Hytones Acetate Hear

Mal C

Unknown 60s Northern Soul Acetate HEAR

https://www.ebay.co.u...9#ht_500wt_1413

Seems to be a different take on the Kent anniversary The Hytones - Good News 45, I asked the chap selling it where he got it from, and he cant remember, and he offered nothing more than that. Deffo a different take, but if you are one of the four bidding on this, beware!!

Mal.C. :unsure:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Never really liked "good news" that much, but the ballad flip is great! Did this ever came out?

i'm sure the ballad was released and it's the same lead singer on the release (if not the same recording) but I can't think of what it is.

Social source share

seller just came back to me again, said he prefers not to divulge where things came from but he says this is from a Publishers acetate out of Miami... so there you go.

m

isn't a publisher's acetate usually a sparse songwriter's demo? because that one side is exactly identical to freddie waters.

Social source share

I seen this last month.. https://cgi.ebay.com/...em=330702276248 Freddie Waters

yeah, i saw that too, it's funny how many collectors only know the ultra-expensive items.

once i saw someone who should have been more knowledgable win a trashed manhattans on carnival where the label had fallen off but where there was a soundclip, for over $100. it wasn't even listed as unreleased, the seller was just like "I don't know what this is".

Social source share

Def different .... have another listen

Yep, different takes. You can already here it when they start singing the first "yeah" after "good news in the morning". On the 6Ts anniversary 45 one singer sort of fades into "yeah". On the acetate it's a seperate word if you know what I mean.

Social source share

Oh, and I'm aware that it's Freddie Waters, but the harmony mix is different (read 'better') on the acetate. ;)

it sounds the same to me. if you rip the audio of that side I'll record the real record and line them up in a multitrack program so you can confirm / deny your suspicions.

Also, if I were bidding on this item, I would be pissed that someone so explicitly pointed it out (yes I know there's another thread about it but the explicit title of this one, plus you being super excited about something else on the record, would probably incite even more people to look and maybe bid). I probably wouldn't make you a recording because of it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just telling you what most winners would think.

Also, I know that sweet soul collectors aren't going to drop hundreds if not a thousand dollars just to get a slightly different mix of a cheap record.

A better strategy would be to put in a bid at the lowest possible amount, which will be automatically outbid. Once you get a bid in you can get the ID of the high bidder and send them a message pleading your case (or offer a little money for a recording). If you really posted wanting to find out the high bidder you can PM me and I'll let you know how to get it (not that it's a huge secret).

Social source share

once i saw someone who should have been more knowledgable win a trashed manhattans on carnival where the label had fallen off but where there was a soundclip, for over $100. it wasn't even listed as unreleased, the seller was just like "I don't know what this is".

Saw another case of that happen a couple of years ago. A UK "big name DJ" bought a copy of The Platters "Hear, Speak, See No Evil" on MUSICOR. The auction had a soundclip, but the 45 had its labels scratched off. It went for $150+. :ohmy:

Social source share

I could do with knowing who snagged it so that we could include it with our license with Eddie Frierson the last remaining Hytone who would benefit from the royalties on any sales. I thought it sounded like the same backing track of Good News with a slightly different vocal take. It would be good to hear the whole darn thang.

Ady

Social source share

Yep, different takes. You can already here it when they start singing the first "yeah" after "good news in the morning". On the 6Ts anniversary 45 one singer sort of fades into "yeah". On the acetate it's a seperate word if you know what I mean.

Also the guitar is less pronounced.

Social source share

anyone who put in a bid and lost can get the full user id of the high bidder by searching for completed items they bid on and not checking "as high bidder only". In the list of items it will show the full, non-masked user id.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Lots of publishers acetates are full recorded versions of songs. Ben E King 'Gettin' To Me' being a case in point.

I don't doubt it but the publisher is pushing the song, a producer's acetate would be pushing the entire recording. The songwriter or publisher probably wouldn't want to pay for the whole production just to shop the song around unless they thought it would make a big difference or if they were also hoping to produce the record.

Social source share

I don't doubt it but the publisher is pushing the song, a producer's acetate would be pushing the entire recording. The songwriter or publisher probably wouldn't want to pay for the whole production just to shop the song around unless they thought it would make a big difference or if they were also hoping to produce the record.

True but sometimes there were no basic song demos. In the Ben E King case the writers were the producers and as they knew they were gonna give the song a full production anyway would have skipped the basic demo stage and give the publishers (in the UK it was Carlin) the full production job.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers Chalky, I wondered where that'd gone! ;)

Thanks for the constructive feedback Boba. With due respect it was hardly a secret. There was already a well established, explicit thread prior to mine. Not least, by the time I'd even shown any interest there was already $1000 on the clock so it had hardly gone under the radar.

Also, I'm not interested in seeking eBay names, I've never really aligned myself to the buying habits of other collectors enough to know their real names from a bidding avatar. It's probably gone to one of four I can think of. 

I don't need to align the tracks in fancy software. They're perceptively different, just maybe not to your ears. ;)

Think you're right Ady, same backing, different vocal takes on both sides. 

Social source share

you're right, posting on a message board telling anyone who reads it and wins the record to record it for you is much more effective than sending a message through ebay to the winning ebay user politely asking for a recording and interacting with them directly.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!