Hickory - (Label Of The Week)

• Replies 20
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

OK, I already had a copy of "BREAD & BUTTER" on UK Hickory.

At the time, Finding "Run Baby Run" on UK was mearly a dream

Hickory_45-1332a.gif

Then this one found it's way into my collection. One of the first USA copies I bought (STOCK COPY)

Helped to create the Interest in the Imports arriving to our shores. The DEMO copy, I found Many Years Later. :)

Hickory_45-1332-A_DJ.pngHickory_45-1332-B_DJ.png

Hickory_45-1332-A.pngHickory_45-1332-B.png

[media=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9fApcjlRuA

Hickory_45-P-1600S-A_DJ.pngHickory_45-P-1600S-B_DJ.png

Hickory_NG-561-A.jpgHickory_NG-561-B.jpg

Social source share

Of it's time but fond memories (with Nashville matrix):

post-5677-0-23009900-1338162616_thumb.jp

Sounding dated but was Northern once-upon-a-time

post-5677-0-09578000-1338162706_thumb.jp

Not sure about this! Looks like legit 1973 re-press but no Nashville matrix that I can see? Were these issues booted?

post-5677-0-16299500-1338162903_thumb.jp

Social source share

Not sure about this! Looks like legit 1973 re-press but no Nashville matrix that I can see? Were these issues booted?

Not an expert, but I have always been led to believe that if the writing was small on the title it was a boot or re-press.

But as I say, not an expert so I will stand corrected.

300648678073.jpg

Social source share

Not an expert, but I have always been led to believe that if the writing was small on the title it was a boot or re-press.

But as I say, not an expert so I will stand corrected.

300648678073.jpg

Expert enough Steve, always thought small writing was a legitimate '73 re-issue, had this since school I think!? But then found that legit re-issue should have Nashville stamp and this hasn't. Booted re-issue?

Social source share

Might be a legal Selectadisc repro but definitely not an original

Social source share

It's a funny label Hickory, bar Frankie and Johnny, which I'd prefer on British, Barbara Mills and P.W. Cannon - Beating of my lonely heart, I cant really think of any other discs I'd want on this label, which is a shame cause I've got half a dozen orig sleeves that need filling.

Nahh you got me, is there anything else that good?

Mal.C

Social source share

:hatsoff2:HI ALL... CHARLIE ROMANS 24 HOURS SERVICE, Is a great record, in my opinion, the BARBARA MILLS ISSUE, Is most defanantly the large letter copy, The Frankie & Johnny, is a Killer fo me as I assumed it was a BOOTLEG, and left at least 2 copies of it in a LONDON SHOP?

Never had a UK ISSUE OF QUEEN OF FOOLS?

And these 2 are still GREAT NOW, both are rare but cheap? also rare is BREAD & BUTTER, :ohmy: D

post-13241-0-37329400-1338346564_thumb.j

Social source share

:hatsoff2:HI ALL... CHARLIE ROMANS 24 HOURS SERVICE, Is a great record, in my opinion, the BARBARA MILLS ISSUE, Is most defanantly the large letter copy, The Frankie & Johnny, is a Killer fo me as I assumed it was a BOOTLEG, and left at least 2 copies of it in a LONDON SHOP?

Never had a UK ISSUE OF QUEEN OF FOOLS?

And these 2 are still GREAT NOW, both are rare but cheap? also rare is BREAD & BUTTER, :ohmy: D

post-13241-0-37329400-1338346564_thumb.j

Yo Mr D U ok dude?, u never replied to my reply re riot at stevenage ?????, anyway f ck Stevenage, I always thought HICKORY was a country and western label, Queen of Fools is DEFFO country......if this has already been raised I aplologise

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI Sorry about the Stevenage thing, are we talking about raining glass at the MECCA, or 14 days of gang fighting in the MECCA at the TIMES CLUB then in the LONGSHIP and the fight at JIFFYS HOT DOG WAGON OPPERSIT THE BOWLING ALLY, When I got a wicked kick in by GONZALIS AND 50 STEVENAGE BOOT BOYS? AND MY BROTHER TOOK THEM ALL ON??

You are right about the C&W aspect of the label, and BABARA MILLS was a white C&W SINGER, so was CHARLIE ROMAN, But the close link between 60s SOUL & C&W is hard to get your head around this side of the pond, as DIXYLAND consists of many ethnic groups and it shows if you follow each ethnic region, as you are aware there is a spine that runs from Louisiana Kentucky up to CANAD where the people still use french as the 1st language the music is french style Cajun, great stuff, then you have the black music that become known as ragtime our main man was SCOTT JOPLIN, he wrote opera's aimed at DIXY, of course you had the work songs that were called hollows, this form had a lead voice shouting out instructions and getting a response, work songs very similar were sung in the UK, FAITH SONGS were there for the poor, again with a vocal leader singing the gospel, eventually turning into gospel as we now no it, the BLUES has no real starting time, but it was WC HANDY who preached the hardships that effected everyone which in turn was influence followers of JOPLIN & HANDY but with the E chord being the BOSS as the musicians tried to follow the lead instrument as went up and down the E chord like a snake, normally it was a trumpet or piano leading but the sax was also in this fusion mix of E with it's razz a ma tazz, we call JAZZ,, HILLBILLY MUSIC turned itself when mixed with trad folk music into COUNTRY, WHICH WHEN MIXED WITH BLUES turned into ROCKABILLY LATER ROCK & ROLL, When mixed with GOSPAL and put in the hands of RAY CHARLES YOU HAD YOUR 1ST SOUL record WHAT I SAY, and when Sam Cook and Jackie Wilson sung BERRY GORDY invented MOTOWN, THAT WAS SO HUGE, EVEN THE WHITE LADIES TRIED TO SING IT IN NASHVILE, JUST LIKE BABARA did when she sung QUEEN OF FOOLS,

Or something along them lines :wicked: DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert