Best Ever British Northern Soul

Dayo

• Replies 124
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Dayo, why have you got a picture of Woody from the bay City Rollers on your avatar?

I was 16, on a coach from Worcester to Va Va. Landslide, Hide nor hair and The Vel vets were the big sounds.

Was Woody the good looking one?! :lol:

Social source share

Always had a soft spot for Lulu's "Leave A Little Love"

Nice version - I'm sure Mouse use'd to give this more than the odd spin at the Wilton 4 or 5 years ago :lol:

Social source share

The Invitations "Picking Up" (UK Jay Boy)

Yes, the Invitations of Skiing In the Snow fame , recorded on their brief sojourn to the UK in the late 60's , absolutely top draw up tempo dancer., amazing that to my knowledge this has never had ANY exposure on rare soul dance floors.

And one of the toughest Jay Boys to find apparently ...

:lol:

Social source share

The Invitations "Picking Up" (UK Jay Boy)

Yes, the Invitations of Skiing In the Snow fame , recorded on their brief sojourn to the UK in the late 60's , absolutely top draw up tempo dancer., amazing that to my knowledge this has never had ANY exposure on rare soul dance floors.

And one of the toughest Jay Boys to find apparently ...

:lol:

You're right. It's not a bad track either. I'm almost certain there's a typo error on the label. On my copy they actually sing "packing up", but the label credits say "picking up"

Were they being booked out as The Drifters on that tour?

That reminds me of another typo. Tami Lynn's I'm gonna run away from you. She actually sings WHY don't I run away from you. Record pressing plant cock up on first press and they just stuck with it.

Social source share

has anyone got a contact phone number for DAVE GREET or e-mail address Please personal message me with details. Also where is Pete Widdowson now adays , Austrailia, Southamton, a contact number for him as well !!!

thanks

Rob Wigley

Rob

Dave Greet - now there's a name from the past. Ringing monster sized bells but I can't recall where I knew him from. I know he deejayed, but was Dave a Midlander?

Colin

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

You cannot possibly be serious. Please enlighten me as to how this is better than Little Anthony?

NOTHING is better than Little Anthony!

I'll post a few MP3's up of some maybe not so well know British things which are ok, obviously a lot will know them but many won't

Social source share

for drawing me into this music in the first place & 'cos nobody's mentioned it, surprisingly, I'd vote for jimmy james 'a man like me'. those stateside demos still look buckin' good.

dusty, aka mary isabel catherine bernadette o'brien, has been mentioned a lot. who said the irish were europe's blacks? the greatest white female r&b/soul artist to leave the shores of the british isles, without a shadow. however, a considerable amount of her 'classic' stuff was recorded in memphis under the aegis of wexler, beckett & dowd. the more poppy 'easy listening' stuff with bacharach & david, randy newman & carole king in NYC.

does john mile's 'one minute every hour' count too? I recall it being bandied as northern soul at the youth club circa 1973. it was certainly big & really no worse than some of the more 'poppy' stuff mentioned on here...

M

Social source share

has anyone got a contact phone number for DAVE GREET or e-mail address Please personal message me with details. Also where is Pete Widdowson now adays , Austrailia, Southamton, a contact number for him as well !!!

thanks

Rob Wigley

If you dont have this yet, try PMing Alison or John Nightingale they are still in close contact with Dave, lovely man wink.gif

Social source share

Think thats an American recording - came out on a US Jayboy, which looks weird

You're right Pete. Thought it was on UK as well though - no ?

Good record all the same

Social source share

Yeah it is mate, just thought we were supposed to shout UK produced items only.

Dave Godin tipped that Doris Willingham record for ages, she is 'Doris Duke' I think

Doris Duke - well there you go.

Social source share

Yeah it is mate, just thought we were supposed to shout UK produced items only.

Dave Godin tipped that Doris Willingham record for ages, she is 'Doris Duke' I think

Read the thread wrongly ( but gave Doris a nice plug)

It has to be Tony Blackburn then I guess

Edited by ZTSC
Social source share

One minute every hour was a massive record at youth clubs and discos everywhere! Must have been popular as it got booted.

Very true - a youth club classic.

Thanks for posting all the British stuff Pete.

Regarding the Paradox thing on Polydor, for what it's worth, I thought I "discovered" that one in 1973. An old mate of mine, Pete Green, aka Peter Lee Stirling was involved in it (writer?) Anyway, played it to Russ W, early days at Wigan and he wanted an emidisc, but I never heard him play it. I guess there was too much quality around at that time. I mean, Morris Chestnut or Paradox? No choice really.

Just dug out the Invitations thing on JayBoy. It's not aged well. You really want to like it, but it's hard! Anybody want to buy a mint demo?

Col

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

does say IMO if you read the post right - enlighten me as to why the Little Anthony version is better!

