Johnnie Taylor - Blues In The Night

Shaunfitz

If you mean Proper 45 there isnt a US / IK release

Stax LP Only

It was issued in France as a 45 Atlantic and on EP Stax

Heavily booted on a pale Stax look a like

And may now have been re booted which seems to be" the "in thing " ala Tempests :lol:

In 1977, Fantasy Records acquired the post-1968 Stax catalog, as well as selected pre-1968 recordings. Beginning in 1978, Stax (now owned by Fantasy) began signing new acts and issuing new material, as well as re-issuing previously recorded Stax material. However, by the early 1980s no new material was being issued on the label, and for the next two decades, Stax was strictly a re-issue label.

After Concord Records acquired Fantasy in 2004, the Stax label was reactivated, and is today used to issue both the 1968-1975 catalog material and new recordings by current R&B/soul performers. Atlantic Records continues to hold the rights to the vast majority of the 1959-1968 Stax material.

STAX-589008 Johnnie Taylor / Otis Redding Blues In The Night / Loving By The Pound (7", Ltd)

According to this information which can easily be googled, this version of 'Blues in the Night' is an official release

and I challenge anyone to question it.

Edited by dekka
Social source share

In 1977, Fantasy Records acquired the post-1968 Stax catalog, as well as selected pre-1968 recordings. Beginning in 1978, Stax (now owned by Fantasy) began signing new acts and issuing new material, as well as re-issuing previously recorded Stax material. However, by the early 1980s no new material was being issued on the label, and for the next two decades, Stax was strictly a re-issue label.

After Concord Records acquired Fantasy in 2004, the Stax label was reactivated, and is today used to issue both the 1968-1975 catalog material and new recordings by current R&B/soul performers. Atlantic Records continues to hold the rights to the vast majority of the 1959-1968 Stax material.

STAX-589008 Johnnie Taylor / Otis Redding Blues In The Night / Loving By The Pound (7", Ltd)

According to this information which can easily be googled, this version of 'Blues in the Night' is an official release

Thats great info ,,,,, i really was told it was a boot,,, and is sold at do's by all the dealers who are known to sell boots, pressings look alikes and now boots of boots even !! :lol:

There ya go then Sean ,,,, ya can now go and buy a Official Re Issue with the bonus of Lovin By The Pound on the b side!!

Its " Proper" ,,, but like i say ,,, beware of the "new breed" boot leggers,,,, who may have booted the 2006 re issue!!

Id stick to the French Atlantic 45 thats the one i use looks nice on the Technics too!

Hope ya find one bro ,,, seeyas soon :wave:

Nige

Social source share

Thanks for the info I will give my copy a spin.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i used to play the french EP then i went through a phase of playing off the issue the US public would have had available which is the album :)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I'm happy to play the original american 45 STAX-589008.

I would also love a 1960's Alfa Romeo but i'm happy to drive an up to date Alfa car owned by FIAT.

After all, even though Fiat have the copyright it's still released under the Alfa label, happy days :thumbsup:

i have to be totally honest and this is only a personal opinion but if you were playing at my club and you played the Stax one you'd never dj for me again ... i'd be happy with the french ep, the atlantic french one or the album

Social source share

is it just me , or does anyone else not understand the points being [ gently ] bandied about here?

if you stick with an ovo policy, then it's not just boots/ counterfeits / lookalikes / whatever you call them....but also re-releases too, [ whether official or not ], ......that can't by definition be ovo ?

it's not about whether they're legal or not ?

pete lyster

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it's not about whether they're legal or not ?

pete lyster

not for me , the track in question, was released on an artist original album the aforementioned "wanted, one soul singer" and that is good enough for me... it's the original format etc likewise the Otis Redding which is on an album called "it's not just sentimental" (i think, i have it just can't be arsed looking) along with an alternate take called "lbs and 100's" and that for me is the original vinyl version and the one i'll play

Social source share

i have to be totally honest and this is only a personal opinion but if you were playing at my club and you played the Stax one you'd never dj for me again ... i'd be happy with the french ep, the atlantic french one or the album

I guess it's all down to opinions then and how pedantic people want to be.

Fantasy records who acquired stax used the stax material solely on a re-issue basis,

Concorde Records who acquired Fantasy and therefore Stax, re-activated the Stax label.

Concorde then released the 2 tracks in question on a 45 (Albeit on a double A side 45). These 2 tracks had never previously been released on a 45 in america, therefore it must naturally follow that the 2 records in question are not 'boots' or 're-issue's' but authentic american OVO 45's.

