Wanna Be Dj, Some Questions?

Simon T

HI Mark ,I wish I had your will-power NO NOT that record wicked.gif ATB Stevie

Stevie, i'm not gonna bite mate, i've got nothing to say anymore, let's just do our own thing, do what we do the best we can, collect what the f*** we like and enjoy ourselves, book us for dj'ing if they want if not so be it.....now back to the christmas menu...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 207
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Is it 20 minutes cooking time per pound and 20 minutes for good luck, cook until juices run clear...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Depends on the heat of course, but I tend to go for 15 mins/lb.... 20 mins with the bird laying on each breast, then the remainder on its back.

Hope this helps wicked.gif

Social source share

HI KEV,yet again you are admitting to not knowing anything other than your top "500" 33 years of oldies BLOODY HELL.Keep on holding back our beliefs in hearing NEW tunes ..bet you are worth millions wicked.gif:unsure: Do not need to see my name on ANY of your venues .......'cos you have no idea about current plays [/quote

Leave it mate he's not worth it. :ohmy::thumbup::unsure: Have a greatstone christmas mate. :yes: and keep it real.

Best, Phil.

Social source share

Depends on the heat of course, but I tend to go for 15 mins/lb.... 20 mins with the bird laying on each breast, then the remainder on its back.

Hope this helps wicked.gif

I incert an onion up the turkey's bum, layer rashes of bacon on the top of the bird and this i find keeps it tender and moist, nothing worse than a dry old bird....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I incert an onion up the turkey's bum, layer rashes of bacon on the top of the bird and this i find keeps it tender and moist, nothing worse than a dry old bird....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Yes, its important that the moisture comes from the inside, not just the outside. With this in mind, try a generous dollop of full fat fromage frais inserted with your onion wicked.gif

Social source share

How are your beliefs held back by the promotions of somebody else? wicked.gif

And to think poor Simon asked about being a DJ.

I'm sure he's taking up another proffession right now!

Social source share

Is it 20 minutes cooking time per pound and 20 minutes for good luck, cook until juices run clear...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Yeap or you know wot happens av just seen a bloke fightin with a turkey on the tv :thumbup:

The mind boggle,s seein you wreastlin with a turkey............lol :unsure::unsure:

HB wicked.gif

Social source share

Yes, its important that the moisture comes from the inside, not just the outside. With this in mind, try a generous dollop of full fat fromage frais inserted with your onion wicked.gif

Dave, you are a master mate, thanks...listen if you are having any problems chistmas day with the food preperation promise you will call me and likewise if i have problems with the onion....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hi Dave ,you go out to .........and you want to hear tunes...........SO you do not go...bet you still do ........Promotion is...........about?????Have a GREAT XMAS

If I've understood you mate.....I go to the events which suit my musical taste, not bothering too much about distance.

Although the top 500 is not my scene, what I don't do is try to impose my taste on others or knock those who attend/promote events of a different nature, as some do with a rather sickening air of superiority!

I think we sometimes forget on this site that a majority on the scene are happy with the top 500.

Social source share

Dave, you are a master mate, thanks...listen if you are having any problems chistmas day with the food preperation promise you will call me and likewise if i have problems with the onion....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Mark,

Its a deal sir :thumbup:

Merry Xmas, Dave

PS I've a nice recipe for game if you're interested wicked.gif

Social source share

Yeh Nige......the bloke was trying to incert the onion before killing the turkey and the little bugger was having none of it....lol lol lol

Mark Bicknell.

Always knew you knew your onions..........lol :thumbup::unsure::unsure:

HB wicked.gif

Social source share

Mark,

Its a deal sir :unsure:

Merry Xmas, Dave

PS I've a nice recipe for game if you're interested :thumbup:

I'm game if you are?......oh dear that was foul...lol....get it?

On a serious note my Christmas dinner is much the same as my DJ box......suculent, perfectly cooked, juicy, moist, served medium rare, plenty of it and you always want seconds...lol and there's enough left over for supper...don't you just love cold roast spuds????

Mark Bicknell.

So you wanna be a DJ who can cook a turkey ?

