80's Nighter In Stoke

Guest RobCroskell

Guest RobCroskell

hi,

Back in march/april 1988 me and 3 mates were in the wulfrun hall soul night in wolverhampton, and decided on the spare of the moment to go to nighter in stoke...

now, i'm not from the midlands (donny lad) and i ain't been to this place before or since.

and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the nighter, i'm even beginning to doubt it was in stoke!! all i remember it had a night clubby type feel with two rooms and the room we were in(probably oldies - as the only record i recall is lee bate - why don't you write) had a smallish oval shaped dance floor.

I asked my wolvo mate, and he's as much use as a chocolate fire guard, i think we may have over indulged on the night in question!!

anyway any help would be much appreciated.

ta.

Edited by RobCroskell
Social source share

Guest RobCroskell

cheers everyone, chalkys description is to a tee, i always thought maybe it was trentham gardens, but that never felt right, but princess suite rings a few bells..cheers

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Went several times to a great nighter at Longton Miners Welfare outside Stoke. This was run by Neil Clowse and gang, who then moved to the fantastic , now legendary , Keele University after the management of the Welfare kept moaning about low takings at the bar, paying staff to be there all night etc... Think there was a "LOCAL residents " complaint or two via !!!! ---- Guess who ???? Stoke Police Force !!!!

THANK GOD really , i did enjoy the niters there, but what a place Keele became through the late @80@s , 90's etc....

Also went from Wulfrun Hall to the niter with my late friend Steve Wilkes from Dudley. Happy Days !!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hi,

Back in march/april 1988 me and 3 mates were in the wulfrun hall soul night in wolverhampton, and decided on the spare of the moment to go to nighter in stoke...

now, i'm not from the midlands (donny lad) and i ain't been to this place before or since.

and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the nighter, i'm even beginning to doubt it was in stoke!! all i remember it had a night clubby type feel with two rooms and the room we were in(probably oldies - as the only record i recall is lee bate - why don't you write) had a smallish oval shaped dance floor.

I asked my wolvo mate, and he's as much use as a chocolate fire guard, i think we may have over indulged on the night in question!!

anyway any help would be much appreciated.

ta.

Social source share

Just re-read your original post, the niter with the oval dancefloor was at the former Jollees nightclub , we went there once, it was one time too many !!! I remember Oz from Brighouse getting into a punch up that night.

Social source share

Read the thread topic and thought for a mo that someone was starting a nighter playing just 80's :D. Sorry I've not helped with original Q but did make me look / wonder. Good luck with your quest.

There was one earlier c 84 I think. It wasn't just 80s it's just that most of the DJs were playing modern (Keb, Mannion, Sam etc).

Think rushbrooke was also on. It was up the hill from Stoke town centre going towards Newcastle UL. About 20 mins from the station....

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

There was one earlier c 84 I think. It wasn't just 80s it's just that most of the DJs were playing modern (Keb, Mannion, Sam etc).

Think rushbrooke was also on. It was up the hill from Stoke town centre going towards Newcastle UL. About 20 mins from the station....

That's "Queens" Basford me thinks yooth :thumbsup:

Social source share

Keith Minshull ran it - went there two or three times (with Kenny Sway/Geeslad and/or Vince Ayers I seem to remember) - one occasion was Keith's birthday bash.

Dx

hi Dave, happy days indeed, bout time you were out and about again?

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Went several times to a great nighter at Longton Miners Welfare outside Stoke. This was run by Neil Clowse and gang, who then moved to the fantastic , now legendary , Keele University after the management of the Welfare kept moaning about low takings at the bar, paying staff to be there all night etc... Think there was a "LOCAL residents " complaint or two via !!!! ---- Guess who ???? Stoke Police Force !!!!

THANK GOD really , i did enjoy the niters there, but what a place Keele became through the late @80@s , 90's etc....

Also went from Wulfrun Hall to the niter with my late friend Steve Wilkes from Dudley. Happy Days !!!

Sounda Like the Florence Club

N x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!