They Sold A Million

Mike

talk in other thread about million seller gave me a saturday thread idea

thread about

northern related tracks that have some relation (the stronger the better) to a well known mainstream chart 45 that sold a million ?

eg

my first thoughts would be

major harris -after lovin you

the flip of love wont let me wait

wikip grab...

Love Won't Let Me Wait" is a 1975 single by Major Harris, a former member of R&B/soul group The Delfonics. Written by Vinnie Barrett and Bobby Eli, the single is considered to be a staple of classic soul playlists and was Harris' only entry into the top five on both the soul and pop charts. The single hit number five on the pop chart, giving Harris a Gold record and also hit number one on the soul chart for one week.[1] The Single version is over Three minutes and Forty Six Seconds long, while the album version is over Five minutes and Forty Six Seconds long. The song features the sounds of a woman sobbing, especially during the instrumental portions as well as the long repeated Coda.

and here's the flip

after loving you

any one care to add to the list ..... ?

Social source share

band of gold?

human Beinz nobody but me? big hit and also featured in Kill Bill?

SOFT CELL TAINTED LOVE AND WHAT,

SIMPLY RED,IF YOU DONT KNOW ME BY NOW

DAWN PENN, YOU DONT LOVE ME.

was thinking more along the lines of flips or other connections to the million sellers rather than the actual million sellers themselve :thumbsup:

sort of inverse to rarest of the rare if get me

:rofl::thumbsup:

Social source share

was thinking more along the lines of flips or other connections to the million sellers rather than the actual million sellers themselve :thumbsup:

sort of inverse to rarest of the rare if get me

:rofl::thumbsup:

This must be close !

AND EVERYTHING MOTOWN RELATED !

dont think you "get it" andy

idea being a thread that may (or may not) come out with some odd bits of "interesting" trivia etc

wasnt really going for a thread full of well known classics chart clips

Social source share

I don't understand. Are you asking about northern tracks that are the flip of big hits? Or are you asking about 45s where the b-side is like an answer record to the a-side?

OK, I think you mean the first one. This is actually easier to know when collecting in the states because there are some records you always find because the a-side was a hit. For example, Soul Brothers Six "some kind of wonderful" has "I'll be loving you" on the flip.

Not a massive hit but the Exits "under the streetlamp" charted on the R&B charts and it initially became valuable recently when people started playing the flip.

Social source share

dont think you "get it" andy

idea being a thread that may (or may not) come out with some odd bits of "interesting" trivia etc

wasnt really going for a thread full of well known classics chart clips

But the B side He who picks a Rose-- still the best version

Tony

Social source share

Really wish I could get my photographic memory working but its all out of film at the mo.... John Anderson at Soul Bowl had countless 45 Gold Discs hanging around (or just stuffed way) and I can't for the life of me remember what they were, needless to say they all related to massive sellers. Actually there was a Mel & Tim track (presume Backfield In Motion) and £Cowboys To Girls" but thats all I can remember at the moment.

Jimmy Mack "My World Is On Fire" (Palmer) hit the high end R&B charts in the States. Don't know how many it sold but it must have been a fair few to do that.

Best

Steve

Social source share

Really wish I could get my photographic memory working but its all out of film at the mo.... John Anderson at Soul Bowl had countless 45 Gold Discs hanging around (or just stuffed way) and I can't for the life of me remember what they were, needless to say they all related to massive sellers. Actually there was a Mel & Tim track (presume Backfield In Motion) and £Cowboys To Girls" but thats all I can remember at the moment.

Jimmy Mack "My World Is On Fire" (Palmer) hit the high end R&B charts in the States. Don't know how many it sold but it must have been a fair few to do that.

Best

Steve- Disagree strongly. Jimmy Mack sold hardly any. When did it 'hit the high end of the R&B chart? Former label manager Joey Welz told me it sold zilch.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

It's a pity it's now a forgotten oldie, but Damita Jo's "I'll Save The Last Dance For You" on Ranwood (answer to the Drifters' massive hit "Save The Last Dance For Me") would have been a good candidate for this thread.

Alan.

Social source share

Isn't there a really good flip side to "Never Can Say Goodbye" that has been played - not sure if its the UK or US (or both)?

Maybe I dreamt it :huh:

Yup, Gloria Gaynor 'we just can't make it' is a fabulous 70's dancer.

I don't know where the 'other thread' is on this, but darrell banks 'open the door to your heart' c/w 'our love is in the pocket' sold a million didn't it?

Cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Yup, Gloria Gaynor 'we just can't make it' is a fabulous 70's dancer.

I don't know where the 'other thread' is on this, but darrell banks 'open the door to your heart' c/w 'our love is in the pocket' sold a million didn't it?

