Wanna Be Dj, Some Questions?

Simon T

I’ve just decided I want to be a DJ on the Northern scene. As anyone got any tips on how to start out, aside starting my own do? What would you say are the quintessential DJ ingredients for a new kid on the block? Great collection, or a couple of dozen mega rare 45’s. 60’s, 70’s or both? Do you have to earn your stripes or kiss the right backsides?

Social source share

• Replies 207
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Matt Male

What would you say are the quintessential DJ ingredients for a new kid on the block?

Hmm, i'm not a DJ but here are a few tips.. i'm sure others can think of a few more... :D

1. Make sure you are in the bar, or on the way to the venue while the previous DJs are on, then you can unintentionally repeat any earlier plays (punters love that) :(

2. Say you'll take requests and then don't play any. Keeps the dancers guessing.. :wicked:

3. Buy a few reissues of major sounds known to be possessed by your fellow DJs and play them before they get the chance in their spot to play that 3 grand 45. They'll thank you for warming the crowd up :(

4. Don't bother with vinyl. Request a CD player and you can stick on the CD you were listening to in the car on the way over. The promoter will be impressed by your technical skills and be sure to ask you back wicked.gif

Good luck.

Matt

Social source share

I've just decided I want to be a DJ on the Northern scene. As anyone got any tips on how to start out, aside starting my own do? What would you say are the quintessential DJ ingredients for a new kid on the block? Great collection, or a couple of dozen mega rare 45's. 60's, 70's or both? Do you have to earn your stripes or kiss the right backsides?

Well when I dreamed about doing it I had just stumbled across someone selling a load of imports from a suitcase at a car boot sale. Every one was a gem with some studio acetates I had never heard of. I bought the lot & the guy says I`ve got a couple of tea chests full in the garage if the`re any good to you. Anyroad, the upshot was I demanded & got a residency at a top upfront do & I refused to do anything but nighters that finished at 8 AM. Good wank biggrin.gif

Social source share

I've just decided I want to be a DJ on the Northern scene. As anyone got any tips on how to start out, aside starting my own do? What would you say are the quintessential DJ ingredients for a new kid on the block? Great collection, or a couple of dozen mega rare 45's. 60's, 70's or both? Do you have to earn your stripes or kiss the right backsides?

All of the above :Dohmy.gif:wicked: .

Russ

Social source share

or you can do what someone i know done download as many tracks as you can, copy them to mini disc,get your mate to sneak in and wire in your own mini disc player to the venues sound system,the promoter was trying to run an orig vinyl event hence the sneaking in,oh if your not on first,hide the mini disc player,then arrive with a small nine inch plastic box and proudly boast 2000 tracks in there,whilst everyone gasps and says i must get one of those new record boxes based on tardis technology,some serious arse licking also of promoters must help as he is still djing today,funny story but sadly true.anyway it worked for him,though i do believe he plays vinyl now but in what format god himself only knows. :(:wicked::Dwicked.gif

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Simon try basket weaving or flower arranging mate,there is one hell of a que waiting to become a Northern Dj!! ohmy.gif no seriously i hope you get a chance mate! :wicked:

Social source share

What's your collection like at the moment? Do you feel you have to go out and buy a lot of sounds before you can start?

Think a lot of it's down to taste and playing sounds that the dancers will want to hear and indeed dance to.

Why don't you post up a dozen or so sounds, that's about a forty minute spot then we can see what your'e all about, musically speaking as it were.

Just a suggestion.

Simsy. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Well when I dreamed about doing it I had just stumbled across someone selling a load of imports from a suitcase at a car boot sale. Every one was a gem with some studio acetates I had never heard of. I bought the lot & the guy says I`ve got a couple of tea chests full in the garage if the`re any good to you. Anyroad, the upshot was I demanded & got a residency at a top upfront do & I refused to do anything but nighters that finished at 8 AM. Good wank ohmy.gif

Who could you possibly mean :wicked:

Social source share

Become a promotor that allway`s seem`s to work....... biggrin.gif

Social source share

Simon,

You jumped into a hornets nest here. Best ask other DJ's first as most are collectors who answer.

