Best Version Of I Can't Wait To See My Baby's Face?

Monticellos awful and so is Spyder Turner. This song can only be sung by a girl IMO.

Dusty nice, backing a bit overproduced. Pat Thomas too polished. Baby Washington best version, Sonji Clay close second.

Youtube search brought up Dee Dee Warwick I never heard of that one before. Probably slowest version, check it out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well Spyder Turner is defo down at the bottom, what about Dusty Springfield, hers a lovely version? x

sorry mate but the words "Spyder Turner" and "defo down at the bottom" should never appear in the same sentence! :no:

as Bob said this track was talked about very recently, and I kinda agree with Bob the Dontells version has to be up there as one of the best versions of a tune that to be honest would be hard to do a poor version of! all "imho" of course. :yes:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

sorry mate but the words "Spyder Turner" and "defo down at the bottom" should never appear in the same sentence! :no:

as Bob said this track was talked about very recently, and I kinda agree with Bob the Dontells version has to be up there as one of the best versions of a tune that to be honest would be hard to do a poor version of! all "imho" of course. :yes:

steve

yes, part of the reason I think the Dontells is that the best female version by far, in my opinion, is Baby Washington. Some of the versions make it jazzier, etc. but I would rather hear a soulful version with Washington's vocals. The Dontells is a totally different take on the song, turning into a male falsetto harmony track, which is very soulful in another way.

Social source share

Any version of this song great to my ears. Love different versions of same songs. Why does there have to be a "best"?

I actually like the Spyder Turner version as I was happy to pick that LP up real cheap, also think Monticellos is great (both have same backing I think).

Pat Thomas sounds great and looks great on Verve I think. Love Aretha, Sonji Clay, Baby Washington + Dusty versions too.

Dontells is new to my ears, so thanks for that. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The flip side of the Monticellos is good northern.

I never flipped it over, I will check out it, thanks for the tip.

BTW, this Monticellos is from Buffalo, NY (despite recording in detroit) and are the exact same group as Madeline and the Monticellos on de-vel. They have no connection to the group on Cool, who are from Chicago.

Social source share

The flip side of the Monticellos is good northern.

So was the side being talked about here last time I listened, although it was before the one dimensional tempo terrorists parachuted in on their mission to save the scene...........

The other side, Don't Hold Back, was played for a fair few years by Gary Rushbrooke when everyone was on their nighter holidays.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

I never flipped it over, I will check out it, thanks for the tip.

BTW, this Monticellos is from Buffalo, NY (despite recording in detroit) and are the exact same group as Madeline and the Monticellos on de-vel. They have no connection to the group on Cool, who are from Chicago.

Never would have got that Bob, need to go and dig them both out for a reminder,.

Social source share

I might be a little bias, but 'Baby' Washington gets my vote. She's the original with the passion coming through. It would have been nice to hear the other versions to compare it to (outside of Aretha) so I could make a real comparison. Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

I might be a little bias, but 'Baby' Washington gets my vote. She's the original with the passion coming through. It would have been nice to hear the other versions to compare it to (outside of Aretha) so I could make a real comparison. Lorraine

Lorraine, here's Pat Thomas, and The Dontells takes....

steve

Edited by Soul-Integrity
Social source share

Lorraine, here's Pat Thomas, and The Dontells takes....

steve

Thanks Steve,

OK. I like Pat's version and I like the twist The Dontells put on the arrangement with theirs. I like Aretha's too. Notice the 'like'? I'm sticking with 'Baby' Washington. I think hers is more passionate and soulful, plus I grew up with her singing that song. (Why did the writer credits change between Pat Thomas and The Dontells on the labels?) Do you or anyone else know?

Lorraine

Social source share

Thanks Steve,

OK. I like Pat's version and I like the twist The Dontells put on the arrangement with theirs. I like Aretha's too. Notice the 'like'? I'm sticking with 'Baby' Washington. I think hers is more passionate and soulful, plus I grew up with her singing that song. (Why did the writer credits change between Pat Thomas and The Dontells on the labels?) Do you or anyone else know?

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

Jerry Ragavoy and Norman Mead(e) are the same person. Not sure why one label

credits Ragavoy and the other one Mead.

Also I agree with you on the Baby Washington version.

Edited by the yank
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Baby Washington is the best version probably, I just am a major fan of falsetto sweet soul and that's what the Dontells do. And it's a totally different arrangement / take on the song.

I looked at licensing the dontells version once, it's in BMI under a bunch of permutations of writers for some reason.

re: monticellos, Clay McMurray confirmed the buffalo thing and gave first name and a buffalo guy who talked to the group gave the full lineup with last names and it matched all of McMurray's first names.

Social source share

Baby Washington is the best version probably, I just am a major fan of falsetto sweet soul and that's what the Dontells do. And it's a totally different arrangement / take on the song.

I looked at licensing the dontells version once, it's in BMI under a bunch of permutations of writers for some reason.

re: monticellos, Clay McMurray confirmed the buffalo thing and gave first name and a buffalo guy who talked to the group gave the full lineup with last names and it matched all of McMurray's first names.

Hi Boba,

I caught you on the previous thread regarding this and you gave the writer explanation. Thanks for saying it again here.

Lorraine

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!