People Using The Term " Og " As Original

Pete S

I'm pretty sure the word actually does date back to the Ice-T song O.G. as in "original gangsta" and evolved into an abbreviation for original over time. You might think people who are into records might use it because they're into rap but actually its use is pretty mainstream now, I think I even heard it used on antiques roadshow.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I still need someone to explain to me how the word Original can be abbreviated to OG.

Keep seeing it in peoples sales especially on ebay.

It's starting to win me up nearly as much as B-B-Q.

Never heard the expression!

:facepalm:

Social source share

I never understood the use of 'OG' outside of the limited area of rap and hip hop sampling. Considering that a lot of the people using this term are not well versed in what true 'originals' are - they often seem to be using it for some non specified copy of the source of the sample or beat, rather than the actual original issue of a record that's been available in various editions - at least that hase been my experience as someone from the outside looking in. I guess it seems to be everywhere but that doesn't mean I need to use it or respect it.

Yeah, a lot of the current buzz words like 'vinyl', 'digger', 'crate', etc sound stupid to me but it's understandable that a generation who did not grow up with records needs to come up with a new lexicon for them. They sound dumber spoken then they do written in a conversational forum like this. Sometimes I feel like carrying a dirty shovel so I can hand it to someone if they ask me if I'm a 'digger' or a 'crate digger'. Besides 'holy grail' - talk about a tired cliche phrase - I've heard 'white whale' as well - at first I thought they were talking about the record label but it was really a Moby Dick reference to an illusive sought after item. The older generation has some dumb terms as well - 'piece' being one that always bugged me, such as 'that record is a rare piece' - the only 'piece' I want is followed by 'of cake' - not to mention it's also slang for handgun.

My favorite - 'pants wettingly rare'! :rofl:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I still need someone to explain to me how the word Original can be abbreviated to OG.

It means Own Goal if you buy it ! :D
Social source share

Pete , I have an Holy Grail , OG B-B-Q for sale if interested , once owned by the Carstairs !! if you're interested? :lol:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Bob is right. And its prevalence shows how much of the collecting world is dominated by people who came up buying funk and soul on the back of wanting to get hold of the samples from hip hop records from the so called 'golden age'. In my mind it's far less annoying - though probably just as ridiculous - as OVO.

Social source share

Bob is right. And its prevalence shows how much of the collecting world is dominated by people who came up buying funk and soul on the back of wanting to get hold of the samples from hip hop records from the so called 'golden age'. In my mind it's far less annoying - though probably just as ridiculous - as OVO.

I partly agree, but also think that words tend to be used and catch on and spread if they're functional. "OG" is shorter than saying original, is easily said (vs. "orig"), and probably as short as you could get since saying "O" probably wouldn't work. If they're now using the word on antiques roadshow to evaluate a sword, I doubt that sword collecting was influenced by hiphop. Also you could pretend that OG is taken from OriGinal. By now the word is close to being stripped from its original roots.

Other slang becomes mainstream pretty fast, I swear I've even seen someone on the news describe something as "sick" (and the popularity of poker, whether or not they invented the term, helped push it along a lot, because they say "sick hand" a lot... I don't know if Poker became big in the UK as it did in the US for about 5-10 years).

OVO is an acronym that only makes sense within a specific scene at a specific time (and maybe on a specific message board). I could be wrong but I'm guessing it won't catch on and be used for other things. Except for the name of the new cirque du soleil show, but I don't think they got that from here.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!