If Stax themselves had done this in the 1960's no one would be questioning their authenticity, so why are people questioning it now.

Or is it because it's the people that own the french version and the LP that are questioning it and are blind to the facts because they don't want to see their versions decrease in value.

It smacks of self preservation rather than a balanced view after all the facts have been presented.

Social source share

These 2 tracks had never previously been released on a 45 in america, therefore it must naturally follow that the 2 records in question are not 'boots' or 're-issue's' but authentic american OVO 45's.

That's where you're wrong. They're legal reissues, not authentic OVO 45's. Authentic OVO means released "back in the days", 1960's in this case. If I'd follow your logic, I could play tracks off CD's if they weren't released on CD before.

Social source share

That's where you're wrong. They're legal reissues, not authentic OVO 45's. Authentic OVO means released "back in the days", 1960's in this case. If I'd follow your logic, I could play tracks off CD's if they weren't released on CD before.

Yes, but do you have the copyright, this is the whole point of the argument.

And I don't agree with your definition, please tell where you got that information,

is it written down in a soul bible somewhere, will it be the old testament or the new?

Social source share

Guest john s

That's where you're wrong. They're legal reissues, not authentic OVO 45's. Authentic OVO means released "back in the days", 1960's in this case.

Absolutely. Doesn't seem hard! :)

Social source share

Absolutely. Doesn't seem hard! :)

Stax Wanted One Soul Singer

released 1967

Atlantic Watermelon man/Blues in the night

Released 1969

It just managed to stay in the 60's, therefore it's an official 'ovo',

2 years or 39 years, what is the difference (apart from the obvious)

Atlantic pressed and distributed records for Stax, which suited both stax and atlantic financially. Stax owned the copyright and allowed Atlantic legal pressing.

As Concorde records (the legal owners) re-activated Stax records and released the afore mentioned 'lepper' record on the Stax label, the question has to be asked,

is the Atlantic record a boot?

Edited by dekka
Social source share

Stax Wanted One Soul Singer

released 1967

Atlantic Watermelon man/Blues in the night

Released 1969

It just managed to stay in the 60's, therefore it's an official 'ovo',

2 years or 39 years, what is the difference (apart from the obvious)

Atlantic pressed and distributed records for Stax, which suited both stax and atlantic financially. Stax owned the copyright and allowed Atlantic legal pressing.

As Concorde records (the legal owners) re-activated Stax records and released the afore mentioned 'lepper' record on the Stax label, the question has to be asked,

is the Atlantic record a boot?

You seem to be the only person on this thread that is arguing that a tune on a record which was first issued in 1967 when pressed again in 2006, the 2006 issue is OVO. As you point out, it is a legal issue but its not quite what people accept as OVO. And as you also point out the Stax label is a re-activation.

Personally, I agree with Davie, I like to have the records that were issued in the 60's or 70's as they are the ones that were cut without hindsight.

That's what it comes down to in the end - personal preference. OVO is a personal view of things it isn't a right or wrong view, I don't know why people keep arguing about it. Arguing that a 2006 issue should be considered OVO isn't going to change anyone's mind, whatever their view.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You seem to be the only person on this thread that is arguing that a tune on a record which was first issued in 1967 when pressed again in 2006, the 2006 issue is OVO. As you point out, it is a legal issue but its not quite what people accept as OVO. And as you also point out the Stax label is a re-activation.

Personally, I agree with Davie, I like to have the records that were issued in the 60's or 70's as they are the ones that were cut without hindsight.

That's what it comes down to in the end - personal preference. OVO is a personal view of things it isn't a right or wrong view, I don't know why people keep arguing about it. Arguing that a 2006 issue should be considered OVO isn't going to change anyone's mind, whatever their view.

Thankyou and I agree with everything you say, :thumbsup:

I know I was being beligerent but I just wanted to make the point :yes:

and that this record cannot be discriminated against on an OVO policy (in my opinion)

be it 2 years or 39 years hindsight, it makes no difference.

Atlantic only released the pressing because of it's popularity through being played out from the LP, it's called shrewd business acumen as is with Concorde.

Edited by dekka
Social source share

The French 45 plays nice and loud Yocky (mine does anyway) :lol::P ,,, but i cant speak for the French EP!

I have quite a few French EPs and most if not all do play quiet.

Social source share