John Andrews - It´s Just Love....original Version?

Guest Dani Herranz

Guest Dani Herranz

Hi there, looking at the label of British soul classic "It´s just love", by John Andrews, it is credited to Ashford and Simpson, maybe it´s obvious to everyone but I don´t know any previous version from USA...can nayone give some light??

by the way one, and as a matter of coincidence, one of the other British soul classics, Steve Aldo´s "You´re absolutely right" was an Ashford and Simpon (and Armstead) composition as well, though in this case it seems clear he covered the Apollas...

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Dani Herranz

cheers!!! great info...so I wonder how come John Andrews knew the composition originally...a trip to USA??? most probably no one emailed him a MP3 .. :g:

Social source share

cheers!!! great info...so I wonder how come John Andrews knew the composition originally...a trip to USA??? most probably no one emailed him a MP3 .. :g:

No, the publishers would have offered the management the song and they pass it on to the clients. Mick Smith spoke to John Andrews a year or two ago, he'd sold a copy of the record to him I think. Mr Andrews was working as a salesman in Kent I think.

Social source share

Guest Dani Herranz

Cheers Pete, I´m compiling info for an article and all this trivia helps a lot!!! I´ve always loved the record, one of the best intros ever

Social source share

Here you go, this is actually a brilliant podcast I did if I do say so myself!

https://podcast9122525417.podomatic.com/entry/2011-10-24T13_18_52-07_00

UNKNOWN ARTIST - TILL THE END OF TIME /

LITTLE CHARLES & THE SIDEWINDERS - WIN YOUR LOVE /

EDDIE HOLLAND - DAYDREAMER /

THE RONETTES - HERE I SIT /

THE MAJOR'S BAND - INVESTIGATE (BACKING TRACK) /

DIANE LEWIS - YOU AIN'T GOT A CHANCE /

CAROLYN CRAWFORD - I'LL COME RUNNING /

TIMI YURO - SPOIL ME /

BERNARD WILLIAMS & THE BLUE NOTES - IT'S NEEDLESS TO SAY (ALT) /

VAN McCOY - WAIT TIL I GET YOU IN MY ARMS /

CHRIS BARTLEY - I GO OUT OF MY MIND /

DEON JACKSON - SOME DAY THE SUN WILL SHINE /

LITTLE CARL & THE DETROIT HITMEN - THE TINGLE (TAKE 2) /

SHANE MARTIN - I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT /

DAVE HAMILTON BAND - WHAT SHOULD I DO (INST) /

VIVIAN CARROLL - OH YEAH YEAH (LONG INTRO) /

VAL SIMPSON - IT'S JUST LOVE /

DOC'S BAND - TOUCH OF VENUS (INST) /

WENDY ANDREWS - CLOCK ON THE WALL /

BARBARA MERCER - MY DEAR HEART /

MIRWOOD STRINGS - DON'T PRETEND (INST)(NO STRING OVERDUBS) /

UPTOWN STRINGS - COME GO WITH ME (INST) /

KENNY SMITH - OH LORD WHAT'S HAPPENING TO YOUR PEOPLE (REMIX) /

JEAN CARTER - LIKE ONE (ALT) /

UNKNOWN ARTIST - THE RIGHT KIND (VOCAL) /

THE DE LITES - LOVER (ALT)

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.... JOHN ANDREWS - A ROSE GROWING IN THE RUINS - PARLOPHONE R. 5455 A

IT'S JUST LOVE - R. 5455 B. - SIMPSON-ASHFORD - UK RELEASE 20th May 1966

This is one of the top 10 UK Releases that still eludes the keen collector, and it is also one the Records that has never depreciated in price over the years,

It is very hard to put a cash value on this record, as there have only been 2/3 sold in the last 5 years publicly? so my valuation of £400+ may be insulting to some of you, or bang on to others,

Again it is my opinion that both ISSUE & DEMO copies are very rare, the question is it the rarest of the Rare UK Soul on Parlophone Records??. The DEMO is definitely rarer than Jimmy Thomas R.5773 as recent sales on EBay have shown, Also in the rare category of this record (similar price range) are certain BEATLES DEMOS such as "HELP" "HELLO GOODBYE" & above some of the others,??

However the money that BEATLES DEMOS go for does not reflect their true rare value??

As for the ISSUE (stock copy) Jimmy Thomas is much rarer? but to be truthful they seem to be equal, as I have only had 1 copy of it (from SWOZ) many years ago! and it is interesting that I swapped it with Mick Smith for a Mint DEMO??? I think back then the record was hardly known, and the first time that I read about it, was in BEATIN RYTHEM fanzine Editor Publisher & Pete Smith, who speaks with authority about the record and it's lyrics, he rated it above Jimmy Thomas back then? either way it's come along way since then and is now rated above most rare UK only, as for any released copies of the 2 songs by ASHFORD & SIMPSON there is non, and even if another version of "it's just love" dud turn up, there would not the demand for it, like there is for John Andrews?

post-13241-0-59419700-1331688019_thumb.jpost-13241-0-73074100-1331688050_thumb.j CHEER DAVE

Social source share

On the other side of the coin, "I Can't Take No More" by Ted Wilson on Sierra was written by Les Reed and Barry Mason (UK songwriters who wrote for quite a few UK artists, including Engelbert Humperdinck).

Would love to know if an unreleased demo by a British artist of this exists...........anyone?

Social source share

On the other side of the coin, "I Can't Take No More" by Ted Wilson on Sierra was written by Les Reed and Barry Mason (UK songwriters who wrote for quite a few UK artists, including Engelbert Humperdinck).

Would love to know if an unreleased demo by a British artist of this exists...........anyone?

No but there's a fecking awful Austrailian version of the better flip "My Aim is To Please You"!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert