Which Dj's On The Northern Soul Scene Have Got The Balance Right

Guest allnightandy

Guest allnightandy

The Colin Curtis thread has got me thinking

some agree , some disagree so who on the scene has got the balance just about right to satisfy the majority at their soul gigs

My recent limited knowledge tells me that Ginger Taylor has just about the correct mix

and imho Before he retired Kenny Burrell was more to my liking

so who do you rate or not rate inline with your tastes ?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

good question,depends on what you want......"something for everyone" does not work as whats the point of 2 or 3 tunes or one set at a nighter that floats ya boat......l prefer a defined music policy then you know what ya getting (all the dj,s playing from the same hymn sheet all night) to me thats proper!!.....so again depends on what kinda night you like......big oldies scene they mainly got it all wrong cause it,s about the dj,s up on stage not the music.....for me a fella that always gets it right, KILLA , tell im what ya want and you get it and he plays to the club he,s been asked to dj at and dosn,t dj at clubs that don,t play his music.....spot on!!....wish a few more knew how to say YES and NO in the right order :thumbsup::D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest soul elite

Sean Chapman, Dave Rimmer, Johnny Weston,Ted Massey, Lou Woods (in no particular order).If these people are playing then I know I'll be dancing alot!!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The DJs who try to please everyone are the worst in my opinion. I hate hearing a set lurching from 60s, to RnB to modern to funk etc... Very few DJs can do it well and i'd rather hear six different sets than one set trying to play 'across the board' (in fact I avoid places that advertise as across the board). I'd rather have a good DJ stick to a couple of styles than have 'balance' whatever that means.

The one DJ I know who has an ear for a fluid and mixed set is Pat Bleasdale. Read her playlist from Rugby, perfect. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

good question,depends on what you want......"something for everyone" does not work as whats the point of 2 or 3 tunes or one set at a nighter that floats ya boat......l prefer a defined music policy then you know what ya getting (all the dj,s playing from the same hymn sheet all night) to me thats proper!!.....so again depends on what kinda night you like......big oldies scene they mainly got it all wrong cause it,s about the dj,s up on stage not the music.....for me a fella that always gets it right, KILLA , tell im what ya want and you get it and he plays to the club he,s been asked to dj at and dosn,t dj at clubs that don,t play his music.....spot on!!....wish a few more knew how to say YES and NO in the right order :thumbsup::D

Well said Terry. Agree about Killa.

Social source share

The DJs who try to please everyone are the worst in my opinion. I hate hearing a set lurching from 60s, to RnB to modern to funk etc... Very few DJs can do it well and i'd rather hear six different sets than one set trying to play 'across the board' (in fact I avoid places that advertise as across the board). I'd rather have a good DJ stick to a couple of styles than have 'balance' whatever that means.

The one DJ I know who has an ear for a fluid and mixed set is Pat Bleasdale. Read her playlist from Rugby, perfect. :thumbsup:

Obviously didnt go to Lea Manor then you may have changed your mind

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Some of the Djs need to start listening and watching,at Butlins in the crazy horse a couple of them really did know how to kill a night,one completely emptied the floor then spat his dummy out telling us what song it was,that was on the Saturday,Sunday we gets this dude telling us we dont need to be dancing all night" save yourselves till later", and thats when the whole club wants to be in party mode.Anybody could have filled the floor Sunday night it was harder to empty it but this joker did.Snowy was top boy for me on the two days he was on.

Social source share

across the board sets probably work best at oldies nights as that crowd want to dance to tracks they know and grew up with whatever the style....

i can have a good time at oldies nights as long as the dj has some enthusiasm for what hes playing like sean chapman but what really gets me isrnb and uptempo northern with the odd beautiful mid tempo for a breather! some i know,some i can only dream of owning and others i dont know so give me des and ted !!

dean

Social source share

P.s - What D.J or type of soul music you like is obviously down to personal taste. 'Across the board' works for some as at least this type of night attracts more people which obviously gives a place atmosphere. Great if you get a busy night where it's all to your taste though and everyone in the room is on the same wave length.

Len.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Obviously didnt go to Lea Manor then you may have changed your mind

No I didn't Ted. Wasn't it mostly modern there though? Not my cup of tea.

Btw your set at Rugby was brilliant, if we are talking about true balance and not the balance that some DJs try and achieve, it had it all. :thumbsup:

Social source share

No I didn't Ted. Wasn't it mostly modern there though? Not my cup of tea.

Btw your set at Rugby was brilliant, if we are talking about true balance and not the balance that some DJs try and achieve, it had it all. :thumbsup:

no it wasnt matt it was a mixture of everything at and at the time was the top soul night in the country and led the way i am biased thou but i think most people would agree ,

your very kind Matt praise indeed, i was really up or it after playing an oldies set at loughboro

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Pat B.....is right up there as well top spinner!!!

Social source share

Do you mean, a D.J that plays in such a way that the majority of the crowd are entertained but gets the 'balance' right between fresh tunes they want to play and what people are familiar with?

If so - For me also, Soul Sam along with many others, most of which have been doing it a few years as it takes lots of experience to master such a skill and even the best D.J's can still have 'off' days.

I've seen Sam start with soulful funk, take us on a 'journey' and finish with some great 60's oldies, really playing the floor correctly. He did a fantastic set at the final Pemberton Centre and seemed to please everyone, which at a local Soul Night is one hell of an achievement!

All the best,

Len.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Trying to stick purely at a DJ level (i.e. not getting into genre based arguements about forward thinking Vs oldies events, and promoters picking dj's for such reasons)...............

I'd go with the following:

UK - Pat Bleasdale, Ted Massey, Mick H, Karl Rhodes

Europe - Marc Forrest, Yann Vatiste (although technically he's UK these days)

All teh above have the ability to blend a mixed set together seamlessly and deliver 'something for everyone' without sacrficing on quality and flow, ergo striking an excellent balance.

I could've mentioned a few others who don't get the big gigs, but these are the one's in the spotlight.

I tend to find folk like Ginger Taylor etc lean too much one way in their sets, almost a bit predictable, which to me goes against the meaning of the word balance. Nothing personal against him of course, just my view on this topic as it's been laid out.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

ONLY A COUPLE!

MARK DOBSON!

A DYSON (MOSTLY)

THE BARNFATHER MOSTLY

AND CHRIS FLETCHER (CLASSIC SOUL SOURCE)

Edited by enchantedrythm
Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

ONLY A COUPLE!

MARK DOBSON!

A DYSON (MOSTLY)

THE BARNFATHER MOSTLY

AND CHRIS FLETCHER (CLASSIC SOUL SOURCE)

CANT REALLY LEAVE JOAN OUT

ONLY NEW RECORDS (AND MAYBE RECORDINGS) COUNT AS WITHOUT THEM WE HAVE DISSAPEARED UP OUR A---HOLES

PROGRESSION IS THE KEY

THERES MORE UNKNOWN TUNES OUT THERE THAN YOU CAN EVER IMAGINE-BIT LIKE THE UNIVERSE

Social source share

There's a difference between which someone's favourite D.J is and what D.J gets the balance right though isn't there? In saying this, I suppose it goes hand in hand because if they can't get the balance right they're not a great D.J really are they?

There are D.J's that are never out of their 'comfort' zone so don't often have to adapt. You could say, some have an easy audience and may possibly fail if faced with a crowd they are not used to.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Not forgetting D.Jing is no easy task! - Christ that 'balance' is so hard to achieve. The D.J's get knocked if they play the 'same ol', same ol' they get knocked if they play something a bit 'left field' they even get knocked for the sake of being knocked! So hats off to those who put themselves through it week in, week out as I don't think many could do it that often as well as the ones we all view in high regard.

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Do you mean, a D.J that plays in such a way that the majority of the crowd are entertained but gets the 'balance' right between fresh tunes they want to play and what people are familiar with?

If so - For me also, Soul Sam along with many others, most of which have been doing it a few years as it takes lots of experience to master such a skill and even the best D.J's can still have 'off' days.

I've seen Sam start with soulful funk, take us on a 'journey' and finish with some great 60's oldies, really playing the floor correctly. He did a fantastic set at the final Pemberton Centre and seemed to please everyone, which at a local Soul Night is one hell of an achievement!

All the best,

Len.

Len go and weld summat up will ya :lol:

Social source share

Len go and weld summat up will ya :lol:

He He, I was just thinking I look like I'm talking to myself! lol - Yes, it's been a very quiet afternoon here at L.D Fabs....Gawd, I hope the phone rings soon... :lol:

Right, that's the last I have to say on the matter! (Honest)....I'm off to find another thread... :yes:

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

to get the balance right a dj must be able to adapt to the music of the club he/she is playing at,but as dj,s hopefully buy records of a certain type because thats what THEY themslves like it stands to reason they won,t suit lots of venues....to get it right,they must keep their djing to those clubs that play what they like................or they end up with the punters asking "who's that djing" to their pal who usually replies PETE TONG!!!........as thats how it,s usually gone.

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Without a shadow of a doubt... MARK 'BUTCH' DOBSON, RICHARD SEARLING, ADEY CROASDELL... Looking at this topic more widely I think a lot of DJ's get it spot on depending on the venue and the music policy. Different punters attend different venues for what they want to hear.. People like Steve Green, Karl Rhodes, Cliff Steele, Mick H, Andy Dyson and Joan Livesey to name a few get it spot on every time..

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

Having only really started my "education" / "journey" of some of the many great nights & niters outside my home county when I can this last 12-18 months (I'm now officially Len's driver and saving him a small fortune in taxi fares :lol:), I still keep an open mind when it comes to a venue and DJ's...both the BIG established national names and also the more locally based DJ's / collectors...who can be equally great to my ears and tastes at times.

Got to agree with some of the above names whom I've now seen and heard a few times (even one or two, like Soul Sam, I've had the pleasure to speak with at length about some records and stuff and hope they can pass on some "knowledge"....and some affordable records!). Sam sure like playing with the balance and EQ settings from what I've seen :D , but I think gets the music balance right every time from what I've experienced.

Whether its collectors who are also DJ's or DJ's who are sort of collectors, those who put themselves up there week in week out, invest so much of their income and time on soul and have a following / try their best to give people a good hour or so of what they passionately believe to be great soul music, whether it be local or national....long may it continue, as I for one am loving this in my life. :yes:

Cheers, Steve.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Without a shadow of a doubt... MARK 'BUTCH' DOBSON, RICHARD SEARLING, ADEY CROASDELL... Looking at this topic more widely I think a lot of DJ's get it spot on depending on the venue and the music policy. Different punters attend different venues for what they want to hear.. People like Steve Green, Karl Rhodes, Dave Abbott, Cliff Steele, Mick H, Andy Dyson and Joan Livesey to name a few get it spot on every time..

Carbon copy of my choices more or less; however, a special nod for Mr Dobson 'Butch' who always manages to find the tunes that fit time and place without being a sanctimonious smart arse..

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

most of them dont get the balance right cause they fiddle with knobs to much

Fiddling with knobs ! That was a criminal offense last time i looked ! LoL
Social source share

Matt , Whilst musical ethos is not in question, from a personal perspective, and whilst my personal taste contains most sub-genres within "our musical spectrum"....I for one get bored shitless listening to either one hour sets of "bland" Funk, R&B, Latin,etc so I find myself preferring hearing DJ's who can entertain ME with unknown/semi-known Uptempo 60's/70's Soul......The reason I got hooked in the first place....... And furthermore still excites me to this day :yes::hatsoff2:

Edited by wilxy
Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Fiddling with knobs ! That was a criminal offense last time i looked ! LoL

THATS ACTUALLY A GREAT WAY TO GET THE OFFENDERS ON TO THE " RULE 43" LIST OF RARE SOUL-MUST START A OFFENDERS "FLAG" REGISTER

Social source share

The man for me who consistently week in week out year in year out is Bob Hinsley

He can play upfront rare, oldies and modern and when called upon mix all three.

A man who has been there done it and got the T shirt.

Social source share

Guest roundtree

Bob Hinsley gets my vote, but then I look at the venue re music policy look at the Dj list if I think Im going to like it I go if not stay at home or choose another venue simple really

Social source share

no it wasnt matt it was a mixture of everything at and at the time was the top soul night in the country and led the way i am biased thou but i think most people would agree ,

your very kind Matt praise indeed, i was really up or it after playing an oldies set at loughboro

Ted Massey play a good set, plus few funk gems as well lol billy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!