.A/ Be a nice person...not an aggressive record collector. Top promoters hate being confronted by 'do you what's in my box'. They tend to know who can marry the hobby of collecting into filling dance floors regularly B/ Look at the guy's who get the most bookings and stay tight with one or more of them C/ Be prepared to be a team player and never adopt a 'I don't like my time slot' mentality.

Obviously the chaps who are the best at doing it are also nice people. The ones who are a little younger who are also decent eventually get plum bookings(just ask Neil Jones..who's a perfect example)

Unfortunately there are too many that have good record collections and then ego takes over and pushes their mind-set into becoming a jock, when in fact all they really want to do is enjoy their collecting hobby.

Of course, if you are just merely wanting a few local gigs and do not wish to take it too seriously then do that. But to get in on the bigger picture you must first adhere to A,B or C. IMObiggrin.gif

And most of all.............best of luck!

Edited by Kev Roberts
Social source share

Hi,must say first,GOOD LUCK to you and then go on to say

1/ Only ever play originals

2/Be prepared to part with loads of cash or work very hard,put the hours in searchin' out bargains etc

3/Don't be backward about comin' forward,if you want it so bad you will have to kiss ass.

4/Get your playlists sorted,mix it up a bit,6t's,7ts,rnb oldies,newies,stompers to mid tempo.

Hell what do I know....nothing you haven't already.....or maybe?.......all the best ,John Elias,ps don't try and run b4 you can walk,hope I don't sound arrogant 'cos I'm not.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

What would you say are the quintessential DJ ingredients for a new kid on the block? Great collection, or a couple of dozen mega rare 45's. 60's, 70's or both? Do you have to earn your stripes or kiss the right backsides?

Great collection if you want to be a DJ on the rare soul scene.

Bunch of oldies and a few overblown played out mega rareties if you want to be another chicken in a basket DJ on the northern soul 1974 revival scene, which already has more than enough people DJing doesn't it? I think you may have to do more than kiss backsides, just make sure you're allowed to spit after. ph34r.gif

Might I ask why you have decided to become a DJ?

Social source share

got it all in one mate,i dont wanna be a dj ,just collect records to my own taste,if asked consider if my music taste will fit in at said venue,couldnt be bothered with all the political bollox anyway and i aint gonna kiss nobodys ass for a spot. :D:D:Dshhh.gif

Was looking forward to that kiss Ted ph34r.gif ..Good luck Simon with the quest to enter this mad world..Just stay true and play what you have faith in..

steve..

www.cooloff.net

Social source share

Great collection if you want to be a DJ on the rare soul scene.

Bunch of oldies and a few overblown played out mega rareties if you want to be another chicken in a basket DJ on the northern soul 1974 revival scene, which already has more than enough people DJing doesn't it? I think you may have to do more than kiss backsides, just make sure you're allowed to spit after. ph34r.gif

Might I ask why you have decided to become a DJ?

LOL, I'm going to start another thread for 'DJ's' along the lines of

'I'm tired of refusing to kiss arse to get spots/tired of having to kiss arse/tired of resenting the fact that other people are better at kissing arse (delete as appropriate depending on your ego assisted perception of your 'popularity' and an honest evaluation of how you reached that point) and therefore, I'm seriously thinking of becoming a "northern soul punter". Does anyone have any tips on how best to achieve this. How does it work : do you just go out and enjoy yourself? Can it really be that simple? Am I still allowed to own any records worth more than 4.99?'

Social source share

Oh Simon, Simon, Simon, Where do I begin. Every single person who collects records on this scene, wants to be a DJ. Simple as that. And is the reason there are sooooo many events on now. Because when I first tried to get DJ spots, I was given some advice from a very well known DJ. And it was spot on. He said, you have to start your own night, or you will never get regular spots. So there you have it, most of us have realised that it's the only way, start your own night.

