Incredibles There's Nothing Else To Say On Era 022

piko

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I have no actual info to refute your dating Robb but would guess this reissue came at the end of your suggested timescale.

The Incredibles gained a UK release around September 1967 but (to the best of my knowledge) the UK 45 wasn't getting extensive club plays until 1969.

I & my friends started looking for copies of it around early 1970 , by then UK copies of the 45 had just about dried up (unless you were lucky or bought a 2nd hand copy).

So we chased US copies & we just about all got one ... BUT ... no one I know turned up an Era copy, we all found original copies.

Maybe, it was around the end of 1970 or 1971 (or a bit later still) when Brits had been chasing US copies of this 45 for a while that it was licensed for reissue on Era.

Social source share

I have no actual info to refute your dating Robb but would guess this reissue came at the end of your suggested timescale.

The Incredibles gained a UK release around September 1967 but (to the best of my knowledge) the UK 45 wasn't getting extensive club plays until 1969.

I & my friends started looking for copies of it around early 1970 , by then UK copies of the 45 had just about dried up (unless you were lucky or bought a 2nd hand copy).

So we chased US copies & we just about all got one ... BUT ... no one I know turned up an Era copy, we all found original copies.

Maybe, it was around the end of 1970 or 1971 (or a bit later still) when Brits had been chasing US copies of this 45 for a while that it was licensed for reissue on Era.

You may well be correct that it was a '70-71 release. I just went by memory of that Era oldies series and later label design) (remembering that it didn't exist in 1965-67) They had a Golden label (Era Golden Oldies?). I knew it must have been out in the very end of the '60s or, more likely, the early '70s (but BEFORE the P 1972 dating on the records.

Social source share

Was there really an oldies / reissue market for late 60s recordings in 1970?

There were oldies series out on various labels all through the '60s and '70s to feed the US market (Oldies 45 from VJ), Modern Oldies, Chess, Lost Nite, Lana, Era Oldies, Collectables, ABC(Goldies 45), Bell Oldies, Atlantic, Motown Hitsville, Eric, Hi-Oldies, Capitol Starline Series, UA Oldies, King(Gusto), Scepter-Wand Forever, etc.

Social source share

There were oldies series out on various labels all through the '60s and '70s to feed the US market (Oldies 45 from VJ), Modern Oldies, Chess, Lost Nite, Lana, Era Oldies, Collectables, ABC(Goldies 45), Bell Oldies, Atlantic, Motown Hitsville, Eric, Hi-Oldies, Capitol Starline Series, UA Oldies, King(Gusto), Scepter-Wand Forever, etc.

how many of the oldies series named above existed in 1970?

Social source share

I think Goldies 45, Era Oldies, Modern Oldies, Eric, King (Gusto) and Atlantic and Motown (Hitsville), and, I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple. There was a market in USA. Record shops had a fair amount of 45 oldies on re-issue labels.

Social source share

HI ALL....Yes it is very much a legit copy, I can remember buying this, way back in 1972, in the Pilgrims Pub in Bedford (an essential place to go to in the early days of our scene) I had been looking for the record, since late 1970, and at last I had found it, I paid 10/- or 50np, and I played the thing to death! :thumbsup: it was not till I got to know Mick Smith very well, that I realised that it was a reissue, and the best bit, e showed me the real rare copy on a $tatside G&W DEMO,

It took me another 15 years to get myself a DEMO! of Mick who else? :rofl: DAVE

Social source share

Another US oldies label around by 1970 ........ (Epic) Memory Lane (Major Lance, etc).

Lots of US labels (Chess, Motown, etc) just re-pressed old tracks on the same imprint (label) as the original .....

... however the new copy would have that company's current label design NOT the label design being used when each particular 45 had originally escaped into the shops.

I know they came later, but when did the Brunswick 45's with black writing on a gold label first start to appear ??

Social source share

On 4/1/2012 at 00:20, Roburt said:

Another US oldies label around by 1970 ........ (Epic) Memory Lane (Major Lance, etc).

Lots of US labels (Chess, Motown, etc) just re-pressed old tracks on the same imprint (label) as the original .....

... however the new copy would have that company's current label design NOT the label design being used when each particular 45 had originally escaped into the shops.

I know they came later, but when did the Brunswick 45's with black writing on a gold label first start to appear ??

I think that was in 1970 or 1971. Verve also has an oldies line, as did many other labels. As stated above, ever since 1960, there was a small, but significant market for oldies re-issues in USA, totally independent of any UK demand.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Am I cluthing straws to say these look alike. :g:

Are you hinting that these may well not have been boots but legal re-issues or more likely the other way round & that The Incredibles is a boot ? ......I wouldnt have a clue btw but the blue colour on all 3 looks the same ?....Mind you there would be a 6 year gap between The Incredibles & the other two & why would Laine Hill have not been transfered to ERA if there is a legit connection ?

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Was there really an oldies / reissue market for late 60s recordings in 1970?

Yep I guess so. I also think there was a significant juke box market. When I first went to states in the mid 70's, I never used the term 'oldies' whenever people asked what I was looking for because they'd always lead you to the re-issue 45's sections. Most of the Motown 60's hits were being re-issued by the mid 70's. I eventually knew to ask for the 'junk' or the 10 cent box because that's where the goodies always were........

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert