Tearra - Just Loving You - Omg

Guest Brian Ellis

Guest Brian Ellis

Spotted this up on eBay and kept tabs on it. Price had hardly moved and was thinking, if I could get it reasonably cheaply, of bidding as the copy looked in a bit better shape than mine.

Price crept up very quickly in the last hour to $659. Suddenly at the last minute shot up to and sold at $2,550.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

If you study the bidding someone came in with a last minute $2,500 bid which pushed up the final high bidder to the $2,550 mark (an over-the-top figure they might have put in initially to guarantee beating the $659 bid). Has someone been caught cold (as I would rate the maximum value of this around £500-£600) or is there something a bit fishy here? laugh.gif

Brian

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest sigher the gutter snype

MMM...DONT KNOW IF THATS FISHY

MORNING WARBLER IS THE FUNK COLLECTOR DANTE CARFANGA I THINK

I GAVE THE 45 A LISTEN ON RAREST OF THE RARE THINKING I MAY HAVE A GO

IF I LIKE IT.

THOUGHT IT WAS OK,NOT EVEN WORTH £500

NOT A BAD TUNE BUT NOT A $2000 BUCK RECORD

Social source share

Spotted this up on eBay and kept tabs on it. Price had hardly moved and was thinking, if I could get it reasonably cheaply, of bidding as the copy looked in a bit better shape than mine.

Price crept up very quickly in the last hour to $659. Suddenly at the last minute shot up to and sold at $2,550.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

If you study the bidding someone came in with a last minute $2,500 bid which pushed up the final high bidder to the $2,550 mark (an over-the-top figure they might have put in initially to guarantee beating the $659 bid). Has someone been caught cold (as I would rate the maximum value of this around £500-£600) or is there something a bit fishy here? :lol:

Brian

Hi Brian

Gotta say, IMHO I think this is a wonderful example of the perils of sniping............. You can put money on it, that bidder 'A' has thought, putting $2,500 would surely win it, but hold on, bidder 'B' has thought the same and gone in with their bid at $2500plus, neither will have known because the bids were, as you say last minute (and the auction high bid at 600 plus dollars which was about right). Then 'hey presto', one VERY overpriced record and I suspect one VERY relieved under-bidder.

Makes my bid look paltry by comparison, I wonder if the seller will get paid!!!!!

Social source share

WAS A BIT SURPRISED WHEN WITH TEN SECONDS TO GO I BID WHAT I THOUGHT WOULD BE A DEFO WINNER BID

ONLY TO BE TOLD TO WISE UP AND BID MORE THAN $2600.??

WHAT THE FCUK IS THIS SCENE DOING TO ITSELF AND COMMING TO?

PISSED OFF BIGTIME

Increasingly I ask myself the same thing.

I don't want to question anyone's taste in music, but this leaves me cold. It's pedestrian in every sense, non commital vocals with no passion, mundane lyrics and an off the peg backing track. But hey! it's super rare so it must be the best thing since sliced bread. If this was a £20 record no-one would give it the time of day.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I don't want to question anyone's taste in music, but this leaves me cold. It's pedestrian in every sense, non commital vocals with no passion, mundane lyrics and an off the peg backing track. But hey! it's super rare so it must be the best thing since sliced bread. If this was a £20 record no-one would give it the time of day.

I disagree

Social source share

I cannot disagree more, each to thier own & all that, but this is bloody marvelous............what the hell has rareity got to do with it any way, I dont care how rare or not it is, its a blinding record, full stop.

Russ

Social source share

I disagree also , to me it has absolutly everything right about it .

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

If this was a £20 record no-one would give it the time of day.

If it was a £20 record you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the queue. This is an absolutely fantastic record.

Brian

Social source share

I cannot disagree more, each to thier own & all that, but this is bloody marvelous............what the hell has rareity got to do with it any way, I dont care how rare or not it is, its a blinding record, full stop.

Russ

My apologies Russ, I was naive to think that sometimes the Rare Soul scene cares more about things like rarity, exclusivity and oneupmanship over the soulful content of the music. What was I thinking?

Obviously on this scene no-one ever pays inflated sums for records on the grounds of scarcity, no-one ever "covers up" the true identity of records in case others might find it and have the temerity to play it as well, and of course the scene has never been violated by records that are basically substandard trash pop on the grounds that they're virtually impossible to find.

On a more positive note, I've just won a copy of Freddie Hughes' - I Just Found Out on Janus for a lot less than I was willing to pay for it. Compare and contrast the vocal performances, songwriting and musicianship on the two and work out which one costs £20 and which one costs £1500.

Social source share

My apologies Russ, I was naive to think that sometimes the Rare Soul scene cares more about things like rarity, exclusivity and oneupmanship over the soulful content of the music. What was I thinking?

