Bobby Womack - New Stuff

Guest Ollie Lailey

Guest Ollie Lailey

New Bobby Womack album out soon on XL. He's doing a few festivals this year. Not sure about the post dubstep production, but the voice is still there. What do people think?

Social source share

I wouldn't have even known how to describe the production, but spot on that the voice and phrasing is still there which is great to know. Doesn't leave you with much choice than to buy it anyway, and maybe hope there's an alternative take somewhere to be found....

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Yeah the video freaked me out a bit. You see the second hand of the watch and his thumbs and little finger move slightly during it. Clever. Yeah, I agree about the album. It has potential, maybe not dancefloor potential, but could be a grower like the Jamie XX reworking of the Gil Scott Heron album of last year. I just played it on out on my home system and the production is better out loud - as apposed to tiny laptop speakers. I'm sure it will do very well commercially, if this tune is anything to go by.

Edited by Ollie Lailey
Social source share

will have to check out the LP and hope it has a few tracks with less annoying backing tracks than that one.

You might be disappointed judging from this quote

"Bobby seemed to relish the opportunity to make something modern and original, and embraced and encouraged the use of unusual sounds and techniques," Richard Russell said. "It was hard to believe how free of ego he was, and how open to new ideas"

Social source share

You might be disappointed judging from this quote

"Bobby seemed to relish the opportunity to make something modern and original, and embraced and encouraged the use of unusual sounds and techniques," Richard Russell said. "It was hard to believe how free of ego he was, and how open to new ideas"

I spent a huge chunk of my life listening to electronic music so i'm not particulary against it at all I just thought that backing lacked any real strength. It didn't move me at all.

Social source share

I spent a huge chunk of my life listening to electronic music so i'm not particulary against it at all I just thought that backing lacked any real strength. It didn't move me at all.

I know what you mean. The synth chords voicing and little fills/figures aint particularly inspiring but the rest is good I think (nice guitar bit at the end ) and of course the vocals and melody are top notch.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

I like it , will definitely buy his new stuff. The man could sing the phone book & i would be happy......................right back to Bill Withers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

New Bobby Womack album out soon on XL. He's doing a few festivals this year. Not sure about the post dubstep production, but the voice is still there. What do people think?

Erm not sure about that particular track on hearing it for the first time, but because it is the masters voice :wink: , I'm sure it will grow on me. I will certainly buy the album :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!