Cheers Sutty

It did Sutty. This is from the Michigan Chronicle about his death (from Soulful Detroit) "A bullet fired by an off-duty policeman ended the life of singer Darrell Banks, who made history among his peers in the entertainment field several years ago when scoring a million seller hit with "Open the door".

Social source share

Kev's right Steve, it sold bugger all

Already agreed with what Kev said Pete, just that you get these rumours etc. The reason I said that is that I'm sure when I got my first copy, John Anderson had said that he had spoken to (presumably) Joe Welz and that it was pressed in much more of a multiple run than normal. Maybe I have that totally wrong and I'm willing to be corrected as always. Not taking away from what everyone has said, the fact that there is evidence (which I dont have to hand) that it hit the high end of the R&B chart, does this mean that whatever was at number one sold 1000 copies and Jimmy Mack in all his glory singing about his world being a bit high on the celcius scale sold maybe 300 copies, possibly giving him a number 7 spot on the chart. Was it really that cut-throat back then numbers wise. I don't know so I'm willing to throw the forum open and be shot down in flames.

Humbly yours

Steve

Social source share

Already agreed with what Kev said Pete, just that you get these rumours etc. The reason I said that is that I'm sure when I got my first copy, John Anderson had said that he had spoken to (presumably) Joe Welz and that it was pressed in much more of a multiple run than normal. Maybe I have that totally wrong and I'm willing to be corrected as always. Not taking away from what everyone has said, the fact that there is evidence (which I dont have to hand) that it hit the high end of the R&B chart, does this mean that whatever was at number one sold 1000 copies and Jimmy Mack in all his glory singing about his world being a bit high on the celcius scale sold maybe 300 copies, possibly giving him a number 7 spot on the chart. Was it really that cut-throat back then numbers wise. I don't know so I'm willing to throw the forum open and be shot down in flames.

Humbly yours

Steve

Steve I hadn't got down as far as your reply when I replied.

The top R&B records would have sold like 50,000 copies I would have thought. Maybe more.

Social source share

Steve I hadn't got down as far as your reply when I replied.

The top R&B records would have sold like 50,000 copies I would have thought. Maybe more.

On that basis Pete, if it was mid range on the chart and sold 20,000 copies as an example, why the rareity ( and maybe that explains the multiple run in pressing). Not disagreeing with Kev at all in what he says but at what point do you say it sold bugger all. 10 copies, 100 copies, 1000copies or Gold disc standard?

Steve

Social source share

On that basis Pete, if it was mid range on the chart and sold 20,000 copies as an example, why the rareity ( and maybe that explains the multiple run in pressing). Not disagreeing with Kev at all in what he says but at what point do you say it sold bugger all. 10 copies, 100 copies, 1000copies or Gold disc standard?

Steve

No, I"m saying that the info was wrong in the first place, the record was a mile away from the R&B charts and probably sold maybe 300 locally in Detroit only.

Social source share

Guest jerrio

Dawn Penn you dont love me - Billy Gibson on MGM.

But not to worry Mike has already said I hadnt understood the thread lol

Social source share

Guest jerrio

Dawn Penn you dont love me - Billy Gibson on MGM.

But not to worry Mike has already said I hadnt understood the thread lol

Jerry Gainey not Billy Gibson,cheers Pete.

Social source share

I think you're mistaken about this. Maybe it was at the bottom of a detroit radio station chart or something.

Social source share

Hi Bob & Pete,

Not going to drag this out, I accept all you say but somewhere I have a chart where it is listed in the top 20 R&B singles. Without being able to check I cant say whether its an official sales chart or a radio chart. On that basis I'll back down and accept what you say.

Thanks for your replies

Steve

Social source share

Hi Bob & Pete,

Not going to drag this out, I accept all you say but somewhere I have a chart where it is listed in the top 20 R&B singles. Without being able to check I cant say whether its an official sales chart or a radio chart. On that basis I'll back down and accept what you say.

Thanks for your replies

Steve

I just checked and it's not in the joel whitburn billboard R&B book. the book basically lists any record that ever charted in the billboard r&b charts (e.g. even if it only got to 90). There are some other charts (like Cashbox) but I think if you saw it at 20 on a chart it was most likely a local detroit weekly radio station chart. Thanks.

Edited by boba
Social source share

interesting it (world is on fire) shows in 13 May 1967 billboard as a prediction to hit the top pop 100

yeah, lots of times the pop charts are more of an indication of hit status than the r&b charts, even for r&b tracks. however, if it was just in a "prediction" section i'm guessing that either a) companies paid for a mention in that column or b) the prediction was written by one person who got the 45 and liked it and thought it could be a hit, and not based on actual play.

either way, the record is pretty rare and unlikely to show up outside of detroit.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!