Obviously on this scene no-one ever pays inflated sums for records on the grounds of scarcity, no-one ever "covers up" the true identity of records in case others might find it and have the temerity to play it as well, and of course the scene has never been violated by records that are basically substandard trash pop on the grounds that they're virtually impossible to find.

A man after me own heart!! smile.gif:lol:

On a more positive note, I've just won a copy of Freddie Hughes' - I Just Found Out on Janus for a lot less than I was willing to pay for it. Compare and contrast the vocal performances, songwriting and musicianship on the two and work out which one costs £20 and which one costs £1500.

Personally I think both tunes are fantastic in their own way. biggrin.gif

Roger

Social source share

WAS A BIT SURPRISED WHEN WITH TEN SECONDS TO GO I BID WHAT I THOUGHT WOULD BE A DEFO WINNER BID

ONLY TO BE TOLD TO WISE UP AND BID MORE THAN $2600.??

WHAT THE FCUK IS THIS SCENE DOING TO ITSELF AND COMMING TO?

PISSED OFF BIGTIME

Did exactly the same Richie, went in at double the guide price for a sure win only to be told I needed to double that :thumbsup:

Social source share

Gnasher - Makes my bid look paltry by comparison, I wonder if the seller will get paid!!!!!

I'm a bit of an e-bay thicky.

Assume if seller doesn't get paid prospective purchaser will get neg. feed back.

As 3 parties, can we find out?

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

I still like it. I also like FH & have had it & played it for years..........I like Soul records, I also like NS, I also like Modern & Crossover records, I like & encourage cover ups & if a record turns out to be rare & I own it, I like that too. Its all part of that rich tapestry we call NS.

Not that bothered about song writing or musicianship altho' , it helps & I applaud these qualities, some times tho' its the amateurish qualities that endear the records to me, its more about wether a record moves me, & has that certain something, cant explain it, but we all know what it means & a massive production & a classically trained horn section :thumbsup: (does this exist ???) doesnt always do the trick.

Im pleased you managed to get your FH for a good price tho', give ya self a big pat on the back.

Russ

Social source share

Thought my question was reasonable I'm a bit pissed off by your reply.

I may be mistaken but I beleive we are both booked on the boat trip Sun 18.12.05

Looking forward to meeting you.

The reply was meant to be cheery - as indicated by the smiley. Sorry if it offended.

Not on the boat trip either.

Girf

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I still like it. I also like FH & have had it & played it for years..........I like Soul records, I also like NS, I also like Modern & Crossover records, I like & encourage cover ups & if a record turns out to be rare & I own it, I like that too. Its all part of that rich tapestry we call NS.

Not that bothered about song writing or musicianship altho' , it helps & I applaud these qualities, some times tho' its the amateurish qualities that endear the records to me, its more about wether a record moves me, & has that certain something, cant explain it, but we all know what it means & a massive production & a classically trained horn section :ohmy: (does this exist ???) doesnt always do the trick.

Im pleased you managed to get your FH for a good price tho', give ya self a big pat on the back.

Russ

Russell me owd fella, me lad, we have the same philosophy methinks and that irresistable urge to extract urine whenever possible :thumbsup:

Social source share

One mans meat another man's poison, as they say. I too love Soul Music of all shades, I guess we agree on that. Never understood cover ups, I regard them as an affectation these days, although I guess 30 years ago they sort of had a point. Not too sure what the point is these days however.

Strangely, I'm not particularly happy when a record I own and like becomes big (and expensive), it sort of takes the gloss off it for me and I tend to lose interest in it, but that's a personal thing, and I don't expect anyone to feel the same!

Not that bothered about song writing or musicianship altho' , it helps & I applaud these qualities, some times tho' its the amateurish qualities that endear the records to me, its more about wether a record moves me, & has that certain something, cant explain it, but we all know what it means & a massive production & a classically trained horn section :thumbsup: (does this exist ???) doesnt always do the trick.

I wholeheartedly agree that the technical qualities of a record mean nothing if it hasn't got that indefinable something, and I too applaud the gifted amateur that gives their all.

One of my favourite records is Shirley Edwards - Dream My Heart on Shrine - the epitome of amateur, but it's an incredibly moving record. She gives it everything she has and rises above the crap production and so-so songwriting to produce something far greater than the sum of its parts. I'd part with a lot to own this, but try persuading someone to give one up!

I'm afraid the Tearra record just doesn't move me in the same way. Again, a personal thing, but I guess that's why the tapestry of the scene is so rich. If everyone liked the same thing, record prices would be even more ridiculous than they currently are.

Russ

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I'll take it to mean that you're happy that a fellow soul fan has found a record that they will enjoy at a reasonable price, in which case a sincere thank you, I hope you have similar luck in obtaining any of your wants (and they don't turn up in quantity once you've pulled the triggersmile.gif).

If, however as "Johnny One Trout" claims above it's "extracting the urine" out of me, I'll be a little disappointed.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert