Records That Go On & On & On

Been listening to some 70s cds in the car lately for a change (mainly a 60s person)

I started to wonder why the trend towards longer record times came about, what were the writers thinking and why change? Irrespective of your taste and whether you like these records or not some of them go on for so long and are so repetitive, doesn't it do your head in after a bit?

So what I'm asking really is even if you like the 70s records doesn't it get on your nerves after 4 mins or so?

Give me 2mins 30secs, wham bang thank you ma'am any time!

Disclaimer:- this thread is not intended as another 60s v 70s debate, any move in that direction will be due to individual posters and the thread starter will accept no responsibility for any such circumstances arisng :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Citations - Keep The Faith

Bobby Lester - Hang Up Your Hang Ups

Both records I own, play out, and love, but they do go on a bit.....

As for 12" mixes of later stuff, i do love some of them, Drizabone - Pressure etc. But as I have DJ'd at Old Skool House/Rave events, & 70s/80s Disco events it's not really surprising, and a lot of them give you time to nip to the loo!

:yes:

Social source share

Citations - Keep The Faith

Bobby Lester - Hang Up Your Hang Ups

Both records I own, play out, and love, but they do go on a bit.....

As for 12" mixes of later stuff, i do love some of them, Drizabone - Pressure etc. But as I have DJ'd at Old Skool House/Rave events, & 70s/80s Disco events it's not really surprising, and a lot of them give you time to nip to the loo!

Nip to the loo??

Chuff me, some of 'em gave you time to nip for a Curry.

Having said that,was rather fond of some of 'em T-connection for example, 4 minutes or so of percussion before it even got going.

Now that I am a little older though, attention span has shortened to where even 2.30 is a strain :lol:

ATB

tony

Social source share

Most records longer than 3 and a half minutes annoy me. Once you've heard the chorus twice or at most three times - what's the point ? After that you're getting into Hey Jude territory zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Most records longer than 3 and a half minutes annoy me. Once you've heard the chorus twice or at most three times - what's the point ? After that you're getting into Hey Jude territory zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

not just me then.... bloody awful record!

i hear what ya saying. lots of late 70's 12" singles went on n on. Aint no stoppin us now , Boogie wonderland etc etc.time to put the kettle on

Social source share

There are actually some seventies / eighties that do admittedly go on forever but kinda work - eg loveman ronnie stokes, Terry callier (I don't want to see myself) etc. Infectious rhythms / interesting middle breaks and all that I suppose...

Edited by mark w.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Sharon H

I think there are many tracks that just go on far too long , give me quality over quantity anytime .....charles sheffield ,voodoo working .......best 1min 46 seconds ive had in ages :wicked::lol:

Social source share

I think there are many tracks that just go on far too long , give me quality over quantity anytime .....charles sheffield ,voodoo working .......best 1min 46 seconds ive had in ages :wicked::lol:

Bit overplayed nowadays Shazz , Give me the 12" version of Terry callier any day of the week :thumbsup: and watch me strut my booty to that bugger :lol::lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Sharon H

Bit overplayed nowadays Shazz , Give me the 12" version of Terry callier any day of the week :thumbsup: and watch me strut my booty to that bugger :lol::lol:

I dont mind though Julie , its short enough not to tire of IMO :D .....we both goin to be strutting our bootys on Sat hun :thumbup: ..x

Social source share

utter balony julie...its a great tune...plus the fact you sit down for the last 5 minutes of terry callier huffing and puffing lololol

Social source share

now that shazz...do i forgive you or not? x

Social source share

Guest Sharon H

now that shazz...do i forgive you or not? x

if you know whats good for you , you will :yes: ...x

Edited by Sharon H
Social source share

if you know whats good for you , you will :yes: ...x

in that case...i forgive you.....dont wanna feel your right hook and left jab again in a hurry x

Social source share

utter balony julie...its a great tune...plus the fact you sit down for the last 5 minutes of terry callier huffing and puffing lololol

Moldie, wind your neck in mate :D i did`nt say it was a S**te record i said it was overplayed a bit nowadays :thumbsup: and ive never sat down to Terry callier before the end :ohmy: I admit to collapsing in a heap once its finished :yes: but then again I am in the over 50`s club :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest daz mycroft

Hey,i've got a tune on a 14".....well it seems like a 14"... :lol:

is it really 14" or have you just put wood glue all over it :lol:
Social source share

Moldie, wind your neck in mate :D i did`nt say it was a S**te record i said it was overplayed a bit nowadays :thumbsup: and ive never sat down to Terry callier before the end :ohmy: I admit to collapsing in a heap once its finished :yes: but then again I am in the over 50`s club :thumbup:

dear miss moore....im almost in the over fifties club and i dont collapse in a heap lolololol

i knew you would like julies post shazz lololol x

Social source share

Guest daz mycroft

totally agree that some 70s 12" can seem boring. But the point is that they were mainly produced for Djs to mix and Match ie Breaks ,intros, vocal , endings. .etc etc. :thumbsup:

Social source share

hey mick , just my opinion but terry callier - dont wanna see myself, is very" northern " just will take 15 years for all to realise it :wicked::D :D

its 20 yrs old now mate lol ......nice tune (zzzzzzz beginning) but Gospel soul to me :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Sharon H

dear miss moore....im almost in the over fifties club and i dont collapse in a heap lolololol

i knew you would like julies post shazz lololol x

lololol....thats because me and Julie are in the same club , we have to stick together :yes: ...lol x

Social source share

lololol....thats because me and Julie are in the same club , we have to stick together :yes: ...lol x

so how do i become a member?...is there a test i have to pass? lolol x

Social source share

Guest Sharon H

so how do i become a member?...is there a test i have to pass? lolol x

you will automatically become in a member in november , you have already passed the test ......youre as mad as a hatter and of an age where you just dont care :thumbup: ......lolol x

Edited by Sharon H
Social source share

you will automatically become in a member in november , you have already passed the test ......youre as mad as a hatter and of an age where you just dont care :thumbup: ......lolol x

can i see the unedited version plz? lololol x

Social source share

Guest soul elite

I'm guessing I belong to 'that' club too.... Its all good!! xI think alot of 70's stuff goes on far too long or is it because its sooo repetitive?

Social source share

I'm guessing I belong to 'that' club too.... Its all good!! xI think alot of 70's stuff goes on far too long or is it because its sooo repetitive?

dear katrina

im sorry but you have another decade to wait before your eligible for THAT club

maybe the tunes you heard were scratched and kept playing the same bit over and over again x

Social source share

Guest soul elite

Oh yes on my gramaphone you mean ...?? 70's just sounds jingly,tinny and basically just disco crud!!

But I still love you Moldie..... 8^)  X

Social source share

Picked up a couple dozen records from local charity shop this morning (including Bobby Womack Poet II LP for 50p :thumbsup: ) and made me laugh + recall seeing this thread when I got home and played some just now:

McFadden & Whitehead - Aint no stoppin' us now (PIR 13 7365) a WHOPPING 10 MINS 45 SECS :D

Made me laugh on the flip too as I reckon it's the longest run-in I've ever seen on a record. Got to be a whole inch of it until you get to "I got the love" (which is a mere 3 mins 32 secs...and I think quite a good track actually).

...Still, at 25p for this near mint 12' and a good dozen more like it, I'm not complaining :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!