Art Gentry - Merry Go Round

• Replies 18
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

had this old russ winstanley wigan spin for a while now ,,gr8 dancer ..i would have said £50....but now an 'auction item' who knows?

Auction ?

There's one in stock at Anglo for £30

Always a nice tune in my book, though there was a time when you couldn't give 'em away.

The A side is actually a great true "blue eyed soul" tune, I Can't Make It".

I was wondering if his Mojo release Breakthrough/Wonderful dream from 1972, was any good?

The CD only unreleased "this is my chance" also a great crossover tune.

Regards

Mick

Edited by Mick Sway
Social source share

Auction ?

There's one in stock at Anglo for £30

Always a nice tune in my book, though there was a time when you couldn't give 'em away.

The A side is actually a great true "blue eyed soul" tune, I Can't Make It".

I was wondering if his Mojo release Breakthrough/Wonderful dream from 1972, was any good?

The CD only unreleased "this is my chance" also a great crossover tune.

Regards

Mick

Auction ? Yes I couldn't believe that either, ridiculous. Still somebody will buy it for some outrageous sum.

From memory "Breakthrough/Wonderful dream" are two good soul sides. A world away from Merry Go Round

Social source share

Just bought one from a member here for the price Pete quoted.

Credit to Manship for highlighting the quality of the other side though, as it's an exceptional piece of Memphis soul which I'd never heard and never seen mentioned as being any good before. I'd put it in the same league as something like Tony Borders "Promise To Myself" with a great arrangement and a soaring, emotional final minute. Top stuff.

As for Art being white does anyone know for sure? His voice is an acquired taste but he definitely can sing. The Abet 45 is pretty nice: two quality midpace early 70s Memphis tracks written and produced by George Jackson. His version of Wonderful Dream is probably a bit better than Jackson's own Decca 45.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi all and thanks Mick for pluing the excellant B side, of the great merry go round, and I to fully endorse this side, making the record a must for any box, and it's also a pisure to read that this record still turns you on? it certainly would be in mt top 200, was this a CATS play 1st? :g: DAVE
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

:hatsoff2: Hi all and thanks Mick for pluing the excellant B side, of the great merry go round, and I to fully endorse this side, making the record a must for any box, and it's also a pisure to read that this record still turns you on? it certainly would be in mt top 200, was this a CATS play 1st? :g: DAVE

Don't know where Art was first played, but for those that missed post,

his auction copy of Art Gentry went for £138 , as per below:

Art Gentry

Merry-go-round C/w I Can't Make It (with Out You)

Bob Manuel's Memphis project features a brief brass intro that collides with a frantic runaway-train guitar rhythm, Art Gentry effortlessly harnesses his vocal to. The Memphis horn section takes the reigns and provides a floor-dismantling session which no brakes or means of slowing down.

THIS IS A NORTHERN SOUL STOMPER!

Flip it over and experience Bob Manuel using the same ingredients for a totally different effect, this side is where the real value lies in this vanishing disc. A soulful down-tempo journey through pain, despair and fear.

Gentry's expressive vocal is dressed with a shrill girl chorus, haunting brass and precise piano interventions, Art's so smooth vocal sits in the middle of all this sadness, serving up a soulful crossover stroller from the top-drawer.

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL CROSSOVER at it's finest.

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 138.00

7008sm.jpg

Edited by Mick Sway
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...Personally, I think that it has become inevitable, that as the old NORTHERN SOUL SCENE, Got the TAG of naffness! from some collectors, who when back in the days, realised that the Top sounds were no longer found in junk shops, flea markets and even in racks in the local news agent or CO-OP, And the only way to get into the rare record aspect of the scene, and directed focus on 70s & 80s stuff, it is and was a certainty, that for a period of time, some classic Northern records sat in boxes for far to many years,

And we have seen certain records that were soul pack finds or easy to pick up, Betty Swan 'kiss' on Atlantic was common and a good record, another easy record that even now amazes me that it shot up so out of the blue, 'Stanky day off' went from £1 to £100? if that makes sense, at the same time I saw touch my heart sell at £50 :g: if you no the logic behind that, sorry I don't, but, for the majority of records that were played in 72 to 75 are now all worth £40+ KEITHS right to sit on records like merry go round, as he like me and you who have the record it was a cheap record with a price tag 25 years ago, how many are out there in peoples boxes, again not many, also I remember quite a few copies in the Wolves area back then , maybe MAX NEIL PEP Mr T SHOPS got them from Anderson? but they were not as common elsewhere?

Finally if you played young people those classics in the conditions as you first had heard them, and put the same people in the same conditions as you here the stuff played to day, it is obvious what would be the favoured type to listen to, :wicked: DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert