Losing 45`s In The Post

i sent it first class..thats all the guy paid for but after only 2/3 days he was asking me for a tracking/spedition number which i thought was odd and that i thought you only got with signed for but now he`s on about making a claim and its been 19 days since i posted it. is that a bit too soon ....does it smell fishy.

Social source share

Guest micksoul

Happened to me last year when they lost an Ernie Marbray that i sold on ebay , i sent it signed for but the post office wouldent compensate me , i refunded the guy as didnt want any bad feeling but i was well p***ed off

Social source share

Happened to me via ebay, 'lost' 45 to France (Paris). Obviously ebay won't compensate the seller and always find in buyers favour.

I claimed off the Royal Mail in December and got refunded by them in January. they'll pay up as long as you got reciept and proof of the price it sold for.

Social source share

Quite a few from the States have a Tracking Number on my ebay checkout.

Not sure if this applies once it leaves the U.S.A. as none say delivered, even though it has arrived at my address.

International Signed for is a Signature but as far as I'm aware tracked within our shores and then depending on Country all you get is the signature.

If it goes missing ? (Only Tracked in certain Countries)

AIRSURE is the one I have used for Expensive Items. Strange thing is there's No Signature, but does have confirmation of Delivery.

On a normal Item Proof of Posting is the one I use.

Social source share

looks like i could be on a hiding to nothing on this one..usually i do send them recorded if over a certain amount and registered if 100`s.. this was £100 and the guy has only 1 post on here...his post on my thread. i was caught on the hop and went off to work ..and the missus posted it for me and i had a bad feeling the moment she posted it :facepalm: and thought..shoulda sent that international signed for..looks like my gut feeling has turned reality...he`s a bit quick wanting a refund imo tho

• Helpful 1
Social source share

looks like i could be on a hiding to nothing on this one..usually i do send them recorded if over a certain amount and registered if 100`s.. this was £100 and the guy has only 1 post on here...his post on my thread. i was caught on the hop and went off to work ..and the missus posted it for me and i had a bad feeling the moment she posted it :facepalm: and thought..shoulda sent that international signed for..looks like my gut feeling has turned reality...he`s a bit quick wanting a refund imo tho

If he's asking where it is after 2/3 days that suggests to me that you're onto a loser here Dave, he absolutely knows that he won't receive it in 3 days.

Social source share

In the worst case scenario, ie that you have to claim, claim from Royal Mail then tell the buyer that you can only refund them once Royal Mail have refunded you. I'd only refund the actual amount you get back from Royal Mail. They have a couple of tables on their website giving details. Sadly,if the buyer is unreasonable,and claims through paypal,you will most likely get stung.

Best,

Martin

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

Hi Dave. Are you sure you sent to the right address? A few years ago I sold a 45 to a bloke in Berlin. I sent it to the address he gave me and was surprised to hear, after 7 days, that it has not arrived. Acting on a hunch I decided to use Google maps to check out where the guy lived. Turned out the address did not exist. He had given me an address in North Berlin and a postcode in South Berlin.In the end it turned out that the postcode was correct and German post finally tracked him down and delivered the record 3 weeks after I had posted it.

Good luck with the outcome.

Dave

Social source share

There is obviously good reason why sellers say No Italian Buyers / Will not post to Italy

Lost 2, one Paris,France and the other Italy. Now I've found, in my admittedly very limited experience, you just have to make them pay Airsure/International Signed For. That sorts the chancers. Sold one recently on ebay to an Italian bidder and the buyer was happy to pay approx £10 for International Signed For.....even left me 5 stars! I should add I quoted a tenner but was actually able to refund the guy a portion of that as it was a bit cheaper.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Lost 2, one Paris,France and the other Italy. Now I've found, in my admittedly very limited experience, you just have to make them pay Airsure/International Signed For. That sorts the chancers. Sold one recently on ebay to an Italian bidder and the buyer was happy to pay approx £10 for International Signed For.....even left me 5 stars! I should add I quoted a tenner but was actually able to refund the guy a portion of that as it was a bit cheaper.

I should have added France as sellers usually do say Italy/France
Social source share

Also Dave if I were you I would try and find out a bit more about your buyer, he may have a history of doing this. Remember when that bloke ripped me off with that triumphs demo? Within 2 hours over 3000 people knew about it via here, Facebook, mailing lists.

Social source share

Ive sent stuff in the past to Babs Grazzi and it did take 3 weeks to get there.

I lost one last year to the Us - had a thread on here about it

Ive emailed the guy several times without any reply which shows the guy ripped me off full stop. Just a warning again to anyone -Chandresh Mittal is his name and he is knightrider888 on ebay

Hope you get it sorted Dave

Social source share

i sent him a mail asking him not to open a dispute with paypal today.. if he`s geniune he may leave it a week or two and see what happens as theres still time for it to arrive.... but if its someone just out for a mugging i`m on a hiding. thanks for all the words of support guys..makes me feel better if even if i`m gonna be down £100 that i cant afford to be

Social source share

Hi Dave posted over 600 now never a problem posting to uk all probs start abroad especially usa its not our postal service its shit foreign postal services there is an internal problem between the usa postal service and usa customs takes an age to get there 8 weeks can you believe. by that time people are claiming their money back on the ebay 45 day claim rule, Italy is also shit dont know why takes an age to deliver there. lots of people wont post abroard waggy

Social source share

I bought a buy it now 45 mid-January only 20 miles up the road in Dagenham. Never received, but talking to people I am starting to think he got a better offer after I won it.

It was only £8 but doesn't turn up on 45 much. It's the first that had come up in a year. I reckon he got a message after offering more.

The seller said 3 packages from that batch had gone missing, however, doesn't add up that of probably 50 recprds I have ordered this year from all over that one goes missing. Annoying, seller also seemed to refund me all to readily

Social source share

I've heard many stories of records going mission in Italy to the point where many will not even post there now and other only posting with full tracking and signed for all the way. The same for France as well.

I've heard that the french post is good and the "lost" packages are mostly chargeback scammers. I've heard that italy post is not that great.

My only piece of advice here (not that it would help necessarily) is to try to use paypal's phone support, as they may be more helpful or more able to do things like search the user's account for a history of chargebacks, etc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've heard that the french post is good and the "lost" packages are mostly chargeback scammers.

You're right, Bob. In more than 20 years I've only had one "lost" parcel, and that was during a long strike period.

But a lot of dishonest people can claim that they didn't get their parcel, it's PayPal weakness (for the sellers).

Social source share

I remember doing this with a parcel to Belgium..payed 1st class....got home thought that was a mistake...went back to the postie where they kindly spent 20 minutes rumaging to find the parcel...then paid the difference for insured and signed for.

Got caught twice with the same person in Paris..record "not arriving"

Always send now recorded and insured...even if I have to make up the difference..

Social source share

AIRSURE is the one I have used for Expensive Items. Strange thing is there's No Signature, but does have confirmation of Delivery.

When I have 45s sent to me registered from the UK to Sweden I always ask the sender NOT to send it by "airsure". As you wrote, "airsure" doesn't require a signature when delivered, the package is simply slipped through the mailbox just like an ordinary non-registered package. I fail to see how the seller can prove that the package has been delivered when using "airsure". They might be compensated by Royal Mail if the package goes amiss, I don't know, but from a buyers perspective who wants to recieve the 45 rather than getting a refund it's a crap piece of service and not worth paying extra for.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

the amount of packages send around the globe or just inbetween one country must have trippled if not more over the last five to ten years. mostly because of the increased amount of online dealings. this plus the fact that most postal services these days hire low-paid and un-trained people generates the ever increasing amount of problems...namely parcels (and letters) going missing. love it or hate it, its part of the deal it seems. me I hate it LOL

Marc (currently still waiting for a parcel send from new jersey in january..)

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

When I have 45s sent to me registered from the UK to Sweden I always ask the sender NOT to send it by "airsure". As you wrote, "airsure" doesn't require a signature when delivered, the package is simply slipped through the mailbox just like an ordinary non-registered package. I fail to see how the seller can prove that the package has been delivered when using "airsure". They might be compensated by Royal Mail if the package goes amiss, I don't know, but from a buyers perspective who wants to recieve the 45 rather than getting a refund it's a crap piece of service and not worth paying extra for.

Delivery is confirmed because it has to be scanned as delivered by the post person, that's why it's only available to countries that have the facilities to track item through network, the final scan confirms delivery to address. I've never had any problems with airsure as it is the safest, most secured and tracked method royal mail provide for international items. International signed for is only tracked as far as the airport, down to the recieving countries postal service to provide confirmation of receipt at end address, which is patchy to say the least.

As i'm sure people are aware, you are never asked for ID on the doorstep in the UK, reason being is the contract is for delivery to address not to an individual.Not sure how it sit's with other countries but would imagine the same for all with a USO as they are moulded on Royal Mail.

Social source share

Delivery is confirmed because it has to be scanned as delivered by the post person, that's why it's only available to countries that have the facilities to track item through network, the final scan confirms delivery to address.

Which means that you have to trust the postie 100%. All I know is that airsure packages delivered to Sweden are delivered with the regular post, it is NOT scanned by the postie before it is slipped through the mailbox.

As i'm sure people are aware, you are never asked for ID on the doorstep in the UK, reason being is the contract is for delivery to address not to an individual.Not sure how it sit's with other countries but would imagine the same for all with a USO as they are moulded on Royal Mail.

To pick up packages sent registered to Sweden (at your doorstep or at the post office, not including airsure though) you have to show your ID.

Actually if the name on the package and the name on the ID doesn't match the package will be returned to sender and I'm not allowed to collect it. Has happened a couple of times to me when the package has been mailed to "S. Fonzeus" or "Mr. Fonzeus" instead of "Sebastian Fonzeus". The reasoning being that someone else on that same address MIGHT have the same lastname as me but a different first name beginning with the same letter as mine. Splitting hairs I know, but it has happened at least 3 times to me. Was NOT happy when I left the post office those times... ranting_1.gif

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Which means that you have to trust the postie 100%. All I know is that airsure packages delivered to Sweden are delivered with the regular post, it is NOT scanned by the postie before it is slipped through the mailbox.

To pick up packages sent registered to Sweden (at your doorstep or at the post office, not including airsure though) you have to show your ID.

Actually if the name on the package and the name on the ID doesn't match the package will be returned to sender and I'm not allowed to collect it. Has happened a couple of times to me when the package has been mailed to "S. Fonzeus" or "Mr. Fonzeus" instead of "Sebastian Fonzeus". The reasoning being that someone else on that same address MIGHT have the same lastname as me but a different first name beginning with the same letter as mine. Splitting hairs I know, but it has happened at least 3 times to me. Was NOT happy when I left the post office those times... ranting_1.gif

Sounds like your postal workers have too much time on their hands Sebastian to have to go through that rigor, like i said before in the UK it's address and postcode, the only time you need to provide ID in the UK is if you have to collect an item from the local sorting office.

In the UK we have a new product available to Business customers called tracked and next day tracked, this will eventually see the end of special delivery, as the product suggests, item is tracked throughout whole process even to the point of it leaving the delivery office, if an item is deemed lost easy to pinpoint where.

Social source share

I always wonder about stuff that goes missing, when reading about the odd postie who hasn't delivered the mail, but just hid it in their attic or garages. The affect that some of that missing post may have had on people, offers of employment or unable to obtain services due to expiry of offers, or in our own (sad)cases missing records!

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

I always wonder about stuff that goes missing, when reading about the odd postie who hasn't delivered the mail, but just hid it in their attic or garages. The affect that some of that missing post may have had on people, offers of employment or unable to obtain services due to expiry of offers, or in our own (sad)cases missing records!

And the effect it has on the Post Person who gets caught, they do bird for it. which is why cases are few and far between, We know it's just not worth it. There will always be the odd idiot but 99.9% of postal workers are hard working honest people , there is 180,000 of us

But i suppose the same can be applied to any job that provides a service.

Social source share

the amount of packages send around the globe or just inbetween one country must have trippled if not more over the last five to ten years. mostly because of the increased amount of online dealings. this plus the fact that most postal services these days hire low-paid and un-trained people generates the ever increasing amount of problems...namely parcels (and letters) going missing. love it or hate it, its part of the deal it seems. me I hate it LOL

Marc (currently still waiting for a parcel send from new jersey in january..)

Futhermore the lines of transport are getting more complicated by "special" services. Had a few problems with the fact that the royal post doesn´t work together with Deutsche Post/DHL for registrated mailings (any more?). I dont know why (probably because of the money) the royal post cooperates with GLS in germany, what i didn´t know. Problem was that i wanted the postage to get delivered at my Box in a Package Station, which only can get delivered by the german Post. So GLS left my 45 at the stock without giving any information about that to me nor to the sender. After several phonecalls with the hotlines of geman services i found out that they cannot have my package. By a "shot to nothing" i did hit the right line at gls. They sent it back to seller wich took further three weeks. so now after two months the package is back there where it came from....

Social source share

i sent him a mail asking him not to open a dispute with paypal today.. if he`s geniune he may leave it a week or two and see what happens as theres still time for it to arrive.... but if its someone just out for a mugging i`m on a hiding. thanks for all the words of support guys..makes me feel better if even if i`m gonna be down £100 that i cant afford to be

Just a thought, but if it was a sale on here then the buyer usually pays "paypal as a gift". In such a case maybe he won't find it straight forward to claim through paypal from you. I think there was some mention of the risks involved in the "gift" payment method in another thread. If this is the case, and I'm not sure myself, then any refund could in fact be at your discretion.

If you end up refunding the guy then you should still get the max £46 back from Royal Mail I imagine.

Social source share

Futhermore the lines of transport are getting more complicated by "special" services. Had a few problems with the fact that the royal post doesn´t work together with Deutsche Post/DHL for registrated mailings (any more?). I dont know why (probably because of the money) the royal post cooperates with GLS in germany, what i didn´t know. Problem was that i wanted the postage to get delivered at my Box in a Package Station, which only can get delivered by the german Post. So GLS left my 45 at the stock without giving any information about that to me nor to the sender. After several phonecalls with the hotlines of geman services i found out that they cannot have my package. By a "shot to nothing" i did hit the right line at gls. They sent it back to seller wich took further three weeks. so now after two months the package is back there where it came from....

yes, noticed that myself recently. since a two or three months...posibly start of the year they have switched to gls as their new partner. your story reads like a nightmare..I would have gone crazy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Delivery is confirmed because it has to be scanned as delivered by the post person, that's why it's only available to countries that have the facilities to track item through network, the final scan confirms delivery to address. I've never had any problems with airsure as it is the safest, most secured and tracked method royal mail provide for international items. International signed for is only tracked as far as the airport, down to the recieving countries postal service to provide confirmation of receipt at end address, which is patchy to say the least.

At the risk of jinxing myself, International Signed For to Italy does seem to work on the occasions I've used it. I've been able to track my parcel on the Royal Mail site which even shows a signature from the recipient on delivery. Last one I sent seemed to take a while so it gave me a bit of confidence to check & contact the buyer that their record was in Milan (according to the tracking info) so they should get their record shortly.....it did arrive.

Social source share

Thanks for that Information Sebastian. Our Local Post Office suggested that Airsure is more secure.

Nice to have another viewpoint.

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Gotta do my first ever claim for a missing item via Ebay after years of successful purchases.....

Paid $218 for the record, a further £20 for postage (seller claimed this was his only option via DHL) but it then turns out that my record was being sent from Jamaica even though the ad stated the item was in the US. 6 weeks later...nothing still. Claimed it was sent signed for via Jamaica Post but the tracking number given doesn't exist :(

His answer to all my messages recently....."Just chill, It'll arrive...One Love" Sod the love....where's the effin record!!!

Just don't want my postie getting the blame because He's fab!!

Social source share

yes, noticed that myself recently. since a two or three months...posibly start of the year they have switched to gls as their new partner. your story reads like a nightmare..I would have gone crazy.

Horrible. Till last thursday it was sure to me that i spent a lot of money for nothing, but then the good news came in that it arrived the seller safety. Decided to let deliver at my homeadress only in the future.

I know that there are folks who ever choose normal postage, without registrate it, no matter how much the 45 is worth. In the beginning i thought they were nuts, but I had problems two times till now and in both cases the parcel went on its journey as registrated from GB. In this case i was lucky but in another case the seller lost the number of the parcel and so a Lenny McDaniel (Seven B) got lost in the space of global transport :facepalm: .

Social source share

I actually think the normal post from the US (and in the UK) is the safest way to get records as they are not flagged up as expensive so don't get nicked. A bit like the diamond merchants who just use the ordinary post in the UK, packages that are not flagged up as high value never seem to go missing.

I always send things to Europe using international signed for with appropriate insurance as there have been too many tales of people claiming that their records haven't arrived.

Social source share

Happened to me last year when they lost an Ernie Marbray that i sold on ebay , i sent it signed for but the post office wouldent compensate me , i refunded the guy as didnt want any bad feeling but i was well p***ed off

As you sent it 'Signedfor', I take it that was within the UK?

So what was the reason given for not compensating you?

Social source share

But Sebastian was correct when he said that the 'International Signedfor' system strangely only tracks to our shoreline. After that it's taken over by the country of intended destination. So, if a record goes missing, or turns up damaged, who does the sender claim from? Is it the Royal Mail or the postal service of the country it was sent to?

I mean, do the Royal Mail compensate you then take up the matter with the postal service of the destination country? Or do they tell you it's not their problem after it left our shores? Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Has anybody got a definitive answer to this quandary?

Social source share

I actually think the normal post from the US (and in the UK) is the safest way to get records as they are not flagged up as expensive so don't get nicked. A bit like the diamond merchants who just use the ordinary post in the UK, packages that are not flagged up as high value never seem to go missing.

I always send things to Europe using international signed for with appropriate insurance as there have been too many tales of people claiming that their records haven't arrived.

Yeah, this always pisses me off. Why the hell do they insist on putting the value of the contents of the package on the outside for all to see. It's like a big advert telling everybody, HEY, LOOK AT ME, MY CONTENTS ARE WORTH £XXX AMOUNT OF MONEY, WHY DON'T YOU STEAL ME!!! :dash2:ranting_1.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah, this always pisses me off. Why the hell do they insist on putting the value of the contents of the package on the outside for all to see. It's like a big advert telling everybody, HEY, LOOK AT ME, MY CONTENTS ARE WORTH £XXX AMOUNT OF MONEY, WHY DON'T YOU STEAL ME!!! :dash2:ranting_1.gif

yes and if you actually receive your record the tax people then steal from you

Social source share

But Sebastian was correct when he said that the 'International Signedfor' system strangely only tracks to our shoreline. After that it's taken over by the country of intended destination. So, if a record goes missing, or turns up damaged, who does the sender claim from? Is it the Royal Mail or the postal service of the country it was sent to?

lots of times it continues to be tracked, just at the destination country's website. Thats what happens when you ship signed-for to the US. Once it enters the US you can check the tracking number on the usps website.

re: buying from jamaica ... I don't collect reggae like some people here probably do, but I recently bought from jamaica about 3 times and haven't had any problems yet. It did have a wide variety of shipping charges and a wide variety of shipping times, and some of the packages were pretty thin, but everything got here so far.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!