Allnighters - Was: Worlds Number 1 Allnighter

Guest JIM BARRY

i couldn't think of a better all niter experience these days than listening to mostly records i know, i dont want to spend all night listening to un knowns that are well below the standard of the oldies i enjoy, and i dont mean the same old run of the mill oldies, i dont mind a smattering of new stuff, but not to the detriment of class..in particilar i love the big rare oldies, so if i would pick a no 1 niter , it would have to be stoke.

Social source share

The other room at one time was modern room,but now its a rare room and another part of the building,the last I was there some good sounds was played but it was to light and the dance floor was them 1m squares put together I dont know if its changed?

It must cost a small fortune for the Kings Hall but the rewards must be good.

Kev.

Social source share

Got there just before 12, had a great time at Sandbach but the Kings a fooking great night cant think of a better way to celebrate my 26th :lol:

Ted,Happy birthday Ive danced to many a record in your sets but 26? was you born on the 29th of Feb. :lol:

Atb.Kev. :hypocrite:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just reading this thread with interest as I've never attended Kings Hall as an oldies nighter has never really been of interest to me.But of late I've got the urge to go & see a big hall with a large crowd in & everyone up for it,so it's on the "to do" list.I'm not really bothered about the best this or best that arguments as I'm a big lad & can decide for myself what's the best for "me".The thing I've found strange amongst the various posts is that those defending the night have spoken more about the Windsor Suite & how good that was rather then what I've always thought Kings Hall is famous for oldies?Why does it need another room?

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn, the last time I went to Kings Hall was 2001 maybe a bit later? I attended it regular, as it had a fantastic modern room, and the main room was just as awesome. I loved both rooms, and by the sounds of it, i'd still love both rooms (I like it all) There was a time when I'd be at a nighter every weekend, but not any more. I will get to Stoke again one day :thumbsup: Maybe we could car share as the price of blxxding fuel makes my blood boil ranting_1.gif

Take care fella :thumbsup:

Ali x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

last time i went to kings hall, butch was playing his philladelphians cover up...so must have been about 98 ish....thought at the time it was just like wigan

Social source share

Kev, you must be splitting your sides at this thread.

It started off as 'With all the talk about the Worlds number 1, Allnighter, whats the number 2,then?'

Now it's turned in to a feedback of last night, what a great piece of marketing.

Chalky summed it up in post 56.

Forget your league tables and just enjoy the music.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Simple post by Tony Foster says it all. We all love our soul music, I think there is just to many venues going on at the moment which causes these confrontations. Lets all enjoy the clubs we go to, be it night,nighter or weekender. To me theres no No1 venue, most venues on the scene have djs with enough knowledge to keep their paying customers happy. Stop the bickering away and get a cup of tea put your feet up and watch countryfile on tele :thumbsup: Cheers Pete.

Social source share

last time i went to kings hall, butch was playing his philladelphians cover up...so must have been about 98 ish....thought at the time it was just like wigan

Check your dates, Philadelphians, presume you mean the Trannels, uncovered long before 98.

Kings Hall is a great venue, fantastic at what it does and a superb atmosphere. Other venues just as good at what they do, all provide something different in a diverse scene. Don't know why everyone has to claim this or that about a particular night. I'm sure most who do the all-nighters have been to most venues and know full well what is on offer and rarely listen to the hype and bullish*t spouted by some on here, I rarely even look at a flyer these days, I know exactly what I'm going to get at any particular venue and I can say the same whenever I see a DJ's name, I know what he has to offer. Like I said just get on with it and enjoy it while you can.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Check your dates, Philadelphians, presume you mean the Trannels, uncovered long before 98.

Kings Hall is a great venue, fantastic at what it does and a superb atmosphere. Other venues just as good at what they do, all provide something different in a diverse scene. Don't know why everyone has to claim this or that about a particular night. I'm sure most who do the all-nighters have been to most venues and know full well what is on offer and rarely listen to the hype and bullish*t spouted by some on here, I rarely even look at a flyer these days, I know exactly what I'm going to get at any particular venue and I can say the same whenever I see a DJ's name, I know what he has to offer. Like I said just get on with it and enjoy it while you can.

TRANNELLS, yes thats the one, not saying it was still covered up chalky, it just stuck in my mind as a standout record at the time, and later heard it had been covered up. couldn't remember by thats all, it was deffo 98 when i went last ,as i had just got married.

Social source share

Had some great nighters at Kings Hall over the years :thumbsup: , lovely dancefloor and a good atmosphere. :hatsoff2: And also i've seen not so good nighters where the place has been emptied out early, :g: and the up tempo wasn't on the regular basis. :yes: 1600 people at the last one, that;'s got to be saying something. Hats off to you Kev and Sam :hatsoff2: , they look like they reactivated the Flasher just joking there Kev :P . All the best see you soon.

Billy :yes:

Social source share

Guest nubes

Had some great nighters at Kings Hall over the years :thumbsup: , lovely dancefloor and a good atmosphere. :hatsoff2: And also i've seen not so good nighters where the place has been emptied out early, :g: and the up tempo wasn't on the regular basis. :yes:1600 people at the last one, that;'s got to be saying something. Hats off to you Kev and Sam :hatsoff2: , they look like they reactivated the Flasher just joking there Kev :P . All the best see you soon.

Billy :yes:

Deffo waay more than that last night...doors opened up early....got there at 10...wsas fooking rmmed with more still coming in...when Derek and i left just after 5 ..the main room dancfloor was still buzzing...and the Flasher wasnt playe d to my knowledge.... :D Del....xxxxx

Social source share

Having missed the last ,I spent about 3 hours @ the kings last night and wil eat a slither of humble pie and say I thoughly enjoyed it. I heard a few complain it was too packed that it only added to the atmos for me and the music in the main room was a little on the obvious side for my tastes but I was pleased to see that the windsor had ditched the merchandise stalls and the garish lights. In many ways the kings is undoubtably the worlds number one nighter but without a more cutting edge music policy in the main room its supremecy will always be in question to some. the tough question is with a more cutting edge music would be commercially viable? A real conumdrum.

The true beauty of the kings it has to be said is the social factor, nowhere else do I see so many faces I know , and my pleasure last night came in the form of lots of joyous handshakes and hugs of freinds old and new, you can knock it and pick the music policy to pieces but I'd have to say the scene would be worse of without it.

Social source share

"I'm a celebrity get my out of here" gets huge viewing figures, Cold Play gigs always 'sell out' & MacDonalds is always rammed as is Kings Hall Stoke Alnighters!, if the above 'float your boat', crack on kids!!?,

P.S. Can anybody name any records that Kings Hall can call their own?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why does there always have to be a best? all different in one way or another and all appeal to different people for different reasons, for f*cks sake just go where you wanna go and enjoy it. Like set of big kids, my dad's bigger than yours.

BANG ON CHALKY!

We really do not need to put an event on a pedestal as being the best. Everyone on here has there own opinion on what event and music genre floats their boat and are free to express it. I think what gets up peoples noses is when said promotors of events have to ram it down your throat that their event is the best/worlds greatest on all marketing material and flyers.

A little humility and the "Carlsberg" attitude-probably the best- would not go amiss when promoting events.

Just get out there and enjoy the music and always try something a little different to your normal venues and remember that unless a record was released within the last couple of years, they are all OLDIES.

ROY

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev, you must be splitting your sides at this thread.

It started off as 'With all the talk about the Worlds number 1, Allnighter, whats the number

2,then?'

Now it's turned in to a feedback of last night, what a great piece of marketing.

Chalky summed it up in post 56.

Forget your league tables and just enjoy the music.

Not at all Tony. Just proud of our achievement over the last 16 years. I'm equally thrilled it's in Stoke on Trent.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

"I'm a celebrity get my out of here" gets huge viewing figures, Cold Play gigs always 'sell out' & MacDonalds is always rammed as is Kings Hall Stoke Alnighters!, if the above 'float your boat', crack on kids!!?,

P.S. Can anybody name any records that Kings Hall can call their own?

Oh thanks for your endorsement, myself and 1600 others can safely purchase our tickets for the next one knowing we have your approval. Im a celeb, McDonalds? give me a break. For a nighter with such little "street cred" it sure does attract some interest and comments from people who supposedly wouldnt darken their doorstep. We will just carry on enjoying ourselves 5 times a year and leave the Victor Meldrews to twitch their curtains.

KH is sold and attended as an oldies nighter, so I think your last question is a little odd.

Social source share

kings hall is the biggest but 'the best' can only be down to personal opinions...its the best venue...if only the second room had a proper dancefloor it would be the perfect venue..

ive been to kings hall,lifeline,bidds,rugby,radcliff..they are all different and i know what im getting when i go to each one and to be honest ive had brilliant nights at them all and thats why just like my fave tunes ist nigh on impossible for me to say what is best..and why have we got to have a best?...just creates more bad blood amoungst promoters and less face it there seems to be enuff of that about already!

dean

Social source share

Am i missing something here? The question is "What's the 2nd best nighter"?.Not ,"Did i go to Stoke Kings Hall and did i enjoy it"?

There's only 4 lookbacks in the right section for Kings Hall.I'll be posting my lookback in the correct place.

Who cares what the 2nd best nighter is really.? Getting out and about amongst good friends,and music that floats your boat is the thing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like oranges, I also like apples pears and lemons, depending on the mood I'm in of course. I've never really tried to compare the various fruits, what's the point, they're all so very different, nor would I attempt to rate them in terms of which is the best, the best at being what, orange or yellow etc. It's cerainly true that Oranges are better at being Orange than Lemons are, but so what.

I just know that I like fruit, naturally I prefer it fresh, but I also recognise that some people like it tinned in a little light syrup.

Edited by Shaun W
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Yes please , especially for those of us living on the other side of the bloody world !!!

As requested my opening Main Room set is now in Playlists section,,,

Its the Windsor Suite plays id really like to see !! :thumbsup:

Some awesom stuff after 1am played in there!!

Edited by Nige Brown
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Can we drop what happened at Stoke on Saturday night and what got played. If you want to discuss that or any other event from Saturday then do so in the appropriate forum.

This isn't a lookback forum or a forum for promoting your all-nighter so again leave that for the appropriate forum please.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

heres the link here

can read/post views on the last kings hall nighter via that link

can understand the confusion

so to try and avoid further

if it seems that no one wants to carry on the more "general" discussion on allnighters then will close this shortly

Social source share

have had a request to reopen this thread as some wish to carry on the general sort of discussion on nighters

so have retitled thread to try and avoid any confusion and ask members to use the relevant event posts for specfic event talk rather than here :thumbsup:

thanks

mike

Social source share

As requested my opening Main Room set is now in Playlists section,,,

Its the Windsor Suite plays id really like to see !! :thumbsup:

Some awesom stuff after 1am played in there!!

Thanks Nige :thumbsup:

Now let's hope some of the other DJ's can do the same & then we can get this thread back on track.

Social source share

I thought this was a great thread idea, regaurdless of the kings issue, of interest to me are the nighters I've sadly not been too, Rugby, already mentioned and highly praised, Glocster which I also hear is brilliant and both Notts and Derby, which have always clashed with some other must do of mine any opinions?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!