Do You Limit The Size Of Your Collection

Millo

In a word, no. :D

Me neither, unfortunately since we moved house the record boxes are still in the spare room waiting for the Dining Room to be converted to the record room at some point in the future........there are freakin records all over the house too :lol: ...drives Jenny mad.....

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

gettting more records now as buying cheaper stuff and enjoy it more than the same old overpriced oldies etc

i just buy what i can afford and then buy a new box to store them in every now and again ,traded off most of the expensive stuff i had £50+ tunes and happier with boxes of records that i like to listen to and wont cost alot to replace if they get damaged or lost

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've been selling a lot of my records over the last year but I've kept the ones that I really like. I've started buying again but only one or two here and there. My collection won't be limited but I won't be needing extra shelf space anytime soon.

Social source share

1833715-pile-of-vinyl-records-house-and-techno-music.jpg

YES I DO ! , Having had a huge 7 's collection throughout the eighties and nineties , I sold up and kept my albums , now have a nice round figure of 1000 , I trade & sell from my collection for any wants. The nice thing is that all my big money items I paid a pittence for at the time allow me to sell them off and regenirate my collection with new discoveries and underplayed . Let's face it when you've played some to death over the years and bought it for a couple of quid , you're gonna let it go if someone wants to pay you three figures !! :)

Social source share

Guest welshruss

Goodness me.....got vinyl all over this house.It gets on the wifes nerves at times !

Space is an issue too (bungalow)...but £££ comes into it as well..I only sell to buy the stuff i want.

And this is the daft thing...i ask for the same money i want to spend - in some weird way i feel i,m not ripping anyone off then.....i,ll get me coat.

Social source share

Limiting factors for me are:

The existence of the records in the first place (whether they were released - in the genres or on the labels I collect - if so I want them)

Actual availability of the records I want (whether I can find them - so limited by the old supply/demand)

Price (so limited by money of course)

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I limit the 45s to around 6500, I have a shelved wall which basically holds that many, when i start getting piles accumulating I know I have to get rid of some stuff from the wall. I've had more in the past, probably up to 8000 at least but I find keeping to a small limited collection like this is a good move. I don't want to have to get a storage unit or anything like that for records since I'm not a dealer or anything like that.

Social source share

this did make me smile Kris - only record collectors could say 6000 items is a small collection.... (laughs)

Derek

yeah, but compared to some of my friends in the US for example who have 10000 or more it is small. It's big for a soul/funk collection in New Zealand, but there are dudes here with rock collections much bigger than mine. At the end of the day it's nicely manageable.

Social source share

I limit the 45s to around 6500, I have a shelved wall which basically holds that many, when i start getting piles accumulating I know I have to get rid of some stuff from the wall. I've had more in the past, probably up to 8000 at least but I find keeping to a small limited collection like this is a good move. I don't want to have to get a storage unit or anything like that for records since I'm not a dealer or anything like that.

Remember when I started collecting again, having basically sold-up previously.

Prices had (so I thought then) gone through the roof. My ambition was just to have a 100 count box of quality rare sounds.

At that time (this will probably date it for you), I remember that in the intervening period when I wasn't collecting Willie Kendrick 'Change Your Ways' had gone from around a tenner to 100 quid on a demo :ohmy:

That was then and the collection is still growing frusty2.gif

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

sold off the LP's and 12's over the years but kept everything on mp3...now 45's and CD's only (better for the space).... started to sell the 45's some years ago.... that started me buying again much to the pleasure of ''her indoors''....so its now a regenerative process....doubt if I have a single 45 I used to have when I started to sell .... might say the same thing in 10 years time ...... sheer madness but great fun ....

Social source share

I have collected and sold 3 fairly decent collections since starting out early to mid 1970's, collected for the love of the music within said collection, and sold for needs and must as and when....etc....... I had vowed on selling my third, that it would be my last, back in 2001, alas having kept 50 or so "Classics from the upbeat Motown portfolio", as keepsakes so to speak,it proved to be the catylist for an ever growing collection out of Detroit, which has TBH taken on even more significance, as my previous "ignorance" of the producers/artist(e)s/studios,etc.,etc. has been overtaken by belated but respectful smittance,and moreover love of everything incorporated with most things soulfully vinyl "out of Michigan" ....... Whilst it's highly unlikely I'll ever get anywhere need the overall pinacle of the perfect Detroit collection.....it's even more unlikely that I'll give up trying to get there.......

wilxy :hatsoff2:

Edited by wilxy
Social source share

lightweight

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I keep aroud 1000 45's and maybe 3,000 lp's and 12's. I collect funk, gospel, multi styles of soul, psych and hip hop but i part with stuff to get new stuff so I don't think i will ever have thousands of 45'

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

HOW CAN YOU SAY PRICE IS A FACTOR................ARENT THEY ALL $10. SSSSSHHHH

seriously though i just buy it if i want it and have must stuff i want. there is a lot i would like. psycology usually works too, such as.

"darling i have just seen a pair of size 2 jimmy choo`s, only $1000, oh no not to wear just to put on the shelf"

LOL

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!