Keb On The Modern Side

There's another thread about Keb running - mainly covering his 60's stuff. I know Keb at one point was playing modern suff but strangely cannot remember seeing/hearing any of it. It's probably one of those blanked out memory moments! :(

So, when Keb was in his modern moments what sort of stuff was he playing? Was he discovering new material, was it big ticket kind of stuff?

I would be interested to hear your contributions and memories from back in the day.

Cheers

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Keb's modern sets were very welcomed back then, generally made up of a very "small" percentage of unknown seventies/eighties material. But on the whole mostly re heated and ex circulated modern oldies records "pre Stafford". And nowhere else is this more evident as captured on the "later" Soul Spectrum CD released along with Bob Jones during 1998.(IMHO).

And as this thread evolves into another list of posted "Keb We Love You Glory" and "We Also Think Your Greater For Your Differing Tastes" :sleep3:

Lets not lose the sight that his very first entry into playing limited modern sets back then, was to be the first pathway which demonstrated, what a "Bandwagon Jumper" he was then, and a label that's still stuck today !!

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Peter

Put most of this on the 60s thread, never mind :)

It all seems so long ago now :( , i couldn't name anything he played but pretty

sure it was high end stuff. Oh I've been wracking whats left of my memory &

just remembered one he use to play Family of Eve I wanna be loved by you, think

I may even have pestered him to play it. Still sounds good sitting in front of

my computer, wouldn't want to hear it out though.

When I first met him he was right into 60s & running the occasional coach from London to Wigan, next thing you know he was playing modern :ohmy: . I was having a brief flirtation on the dark side myself so quite enjoyed hearing some modern at 100 club from Keb amongst others. i don't think it lasted too long with Keb (or myself :sleep3: ) & of course he became part of the 60s mafia (70s mafia doesn't have the same ring to it!) at Stafford & the rest is Soul Scene history

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's a ten of his spins I remember, to get the ball rolling;

Rawl Soul Express 'The way we live'

Lemuria 'Hunk of heaven'

Courtial 'Losing you'

Willie J 'Boogie with my baby'

Ellipsis 'People'

Sons of the Kingdom 'Modernization'

Heem & the Monsters 'Wake up people'

Mellow Madness 'Save the youth'

Master Force 'Don't fight the feeling'

Record Player 'Free your mind'

Social source share

Lemuria 'Hunk of heaven'

Courtial 'Losing you'

Ellipsis 'People'

Aren't (most of) these more recent plays ? Think Peter is refering to pre Stafford ?

Social source share

Lemuria 'Hunk of heaven'

Courtial 'Losing you'

Ellipsis 'People'

Just saw Dave's post - are these current spins.

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Hi Peter

Put most of this on the 60s thread, never mind :)

It all seems so long ago now :( , i couldn't name anything he played but pretty

sure it was high end stuff. Oh I've been wracking whats left of my memory &

just remembered one he use to play Family of Eve I wanna be loved by you, think

I may even have pestered him to play it. Still sounds good sitting in front of

my computer, wouldn't want to hear it out though.

When I first met him he was right into 60s & running the occasional coach from London to Wigan, next thing you know he was playing modern :ohmy: . I was having a brief flirtation on the dark side myself so quite enjoyed hearing some modern at 100 club from Keb amongst others. i don't think it lasted too long with Keb (or myself :sleep3: ) & of course he became part of the 60s mafia (70s mafia doesn't have the same ring to it!) at Stafford & the rest is Soul Scene history

Apologies Dave

I didn't read the other thread in it's entirety

Social source share

That was the one of those ten that I knew he played a while back.......Rawl Soul Express 'round about 1990 and Lemuria was a new spin in 1993, pretty sure the rest came after.

Initially a Curtis/Mecca spin before Keb. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest woody no1

good to hear keb playing" the bamboos "on there feat"kylie auldist" "i dont wanna stop" the same as "cookin on 3 burners"" this girl" great soul great voice!

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Initially a Curtis/Mecca spin before Keb. :thumbsup:

Just like the Mainor Ramsey produced instrumental oddball on his own Ramco label of the 45 "Ramsey And Co - Love Call". :yes:

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

As far as i'm concerned, Keb maybe comes second to Rishard S in his "breaking of or reactivating" of records. He has such a broad taste but so intense in many ways. And what a dancer. As on the tape he did me once, his favourie saying as in the title of it was "Dance ya Bast**ds". Nuff said.

:yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As far as i'm concerned, Keb maybe comes second to Rishard S in his "breaking of or reactivating" of records. He has such a broad taste but so intense in many ways. And what a dancer. As on the tape he did me once, his favourie saying as in the title of it was "Dance ya Bast**ds". Nuff said.

:yes:

Keb certainly has a passsion for the music. Absolutely no doubt about that.

Social source share

the cd is soul spectrum vol 2, on BMG, loads of tracks mentioned here feature on it, wonder whats on vol 1 though?

That's a very good point. I think I've looked for that cd in the past and never located it - but could be wrong. Was there a Vol 1?I know there were some funk cd's which Keb put out.

:g:

Social source share

That's a very good point. I think I've looked for that cd in the past and never located it - but could be wrong. Was there a Vol 1?I know there were some funk cd's which Keb put out.

:g:

I've got, funk spectrum,( keb and Ian wright) jazz spectrum and the latin spectum's, all on bmg, but I've never seen the first soul vol, Ill dig on discogs!

