What Is A Mini Allnighter ?

What in the name of all things soulful is a Mini Allnighter ??? - this term really winds me up a treat, as a Mini Allnighter is a Soul Night for Fecks sake, anything finishing before 6am is nothing more nothing less, is this promoters trying to kid thier punters theyre doin a nighter ?.

And while we're at it whats 8 till late - grrrrrrrrr say a flippin time for gods sake, as soon as I see this phrase I automatically assume it will be finishing earlier than your usual soul night & move on.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They usually seem to say a " Mini 'Niter" and not as you put, Mini Allniter. Perhaps they think that by removing the "All" part of the word it saves pedantic hairsplitters like me saying similar to what you're saying? (don't get me started.... ranting_1.gif )

It all started to go horribly wrong when they changed from 2 til 8, to 12.30 til 8 ( hoping some trainspotter will remind me when that was, 74? :lol: )

These days I'm lucky to last 3 hours, that's even if I get there, so I'm a fine one to talk !

Social source share

Russ-at our small club 8 till late means we'll keep playing vinyl until our hosts decide the soul people want their beds, in their words...if enough people want a drink we'll serve them, hence the 8-late slogan on Back2Basics flyers...typical finishing times are 1.15 ish, nothing worse than a strict 12am finish especially if people want to continue dancing...latest entry time strictly applies club policy. Never attended an all-nighter as I would not last the pace.

Atb

Mick

Social source share

I would say an event that goes on to 5am/ 6am is a niter now, just like in Europe.. The 8am events will fade away as folk get towards tartan blankets, nice chair and slippers, many now leave well before the end....

Mini niters are fine by me on a flyer, they tell folk its going on into the well wee hours, way past the time of the soul nights...

peace and love..

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Don't knock it Russ, you're missing a trick with your night, that'd deffo be a 'mini-nighter' or even just a 'nighter' round our way as it finishes after 2am. Anything starting before 6pm is also a 'dayer', even if it finishes at 9pm. :)

I agree though, it's bs

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Who gives a toss what a night is called!!

Some of the threads on here scrape the barrelll these days!!

Thanks very much Nige, scraping the barrel ay, appreciate the vote of confidence mate, however is it too much to ask for clarity on what time a venue finishes ???, unlike some/most on SS when I go to a Nighter its a minimum of a two hour journey, thats EVERY time I go to a nighter, it aint just round the corner. Most Nighters I attend are much further, I think the term mini nighter is misleading & I think the term 'late' is too.......sorry if my post doesnt come up to the standard of discussing Tom Jones's NS monsters & the like......I will add that I have just edited this before posting, as I'm quite angry at your response to what is a valid question & have tempered my response some what.

Thanks again & sorry to scrape the NS barrel.

Best Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks very much Nige, scraping the barrel ay, appreciate the vote of confidence mate, however is it too much to ask for clarity on what time a venue finishes ???, unlike some/most on SS when I go to a Nighter its a minimum of a two hour journey, thats EVERY time I go to a nighter, it aint just round the corner. Most Nighters I attend are much further, I think the term mini nighter is misleading & I think the term 'late' is too.......sorry if my post doesnt come up to the standard of discussing Tom Jones's NS monsters & the like......I will add that I have just edited this before posting, as I'm quite angry at your response to what is a valid question & have tempered my response some what.

Best Russ

Quite like Mini nighters, but have found myself wanting more on a few occasions. Avoid ''till late'' nights like the plague, because they rarely are, much prefer an end time so that I can make an informed decision. I can remember this topic coming up before, and seem to recall that nights that finished at 6 in the morning weren't considered nighters by everybody in the traditional sense of the word.

Social source share

Chill Nige :lol:

When you look at the basics of northern (outside of new sounds) there's very little that hasn't been discussed before, it can be a bit 'groundhog' day, from time to time, but we have to take into account, people are joining source all the time, so maybe haven't seen/read/contributed to these topics in the past.

As always mate, it's ''enjoy what you enjoy'' x

Social source share

Guest daz mycroft

Is it a soul night for lovers of the Small Car, "Omo only" Obviously owners of the New Mini wiill be frowned upon and looked down upon by the Original Mini Only Brigade. :g:

Social source share

The reason I revisited this again is because I had noticed recently that there were more mini events being advertised. I might also add, that when I enquired recently what time a 'late' promotion would actually finish I received no reply.

I have no problem at all what time a promotion finishes, I would just like it made clear in the advertising & to be fair most mini do's do state the finish time, however I'm quite within in my rights to say I dont like the term mini allnighter or mini nighter, because for me if it finishes before 6am its a soul night, my opinion, would like to hear other opinions, particularly if it has changed since this was last discussed, what I wasnt aware of, was that I was scraping the barrel.