Because she sings it like an old lady would if performing in front of a group of pensioners in an old peoples home laugh.gif no, I quite like it but the production is sparse compared to Little Anthony

Social source share

Because she sings it like an old lady would if performing in front of a group of pensioners in an old peoples home laugh.gif no, I quite like it but the production is sparse compared to Little Anthony

This sums it up. But seeing as you asked to be enlightened, grant, I'll try:The vocal boarders on the comical and reminds me of comedians in the early days of the Beatles and other Liverpool groups who would get a laugh by mimicking how mainstream MOR singers of the day would sound singing the new music with their twee overnenuciated delivery.Marion Ryan tries hard. But this is a song that's supposed to be drenched in teenage angst and Marion Ryan makes a less convincing angst stricken teenager than did 30 something Oliva Newton John Olivia in Grease. Little Anthony, on the other hand, pushes the envelope on lush verging on camp, but gets away with it as tear jerkingly as perhaps only Little Anthony's falsetto could. He is aided of course by the superb glamour and glissando of the brilliant Teddy Randazzo's monster production. Little Anthony's version is definitive Northern Soul.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

This sums it up. But seeing as you asked to be enlightened, grant, I'll try:The vocal boarders on the comical and reminds me of comedians in the early days of the Beatles and other Liverpool groups who would get a laugh by mimicking how mainstream MOR singers of the day would sound singing the new music with their twee overnenuciated delivery.Marion Ryan tries hard. But this is a song that's supposed to be drenched in teenage angst and Marion Ryan makes a less convincing angst stricken teenager than did 30 something Oliva Newton John Olivia in Grease. Little Anthony, on the other hand, pushes the envelope on lush verging on camp, but gets away with it as tear jerkingly as perhaps only Little Anthony's falsetto could. He is aided of course by the superb glamour and glissando of the brilliant Teddy Randazzo's monster production. Little Anthony's version is definitive Northern Soul.

IYO Billy laugh.gif

Social source share

Marian Ryan was a 'torch singer' a la Kathy Kirby, only not as good, and the mother of Paul and Barry Ryan . This is probably an attempt to be hip after her career went off the tracks in the very early sixties.

Never mind LA (which IMO is brilliant) Robin Wilson is ten times better IMO of cours.

Social source share

On Decca..

is that ferns brass foundry (or something like that)

a few "good" uns i think!

memories of you- pete law

Dont make promises- cant remember who by but its on deram and very wigan late 70,s

hang on-vick flick (a hybrid of time is tight cool aid and thumb a ride honest!!)

love is serious business- grace kennedy lp (best version of a bad record whistling.gif )

Social source share

Vic Flick Sound, I think it's on Chapter One records...I waited years to hear this. I was dissapointed :lol:

is that ferns brass foundry (or something like that)

a few "good" uns i think!

memories of you- pete law

Dont make promises- cant remember who by but its on deram and very wigan late 70,s

hang on-vick flick (a hybrid of time is tight cool aid and thumb a ride honest!!)

love is serious business- grace kennedy lp (best version of a bad record whistling.gif )

It is Fearns Brass Foundry mate.

I've never heard of Pete Law.

Don't Make Promises...you sure about this being UK...I've got a record called that and it's an instrumental, sounds a lot like Phil Coulter at the start then goes crazy in the last 3rd. It's on a Canadian label.

Social source share

Vic Flick Sound, I think it's on Chapter One records...I waited years to hear this. I was dissapointed whistling.gif

Don't Make Promises...you sure about this being UK...I've got a record called that and it's an instrumental, sounds a lot like Phil Coulter at the start then goes crazy in the last 3rd. It's on a Canadian label.

cant find pete law, but found dont make promises by tam white on deram 261 directed by mike vickers and produced by pete shelly!!

Social source share

Vic Flick Sound, I think it's on Chapter One records...I waited years to hear this. I was dissapointed :lol:

put a vick flick on ebay and a very serious uk collector who is known to have loads of dead rarestuff paid £4 for it whistling.gif

Social source share

thanks

Rob Wigley

Rob, I have sent you pm re these 2.

Alan

Rob

Dave Greet - now there's a name from the past. Ringing monster sized bells but I can't recall where I knew him from. I know he deejayed, but was Dave a Midlander?

Colin

No, Dave was from Southampton, now living in Reading. DJed at Yate etc. Nice collection!!!

Alan

Social source share

Yeah different song altogether then mate...that'd be Pete Shelley who was "Life" who did Cats Eyes.

cats eyes, another one that sits in my "is it good or crap" box, pete shelley had a pop hit in the 70,s i presume its the same pete shelley, whilst looking in that dusty box i found cissy stone "gone but not forgotten" opportunity knocks winning northern!!

forgot to add new monitors fence around your heart British?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert