Did The Daleks Kill Off The Us Chitlin Circuit ?

Roburt

At least in Chicago, I think there was a parallel between the closing of many of the huge theaters and a movement to lots of local night clubs (most importantly the High Chaparral, but lots of other local clubs like the Guys and Gals, Green Bunny, etc.), and a movement to music being released more on small independent labels (or small sub-labels of majors). Music wasn't just more local but there also wasn't as much major label money to fund large package revue tours. In the 70s there were many small local revues, with a band, a few vocal groups, a comedian, a dancer, etc., many of these acts playing regularly at specific night clubs. Larger acts like the Chilites and Gene Chandler still toured, they just had to play the larger night clubs in each city instead of a huge theater, and they probably had shorter tour runs. Local revues sometimes did small tours, to the "college circuit" as well as smaller clubs in adjacent states.

There were local clubs (like the Club DeLisa) that artists played at even when the regal was open, but the closing of the large clubs cemented the role of local clubs as the main venues to see Black music acts (at least until the mid-to-late 70s).

Social source share

Bob, Yes the scene changed a lot in the late 60's. The top acts were demanding bigger fees & better conditions ( improved travel, hotels, food, etc) and non-chitlin circuit venues were booking soul artists into 'new' (to soul acts) venues.

Groups such as Sly & F.St., Curtis Mayfield, Baby Huey & Babysitters, Temptations, Voices of East Harlem, Bill Withers, Chambers Bros, B B King & more were joining the college & rock venue circuits. The old chitlin venues just couldn't keep up.

In New York, the venues open to soul acts changed drastically ..........

post-22122-0-84583000-1332280021_thumb.j

Social source share

The same sort of thing was also happening in Baltimore (& just about every other big city across the US). In Baltimore, DC & the like, new 'municipal' arenas were opening up for soul acts.

Some clubs saw what was coming & tried to go upmarket. Places such as the Club Venus (purpose built in a new shopping centre development) competed with the bigger venues for a few years but were eventually priced out of business ......

post-22122-0-65286800-1332280378_thumb.j

Social source share

Very interesting read. Thanks :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, how many does the Apollo hold? I've been past the Fox Theatre and it's a very impressive building, but was underwhelmed when I saw the Apollo (sorry) I'm not taking anything away from the great acts that have appeared there, I was just expecting something a bit bigger, I could see that it did stretch back some way, so maybe my passing view of it did not reveal the beauty within

Edit: How many did it hold in it's hey day

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

The Wilson Pickett Show drew to its conclusion at the Royal Theatre on 21st July, 1966.

Only 4 weeks earlier, they had set up for a big soul show across town at the Civic Centre.

The Civic Centre seated a lot bigger audience, so could afford to pay the acts higher fees.

ONLY TROUBLE WAS, at municipal venues like the Civic, they only got to play for one night.

The days of playing 7 night stints at the big city Chitlin Circuit Theatres was brought to a close

............. and as a consequence, the number of gigs the acts secured started to drop.

post-22122-0-52643600-1332488037_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The acts were 'trapped' in the Apollo between shows

as each full bill had to play more than one show per day at the theatre.

......... WHAT TO DO in all the downtime ???

Well in 1964, the Four Tops would go down into the theatre's basement

.... AND ... practice the stage moves for their newest release.

They were proper professionals them there Tops.

post-22122-0-54978100-1332826940_thumb.j

Social source share

Just thought I'd mention that the acts on at the theatres such as the Apollo did a number of shows each day.

For instance at the Apollo, shows commenced at 1pm, 4pm, 7pm & 10 pm every day...........

with an additional Midnight show on Saturdays (making 5 shows in all every Saturday).

Bet the acts were kn*ckered after those..

Social source share

In the summer (when the cities were hot & steamy), folks would

escape to the coast to enjoy a more temperate climate.

It wasn't just Carrs Beach (& Sparrows Beach) that people from

Baltimore, DC, Philly & New York would head for ..........

Atlantic City was also a very popular destination back in the 60's

post-22122-0-81227700-1333007689_thumb.j

Social source share

Back to the Howard Theater in DC ......... it has been refurbished & reopened ..........

READ a Washington Post article about it here (click on 'musicians recall past times at theater' section)

......https://www.washingto...5VxS_story.html

Amongst the people remembering the old days at the Howard, is a member of the Fawns .....

Ayana "Ann" Harrell, 61, and her sisters Mia and Avis were singers in theFawns. They performed at the Howard Theatre in 1970.

........ The Marvelettes had the best stage show. They had more dance music, like "Please, Mr. Postman" and "Don't Mess With Bill." They had the best choreography. They were sassy " sassy in their movement and sassy in their delivery. [For] "Don't Mess With Bill," [it was] hands on your hip, shaking your finger at the female audience that might think about messing with their boyfriend.

We were typical teenagers, you know, screaming and going crazy. We'd be singing along and dancing and clapping and just totally excited, because you probably had worn the grooves off of that 45 and played it so many times. It was just like having that record come alive. It became real to you, and it was magical. You hung on to that memory when you went home and put that 45 on again.

We only performed there once. We had a local hit called "Bless You" at that time. We had these black pantsuits that had fringe on the arm. Joe Simon was the headliner. It was amazing. We felt like we were living our dream. We just got very lucky. The Howard was going downhill. There weren't many acts coming through there like it had been. We were just very grateful that we could say we got the opportunity to perform at the Howard, because it's an iconic place. That was an indelible moment for us.

We had no idea that that would be the last show there. I don't think anybody really knew. Our name and that particular show stayed on the marquee for years, I understand. It was closed down and boarded up, but they just hadn't taken the marquee down.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!