Copy Of Blues & Soul Selling For £154 Yesterday

This was the blurb on John's site.

Why would anyone pay that much for an issue of Blues & Soul?

Well whatever, if you can't beat them, join them, I have two copies of the same edition available, one excellent, one excellent minus with a small tear on the cover, £100 and £75 respectively.

Also other early numbers if you know what issues you are looking for.

Blues And Soul

Blues & Soul # 17 March 1969

One of the really elusive first 20. Front cover is Otis Redding not for the first time featured with a horse.

This 1969 issue highlights for the Soul Historian the level of demand for re-issuing Soul rarities due to DJ generated demand. May alone saw near 20 45s. inc: Astors - Candy, Spellbinders - Help Me, Rex Garvin - JB, Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart etc.

1969 was truly the peak for British Soul fans - and all-night-club attendance

John Abbey & Peter Trickey review new releases inc: Z. Z. Hill's UK only "Make Me yours" etc

Artist pics & articles on: Joe Tex, Junior Walker & the All Stars. Curtis Mayfield, Ben E. King.

Live concert review + pic of Billy Stewart @ Royal Tottenham 24 January 1969.

Artist pictures of the Van Dykes, Esquires, Johnniie Taylor, Jean Stanback, Theresa Lindsey, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Temptations, center page spread of Stevie Wonder, Joe Stubbs ..

On top of all that info are the 1968 readers poll results for all categories.

Out of all the early Blues & Soul I consider this the most interesting &informative, as always a wonder column from Dave Godin of course!

Perhaps more inciting are the Record company adverts shimmering with retro images and design. Action, Island, Atlantic, Deep Soul, Chess & Tamla Motown all have eye-catching ads that are pure-pop-art!

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 154.00

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest allnightandy

O/T i know but

Does anyone collect old issues of Black Echoes from when it was in tabloid form ?

Social source share

I also have a copy of B&S 17 ... and all the others round that number that had parts of the 'CurtisMayfield' story & discog in them (5 or 6 in all I think).

Think I'll hang on to em unless people want to pay 'silly money'.

n.b. they aren't mine, someone just rang me and said see if anyone wants them :yes:

if they were mine I'd have been asking £20 apiece

Social source share

n.b. they aren't mine, someone just rang me and said see if anyone wants them :yes:

if they were mine I'd have been asking £20 apiece

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have B&S number 5 Feb 68 a tribute edition to Otis Redding. The new UK releases include James Brown - There Was A Time. Deon Jackson - Ooh Baby. The O'Jays - I Dig Your Act. Al Greene - Back Up Train. The Dells - There Is.Jackie WEilson - The Who Who Song. Aretha - Chain Of Fools. Erma Franklin - Piece Of My Heart. Jnr Walker - Come See About Me. Brenda & Tabulations - When You're Gone. U.S. 'Bell Sounds' were reviewed inc Van Dykes - Rainy Day, the reviewer preferred the slower B side! The B&S Calendar was also being advertised with great artists featured. Does anyone have a copy of this?

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Oops!

I started a new thread wanting some old Black Echoes mags - didn't see Andy's post on here. Should I delete my thread?

:g:

No because i'm off topic on here

i was just curious !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert