Ebay Trickster

Every so often you see something that makes you blood run cold. I dislike when people sell records on flase pretences at overly inflated values or a pressing guised as an original etc.

But when I see this happen on ebay and the seller goes to such extent in his add to make it impossible for the duped buyer to get his money back when he realises hes been had, and at the same time the seller making it impossible for anyone to e-mail the bidders to warn them of what is happening, then that said seller needs and deserves to be exposed.

Anyway here you go.. here is the link to the MEGA RARE!!! Phonetics..

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can you not 'ask seller a question' so it shows up on their advert?

Do they automatically show up? I thought the seller had to choose to let them be shown on the listing? Might be wrong, not sold anything on there for ages.

Social source share

Do they automatically show up? I thought the seller had to choose to let them be shown on the listing? Might be wrong, not sold anything on there for ages.

Yes you can choose which questions you can put on the listing

Kirsty

Social source share

Can you not 'ask seller a question' so it shows up on their advert?

As somebody has rightly pointed out - Only the seller has the control to show or hide questions, and can therefore choose to only show questions/ answers which show the item in a positive light, and not show those that cast doubt on it!

Social source share

I have had records from this guy and had no problems . he will answer questions and I carnt see any where that he states it is the original release, He dosnt say its a boot either.He has 2 carstaires up for aution that ive got me eye on at the momant and he states that they are machine stamped. So I think its a case of buyer beware and read the small print. Not the staightist way to do bussness but he is a salesman afterall

Social source share

I actually mailed him to point out the error of his ways.

he did sAy in all fairness.I noprmally sell doo-wop but

"I PAID $20 EACH FOR THE TWO COPIES I BOUGHT OF A GUY IN THE UK" Pissed myself laughing...

..MY REPLY WAS SHORT AND SWEET.

RARE RECORDS DONT SELL FOR $20 anywhere in the world MATE.

WAKEN UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

Social source share

I have had records from this guy and had no problems . he will answer questions and I carnt see any where that he states it is the original release, He dosnt say its a boot either.He has 2 carstaires up for aution that ive got me eye on at the momant and he states that they are machine stamped. So I think its a case of buyer beware and read the small print. Not the staightist way to do bussness but he is a salesman afterall

yes, but he uses the term 'mega rare northern', doesn't he?

by that description, I would assume that the record was an original, but would ask for clarification just in case. I would also ask about returns/refunds etc. for his volume of trade, his negative feedback is quite low. he also seems a communicative seller. I would say proceed with caution. I might try him on some cheap stuff. I see he's offering the coasters 'crazy baby' with a stamped atlantic distribution mark. 1 bid with 6 days to go...

Social source share

Oh come on Stevie Wonder can see its a boot..

He obviously did not know as he is a doo-wop man

His carstais and constellations too are not real either

Not questining you for one second but, please tell me how you can tell the carstaires is a boot as I nearly paid 60 quid for one last month at the wilton and it looked the same as this with a stamped matrix No. In fact ther were 2 on sale that night. and one deffo sold, I know shane was after one at that time maybe he got one.

Social source share

This is why its a boot

Ime not on about that its the Carstaires ime on about

https://www.melingo.com/thesoulnet/staton.htm

Going by manships bootleg guide, Bootleg is a white demo and has STERLING scratched in. the original has it STAMPED in

So can you tell just by looking and if so how ?? Sorry if ime being thick but you got me worried, got to admit that ive only ever noticed the matrix nos and not looked for the STERLING.

Social source share

Not saying cus I'm gonna sell it and don't want to hear 'You only paid $20 for it you robbing ba$tard!!!'

laugh.gif:thumbsup::unsure:

At the end of the day - The two things are completely unrelated. How much you paid for something is irrelevent when you come to sell it. What it is actually worth Is what matters! - if you picked up a bargain.... Good on you! - (PS If it's Howard Peters 'Tighten Up the Slack', I'd happily give you the $20! :P )

Social source share

I dont really know its just a gut feeling

the others are fake and it just dont look real to me.

IMO of course..I may well be wrong..but judging by his other sales??