Best Russ

Social source share

Can see your point Russ but it really doesn't bother me what people call their event, it's the music that matters.

I think people say mini-nighter just to let people know that they finish later than a normal soulnight. My understanding is a 4am finish. I could be wrong but that's what I take it to be. Some of these mini-nighters offer the full 8 hours and that used to be what an allnighter gave you.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Took me a while, but just to be pedantic Nige 'Jack Duckworth RIP' :lol: ......pot, kettle, one all & I'll call it a day, its all about opinions & no ones is more important than anyone elses :wink: .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The reason I revisited this again is because I had noticed recently that there were more mini events being advertised. I might also add, that when I enquired recently what time a 'late' promotion would actually finish I received no reply.

I have no problem at all what time a promotion finishes, I would just like it made clear in the advertising & to be fair most mini do's do state the finish time, however I'm quite within in my rights to say I dont like the term mini allnighter or mini nighter, because for me if it finishes before 6am its a soul night, my opinion, would like to hear other opinions, particularly if it has changed since this was last discussed, what I wasnt aware of, was that I was scraping the barrel.

Best Russ

You say you have no problem with what time a promotion finishes, as long as it is stated clearly in the advertising,

But if the finishing time is stated clearly in the advertising but it's labled a 'mini nighter' you now have a problem,

Hence what I think snapper Brown meant with his question 'who gives a toss what anight is called?'

In that context I think he has a point

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Mini Nighter is a great reason to be able to bump the price up cos most of the time the bar shut at 1am anyway and its just a few djs trying to get more deck time, i prefer a 2am finish for a soul night or a 6/7 or 8 am finish for a nighter anyhting else inbetween is jsut a soul night

Social source share

You say you have no problem with what time a promotion finishes, as long as it is stated clearly in the advertising,

But if the finishing time is stated clearly in the advertising but it's labled a 'mini nighter' you now have a problem,

Hence what I think snapper Brown meant with his question 'who gives a toss what anight is called?'

In that context I think he has a point

Sorry I dont care any more.....

Byeeeeeeee

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

oh and ive given up caring anyway but agree with Russ, dont matter what its called as long as a start and finish time is clear on advertising

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The Dome always felt like a nighter to me, the travelling, the 3am finish, the nighter sounds, the nighter people, getting home around 6 in the morning. I treated it like a nighter, but in terms of finish time it was a soul night. In all but length it was a nighter and it's remembered in the same breath as other venues that were nighters. It was much more than a 'soul night'.

Social source share

Mini Nighter is a great reason to be able to bump the price up cos most of the time the bar shut at 1am anyway and its just a few djs trying to get more deck time, i prefer a 2am finish for a soul night or a 6/7 or 8 am finish for a nighter anyhting else inbetween is jsut a soul night

A night close to my heart starts at 8pm, has a 4am finish, a bar til 3am and £5 admission. We don't say we are a soulnight or a mini-nighter.

I do agree with the point about not specifying an end time though. I automatically think it will be early rather than later.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

A night close to my heart starts at 8pm, has a 4am finish, a bar til 3am and £5 admission. We don't say we are a soulnight or a mini-nighter.

I do agree with the point about not specifying an end time though. I automatically think it will be early rather than later.

of course Joan there is the odd exception :D

i have found some mini nighters to have dragged on too long and by the end hardly anyone there as most are just trreating it as a soul night and on the other foot ive been to a mini nighter wherre you want it to go on for a few more hours cos it is actually more like a nighter, but then i guess thats probably down to the music being played,

Hey Russ a mini nighter dont sound like to bad a thing the less you think abiout it :lol:

Social source share

If people don't like a thread, why do they feel the need to tell everybody by posting. Why not just move onto another one?

same question, why bother

all they do is just bump up the thread and bring in a negative vibe

i'd say its a useful term when used a certain way

like at past lowtons as it let ya know if was a normal or early hours finish

suppose same as any other term on here , more it gets used the wider the meaning

Social source share

of course Joan there is the odd exception :D

i have found some mini nighters to have dragged on too long and by the end hardly anyone there as most are just trreating it as a soul night and on the other foot ive been to a mini nighter wherre you want it to go on for a few more hours cos it is actually more like a nighter, but then i guess thats probably down to the music being played,

Hey Russ a mini nighter dont sound like to bad a thing the less you think abiout it :lol:

I have to say a lot of the time I am ready to head home around 5 or 6am. Nighters that go on until 8am are too much for me these days. 6am finish is just right.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What in the name of all things soulful is a Mini Allnighter ??? - this term really winds me up a treat, as a Mini Allnighter is a Soul Night for Fecks sake, anything finishing before 6am is nothing more nothing less, is this promoters trying to kid thier punters theyre doin a nighter ?.

And while we're at it whats 8 till late - grrrrrrrrr say a flippin time for gods sake, as soon as I see this phrase I automatically assume it will be finishing earlier than your usual soul night & move on.

Best Russ

Good thread Russ! :thumbsup:

The Dome used to finish at 3 and that was a soul night. Bisley anniversary finishes at 4 and is billed as a mini nighter. Hmm that extra hour makes all the difference!

'8 till late' means 8 till 12, but they'd like you to think it finishes at 1 or later. Make it plain!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good thread Russ! :thumbsup:

The Dome used to finish at 3 and that was a soul night. Bisley anniversary finishes at 4 and is billed as a mini nighter. Hmm that extra hour makes all the difference!

'8 till late' means 8 till 12, but they'd like you to think it finishes at 1 or later. Make it plain!

Bisley, Willington, Prestwich, Lowton, all of them had a 4 O'clock finish from time to time, liked them all. The Dome, as Matt said always felt like a nighter, but then again, who actually goes to bed straight after having been to any soul related function :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Best Russ

I really wasnt having a pop at you personally Russ,,,

I just thought 99% of us on here by now would KNOW what a Mini Niter is and usually around what time they finish!!

Also i thought it may open the door for for stupid remarks and pictures which it did!

Thats all ,,,,

Nige

PS I still miss Jack Duckworth ,,, lovely you had the time to search that one out :P:wave::thumbsup:

Social source share

I have to say a lot of the time I am ready to head home around 5 or 6am. Nighters that go on until 8am are too much for me these days. 6am finish is just right.

A lot of people leave nighters around 4 or 5 (Nothing wrong in that - it's their choice and at least they're supporting) I think if a nighter finishes at 6.00am a lot of those people would most probably make the effort to stay till the end which would finish off a night slightly better than just half the attendees left (IMHO) of course!

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

A lot of people leave nighters around 4 or 5 (Nothing wrong in that - it's their choice and at least they're supporting) I think if a nighter finishes at 6.00am a lot of those people would most probably make the effort to stay till the end which would finish off a night slightly better than just half the attendees left (IMHO) of course! All the best, Len.

Agree 100%.

I am guilty of crying off early if it goes on until 8 but definitely inclined more to stay until the end if it finishes at 6.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agree 100%.

I am guilty of crying off early if it goes on until 8 but definitely inclined more to stay until the end if it finishes at 6.

I struggle these days with a nightr but I do work 60 to 70 hours most weeks and often away from home, 4 am will do me these days. If I worked normal hours etc then a nighter wouldn't be a problem.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Best Russ

Mini allnighter is where the venue has a deal with the local travel lodge....so instead of it going pete tong at 4,it goes pete tong at 2......then you can get tucked up in your jimjams with a nice mug of horlicks and safe and sound from the bogey man :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Best Russ

Be a dj mate they never stay all night mini or otherwise :D:thumbsup:

Social source share

I personally welcome mini nighters ( 3-am finish) because that few hours getting home earlier makes such a difference to my ageing bones. Plus I have a difficult job to hold down so I need to keep clear head if I want to keep bread on the table. I can't afford to lose Sunday just to recover.

But I am easy going if you want to stay until 7am thats your choice .. just respect mine , surley some of you have better things to do than act as the soul police and watch what I time people leave ? really that is sad .

Plus you can have the most brilliant Ooooooooooooooooooola la moment at 4am :):wub:

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Official site view as event Mod - If it finishes before 6am it's a Soul night & should be posted as a Soul night & NOT in the all nighter forum.

My personal view - If it finishes before 6am it's a Soul night but I'm a Modern fan too so I shy home at about 2am as I like my sleep when it's still dark :sleep3::D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I struggle these days with a nightr but I do work 60 to 70 hours most weeks and often away from home, 4 am will do me these days. If I worked normal hours etc then a nighter wouldn't be a problem.

Also the smart money will always take age into consideration. I can party with the best of 'em as I've consistently proved over the last 40 odd years. If I'm particularly energised and of a certain frame of mind I'll happily party all night and into the next day no problem. But at 57 years old these days, I'm more likely to knock off at 3.00-5.00am because I'm not 18 anymore, so these mini-nighters tick my boxes. I start slowing down @ 4.00am anyway as miuch as I hate to admit it... :lol:

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share