The only other way is if you have an unbelievably good collection, and I mean loads of heavy weight tunes and maybe some one offs. Or if you are a millionaire you can just buy yourself the best collection.

Sorry to be negetive, but I speak from experiance. Good luck though. Phil.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

therefore, I'm seriously thinking of becoming a "northern soul punter". Does anyone have any tips on how best to achieve this. How does it work : do you just go out and enjoy yourself? Can it really be that simple? Am I still allowed to own any records worth more than 4.99?'

ph34r.gif Don't be silly Martin, you can't "just go out and enjoy yourself" without so much as a care in the world, ridiculous. You'll be advocating playing CDs next.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Has anyone ever found the phrase Disc Jockey....a bit silly....it conjures up images of Dave Lee Travis (pre Noel's House Party..... beer.gif )

Good luck Simon ...hope to see you on a few flyers soon...... ph34r.gif

Social source share

Has anyone ever found the phrase Disc Jockey....a bit silly....it conjures up images of Dave Lee Travis (pre Noel's House Party..... :D )

Good luck Simon ...hope to see you on a few flyers soon...... ph34r.gif

And what phrase,should we use instead mr Bergman,any ideas?..... beer.gif
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

And what phrase,should we use instead mr Bergman,any ideas?..... ph34r.gif

What about :

"overlord of the decks"

"lone swordsman of stylusville"

Social source share

Come forward Sir Steptoe.. ph34r.gif ..Lord of the scrapyard soul junk scene...I am the dick behind the decks beer.gif ..We are the DD'S......

I was asked for the Snake the other day while behind the decks,I told the young lady " with my new medication i could only manage the slug,will that do"..

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Lone swordsperson surely? :Dph34r.gif

That'd be patently ridiculous. :D

I like the sound of "Player of Platters", PoP for short. beer.gif Spinner of Discs is another option.....

Social source share

The more I read this, the more I think it's a wind-up! ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

If you can keep your head while around you

are losing theirs and blaming what you play

If you can trust your taste when all men doubt it

and tell them all to go away

If you can make one heap of all your wages,

and spend it on a single 45

and not buy Blues or Funk or Disco

and never EVER go near Jive!

If you can will the legs of all the dancers

to go on dancing after their muscles have gone

and not stop spinnin until the cock crows

and even then keep keepin on

If you can fill the unforgiving 3 minutes

with 180 seconds of a tune well played

Then yours is the dancefloor and everything on it

and, which is more son, you'll have deejayed...

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

If you can keep your head while around you

are losing theirs and blaming what you play

If you can trust your taste when all men doubt it

and tell them all to go away

If you can make one heap of all your wages,

and spend it on a single 45

and not buy Blues or Funk or Disco

and never EVER go near Jive!

If you can will the legs of all the dancers

to go on dancing after their muscles have gone

and not stop spinnin until the cock crows

and even then keep keepin on

If you can fill the unforgiving 3 minutes

with 180 seconds of a tune well played

Then yours is the dancefloor and everything on it

and, which is more son, you'll have deejayed...

:D:Dshhh.gif

Come forward Sir Steptoe.. ph34r.gif ..Lord of the scrapyard soul junk scene...I am the dick behind the decks :D ..We are the DD'S......

I was asked for the Snake the other day while behind the decks,I told the young lady " with my new medication i could only manage the slug,will that do"..

That sound's like a conversation to earwig.....

How did Germany go apart from the Snake incident ?

Social source share

Oh Simon, Simon, Simon, Where do I begin. Every single person who collects records on this scene, wants to be a DJ. Simple as that. And is the reason there are sooooo many events on now. Because when I first tried to get DJ spots, I was given some advice from a very well known DJ. And it was spot on. He said, you have to start your own night, or you will never get regular spots. So there you have it, most of us have realised that it's the only way, start your own night.

The only other way is if you have an unbelievably good collection, and I mean loads of heavy weight tunes and maybe some one offs. Or if you are a millionaire you can just buy yourself the best collection.

Sorry to be negetive, but I speak from experiance. Good luck though. Phil.

Phil,

Being a top DJ on the Northern scene and getting lots of work has nothing to do with with one offs and the best collection.

I turn down 99% of DJ's who approach me....reason...BAD ATTITUDE.

I spoke with an old friend and a successful promoter in the Eastern counties and he agrees.

Promoters are looking beyond 'THE BOX' I just wish people would understand this.

Great Record Collections do not neccessarily make for good DJ who works as part of an ongoing team.

The ones who regularly bitch about lack of top bookings need to ask themselves..WHY?

I think part of this thread was about ARSE LICKING, well any good promoter should not be swayed by this.

You pick the right team and if there's a gap, use a good local or a tryout.

There is a spin on my comments though. The scene as we knew it has changed. We now have BIG EVENTS, SMALL ONES and THEMES(ie Crossover, R&B etc etc). If a DJ wants to stick to total up front Rarities that have little national appeal.....then GREAT. But remember the scene has over 35 years of different likes, dislikes and opinions.

DJ'ing...easy isn't it?

Social source share

Gotta be easier than,all the bullshit it take`s to get a set anywhere,i`ve done both and it is... ph34r.gif

Ken

Just jesting Kenny. I always include a unknown DJ in my choice at Winsford. Everyone has to start somewhere. Bit scary for some getting thrown in at the deep end doing a nighter but on the whole they seem to enjoy it and if they get a good response from the punters the look of pride on there faces is worth the questions i get asked ........... Who,s that, How did they get a spot etc, etc, etc.

Steve

Social source share

I'd have to agree with you there Kev, I'd rather hear a D.J with imagination and can appeal to all tastes.

Maybe one way to fund a Northern collection, is to set up a paypal account and register with ebay, first of all put up all your household possesions up for sale and when your paypal account is nice and fat, start buying the vinyl....... ph34r.gif

Social source share

Simon

Djs come in many different forms..Do you wanna be Freddie the floor filler everytime or a man who likes to take a risk sometimes..Different promoters want different things,you would have to ask the promoter whats on the menue at some places,i would say bring your own food to the party because the food at some places aint that fresh.. ph34r.gif ..You have to choose what kind of venue is for you and your music,some will love you and some will be like me walking into a Klu Klux Klan meeting..

Social source share

seem to enjoy it and if they get a good response from the punters the look of pride on there faces is worth the questions i get asked ...........Steve

Although I can't call myself a DJ, my was I proud when I did a spot at a charity do and another promoter came up when I finished and asked me to do a spot at their do beer.gif and to see people dancing to the records I played was fantastic ph34r.gif

Social source share

I'd have to agree with you there Kev, I'd rather hear a D.J with imagination and can appeal to all tastes.

Maybe one way to fund a Northern collection, is to set up a paypal account and register with ebay, first of all put up all your household possesions up for sale and when your paypal account is nice and fat, start buying the vinyl....... ph34r.gif

With todays prices the house would need to go as well beer.gif

Social source share

My advice would be

Don`t do it!

If there is anything that unites this scene it is the universal pleasure gained from slagging off most dj`s for not playing every record that each individual soulie at any event wants to hear. whistling.gif

On a serious note you cannot go far wrong by doing everything that Dave Rimmer does who is one of the most honest and unconceited dj on the scene ( in my humble opinion as a punter ).

Social source share

Being a top DJ on the Northern scene and getting lots of work has nothing to do with with one offs and the best collection.

Wise words Kev tongue.gif Although a imaginetive brain and an ear for a good tune, will go along way whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

I think the first question you should ask yourself is why do I want to become a DJ. If it's not the reason below then I question why you want to bother unless it's to be a STAR or you are a teenager, when I suppose there's some other benefits to being a DJ. (Girls, free drinks, club entry etc.)

I started in youth club, because I didn't like all Slade, Bay City Roller, Gary Glitter tracks being played, and I wanted people to hear all these great Motown/Soul tracks that I reckoned were being missed by the general crowd. I progressed to nite clubs also did the weddings, birthdays and holdiay camps playing pop chart stuff but always managed to get in some class SOUL music, and was always being asked were can you get that track, quite often it would be a new release, so punter would troop off to local record shop and hopefully got to pick up said track.

As far as Soul Scene is concerned I still have this attitude, if I think tracks need airing to a wider audience then I spin it, even the Oldie, Oldies crowd would get sick of hearing the same 25 record spot each and every week, it has to move on, this is how the Pop charts work each week, we all want to hear something new, it's just getting the balance right.

If it is for you, good luck, it's difficult out there and your own night is the best route. whistling.gif

Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Phil,

I turn down 99% of DJ's who approach me....reason...BAD ATTITUDE.

I spoke with an old friend and a successful promoter in the Eastern counties and he agrees.

Promoters are looking beyond 'THE BOX' I just wish people would understand this.

Great Record Collections do not neccessarily make for good DJ who works as part of an ongoing team.

The ones who regularly bitch about lack of top bookings need to ask themselves..WHY?

I think part of this thread was about ARSE LICKING, well any good promoter should not be swayed by this.

You pick the right team and if there's a gap, use a good local or a tryout.

There is a spin on my comments though. The scene as we knew it has changed. We now have BIG EVENTS, SMALL ONES and THEMES(ie Crossover, R&B etc etc). If a DJ wants to stick to total up front Rarities that have little national appeal.....then GREAT. But remember the scene has over 35 years of different likes, dislikes and opinions.

DJ'ing...easy isn't it?

Hi Kev,

To be honest I have never met you, so I only know you from your promotions / business dealings etc. But what I should have made clear was, what I, and you, consider to be big events, are totally different. I wouldn't be seen dead at one of your promotions, and would never dj at one [not that I'd ever be asked, obviously] No, I was refering to the northern soul scene, you ought to try it sometime, it's brilliant.

No, sarchasem aside, all you need to be a top jock at your promotions is the "top 500" record box. Just pass it on to the next "top dj" as you walk off. Sorry Kev but you sold out a long time ago, and there is still a scene out there, trying to keep it rare and underground. Which is quite hard when you keep re-issuing / bootlegging? everything.

I can't help but admire your abillity to part people from there money, but I don't think Simon was asking how do I become a dj with no credibility, and get to play the same records week in week out. Think he was asking those dreadfull record collectors, the ones who live in the real world, and are constantly looking for something new to spin, for their advice. No offence, off course. whistling.gif Phil Kowalski.

Edited by quinvy
Social source share

this is getting really funny again,agressive record collectors v dance round your handbag promoters,what a laugh whistling.gif:thumbup::unsure: i sit firmly with the record collectors,who put in the graft to find the new sounds,only to have them cribbed by big name djs,and to round things off get slagged by the big promoters for being aliens who want to here something different,snottiest comment so far a collector with a great record collection cant string a set together,thats a cop out if ever i heard one,keep the plebs in there place :unsure::ohmy::yes::yes:

Social source share

Phil,

Eh whistling.gif What`s a top DJ then? I`d go out of my way to avoid anyone who see`s it as work, but maybe that`s because I`m not a punter.

You don`t need to be a DJ unless there are no DJ`s playing the stuff you want to hear. You don`t need to run a venue unless there are no venues with policies you approve of. Just get about & dance we are chocka block already :dance:

Social source share

,snottiest comment so far a collector with a great record collection cant string a set together,thats a cop out if ever i heard one,keep the plebs in there place whistling.gif:thumbup::unsure::unsure:

Why its true, alot of people cant string a spot together to save there lives.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

You don`t need to be a DJ unless there are no DJ`s playing the stuff you want to hear. You don`t need to run a venue unless there are no venues with policies you approve of. Just get about & dance we are chocka block already :dance:

precisely and well said ....... thats why i am both Dj and promoter .

Davie

Social source share