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I remember hearing him play a seventies track in a pub on the Caledonian Rd circa 1986, cant remember what it was,but it was on Bell, but I remember what he said when I asked him about it, "the only seventies record I like" .

Legend.

Social source share

Yes you cannot fault Keb for dedication, passion turning pretty much into obsession, I don't think it's fair to call him a bandwagon jumper, in fact you have to admire his achievements. One of the top northern DJ's, pretty much broke Funk back into the mainstream and again managed to unearth a wealth of new tunes, Now he's 100% committed to R&B , 50's et al and is one of the in demand DJ's in that scene also..He obviously still loves & plays out his Nothern and usually the stompers at that. Definitely hasn't mellowed ha ha I can't think of anyone who has achieved that in DJ land and with the same integrity. He's often portrayed as a hard effing and jeffing scotsman but is an incredibly helpful and caring person in fact. Happy to share knowledge, give you free records and always encouraging the young uns into the scene. Guest lists as long as your arm and has often played out for free. Listens to music from dusk til dawn and the other way round. Definitely a bright light and I was sad to see him leave the UK. Pretty much a guaranteed fun night out with Keb on the decks!

Social source share

Guest woody no1

the track on the show cunnie posted by "contrast" "shake it " was i think" but dont qoute me cause it was many moons ago" quite hi ticket only other person i know had one was sam as my memory serves me .but that was back in the mid eighties never really heard it played out anywere in the back of my mind got a feeling was on a roullette 7" but again was long time ago and i wouldn,t be supprised if im mistaken

Social source share

Yes you cannot fault Keb for dedication, passion turning pretty much into obsession, I don't think it's fair to call him a bandwagon jumper, in fact you have to admire his achievements. One of the top northern DJ's, pretty much broke Funk back into the mainstream and again managed to unearth a wealth of new tunes, Now he's 100% committed to R&B , 50's et al and is one of the in demand DJ's in that scene also..He obviously still loves & plays out his Nothern and usually the stompers at that. Definitely hasn't mellowed ha ha I can't think of anyone who has achieved that in DJ land and with the same integrity. He's often portrayed as a hard effing and jeffing scotsman but is an incredibly helpful and caring person in fact. Happy to share knowledge, give you free records and always encouraging the young uns into the scene. Guest lists as long as your arm and has often played out for free. Listens to music from dusk til dawn and the other way round. Definitely a bright light and I was sad to see him leave the UK. Pretty much a guaranteed fun night out with Keb on the decks!

Are you sure about the R&B bit? At his leaving do it was all either Northern or rockabilly, I'd have loved to have heard some black 50s music instead of so much white stuff.

Whatever his latest passion is he's into it 100% and whether its for show or not, he often denies liking the current scenes of the old music he played after he's moved on; if you can follow that! Dancing is his main motivating force and it's as true of the rockabilly or disco or Northern whatever his latest passion is.

Social source share

i can remember seeeing Keb around 89, at the Brain in londons west end, he seemed as shocked to see me as he me! He opened up with some hot Rare grrove and followed the vibe into super heavy funk, they were a bunch of top breakdancers in that night, they really seemed to lap him up.

Social source share

I remember hearing him play a seventies track in a pub on the Caledonian Rd circa 1986, cant remember what it was,but it was on Bell, but I remember what he said when I asked him about it, "the only seventies record I like" .

Legend.

Could have been Bobby Reed "The Time Is Right For Love", certainly something he played later...

Not quite sure what Nick Harrison's problem is, can't remember last time I read such a negative bitchy post. Then again, i'm probably in the Keb fan club he's so keen to slag off. A man with so much enthusiasm, knowledge and passion, regardless of musical style. Sad he won't be djing too much in the uk, but i'll definitely make the effort next time he's back...

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Could have been Bobby Reed "The Time Is Right For Love", certainly something he played later...

Not quite sure what Nick Harrison's problem is, can't remember last time I read such a negative bitchy post. Then again, i'm probably in the Keb fan club he's so keen to slag off. A man with so much enthusiasm, knowledge and passion, regardless of musical style. Sad he won't be djing too much in the uk, but i'll definitely make the effort next time he's back...

Yes, I always thought that must have been what it was.

Social source share

Remember hearing him DJ in London at the beginning of the 80s, all the big Wigan modern stuff that Richard had Larry Houston, Roy Dawson etc. I guess all sourced from Soul Bowl. Was slightly jeleous at the time that he'd managed to get copies of all this stuff :lol:

Social source share

vol 1

https://www.discogs.c...release/2298253

Top comp too, I wouldnt mind a copy, especially the mixed version.

That's not Keb's Soul Spectrum comp, that's an Edinburgh club night called Soul Spectrum. Now with its own label putting out some great 45s...

Here's the link to Soul Spectrum Vol. 1 (compiled with Bob Jones): https://www.discogs.com/Various-Soul-Spectrum/release/163385

Social source share

That's not Keb's Soul Spectrum comp, that's an Edinburgh club night called Soul Spectrum. Now with its own label putting out some great 45s...

Here's the link to Soul Spectrum Vol. 1 (compiled with Bob Jones): https://www.discogs.c.../release/163385

Doh, sorry, well two top comps I didn't know about there, this one's great too. The Ian wright connection threw me, LOL.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!