LOL Shane, change the header wicked.gif:unsure:

I am a DJ that can cook a turkey...play a few as well from time to time...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

If I've understood you mate.....I go to the events which suit my musical taste, not bothering too much about distance.

Although the top 500 is not my scene, what I don't do is try to impose my taste on others or knock those who attend/promote events of a different nature, as some do with a rather sickening air of superiority!

I think we sometimes forget on this site that a majority on the scene are happy with the top 500.

Right on Dave. I wonder if Stevie could enlighten me on 'current spins'? I will let fellow ss members view if I know them. And furthermore, does he realise at Stoke some of our residents are Butch, Mick H and Kenny Burrell. Hardly 'sheep followers'

I could have written a book titled 'The Northern Soul Top 500 failures' Unfortunately it wouldn't have been viable.

Stevie, its over to you to see if I know the so called 'top sounds'

Edited by Kev Roberts
Social source share

I think what it is Dave, is that most of us on here really CARE about the scene. And if it wasn't for us, there wouldn't be a scene at all. The collectors are the soul [pardon the pun] of this scene. God bless em all. How long would the retro thing last, if not for the REAL faithful.

I remember when it was underground and exciting, that's what it's all about to me. Lifeline, that's where it's at. Merry Christmas, Phil.

Social source share

I think what it is Dave, is that most of us on here really CARE about the scene. And if it wasn't for us, there wouldn't be a scene at all. The collectors are the soul [pardon the pun] of this scene. God bless em all. How long would the retro thing last, if not for the REAL faithful.

I remember when it was underground and exciting, that's what it's all about to me. Lifeline, that's where it's at. Merry Christmas, Phil.

Phil,

You are unfortunately missing a major point. Without financial investment into the scene there wouldn't be much of one. That goes from small to large events, reissues/cd'ds to rarities, new and old faces and Mike Hu who invested time,effort and funding into this web site forum.

The Lifeline's of this world are superb. Characters such as the 2 Andy's, Mick H, Chalky, the Greatstones, Wiltons, 100 Club and all, are worthy champions of the underground side of Northern. There is a bigger stage though and some are happy to see it, from Dave in Lincs(earlier poster) through to Butch, Mick H who want to share their own top sounds with a mass audience, such as the Kings Hall, Stoke

Surely nobody in their right mind wants to see the scene be that underground, with virtually no one realising(except for around 500 hardcore) its there?

I vividly remember in 1972 going to Soul nights before I ended up at the Torch. I enjoyed both. The alternative(back in the day).....Glitter, Slade and The Rubettes!

It really is different strokes for different folks. Everybody has a part to play and generally does.

Social source share

I'm newly promoting and Djing at a small venue here in Wolverhampton and have basically lost money overall on the 3 events so far but have booked the venue for the whole of next year which I will honour because I totally and truly and allways have loved the music and so far I have enjoyed every minute of it and will continue till I make enough money to retire comfortabally or bankrupt myself , although I fear the latter will be first. wicked.gif

What people dont realise is you dont just turn up on the night , set up, pack up and go home , there is a lot more to it than that and you have to put a hell of a lot of work in the background and another thing is when you need their support you find out who you're real friends are.

Social source share

Right on Dave. I wonder if Stevie could enlighten me on 'current spins'? I will let fellow ss members view if I know them. And furthermore, does he realise at Stoke some of our residents are Butch, Mick H and Kenny Burrell. Hardly 'sheep followers'

I could have written a book titled 'The Northern Soul Top 500 failures' Unfortunately it wouldn't have been viable.

Stevie, its over to you to see if I know the so called 'top sounds'

Hi Kev, I have not referred to "top Sounds " in any reply on this thread.

I have listed a few of my records that I own on original that I play at the Greatstone and the occasional guest spot.Please look at the Greatstone playlists.

I have the greatest respect for Butch,Mick and Kenny and they have Dj ed for me at Rare Connoisseur weekenders that I promoted alongside John Mills and Dave Rimmer.

Most of the people involved with "soul" are not promoters after making a living but it is, it seems ,a priority for you Kev.

I like to hear tunes I do not know ,then make a decision as to whether or not I like them.I would sooner go to a venue that has a policy of trying to play lesser known records than hear tunes from the "top 500".Tried and tested works for you Kev and you do make a lot of money out of soulies.

Why not either have a night out at a venue ,such as Lifeline or the Greatstone or put on /promote an event playing lesser knowns?Trouble is I reckon I already Know your answer .

You mention "career" out of being a DJ .How many, who DJ on the Northern circuit ,do you believe ,consider the spots they have to be a "career"?

Any way Kev All The best for XMas and the New Year and the same for your loved ones :D Stevie Z

Social source share

But can I say that oldies dos are (usually) rubbish because in my opinion they are-doesn't mean I'm knocking the people who go to em. Why does everybody have to be nice about everything, it's so PC :angry:

Anyway, we're having duck but I'm sure some people like turkey..you get lots of leftovers and it's quite healthy :D

Edited by Reg
Social source share

But can I say that oldies dos are (usually) rubbish because in my opinion they are-doesn't mean I'm knocking the people who go to em. Why does everybody have to be nice about everything, it's so PC :angry:

Anyway, we're having duck but I'm sure some people like turkey..you get lots of leftovers and it's quite healthy :D

Do you not find Duck a little fatty?? one of my cat's 'Felix' has just had a go at the turkey so we are having him for Christmas dinner instead, cats are great....trouble is there's going to be five of us for lunch so someone is gonna lose out and not get a leg....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Do you not find Duck a little fatty?? one of my cat's 'Felix' has just had a go at the turkey so we are having him for Christmas dinner instead, cats are great....trouble is there's going to be five of us for lunch so someone is gonna lose out and not get a leg....lol

Mark Bicknell.

The secret with duck is to blast it with a hairdryer so it's really dry inside and out, then rub salt on the skin and cook it sitting on a wire tray over your roasting tin so it's not roasting in it's own fat. Rhen it's nice and crispy and not too fatty :D

Cat? Mmm, never tried it (knowingly....) but I suppose if there's five of you maybe you could have the tail? :D

Social source share

cats are great....trouble is there's going to be five of us for lunch so someone is gonna lose out and not get a leg....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Seeing as cats have nine lives Mark, I am sure there will be pleanty of legs to go round :D:D

Social source share

That's a grumpy face Reg! :D

We're all being nice because its the season of goodwill.... didn't you know? :D

What do you stuff the duck with, btw?

Social source share

That's a grumpy face Reg! :D

We're all being nice because its the season of goodwill.... didn't you know? :)

What do you stuff the duck with, btw?

Oh forgot about that.....(as if...I was in Tesco at 7am this morning..Sainsburys is so yesterday :D ). OKay :D:D:D:D , the snake is brill but not as good as Out on the floor...that better???

Mmm, stuffing, not really thought about it, I may just make a nice slightly alcohol sauce of some kind. Any ideas Dave?

Social source share

Another Duck....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Yep, that sounds about right..I got one that says "extra large duck" I mean. how big can a duck grow? And then it shrinks to about half it's original size when you cook it. However, it's probably a good thing as I'm putting Richard on a diet as he's getting quite fat :D

Social source share

Oh forgot about that.....(as if...I was in Tesco at 7am this morning..Sainsburys is so yesterday :D ). OKay :D:D:D:D , the snake is brill but not as good as Out on the floor...that better???

Mmm, stuffing, not really thought about it, I may just make a nice slightly alcohol sauce of some kind. Any ideas Dave?

Well I think Tesco is crap.... is that un-PC enough for you? :)

For the stuffing, try roughly chopping some cooking apples and bunging them in... helps cut through the fattiness! :D

Social source share

Yep, that sounds about right..I got one that says "extra large duck" I mean. how big can a duck grow? And then it shrinks to about half it's original size when you cook it. However, it's probably a good thing as I'm putting Richard on a diet as he's getting quite fat :D

I wish i was as fat as Richard.....lol

Happy Christmas you two - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Errr am i to assume that it is your opinion that if you take your record collecting too seriously you are in very serious danger of one or all of the following............

sprouting a shock of bright ginger hair,

speaking with an incomprehensible brogue,

develloping a taste for Eldorado wine

Insisting that all chaps are called Ken and all ladies are in fact female chickens

You are either a Bhoy or a Teddy Bear no inbetweenies

Devellop an uncontrollable urge to deep fry everything in batter

:D errrrrr i think i'd better get me coat................................................

appologies to all of our brethren north of the border but i just couldne resist :D

Oii thats just the West Side of my beloved country , and its Buckfast not Eldorado Scots are a little more sophisticated in their palates you know, just as well I can't make Orwell or I would have to bring you some Buckfast as a treat!!! :):D

Social source share

Phil,

You are unfortunately missing a major point. Without financial investment into the scene there wouldn't be much of one. That goes from small to large events, reissues/cd'ds to rarities, new and old faces and Mike Hu who invested time,effort and funding into this web site forum.

The Lifeline's of this world are superb. Characters such as the 2 Andy's, Mick H, Chalky, the Greatstones, Wiltons, 100 Club and all, are worthy champions of the underground side of Northern. There is a bigger stage though and some are happy to see it, from Dave in Lincs(earlier poster) through to Butch, Mick H who want to share their own top sounds with a mass audience, such as the Kings Hall, Stoke

Surely nobody in their right mind wants to see the scene be that underground, with virtually no one realising(except for around 500 hardcore) its there?

I vividly remember in 1972 going to Soul nights before I ended up at the Torch. I enjoyed both. The alternative(back in the day).....Glitter, Slade and The Rubettes!

It really is different strokes for different folks. Everybody has a part to play and generally does.

Hi Kev,

Some very good points well put there, but, didn't you make your name originally by being at the cutting edge of this scene. You had the records that the others didn't, and the rest, as they say is history. The thing that frustrates so many of us Kev, is that we struggle to get punters to our upfront nights. Yet you have 1000+ listening to the same old playlist. Jealousy, envy? I don't think so. I just want to share my passion for this music with like minded individuals. I feel that if we don't offer something fresher, more exciting, then people will get fed up and leave the scene. That's just my opinion Kev, you are obviously one of, if not, THE, number one promoter on this scene. But how long will there be a scene?

All the best to you and your's, Phil.

Social source share

Well I think Tesco is crap.... is that un-PC enough for you? :D

For the stuffing, try roughly chopping some cooking apples and bunging them in... helps cut through the fattiness! :D

That's more like the Dave I know :D I will try the apples :)

And back on the original subject (just in case we get told off by Shane)..I'm sure anybody can get a chance to dj if they really want to. Look at Paul Sadot, a couple of years ago he was just a collector doing the odd spot at Sheridans and now he's got a booking most weekends! And not just small local nights, he does most of the big niters including the last lifeline.

Merry Christmas everybody :D

Social source share

I'm newly promoting and Djing at a small venue here in Wolverhampton and have basically lost money overall on the 3 events so far but have booked the venue for the whole of next year which I will honour because I totally and truly and allways have loved the music and so far I have enjoyed every minute of it and will continue till I make enough money to retire comfortabally or bankrupt myself , although I fear the latter will be first. :D

What people dont realise is you dont just turn up on the night , set up, pack up and go home , there is a lot more to it than that and you have to put a hell of a lot of work in the background and another thing is when you need their support you find out who you're real friends are.

Absolutely nail on head. I'm in the same boat with my SOUL SALVATION @ BURNLEY CRICKET CLUB

Wishing you well for your events in the new year. Phil.

Social source share

Why do a lot of topics turn in to a slagging session at Kev Roberts, oldies, certain venues etc.

To me this implies an undercurrent of aggression which goes beyond normal healthy debate and spills over into trying to dictate that their version of the scene is the only true one.

As has been said many times, you vote with your feet.

If you do not like the music policy or the promoter at any venue don`t go, but accept that others may want to.

Social source share

Why do a lot of topics turn in to a slagging session at Kev Roberts, oldies, certain venues etc.

To me this implies an undercurrent of aggression which goes beyond normal healthy debate and spills over into trying to dictate that their version of the scene is the only true one.

Kinell, it`s not meant to be fun you know :D

Social source share

Now, how the f*** do you make a sherry triffle.....lol

Mark Bicknell.

My mum makes the best sherry triffle in the world imo

will get her to make one for you........lol :D

HB :D

Social source share