Alice Clark - Where Did She Go After Mainstream ?

I was listening to Heaven's Will (flip to You Hit Me) this morning and was struck by what a great voice Alice Clark had. George Kerr could certainly recognise and direct talent, and this track is comparable to Linda Jones at her best. Aside from the Warner Brothers, Rainy Day 45s and the brilliant Mainstream album and 45, I don't know anything else by her.

Does anyone know if she had any other releases or what happened to her following her Mainstream album ?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The Cd I have which is titled "The Complete Studio Recordings" 1968-1972 lists only what you have Cliff plus the unissued Mainstream instrumental to You hit Me and an unissued Rainy Day track "Before Her Time".

Unless she did anything after 1972 it would appear she dropped right off the music scene. I'll have a read of the liner notes later.

Social source share

The Cd I have which is titled "The Complete Studio Recordings" 1968-1972 lists only what you have Cliff plus the unissued Mainstream instrumental to You hit Me and an unissued Rainy Day track "Before Her Time".

Unless she did anything after 1972 it would appear she dropped right off the music scene. I'll have a read of the liner notes later.

Cheers Chalky, I don't have the CD, and couldn't find anything else on t'internet. Such a waste of great a talent if she dropped out of the music scene altogether.

Social source share

Quickly scanned the liner notes (Kerry keeps shouting "am I gonna do owt today or what :D ) but it would appear the Mainstream LP was left unordered on the company's shelves and the lack of sales was the final straw for Alice who drifted away from the music industry and has not been heard of since.

Dean Rudland compiled the CD and did the liner notes, he may have heard something since the CD was issued. Great CD btw.

Social source share

I was listening to Heaven's Will (flip to You Hit Me) this morning and was struck by what a great voice Alice Clark had. George Kerr could certainly recognise and direct talent, and this track is comparable to Linda Jones at her best.

Taking nothing away from Alice, Cliff, but I've thought (for the past 40 odd years) that 'Heaven's Will (Must Be Obeyed)' was made for Linda Jones.

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

she did some interesting stuff on action in circa 1968. " you got a deal" being pretty up front for her

Social source share

Quickly scanned the liner notes (Kerry keeps shouting "am I gonna do owt today or what :D ) but it would appear the Mainstream LP was left unordered on the company's shelves and the lack of sales was the final straw for Alice who drifted away from the music industry and has not been heard of since.

Dean Rudland compiled the CD and did the liner notes, he may have heard something since the CD was issued. Great CD btw.

I was hoping the same Chalky, but alas no.

According to Billy Vera who produced the Rainy Day session she was part of some sort of religious cult, and that perhaps that claimed her.

The thing that surprised me when I worked on that release was how good an album the Mainstream release was. I had had it down as a two tracker since the day I got it.

Social source share

I also started a thread on her about two years ago.

One guy wrote that she had deceased long time ago, but I am not sure how trustworthy that information is.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert