Jimmie Raye - Philly Dog

Not sure if this has been covered before, if so, please post a link to the thread, thanks.

I've noticed that there seems to be 2 label variations on KKC - Philly Dog Around the World. One credits "Stick Evans" as arranger and the other doesn't.

Any information on this? Are the both originals? I know that the 1970's dark blue Boot has the dodgy sound bit towards the end but looks like a proper one.

Also, what valuation would you attach to an original?

All the best,

Kev Bodley

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I always wanted a real one, and remember Neil Rushton having one of the 1st copies in at RGS in Walsall in the 70s. He wanted £100, couldn't afford it then, and realised I still couldn't afford it when I started looking again about 2 years ago, price had gone up to £400-500 then. Now I would've thought anywhere up to about £800, but there's one on ebay for around $1600 at the moment - so heyho!

:)

Social source share

Hi Paul, Yes, I'd like a real one as well!!

Just done a bit more checking.....

Sticks Evans aka Samuel Smith was also a drummer as well as arranger. He was apparently a drummer in Joey Dee's band, the Starlighters.

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

Not sure if this has been covered before, if so, please post a link to the thread, thanks.

I've noticed that there seems to be 2 label variations on KKC - Philly Dog Around the World. One credits "Stick Evans" as arranger and the other doesn't.

Has been discussed before on here, Kev - both copies with and without the Sticks Evans credit seem to be from the same plates with the 'pes' markings and stamp, plus the print is sharp on the labels. A case of two original presses...bit like the Edward Hamilton with and without the Mike Terry credit. If ever unsure simply play it...the bootleg fades out quickly and the sound quality deteriates towards the edited ending...whilst originals play clean and true all the way through to the end.

:thumbsup:

One of the best thumping Northern Soul stormers...ever...imo...here's my copy:

post-9555-0-00674500-1338213308_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Has been discussed before on here, Kev - both copies with and without the Sticks Evans credit seem to be from the same plates with the 'pes' markings and stamp, plus the print is sharp on the labels. A case of two original presses...bit like the Edward Hamilton with and without the Mike Terry credit. If ever unsure simply play it...the bootleg fades out quickly and the sound quality deteriates towards the edited ending...whilst originals play clean and true all the way through to the end.

:thumbsup:

One of the best thumping Northern Soul stormers...ever...imo...here's my copy:

Thanks for that Dave,

Any opinion on value?

I know popsike isn't the "be-all-and-end-all" but it comes up with prices between $300 and $850, with £1:$1.83 in 2004 when it hit $850 = £464.

I'd be interested to hear. :g:

(p.s. wanna sell yours :wicked: )

Social source share

• 11 months later...

I always wanted a real one, and remember Neil Rushton having one of the 1st copies in at RGS in Walsall in the 70s. He wanted £100, couldn't afford it then, and realised I still couldn't afford it when I started looking again about 2 years ago, price had gone up to £400-500 then. Now I would've thought anywhere up to about £800, but there's one on ebay for around $1600 at the moment - so heyho!

smile.png

I thought I'd dip my toe into the water, cheapest I could find was £800 although I missed one on Ebay about 2 years ago, I think it went for about £350.00 it was a bit rough. Hardly (as in never) see them for sale.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

I bought one on ebay 1 1/2 years ago for $350-ish. Has a little loss of high end due to playing with older(?) equipment, but sounds fine when played out. Very happy to get it. I dunno if that was the one for 350 quid. I think that's the only one on ebay (US) in the past 5 years, I was looking.....

https://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/300637450807/Jimmie_Raye_45_KKC_Philly_Dog_around_the_world_Northern_Soul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert