• Replies 207
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Kev,

To be honest I have never met you, so I only know you from your promotions / business dealings etc. But what I should have made clear was, what I, and you, consider to be big events, are totally different. I wouldn't be seen dead at one of your promotions, and would never dj at one [not that I'd ever be asked, obviously] No, I was refering to the northern soul scene, you ought to try it sometime, it's brilliant.

No, sarchasem aside, all you need to be a top jock at your promotions is the "top 500" record box. Just pass it on to the next "top dj" as you walk off. Sorry Kev but you sold out a long time ago, and there is still a scene out there, trying to keep it rare and underground. Which is quite hard when you keep re-issuing / bootlegging? everything.

I can't help but admire your abillity to part people from there money, but I don't think Simon was asking how do I become a dj with no credibility, and get to play the same records week in week out. Think he was asking those dreadfull record collectors, the ones who live in the real world, and are constantly looking for something new to spin, for their advice. No offence, off course. whistling.gif Phil Kowalski.

No offence taken. But if Simon or you have any visions of furthering a DJ career, best understand the big picture, otherwise you'll be struggling.

ATB,

Have a good Christmas

Edited by Kev Roberts
Social source share

Hi Kev,

To be honest I have never met you, so I only know you from your promotions / business dealings etc. But what I should have made clear was, what I, and you, consider to be big events, are totally different. I wouldn't be seen dead at one of your promotions, and would never dj at one [not that I'd ever be asked, obviously] No, I was refering to the northern soul scene, you ought to try it sometime, it's brilliant.

No, sarchasem aside, all you need to be a top jock at your promotions is the "top 500" record box. Just pass it on to the next "top dj" as you walk off. Sorry Kev but you sold out a long time ago, and there is still a scene out there, trying to keep it rare and underground. Which is quite hard when you keep re-issuing / bootlegging? everything.

I can't help but admire your abillity to part people from there money, but I don't think Simon was asking how do I become a dj with no credibility, and get to play the same records week in week out. Think he was asking those dreadfull record collectors, the ones who live in the real world, and are constantly looking for something new to spin, for their advice. No offence, off course. whistling.gif Phil Kowalski.

load of rubbish. the scene is split. kev caters for the oldies crowd and does it very well. there are rare and upfront events everywhere so pick your event and pay your dollar.

there is room for all of us so there is no need to attack something you aint part of. its not affecting you enjoyment one bit. the rare and upfront nights will continue

also, you will find that most of kevs dj's have collections most people can only dream of and can also do a rare and imaginative set with the best of 'em. i am talking about the likes of bob hinsley, ginger, neil jones etc. even butch plays for kev these days.

thats the 'real world' as you put it. imo of course :thumbup:

Shane

just to add.....

i think the original post by simon was meant to promote discussion about the current situation. i dont think we have to keep referring to him. it was all a little tongue in cheek i think :unsure:

Shane

Social source share

load of rubbish. the scene is split. kev caters for the oldies crowd and does it very well. there are rare and upfront events everywhere so pick your event and pay your dollar.

there is room for all of us so there is no need to attack something you aint part of. its not affecting you enjoyment one bit. the rare and upfront nights will continue

also, you will find that most of kevs dj's have collections most people can only dream of and can also do a rare and imaginative set with the best of 'em. i am talking about the likes of bob hinsley, ginger, neil jones etc. even butch plays for kev these days.

thats the 'real world' as you put it. imo of course :thumbup:

Shane

O.K. Shane, I must be talking rubbish then if you think so. You should be ok for a spot at the next Stoke Allnighter now mate. whistling.gif

just to add.....

i think the original post by simon was meant to promote discussion about the current situation. i dont think we have to keep referring to him. it was all a little tongue in cheek i think :unsure:

Shane

Social source share

thats the 'real world' as you put it. imo of course :unsure:

Shane

Well said Shane... you beat me to it :thumbup:

Mark Bicknell said its the season to be jolly, but it looks as if for some, its the season to gratuitously snipe at Kev whistling.gif

Interesting that Mr Quimvy suggested trying "Northern" Soul as opposed to "Rare" Soul... I doubt whether theres many that know more about the established Northern scene than Kev Roberts.

Social source share

Can't seem to reply to Quinvy's last post but this bit is truly hilarious:

"O.K. Shane, I must be talking rubbish then if you think so. You should be ok for a spot at the next Stoke Allnighter now mate. :thumbup: "

Anyone for mince pies? Glass of sherry? Sour grapes even? whistling.gif

Social source share

Wish Pete Lawson could here this lot - would love to here the replys !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit Edit Edit LOL

Sorry just cheap comment to get me 100 post :-)

Social source share

No offence taken. But if Simon or you have any visions of furthering a DJ career, best understand the big picture, otherwise you'll be struggling.

ATB,

Have a good Christmas

Bin struggling fer years its the weight thing also bin trying to DJ fer 35years plus and was doing better before I Started playin Soul music(not just "northern"soul but)its the music in the soul that helps you to become a DJ

go on be sick

Doug

whistling.gif:thumbup:

post-479-1135282756.jpg

Social source share

Phil,

Being a top DJ on the Northern scene and getting lots of work has nothing to do with with one offs and the best collection.

I turn down 99% of DJ's who approach me....reason...BAD ATTITUDE.

I spoke with an old friend and a successful promoter in the Eastern counties and he agrees.

Promoters are looking beyond 'THE BOX' I just wish people would understand this.

Great Record Collections do not neccessarily make for good DJ who works as part of an ongoing team.

The ones who regularly bitch about lack of top bookings need to ask themselves..WHY?

I think part of this thread was about ARSE LICKING, well any good promoter should not be swayed by this.

You pick the right team and if there's a gap, use a good local or a tryout.

There is a spin on my comments though. The scene as we knew it has changed. We now have BIG EVENTS, SMALL ONES and THEMES(ie Crossover, R&B etc etc). If a DJ wants to stick to total up front Rarities that have little national appeal.....then GREAT. But remember the scene has over 35 years of different likes, dislikes and opinions.

DJ'ing...easy isn't it?

Hi Kev,just an analytical reply to your response to this thread.

I turn down 99% of promoters who ask me to DJ.

Why do you need to seek agreement from someone from "Eastern Counties"?

Promoters please look beyond"the top 500"Upfront promoters do.

An ongoing team means or equals "Tried and tested" IE top 500.

Who wants "TOP" bookings and who makes a career out of DJ ing?

NOT into ARSE things whistling.gif

Whom is a "TRYOUT" :unsure:

THOSE who ,may, read this reply please reference Kev's .MERRY XMAS KEV :thumbup: ATB STEVIE Z definately Not a mainstream DJ :unsure:

Social source share

I've just decided I want to be a DJ on the Northern scene. As anyone got any tips on how to start out, aside starting my own do? What would you say are the quintessential DJ ingredients for a new kid on the block? Great collection, or a couple of dozen mega rare 45's. 60's, 70's or both? Do you have to earn your stripes or kiss the right backsides?

===========

hi simon

Be prepared for a rocky road a highs,lows,elation and disappointments.

Djing on the Northern Scene can be one of the most satisfying feelings ever,seeing people dance to your records,people asking you for a record and you reply 'yes I got it here' and making people happy. doing a do of your own or djing locally can be a good ground for a start.

the down side is when you try and get on a bit more globally where its really difficult and frustrating.

one important to remember is not to take things too seriously as ive been guilty of many times and come down to earth with a great bump..

ive sacrificed alot of home life in search of glory on the NS scene and some times you lose sight of what its all about and important to keep your feet on the ground and not have your expectations too high!

However once you get a taste its human nature to want more and here lyeth the problem

some of the options are as that have already been said already some constructive and some not but in my experience you need the following:

a hald decent collection or better

belief in what your playing

enthusiasm

desire to suceed

being in the right place at the right time

one line to keep it in perspective is 'there are plenty of good actors but they cant all be in Eastenders!'

good luck!!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Unfortunately there are too many that have good record collections and then ego takes over and pushes their mind-set into becoming a jock, when in fact all they really want to do is enjoy their collecting hobby.

Errr am i to assume that it is your opinion that if you take your record collecting too seriously you are in very serious danger of one or all of the following............

sprouting a shock of bright ginger hair,

speaking with an incomprehensible brogue,

develloping a taste for Eldorado wine

Insisting that all chaps are called Ken and all ladies are in fact female chickens

You are either a Bhoy or a Teddy Bear no inbetweenies

Devellop an uncontrollable urge to deep fry everything in batter

whistling.gif errrrrr i think i'd better get me coat................................................

appologies to all of our brethren north of the border but i just couldne resist :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

You pick the right team and if there's a gap, use a good local or a tryout.

Not meaning to be pedantic but it's spelled TROUT and there is only one whistling.gif:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I can`t work out if you`re creeping or not John whistling.gif

Why on earth would i want to creep to Stevie Z or anyone for that matter?

Tryout

BTW is that you Tam? looks like that fancy jukebox toy of yours :thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Kev,just an analytical reply to your response to this thread.

I turn down 99% of promoters who ask me to DJ.

Why do you need to seek agreement from someone from "Eastern Counties"?

Promoters please look beyond"the top 500"Upfront promoters do.

An ongoing team means or equals "Tried and tested" IE top 500.

Who wants "TOP" bookings and who makes a career out of DJ ing?

NOT into ARSE things whistling.gif

Whom is a "TRYOUT" :unsure:

THOSE who ,may, read this reply please reference Kev's .MERRY XMAS KEV :thumbup: ATB STEVIE Z definately Not a mainstream DJ :unsure:

You turn down 99% of all bookings. Wow..can you name them? And who do you work for.

