Rare Soul Acetate 45 Lorraine Chandler I Love You, Baby On Ebay

I've sent Loraine the link so hopefully she will say something soon.

The address on the acetate tells you something wrong to me.

Du you mean as evidence it's Soussan Chalky? If that's the case (as it probably is) I wonder why it isn't a 'DCT Recorders' acetate like most of his other Soul Fox Productions?

Maybe he had a bad leg and couldn't walk to the other end of Sunset Boulevard...

Social source share

Du you mean as evidence it's Soussan Chalky? If that's the case (as it probably is) I wonder why it isn't a 'DCT Recorders' acetate like most of his other Soul Fox Productions?

Maybe he had a bad leg and couldn't walk to the other end of Sunset Boulevard...

Not so much as evidence of involvement from Soussan although there's a strong case, just that I wouldn't have thought this would have got near Hollywood atb the time.

Social source share

Simon Soussan used that label (with the Allen Zentz studio address), a lot on the mid-to-late 70's - all those Frank Beverly - She Loves Me (BK Markus) and Sally George - Misunderstanding acetates that were floating about were identical.

I say "Sally George" but all the copies I ever saw had the artist scratched out and Sally George was the name attributed to them, either handwritten on the label, or the cover, so it was probably a second generation a made up name. Either way whoever Sally George was, it was probably the same artist as Love You Baby)

Social source share

Well it was released on Black Magic in the UK, along side his Sharonettes Disco Duck stuff, so at the time I would imagine loads of people bought it (one of Lorraine's Real songs was on the B side - think it was "What Can I Do)

I didn't even realise it was the same cut as the BM one :facepalm:

In my defence though, I've not heard it in a lot of years...

Social source share

Well it was released on Black Magic in the UK, along side his Sharonettes Disco Duck stuff, so at the time I would imagine loads of people bought it (one of Lorraine's Real songs was on the B side - think it was "What Can I Do)

Cheers for that Mick :thumbsup:

Social source share

I remember buying one thinking it was Lorraine on vocal when I handed my (pocket) money over.

I know there are a lot of rose tinted specs about SS,, but IMO he was nothing but a w@nker, responsible for the demise of the quality soul at Wigan for one thing, luckily, not all dj's were in his pocket & some had principles.

Aid.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Soussan deffo had links with Allen Zentz in the late 70s

The Pattie Brooks albums were mastered at Allen Zentz

Our Ms Brooks

Love Shock - Pattie Brooks and the Simon Orchestra :lol:

Google allen zentz soussan

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Eddie Parker and Lorraine Chandler "Love you baby" the great vocals of LC areon this one...

ktf

tfk :rofl:

Forget that nice but forgettable track on the LP and fly directly to If You Must Go, which incredibly is not as good as the original (although have only heard original version a couple of times) but an absolute sublime piece of music that makes the world and all the life threatening problems in the world, like OVO or not, baggies or not, just fade away.

Reminds me why Love this music!

Oh and Mr TFK just answered your email, finally!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

mike i dont think thia acetate has anything to do with soussan they were done by chocolate city, i have one thay must have been tom moultons copy as hes written his opinion on the cover

yep maybe not, but does sort of fit in with same time frame

also am fairly sure ian d mentioned something about simon soussan and cameo/players or maybe writer johnny melfi in a past post

and would guess simon soussan had something to do with its inclusion in film

so a sort of connect to the "love you baby" showing on similar acetate.. maybe ?

(reread earlier posts and see that other connections to acetate already been said so my post is a bit surplus)

Edited by mike
Social source share

Sorry it took so long to reply but I am just now seeing this. I would like to hear it because I did write a song call I Love You Baby which is different than the Love You Baby I wrote for Eddie Parker. I've sent and e-mail to Ady Croasdell and Jack Ashford in case it is the former because it was never released.

And for the record, I only recorded the duet with Eddie on his song Love You Baby. Anything else that uses my name as the artist singing Love You Baby is a forgery.

Lorraine

• Helpful 3
Social source share

post-8628-0-26055700-1331285197_thumb.jp

Here's Tony Cummings' review from Black Music, July '75.... shows that everyone was suckered into the Soussan story.

Hi Wrongcrowd,

Thanks for story. How horribly misleading. Having Eddie's picture there sort of validates his song, but I was the writer of the song, not the singer.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!