Val Shively. Millions Of Rnb Records

After seeing the out of the past records vid I thought members might like to see this one.

I was there in 1976 and he'd already been cleared out by John Anderson unfortunately. Nevertheless, I had a great couple of days in Philly and Val was gracious enough to put me up for a night. Didn't get any serious records from Val, but the trip was worthwhile because of the fabulous stories which Val related about nutcase record collectors. Also I witnessed Val kicking out someone from his store which is a whole other story in itself. Priceless.

Ian D :D

Social source share

There are 45s in there - but it's by no means easy, it may have been in some kind of order years ago, but now it's pretty much shot to shit.

There's been quite a few dealers through those shelves over the years, so you can guarantee pretty much that 99% has been turned over, and if you do manage to find anything, you've got to accept that Chuck now uses Manships for pricing,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Paul- Too true. I, rather like Ian probably jump to that conclusion.

I found little at Val's when introduced to him in 1975, it didn't stop me finding a handful everytime I went there for a further 15 years.

And that's all well before the R&B, Crossover and Modern goldrush.

If you make it to Val's, I'm sure you'll find something.

As for Ian and I.....we have been put out to graze!!

Social source share

ian if you was there in 76 the change in tempo must mean that there must be ome great tunes still in the racks?

so waiting for the backbeats comp!!

I didn't even bother looking through the shelves. Back then we were looking for 100% driving Northern Soul and I believed that Val's stock had been comprehensively picked through already by several knowledgeable people so I knew that Philadelphia had been combed for several years by then, so since I was just passing through I didn't bother digging the shelves 'cos the hit rate for what we were looking for at the time would have been nil. I'd have had a better hit rate at a thrift shop down the road to be honest.

Naturally there would have been TONS of current rarities in there but none of 'em would have made sense back in '76 believe me. Plus, naturally, we thought we knew it all back then.......... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Paul- Too true. I, rather like Ian probably jump to that conclusion.

I found little at Val's when introduced to him in 1975, it didn't stop me finding a handful everytime I went there for a further 15 years.

And that's all well before the R&B, Crossover and Modern goldrush.

If you make it to Val's, I'm sure you'll find something.

As for Ian and I.....we have been put out to graze!!

Also, Val being Val, who was no slouch when it came to spotting vinyl junkies, would have sussed English hounds like me and Kev a mile off, so it would be almost disrespectful to get the sleeves rolled up and start digging where John Anderson had already dug LOL.

This was the guy who told me all the stories about the SERIOUS Doo-Wop collectors for records that were worth thousands of dollars when the Northern scene was still in it's infancy. I couldn't see any bargains being there so I just kicked back and listened to Val's stories which were good enough for me. Bear in mind that both Kev and I had been spoiled by finding unbelievable finds of records @ 10 cents apiece elsewhere so Val Shively's store was never going to be a goldmine for us (no pun intended). The real gold was in that Baltimore cellar that Kev found and some of those garages in L.A. that I went through......

Social source share

And....great to see Val back in 06 at SoultripUSA. I had Kenny Gamble to my left and VS on the right. My whole life evolved right there and then.

He is indeed good company and mind blowingly knowledgeable.

Now off to bed.....I got albums to compile for Mirfield Frank in the morning lol!

Social source share

Pretty sure Chris Penn found the copy of The Jokers on Skofield in Vals, that went to Terry Davis and pretty much paid for his trip...though that may well have been 15+ years ago.

Definately much harder work nowadays, even the R&B stuff has been decimated (though I'm sure Thorsten still scours the place at least twice a year)..... quite a few £300+ 45s have been found in there over recent years...Clarence Hill on Mainstream issues, Teddy Mack on Monroe...not to mention cheaper, but consistant sellers such as a very healthy supply of Billy & Moonlighters on Crystal Ball and a 100 count box of that Stanky shite on Cobblestone that were wedged on the first stairwell...

Should imagine it's still great for unknowns, recent discoveries etc....if you can stand the cats, their litter trays, bending your neck @ 90 degrees to read overly worn card inserts for 8 hours at a time, not to mention standing on ladders 10 feet high with your back pressed againt the opposite shelves!

His prices have definately increased considerably over the last few years.

Vals still a great guy mind, as long as you don't upset him or tread on a cat!

Wouldn't fancy me chances of getting out alive though, if even the smallest of fires ever broke out!

Whilst in Philly....anyone know what happened to John Moores shop...heard it was closed down last year with no further info ?

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Mace

Funnily enough last time i went in there a couple of firemen came in to check on something.They were in full gear and could hardly get to the counter.They had a right eppy fit.Thing is you would be doing well to out eppy Val if he goes off on one. :yes:

Social source share

Mace

Funnily enough last time i went in there a couple of firemen came in to check on something.They were in full gear and could hardly get to the counter.They had a right eppy fit.Thing is you would be doing well to out eppy Val if he goes off on one. :yes:

That would have been a sight to see.......Val chucking Firemen out the building cus they weren't buying owt! :lol:

Social source share

definitely had anger issues !!!!!....mostly directed to us Uk collectors!!!!!!!!!.....my mate mark steadman seemed to get on really well with him though ..... mainly because he can be ignorant stubborn a###hole as well !!! LOL !......sorry steady but you were like to peas from the same pod !!!

franc

Edited by cobbles
Social source share

Moody sod, I'd been going since 1974 and always spent a fair bit with him and got on very well, then ten years down the line he accused me of bringing my record box in to nick stuff; I wasn't gonna leave it on the pavement outside. He nearly got lumped. I never went back. Got the first Jimmy Andrews out of there for $3

Social source share

Hang on, I'll go fetch my hanky. :wicked::thumbsup::D :D :D

Now, now.....Just cus he chucked you and John Kelly out of his shop for making a bigger mess than it already was... :wicked:

Angus tells me he's still there, but apparently nowt can be found in there since 2 mickey mousers misfiled all his stock.... :wink:

Social source share

Remember me and the Essex boy spending 5k in there a few years ago, went back 6 months later and he threw a wobbler when Shifty popped out for a fag....thought we were nicking stuff! Then he is all remorseful and tries to make friends again.

In saying that I really like him 99% of the time despite his anger issues!

Chris

Social source share

Have been to Vals close to a hundred times over the years, slim pickings these days but always a good way to spend a day out of NYC, best thing ever from his regular shelves was a stone mint Hyperions sitting in a marked Chattahoochee section for all of $20 (before he used price guides), nowadays just get oddball stuff and shoot the breeze w Val and Chuck while wondering if the layers of dust and cat hair everywhere can possibly get any thicker!

Social source share

Went to Vals in 76, it was the first time in America so couldn't understand why he wouldn't open his store till the afternoon and as we were flying out at 7pm or so it didn't leave much time for happy hunting. Found a Paul Sindab on Hype which was cool at the time. At the time he wouldn't send records out of he States but i met a local guy in the store who sent me some very nice bits. The biggest favour Val did for me was to tell me about John Taylor's huge stash in Fort Worth for which i'll be ever grateful :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Went about 8 years ago, got a fair stack of 45s. V.S. threw them into two piles 1 pile at $10 and the other at $20 and a couple of odd higher priced ones.

Would of expected a lot better for a store of the size with a regular influx of new/old stock

V.S. liked to comment on his preveous UK customers but was ok. Loads of artist photos on the wall in shop front

Social source share

Now, now.....Just cus he chucked you and John Kelly out of his shop for making a bigger mess than it already was... :wicked:

Angus tells me he's still there, but apparently nowt can be found in there since 2 mickey mousers misfiled all his stock.... :wink:

Ha Ha Ha. What a dump. :D

Social source share

Went about 8 years ago, got a fair stack of 45s. V.S. threw them into two piles 1 pile at $10 and the other at $20 and a couple of odd higher priced ones.

Would of expected a lot better for a store of the size with a regular influx of new/old stock

V.S. liked to comment on his preveous UK customers but was ok. Loads of artist photos on the wall in shop front

I remember walking in there Mick and bumping into you, John Poole and Rob Thomas

Social source share

The last visit i made was 07.Got some nice 70,s bits but was chuffed to get a Love Addict Arctic demo cheap.

Also upstairs i found loads of copies of Tony Owens on Listening Post.Ok you may think not rare per-se but out of all of those orange copies was 1 proper red label copy.Still got it now coz it looks better :yes:

Trev

Social source share

Last went there in 93 - millions of records still, but very little of interest. A few crossover bits after 8 hours, no super rarities to be found. And it was spooky because his little helpers would suddenly appear from behind cupboards and things.

Did get on quite well with Val as it goes. Never went back - is he still going?

Social source share

Myself and Wendy got there as late as the nineties, Val ,Chuck n John all friendly guys, first batch we sorted had Crazy Things, Joe Douglas and Betty Swann Kiss, probably could have paid for the air fare but I still got em now. Loved Philly, ended up on doo wop radio station with the guy who owned the famous philly cheesteak place in the Bourse, and they say Yanks are standoffish, noways, Roman

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Guest Paul Franklin

Spent a great day with Val in 2012. I think if you are in Philly you got pop by for the experience. The stories about his crumpiness are legendary (like the waiters in Wong Kie's in Wardour St) but as other people say he was great fun to shoot the breeze. He could see my face lit up as soon as I walked in.There arent going to be too many places like Vals left soon. (there aint that many left already) Picked up a few bits and pieces including an interesting unissued acetate in his cutouts box. Anyone with a cat allergy forget it. He was up for letting me explore all areas, but you would really want to spend a couple of days to go right through them on the chance of finding some better tunes.

Social source share

Pretty sure Chris Penn found the copy of The Jokers on Skofield in Vals, that went to Terry Davis and pretty much paid for his trip...though that may well have been 15+ years ago.

Definately much harder work nowadays, even the R&B stuff has been decimated (though I'm sure Thorsten still scours the place at least twice a year)..... quite a few £300+ 45s have been found in there over recent years...Clarence Hill on Mainstream issues, Teddy Mack on Monroe...not to mention cheaper, but consistant sellers such as a very healthy supply of Billy & Moonlighters on Crystal Ball and a 100 count box of that Stanky shite on Cobblestone that were wedged on the first stairwell...

Should imagine it's still great for unknowns, recent discoveries etc....if you can stand the cats, their litter trays, bending your neck @ 90 degrees to read overly worn card inserts for 8 hours at a time, not to mention standing on ladders 10 feet high with your back pressed againt the opposite shelves!

His prices have definately increased considerably over the last few years.

Vals still a great guy mind, as long as you don't upset him or tread on a cat!

Wouldn't fancy me chances of getting out alive though, if even the smallest of fires ever broke out!

Whilst in Philly....anyone know what happened to John Moores shop...heard it was closed down last year with no further info ?

Hi Mace it was Stevie z who found the first copies then Chris penn went back i think and found another

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Hi Mace it was Stevie z who found the first copies then Chris penn went back i think and found another

correct, then sold to ginger
Social source share

Went there October 1992 and Val said no one was allowed behind the counter. He also said credit cards weren't welcome so I left empty handed. Since then, stock has increased from two to three million records but as most are Doo Woppy things on ghastly maroon labels, I would imagine sales are rather slow. There's a clip somewhere showing a smirking Val putting a Temptones or something on Arctic into a box to tempt diggers into ploughing through picked over stock - when I read comments like Ady Croasdell's Jimmy Andrews, I know who is having the last smirk...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!