Unfortunately in 33 years I am yet to hear your name on a dj rosta.

Social source share

With The Empire's - You're On Top Girl - playing in the background....lol

Mark Bicknell whistling.gif

She can go on top if she wants... she'd get no argument from me! :thumbup:

Social source share

You turn down 99% of all bookings. Wow..can you name them? And who do you work for.

HI Kev ,thank God for that not named you epitomizewhat was and THANKYOU for being Honest.THIS Proves you have very little idea about todays sounds that are being played at venues that may be small and do NOT need to make a living from (as obviousley you do)AND Yet I have played along side your names.GIVE ME TUNES OUTSIDE what you Know .I do not WORK for anyone BIG tumble again Kev you are talking MONEY
Social source share

HI Kev ,thank God for that not named you epitomizewhat was and THANKYOU for being Honest.THIS Proves you have very little idea about todays sounds that are being played at venues that may be small and do NOT need to make a living from (as obviousley you do)AND Yet I have played along side your names.GIVE ME TUNES OUTSIDE what you Know .I do not WORK for anyone BIG tumble again Kev you are talking MONEY

dear god wicked.gif

come on steve, its christmas!

kev did not have a personal dig at anyone in his original post. he is offering an opinion from his side of the scene. you know i love your place (the greatstone) but i think a few have been unfair on this occassion.

kev gave an opinion on the type of dj's he books for his type of events. i know its mainly played out oldies but we all have a choice. i buy from mr sainsbury but i dont tell mr tesco to f*** off :unsure::thumbup:

Shane

Social source share

You really ought to get out more then.

dear god :thumbup:

kev did not have a personal dig at anyone in his original post. he is offering an opinion from his side of the scene. you know i love your place (the greatstone) but i think a few have been unfair on this occassion.

kev gave an opinion on the type of dj's he books for his type of events. i know its mainly played out oldies but we all have a choice. i buy from mr sainsbury but i dont tell mr tesco to f*** off :unsure::unsure:

Shane

You buy from Lidl and you know it.

Are you by any chance off to The Sty called Hillsborough soon ? wicked.gif

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

dear god wicked.gif

kev gave an opinion on the type of dj's he books for his type of events. i know its mainly played out oldies but we all have a choice. i buy from mr sainsbury but i dont tell mr tesco to f*** off :unsure::thumbup:

Shane

Quite right Shane. We share the same supermarket and football cub but not the same style of Northern. Drugging your coffee at the Luton game will soon put paid to that!

Look into my eyes, not around the eyes. At the count of Three, you will hear Dana Valery at one of my promotions. Everytime you hear it,you'll think its a one off unreleased acetate from 1965.

1-2-3...you're back in the room!

Social source share

Why on earth would i want to creep to Stevie Z or anyone for that matter?

Tryout

BTW is that you Tam? looks like that fancy jukebox toy of yours wicked.gif

:thumbup: Sorry it was cruel, I know you`re Wayne Gibsoned.

Social source share

dear god wicked.gif

ShaneHi Shane I DO NOT PLAY MY TUNES TO MAKE MONEY I PLAY THEM to soulies "outside the top 500"DO I KNOW AND OTHERS BETTER RECORDS THAT MR.ROBERTS ........has NO idea about???ATB STEVIE Z an unknown person????

Social source share

post-1535-1135289890.gif

Social source share

kev in no way want to fall out with you ,we all have our different slants on the scene,you talked about keeping tight with promoters,fair enough thats your view,the tale i told before regarding the guy with the mini disc player is on in your rare soul room at the boro,it was true mate,and thats what sticks in a lot of peoples throats,and no before anyone asks i wont name him on here,you know who he is kev ,he is also a long standing mate of mine,but just cos he is a mate,i am allowed to have my own opinions. good luck regardless.

Social source share

HI KEV,yet again you are admitting to not knowing anything other than your top "500" 33 years of oldies BLOODY HELL.Keep on holding back our beliefs in hearing NEW tunes ..bet you are worth millions wicked.gif:thumbup: Do not need to see my name on ANY of your venues .......'cos you have no idea about current plays
Social source share

33 years of oldies BLOODY HELL.Keep on holding back our beliefs in hearing NEW tunes

I hate to say this really but THEY ARE ALL OLDIES wicked.gif:thumbup: even the 'disco' is old

Social source share

HI KEV,yet again you are admitting to not knowing anything other than your top "500" 33 years of oldies BLOODY HELL.Keep on holding back our beliefs in hearing NEW tunes ..bet you are worth millions wicked.gif:thumbup: Do not need to see my name on ANY of your venues .......'cos you have no idea about current plays

How are your beliefs held back by the promotions of somebody else? :unsure:

Social source share