Ime not on about that its the Carstaires ime on about

https://www.melingo.com/thesoulnet/staton.htm

Going by manships bootleg guide, Bootleg is a white demo and has STERLING scratched in. the original has it STAMPED in

So can you tell just by looking and if so how ?? Sorry if ime being thick but you got me worried, got to admit that ive only ever noticed the matrix nos and not looked for the STERLING.

Social source share

I dont really know its just a gut feeling

the others are fake and it just dont look real to me.

IMO of course..I may well be wrong..but judging by his other sales??

Just got an email from the seller he says its got SS stamped in the runout. Not sterling so seems you where right ohmy.gif Thaks for that

Social source share

AN ANSWER TO BARBARA'S e-MAIL:

Good morning Barbara,

Thank you for your eMail. I had to join that site (SOUL SOURCE) in order to find the Post (Which I did).

I have been on eBay since Nov. 1999 and never had a problem. In the beginning I would give a full refund and I was getting records back without a reason. I now state All Sales Final. BUT if a customer is unhappy I do give a refund. My eBay statement From my own Collection. If I buy a record from you today and next month decide to sell it on eBay I still believe it's from my own collection. All the statements on my listings are standord this way I only have to type the record title. I bought my first record in 1953 and had over 18,000 7" 45s. All records from the late 40s to the early 60s. Today they call them Doo Wop. I never bought any what they call today Northern Soul except early items on Motown (Satintones, etc.).

I do buy and sell on eBay as you can see in my Feedback. I get eMail from all over with people asking me to buy records as well as Autographed Items (Baseballs etc.). The record on the Trudel Label looks good to me and I paid $18 from the UK. I put it on eBay for $24.99. I can not tell Plastic from Vinyl as you stated. I do not have any info as to the Matrix numbers or the numbers written in the Dead Wax. The label looks really good and the sound quality is fine. Even tho I have never seen it before. Now as far as a Private Auction. I use to let everyone see the bidders and started to receive complaints from eBayers. Example: You place a bid of say $90. Someone bids $95 and wins the record. They even used a snip program which is legal on eBay and places a bid automatically 4 seconds before the auction's end. The next day you receive an eMail that someone has the record and will sell it to you for $75. You send the money and never get the record. Ebay can not help you. I have never had a negative feedback that said I would not give a Full Refund. I have cancelled checks and PayPal refunds that were sent. Not many because most are happy. I say on eBay if you have any doubt or I do not answer a question to your liking Please DO NOT BID. I was confused at first when you sent me the first email from: Question for item #4805525858 - RARE DOO WOP THE DELLS. Because I bought that record when it was first released. 2 people from the UK told me they would send me a scan of the Phonetics record. I have not received the scan?

I know you bought a record by The Manhattans from me. Which one did you buy from me that in your opinion was a Boot????? As I was finishing this note I just received an eMail ahowing me a label of a rePro? My label is Silver ???

I went to this site raresoulman.co.uk

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist....rtist=PHONETICS and found record number 101?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Respectfully,

Joseph

76960.jpgborder.gifPHONETICS

Just a boys dream

Very ltd repro, from willie hutch. duplicating the original almost perfectly. top quality sound, of what can only be described as one of the best northern soul male group dancers ever to come out of l. a. again superb value with flipside what good am i

What good am i (without you)

border.gif

Social source share

I have one record up by the Carstairs (A promo). I have never seen a 2nd pressing Promo. If it is a Boot I am unaware because I do not have any knowledge what comes out of the UK. I buy and sell many items. It has an SS machine stamped in the Dead Wax and CAR 1 A written?? I am very familar with Doo Wop but not northern soul. I only add on a few dollars more to any item I buy if I sell it. Respectfully, Joseph

Social source share

Seems to a lot of these about

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&ssPageName=:IT

Foslands sold for 15 quid Just gos to show that a little knowledge can be a dangerious thing . I would of most likly won this and paid over the odds for this if it was'nt for oul Source and I now Know how to spot an original, and it is firmly etched in the memory banks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert