Obscure - unusual Foreign Releases

Tubbs

• Replies 940
  • Views 137.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest DELORENZO

I do have nearly the complete listing of Ray Charles french EP's, I need 2 :( and was very surprised when I popsiked the EP with "Mess Around" on, do people pay that ??

Social source share

I do have nearly the complete listing of Ray Charles french EP's, I need 2 :( and was very surprised when I popsiked the EP with "Mess Around" on, do people pay that ??

Whow...you have all the 56 others Ray Charles french 4 tracks Ep's?...nice!

"Mess around" is not so easy to find on 50's original US yellow Atlantic...so the French ep can do it

Social source share

Guest DELORENZO

I think there's actually 59, if you include the 2 with Milt Jackson & Betty Carter, and another what evades me at the moment without looking, that does not appear in Daniel Delorme's book. But as always I am probably wrong and there's 60 odd lol

Social source share

Guest DELORENZO

Had to put myself out of misery and go and look, the one missing in the book is the Atlantic EP 212 050 - Drown in my own tears

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Meant to return to this earlier today on ebay but forgot. Was on for strating bid of $49.99, which I thought would be too much . . . but I like these Motown curios. Anyway, not mine. If anyone has any notion of estimated price I'd be interested to hear. Portuguese

post-5677-0-55062100-1305731908_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-89347200-1305731910_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-25059000-1305731913_thumb.jp

love the artwork on the sleeve.
Social source share

Meant to return to this earlier today on ebay but forgot. Was on for strating bid of $49.99, which I thought would be too much . . . but I like these Motown curios. Anyway, not mine. If anyone has any notion of estimated price I'd be interested to hear. Portuguese

post-5677-0-55062100-1305731908_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-89347200-1305731910_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-25059000-1305731913_thumb.jp

Can't find a reply from me on this post, so i'll add one now (only took me 12 months to do so).

I bought one for £10 a few years back, so $50 does sound a bit on the heavy side - having said that I don't know how many were pressed and sold in Portugal - but I'd guess a lot less than UK EPs and look at the price some of those fetch.

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Especially like the Monster Mash on Aussie Demo, as well as these that generally get your Aussie collectors drooling.

Oddly enough Mal, every one of that bunch also made it out in Japan...I have them all...except the 'Monster Mash'...I almost feel like looking out for that one now!

:thumbup:

Social source share

Oddly enough Mal, every one of that bunch also made it out in Japan...I have them all...except the 'Monster Mash'...I almost feel like looking out for that one now!

:thumbup:

Tell you what I have got Dave that you might like, Chuck Jackson - Any Day Now, on Red or rouge Festival, demo with 1962 release date, think it was a friday, stunning looking thing, i'll get it scanned.

m

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Some more Japanese copies...all spare copies if anyone is interested...PM me :wave:

Just revisiting this fascinating thread when I noticed flip side to the Japanese version of The Horse different from the usual issue - apologies if any other eagle eyed reader spotted the phonetic translation used (gave up at page 4) - check it out at posting #127 on page 3

Love is All Light - p***ed myself !

Edited by GrayM
Social source share

Guest DELORENZO

A Test Press or something ?? of Little Stevie Wonder's rare French EP - Riviera 231 080, I do like things like thispost-8716-0-81104300-1340217411_thumb.jppost-8716-0-87173500-1340217424_thumb.jp

Social source share

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I picked up the following in New Zealand 3 years ago, all NZ originals:

SOLOMON BURKE: Stupidity (Atlantic)

FRED HUGHES: Oo Wee Baby, I Love You (Fontana)

LEE GRANT: Movin' Away (HMV) - same as Kenny Lynch

THE JEWELS: Gotta Find A Way (Colpix)

AD LIBS: The Boy From New York City (Pye)

GENE CHANDLER: Duke Of Earl (Top Rank)

WILBERT HARRISON: Kansas City (Top Rank)

THE SHIRELLES: Soldier Boy (Top Rank)

LITTLE ANTHONY & THE IMPERIALS: Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop (Top Rank)

MAJOR LANCE: The Monkey TIme (Columbia - green label)

JIMMY RUFFIN: What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted (Stateside)

SUPREMES: Nothing But Heartaches (Tamla Motown - neat looking red label!)

BARBARA GEORGE: I Know (London)

CHRIS KENNER: I Like It Like That (London)

SAM COOKE: You Send Me (London)

GENE McDANIELS: Hit After Hit (Liberty LP).

...plus about 100 other pop/rock n'roll 45s from the 50s/60s!!

One shop owner allowed me to go through some unsorted stock in the back of the shop, but refused to sell me "Since I Found My Baby" by the Metros on NZ RCA (red spot), after he played it, saying it was going straight into his collection!! He was armed with the US Goldmine Price Guide, where it was valued at $150, so I guess that must have influenced his decision!

Gene

PS - it's gone quiet.....I was waiting for Agent Double R-Soul to say "There are 20,000 soul records pressed in Australia, and I've got every one of them twice!!!"

George? he probably has, but it's the existence of a 4th Nolan Porter on Aussie Pink Probe which is the burning question...

Mal. :elvis:

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Why restrict posts to just info on 45's ..............

It may not have been politically correct, but quite a few US soul singers (Percy Sledge, C L Blast, etc.) went down to Sth Africa to perform in the 70's (at Sun City and similar venues).

Some got involved with local musicians whilst there, the main one being C L Blast. He went into the recording studio with locals & laid down tracks that he supervised (producing & the like).

He also cut a full LP of tracks there which was only released in SA ... this contains some decent tracks.

In addition to his 'solo' album, a couple of tracks were lifted from it to go on a compilation V.A. LP .... one of the other tracks (by a local) also included on this VA album has a distinct US soul feel to it and I believe that this was due to input from CL.

Other decent VA compilation albums were released around the world. Lots with 'unusual' tracks included on them (Sth American countries had their own popular US soul tracks) & so there are some nice items to be found on albums put out down there.

Social source share

Just about the most obscure of records are the late 78's (early to mid 60's) from countries such as Pakistan, India & the Philippines (maybe more countries as well; Singapore & the like ?).

EMI were a strong force in the likes of Pakistan & India and so lots of UK pop (+ US stuff licensed in by EMI UK) escaped in those areas, but sales figures weren't huge at the time & many of the discs have broken down the years.

Seems to have been lots of different Coral, RCA, Imperial, Columbia, Decca, Sun, MGM , Cameo & Parkway plus some Motown stuff made available there.

Most folk don't collect 78's though lots of 40's / 50's jazz cuts are collectable coz they are the 'original format' for those tracks.

Here's a montage of some interesting Philippine 78's .......

post-22122-0-83104000-1353013244_thumb.j

Social source share

Of course a couple of the Philippines Motown 78's are well documented, but what about the more obscure Philippines Cameo & Parkway 78 releases ?

Were there any Sam Cooke 78's on RCA released there ?

Any Jackie Wilson 78's on Coral (or Decca) ?

Have discogs been drawn up for 45 & 78 releases from the 60's in the likes of Singapore, Pakistan, India & the Philippines ??

post-22122-0-94400400-1353013923_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

It might be a good idea to try & post up a scan of soul 45's put out by say EMI in countries from around the world.

Most big labels had representatives in many different countries and EMI were no different as they had licensees in many countries ......

... but EMI also had a 'global spread' itself, having wholly owned branches in numerous different countries.

These countries where EMI operated owned subsiduary's included the following :- US, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Jamaica, Barbados, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Ireland, France, Denmark, Sweden, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Lebanon, Pakistan, India, Hong Kong, Singapore / Malaysia, Australia & New Zealand.

I think EMI was represented in Germany by another company though 45's did escape there on 'look-alike' EMI labels (Tamla Motown for instance). In some other countries, the local company would release EMI related 45's on their own labels rather than using a copy of the original UK label.

Following a lead from the UK, in areas where the company had an owned subsiduary, EMI would release stuff on their usual labels (Parlophone,Stateside, Tamla Motown, etc.).

So there will be soul 45's on the likes of the Stateside label in well over 20 countries I'd say.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest veep1296

EDDIE PARKER LOVE YOU BABY STONE CANADIAN

BOBBY WILLIAMS IVE ONLY GOT MYSELF TO BLAME DERBY ITALIAN

FRANK BEVERLY IF THATS WHAT YOU WANTED GAMBLE ITALIAN

JERRY WILLIAMS IF YOU ASK ME EXIT SPANISH

LENNY CURTIS ON SPANISH ...............

loads on German Coral.

Dave Flynn has hundreds on Japanese..

Nigel Loveless & other in Oz have major Oz & NZ collections

DF

Social source share

Back to the Philippines for a second or two ..........

The US military always had a large presence in the Philippines. The US navy had a big base at Subic Bay, whilst Clark Air Force Base was the home for 100's of American pilots. During the 60's (& into the 70's during the Virtnam War era) 1000's of Americans were either based there or took 'rest leave' on the islands.

Because of this, American entertainers were regular visitors, with this fact being reflected in the number of records by American artists that were issued there.

As early as 1962, the likes of Dee Dee Sharp & Tito Puete did shows there .....................

post-22122-0-09677300-1353057549_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!