie dobbins posting is new to me anyway,and that does cut it as far as I am concerned just that I havent heard much to match ,still plenty of time and all that atb
Social source share

Al Serafini - Hey, Soul Man / Lil Rosey.

Both sides sax instrumentals. Mentioned this 45 before in the recent "Instrumentals Still Collecting Them" thread. Wouldn't say they're my faves as such but,from a saxophonists perspective,would be good to play along to.

Or something short but punchy Patti & the Emblems - Easy Come, Easy go has a good break at about 1:30

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!