Vibrations - 'cause You're Mine

Guest Ian 1930

Guest Ian 1930

Apologies if this has been done before but I've found a copy of 'Cause You're Mine' on e-Bay but I'm not sure it's an original.

Obvious differences are a different shade of yellow, the addition of the word 'STEREO' above the '45 RPM ' on the left hand side and the 'Epic marca reg' etc in lower case rather than upper case.

I don't want to spend £100 on a boot so could anyone assure me that what I've seen is an original but just a different press?

$(KGrHqVHJBsE9BgbGc5-BPb4P,sysQ~~60_58.JPGEPIC_5-10418-A-1.gif

Social source share

Guest trickbag

US ORIGINAL The vibrations cause your mine northern soul 45 (7" vinyl)

250993498794.jpg

Start Time: 02/11/2012 End Time: 02/18/2012

Seller Feedback: 13 Buyer Feedback: 65

End Price: $245.13 USD Number of Bids: 14

250993498794.jpg

collectors frenzy

ricky.

Social source share

Apologies if this has been done before but I've found a copy of 'Cause You're Mine' on e-Bay but I'm not sure it's an original.

Obvious differences are a different shade of yellow, the addition of the word 'STEREO' above the '45 RPM ' on the left hand side and the 'Epic marca reg' etc in lower case rather than upper case.

I don't want to spend £100 on a boot so could anyone assure me that what I've seen is an original but just a different press?

Please read this from Select 45 :

Don't know how accurate it is, but it starts:

"Buying Vinyl today, you really do need to be sure you are actually buying the Original"

pplogo.jpg Original Pressings Info

Original Pressings Info

"Stereo added to a label of older music often means a 70s press especially if the music is playing in Mono, look at your yellow Epic copy of Vibrations 'Cause You're Mine' with Stereo added & then you'll see it's an early 70s press, not the 1969 one which had narrower & smaller typeface! Stereo 45s do exist from 1958, but will be easily proved originals from other factors."

Mick

Social source share

Guest Ian 1930

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to wait until a 1969 (mono) press comes up for sale rather than buy the stereo version.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I don't have books with me that will enable me to check, but the matrix number of the 'stereo stock copy' would start with JSS rather than JSP if the single had been issued in stereo originally (which it wasn't). Columbia/Epic did not start releasing commercial 45s in stereo until well into 1970 (although I believe that mono/stereo demos of certain titles might have already been dropped into the market in '69).

Social source share

I don't have books with me that will enable me to check, but the matrix number of the 'stereo stock copy' would start with JSS rather than JSP if the single had been issued in stereo originally (which it wasn't). Columbia/Epic did not start releasing commercial 45s in stereo until well into 1970 (although I believe that mono/stereo demos of certain titles might have already been dropped into the market in '69).

I take it you mean zsp? my stereo copy has stamped matrix zsp139197-1h so that will be a 70's re-issue?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I take it you mean zsp? my stereo copy has stamped matrix zsp139197-1h so that will be a 70's re-issue?

No, I mean ZSS - that is to say, if 'Cause You're Mine' had been issued in stereo originally, the matrix number would have started with those three letters.

ZSP was Columbia's mono matrix designation. I'm not sure why the 70's repress would have the ZSP prefix. Is it actually IN stereo or does it just say stereo on the label?

Social source share

Please read this from Select 45 :

Don't know how accurate it is, but it starts:

"Buying Vinyl today, you really do need to be sure you are actually buying the Original"

pplogo.jpg Original Pressings Info

Original Pressings Info

"Stereo added to a label of older music often means a 70s press especially if the music is playing in Mono, look at your yellow Epic copy of Vibrations 'Cause You're Mine' with Stereo added & then you'll see it's an early 70s press, not the 1969 one which had narrower & smaller typeface! Stereo 45s do exist from 1958, but will be easily proved originals from other factors."

Mick

This is an interesting website, thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Social source share

No, I mean ZSS - that is to say, if 'Cause You're Mine' had been issued in stereo originally, the matrix number would have started with those three letters.

ZSP was Columbia's mono matrix designation. I'm not sure why the 70's repress would have the ZSP prefix. Is it actually IN stereo or does it just say stereo on the label?

States stereo on the label but plays in mono

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

If anyone wants to hear CYM in stereo (and a longer version of it to boot!) it's available on the Vibrations Okeh/Epic CD that I put to gether on Kent a few years back...

Social source share

Ok have we all decided that my "stereo" label that has a proper zsp matrix stamped in, but plays in mono is an original?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Ok have we all decided that my "stereo" label that has a proper zsp matrix stamped in, but plays in mono is an original?

Well, I certainly haven't - an original reissue maybe, but not an original per se.

As I said before, Columbia and their associated labels were not yet issuing stereo 45s when CYM came out, so there is no reason that the word stereo would appear on the label of this or indeed any of their 45s, whether by accident or design,

It may not be a bootleg, but it's certainly some kind of re-press.

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!