The Mighty Lover Or Cool Off

Now, not quite sure where this comes into it or what level of ration it would be establishing - not sure what I'd vote for, those are both boring records in my book - surely you are not trying to say 'Cool Off' is a better 'Soul' record than 'Mighty Lover'?...

That doesn't even enter in it for me where Northern Soul is concerned - Cool Off is a better Northern Soul record in my opinion. Pointless saying (to me) that because it's got proper lyrics it's therefore a proper song and is more soulful because, as you know, I don't base my favourite records on whether they are soulful or not, otherwise Joannie Sommers, Cajun Hart, Dean Parrish and Chapter Five wouldn't be in my top 30. I like what I like the sound of, I don't give it some kind of soul test first Rich. I give you Georgie Fame :lol:

Social source share

That doesn't even enter in it for me where Northern Soul is concerned - Cool Off is a better Northern Soul record in my opinion. Pointless saying (to me) that because it's got proper lyrics it's therefore a proper song and is more soulful because, as you know, I don't base my favourite records on whether they are soulful or not, otherwise Joannie Sommers, Cajun Hart, Dean Parrish and Chapter Five wouldn't be in my top 30. I like what I like the sound of, I don't give it some kind of soul test first Rich. I give you Georgie Fame :lol:

Nothing wrong with any of those records in their own right mate...I just prefer the more soulful end of Northern, hence my preference for 'Mighty lover' and of course in the real soul world, I'm in BILLY STEWART'S corner....There, taken us four or five years to go full circle but we got back there!.... :lol:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

So of those who expressed a preference, Cool Off wins by 7 votes to 5.

I bet the people who voted for Mighty Lover probably rate If It's All The Same To You Babe higher than Exus Trek as well.

You're absolutely right Pete - based on soul content rather than nostalgia content ;-)

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I just went for it 'cos it was cool as f*ck! A song called "Cool Off" written and produced by Richard "Popcorn Wylie and Tony Hestor by a group called the Detrout Executives on a tiny Detroit label called Pameline.

Irresistible to me and that was before I even heard it LOL..... :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

That's exactly what happened Russell. "Cool Off" was specifically made for a soft drink ad that aired in Detroit I believe......

Great story but is there any evidence of this Ian? I agree it sounds that way, but it's also clearly a 'dance fad' tune too.

All those SWIM records weren't made to advertise the local baths after all :D

Social source share

Great story but is there any evidence of this Ian? I agree it sounds that way, but it's also clearly a 'dance fad' tune too.

All those SWIM records weren't made to advertise the local baths after all :D

You're right, nothing to do with a drinks advert, I had a superb interview recorded with Popcorn Wylie where he talks about this, I think I may have actually transcribed it in one of my magazines, anyway I lent it to Tim Brown 18 years ago and it never saw the light of day again :(

Social source share

You're right, nothing to do with a drinks advert, I had a superb interview recorded with Popcorn Wylie where he talks about this, I think I may have actually transcribed it in one of my magazines, anyway I lent it to Tim Brown 18 years ago and it never saw the light of day again :(

Well dig the mag out and scan it then Pete!

Social source share

Which one do you think would go down well on the dance floor most of all and what one would you have in your box? Trying to make my mind up between the two. Cheers Billy

Billy ,

go for the " Cool off " as i know of at least 5 x copies of the Mighty lover are already kicking around in local Dj boxes.

Have a nice "glass of cold pop " to think it over . Good classic oldie !!!

cheers Frank

Social source share

Guest ritchie

I bet the people who voted for Mighty Lover probably rate If It's All The Same To You Babe higher than Exus Trek as well.

Lost your bet in this case Pete. Always gonna be Exus Trek for me :)

Edited by ritchie
Social source share

Mighty Lover, lover here :thumbsup: I like cool off too it's just the "fine foxy thing" line makes me squirm and feel embarrassed :wub:

You fine foxy thing Ritchie! :lol:

That's exactly what happened Russell. "Cool Off" was specifically made for a soft drink ad that aired in Detroit I believe......

Not sure which one came first though. Did Wylie & Hestor simply re-cycle the Mighty Lovers backing track for the ad song I wonder...?

I heard that as well but the sands of time have eroded when, where and from whome :g::lol:

Mighty lover for me as well, and yes I prefer ''if it's all the same to you babe'' :)

Theres always one :lol:

Social source share

I actually had a dig around the internet to see if I could find a radio or TV ad featuring "Cool Off" but drew a blank, so I'm even beginning to wonder if this was a Northern Soul urban myth. It seems a curious set of lyrics to release on a song and not be a song for a drink ad but stranger things have happened I guess......

But "The Mighty Lover" was definitely used for advertising extra-strength condoms right?

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Like Pete,did an interview with Popcorn and although he referred to Coke as being an influence, it wasn't an advert as such, merely an inspiration. Wen he refres to "pop" it's Coca Cola he's talking about, but not specifically. It could have been any drink of the time, It's more the feeling of wanting refreshment.

If anyone is buying, I have three for sale. Mighty Lovers on Boogaloo, Cool Off on orange Pameline and a white label Cool Off autographed by Popcorn that John Anderson had done as a legit re-press which says "Best wishes Popcorn". Rarest has to be the latter as it was done in limited quantity. Next is Mighty Lovers as some were destroyed. Finally there are the two Pameline issues, orange being least rare and green being the rarer.

As far as what i would play, as Ian said.... Cool Off all the way. Cool at the time and even cooler now. A superb record, a classic, a standard and a pure off the wall Northern record from a man that never yes never, got the recognition for providing the Northern scene with some of the best that we have ever had the peasure of hearing, listening to and dancing to. An unsung genius that I had the pleasure of meeting.

Steve

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Cool off anyday, reminds me of Rug who I recently hear died a few years ago played at soul nights in wilkys bedroom for a small select group of blockers along with other great sounds of the day.refreshments of the special sort being available.

Social source share

What are the votes looking like now Pete - worth an update?

Both fabulous records IMO and the Detroit Executives is the best group name by a mile - even though the Mighty Lovers/Ideals is a better song :D

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Like Pete,did an interview with Popcorn and although he referred to Coke as being an influence, it wasn't an advert as such, merely an inspiration. Wen he refres to "pop" it's Coca Cola he's talking about, but not specifically. It could have been any drink of the time, It's more the feeling of wanting refreshment.

If anyone is buying, I have three for sale. Mighty Lovers on Boogaloo, Cool Off on orange Pameline and a white label Cool Off autographed by Popcorn that John Anderson had done as a legit re-press which says "Best wishes Popcorn". Rarest has to be the latter as it was done in limited quantity. Next is Mighty Lovers as some were destroyed. Finally there are the two Pameline issues, orange being least rare and green being the rarer.

As far as what i would play, as Ian said.... Cool Off all the way. Cool at the time and even cooler now. A superb record, a classic, a standard and a pure off the wall Northern record from a man that never yes never, got the recognition for providing the Northern scene with some of the best that we have ever had the peasure of hearing, listening to and dancing to. An unsung genius that I had the pleasure of meeting.

Steve

A couple of the Coke ads that were probably Wylie's inspiration for Cool Off ... these are from 1960 I think.

COOL OFF WITH COKE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bartsol/6632249697/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bartsol/6712221035/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!