An 'unlisted' Jackie Shane 45?

• Replies 9
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

That's what I was wondering - obviously both Jackie and Frank Motley are Canucks, but there's nothing on the labels to give a clue about where it was issued.

If the flip were the same as on the Stop copy, I'd lean more to it being a Canadian copy, but it isn't.

Possibly a later issue of Money to cash in on his success with Sue?

Social source share

Yes, I have it - I've been trying to scoop up all of his releases...

The flip is a medium tempo bluesy ballad with Piano and horn backing - very late 50s / early 60s sounding.

I've got a feeling that you may be right about the Stop release being later, but find it strange that the stop copy is credited to Little Jackie Shane.

Social source share

Most of The Canadian records I've seen say "Manufactured in Canada" on them (admittedly not all). Frank Motley did a fair amount of work in Detroit (and Jackie appeared there a fair amount). But I don't hear Detroit session players in the instrumental. I'll be interested to find out when those records were released, and where Star Shot Records was located.

Social source share

That should be "Manufactured and distributed in Canada by Phonodisc Records". It looks like late '60s (somewhere during 1966-69). It sounds like a 1965-66 recording. I'm curious to know when it was released, and how "Money" came to Stop Records. "money had been part of Jackie's act for some years before this release.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert