Has Colin Curtis Sold His Collection?

Guest chorleybloke

On cd?

This is the same as Dustbin Stanley playing a cd set at Crossfire.

The magnitude of my northern soul fame allows me to play cd's as I discovered most of these tracks in the first place. That's bollocks, you play real one's - you are real. Play copies and you're a shadow of your former self, whoever you think you used to be!

Well if that doesn't reignite the topic nothing will :D

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Here is a question !

a couple of weeks ago there was a big hoohar at a gig in Burnley when someone requested a record and the DJ didn't have it

what if that DJ had have said

"I don't have it with me but i have it on a CD in my car if you would like to hear it "I'll go and get it for you !

what would the punter have said ?

or better still what would you have said if you were that punter ?

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Here is a question !

a couple of weeks ago there was a big hoohar at a gig in Burnley when someone requested a record and the DJ didn't have it

"I don't have it with me but i have it on a CD in my car if you would like to hear it "

Are you trying to get me in your car soul perv?

No in all seriousness, the punter could hear the tune in the car on cd, hell he could dance in the car park if he wanted and not get a tug from the SP!

Social source share

Here is a question !

"I don't have it with me but i have it on a CD in my car if you would like to hear it "

You are totally missing the point......it has to be at a revival event and the said DJ must be on the chosen few list as selected by the committee.....

Social source share

Here is a question !

As you are well aware Andy,it matters who the dj is,what type of venue/event.etc.If it was CC, he could play it off a piano with sheet music,backed by the Brighouse and Rastrick for me. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Allowed? CCurtis.Those who do it cos they can't be arsed? Loads of em.

OK I'll rephrase that.

Would Russ Winstanley be given the same free pass as Colin Curtis has been by people on Soul Source if he was to do a set using cd's?

(I've never heard a Colin Curtis set and wouldn't want to, so I'm not saying this because of the music selection or because of any opinions I have of CC, it's just the actual dj-ing off cd's that's the issue and why it's ok for some but not for others)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Are you trying to get me in your car soul perv?

No in all seriousness, the punter could hear the tune in the car on cd, hell he could dance in the car park if he wanted and not get a tug from the SP!

See your point i have altered what i asked !

He would have trouble convincing the insurance company as to where is car's gone ! LoL

Social source share

On cd?

The magnitude of my northern soul fame allows me to play cd's as I discovered most of these tracks in the first place. That's bollocks, you play real one's - you are real. Play copies and you're a shadow of your former self, whoever you think you used to be!

You also don't get it.... the music currently being played by Colin Curtis is not legacy, Blackpool Mecca tunes, however great they still sound today...it's fresh, soulful dance, keeping with the ethos of an original scene that once had respect for progressive DJs that moved the music and the scene onwards...

Many of these tunes never made it to vinyl, and plenty more never even made it to CD, being available as downloads only.... limiting new music to vinyl only plays as a few would demand is ridiculously restrictive, and for what purpose ?

Quite frankly I sometimes wonder why most would feel the need to cut previously unreleased 60's tunes to an acetate or carver when a CD is far more practical, and can often be of better sound quality.... it's a technology vs. tradition thing more than anything.

If you feel you need to strengthen an arguement by comparing Winstanley to Curtis, then I'm afraid you've already lost.

Social source share

OK I'll rephrase that.

Would Russ Winstanley be given the same free pass as Colin Curtis has been by people on Soul Source if he was to do a set using cd's?

(I've never heard a Colin Curtis set and wouldn't want to, so I'm not saying this because of the music selection or because of any opinions I have of CC, it's just the actual dj-ing off cd's that's the issue and why it's ok for some but not for others)

That was sort of answered previously by someone, Russ was certainly referenced, can't find the post, but it was a NO. Pete we've been on source for almost the same amount of time, how many times have you seen this argument come up, I've certainly lost count. And until now it was always the same, it must be OVO, but because it's CC it's ok? That's certainly a new one on me :D

Social source share

You also don't get it.... the music currently being played by Colin Curtis is not legacy, Blackpool Mecca tunes, however great they still sound today...it's fresh, soulful dance, keeping with the ethos of an original scene that once had respect for progressive DJs that moved the music and the scene onwards...

Many of these tunes never made it to vinyl, and plenty more never even made it to CD, being available as downloads only.... limiting new music to vinyl only plays as a few would demand is ridiculously restrictive, and for what purpose ?

Quite frankly I sometimes wonder why most would feel the need to cut previously unreleased 60's tunes to an acetate or carver when a CD is far more practical, and can often be of better sound quality.... it's a technology vs. tradition thing more than anything.

If you feel you need to strengthen an arguement by comparing Winstanley to Curtis, then I'm afraid you've already lost.

That's just a matter of opinion and is subjective, no one can deny that both have legendary status on the northern scene, so I can't see just where the argument is, as you put it, lost.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

You are totally missing the point......it has to be at a revival event and the said DJ must be on the chosen few list as selected by the committee.....

I don't know if it was a revival gig or not ? or weather he was one of the( select few ) i just remember it got a lot of attention on here
Social source share

What you seem to be failing to grasp is this is a cd v ovo thread and whilst talk of 'fresh, soulful dance' etc is all fine and dandy, it doesn't excuse the fact of playing cd's to a paying crowd.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Martin is mocking the gist of the thread Andy, as in it appears to be ok for some, but not others :thumbsup:

I have just started another thread off the back of this one

"Which DJ do you think has got the balance just righton the NS scene" should get some interesting answers !

Social source share

At the next kings hall at Stoke there are some of the scene's top Dj's - Soul Sam, Mick H, Andy Dyson etc... all playing original vinyl.

Will Chris King be playing original vinyl or off Cd's like one or two have mentioned? Personally i would feel cheated as a punter never mind if i was also one of the other DJ's.

Not knocking Stoke by the way, i think its a fantastic niter, just a curious for the answer

• Helpful 1
Social source share

At the next kings hall at Stoke there are some of the scene's top Dj's - Soul Sam, Mick H, Andy Dyson etc... all playing original vinyl.

Will Chris King be playing original vinyl or off Cd's like one or two have mentioned? Personally i would feel cheated as a punter never mind if i was also one of the other DJ's.

Not knocking Stoke by the way, i think its a fantastic niter, just a curious for the answer

You're missing the point...... kings hall is not a revival event ...... Is it?

Social source share

I organised a Northern do last year, was a big event and i contacted a certain dj and i had heard he only plays cds, so when i told him it was ovo and that i didnt have the facility on the decks to play cds he informed me he would bring his own equipment !! Now besides all this he also wanted top dollar aswell told him very sorry not worth all the earache. The fact i rang him was to confirm he had no vinyl and if he did i would have put him on.

Social source share

No Chris has his own records but will admit that at certain do's he's used a laptop. I just pulled his name out of thin air because I remember him telling me about it years ago

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

What a truly silly thread this.........

By the way, and i'll probably get some crap about this, I've seen Richard Searling playing northern

off CD's in the main northern room at a major event.

Kegsy

I would hate to second guess The Committee for the selection of approved or allowed DJs to play music off non-original format at revival events (DATSNOFARE)'.....but I guess they would include Richard Searling.

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

NONE of us DJs with CDs at the Kings Hall in the Main Room

In my own case 100% OVO ,,, At the Last two Gold Soul Events i have DJd at theres been the Addition of Deck Cams to showing the actual record spinning !!

Nige x

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

Two seperate worlds but frightened to death to leave the "umbrella" of the name Northern Soul

Thats MENTAL, the term NS is joke, & an embarrassment to most genuine propper folk who still follow the original ethos of the scene, i think it should be the other way around, the 'pretenders' should be sued under the Trade Descriptions act lol :lol: .

Cant lose any sleep over this & cant understand why anyone is suprised, as far away from the scene I'm involved in as you can get, it wont be too long now before we're back to how it was, a few hundred genuine people attending the few remaining clubs that will play the real McCoy !!!.

Chill out & enjoy whatever your into......

Best Russ

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

In my own case 100% OVO ,,, At the Last two Gold Soul Events i have DJd at theres been the Addition of Deck Cams to showing the actual record spinning !!

Nige x

Thats what the original poster said

it was at the Winter Gardens Blackpool

Cameras over the decks and yet CD's being played With Two CD's going around on the turntables !

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

I would contend that Colin Curtis is the Pope, not Ratzinger, and as such his infallibility is beyond all doubt. All other 'big name' DJs, including Searling, are mere cardinals, princes of the Church, worthy of the crumbs that have fallen from the Supreme Pontiff's table. Some scholars have contended that these crumbs have transubstantiated miraculously into vinyl and styrene (invented by Simon of Styrene) discs, the tangible proof required by the Lateran Council for Doctrine and Faith for his eventual beatification and canonisation as a saint of the our Holy Mother Church. During the great cism of the 1970s, a false Pope and his coterie of tridentine catacomb dwelling followers established a licentious, depraved court in a north-western English town famous for its pier and mint humbugs, provoking much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the faithfull. This false Pope today, like the great heretic who established a false papacy in Avignon in the 13th century, is known today for abominable acts of spiritual debauchery, still beguiling those would wear traditional vestments and commune openly with Satan. It surprises me, as a mere parishioner, that such comparisons, abjectly heinous comparisons, with Great Pontiff are made. Let's be sincere, the Great Pontiff has, in the words of Bob Dylan, done it all, and done more than anyone can pretend to do. We should be asking ourselves not what He can do for us, but what we can do for Him. God bless Colin Curtis and his long grey locks.

Edited by macca
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I would contend that Colin Curtis is the Pope, not Ratzinger, and as such his infallibility is beyond all doubt. All other 'big name' DJs, including Searling, are mere cardinals, princes of the Church, worthy of the crumbs that have fallen from the Supreme Pontiff's table. Some scholars have contended that these crumbs have transubstantiated miracously into vinyl and styrene (invented by Simon of Styrene) discs, the tangible proof required by the Lateran Council for Doctrine and Faith for his eventual beatification and canonisation as a saint of the our Holy Mother Church. During the great cism of the 1970s, a false Pope and his coterie of tridentine catacomb dwelling followers established a licentious, depraved court in a north-western English town famous for its pier and mint humbugs, provoking much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the faithfull. This false Pope today, like the great heretic who established a false papacy in Avignon in the 13th century, is known today for abominable acts of spiritual debauchery, still beguiling those would wear traditional vestments and communing with Satan. It surprises me, as a mere parishioner, that such comparisons, abjectly heinous comparisons, let's be sincere, with the Great Pontiff, who, in the words of Bob Dylan, has done it all, and done more than anyone can pretend to do. We should be asking ourselves not what He can do for us, but what we can do for Him. God bless Colin Curtis and his long grey locks.

At last a sensible comment. Hopefully this will now be the last word on this thread. :lol:

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I would contend that Colin Curtis is the Pope, not Ratzinger, and as such his infallibility is beyond all doubt. All other 'big name' DJs, including Searling, are mere cardinals, princes of the Church, worthy of the crumbs that have fallen from the Supreme Pontiff's table. Some scholars have contended that these crumbs have transubstantiated miracously into vinyl and styrene (invented by Simon of Styrene) discs, the tangible proof required by the Lateran Council for Doctrine and Faith for his eventual beatification and canonisation as a saint of the our Holy Mother Church. During the great cism of the 1970s, a false Pope and his coterie of tridentine catacomb dwelling followers established a licentious, depraved court in a north-western English town famous for its pier and mint humbugs, provoking much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the faithfull. This false Pope today, like the great heretic who established a false papacy in Avignon in the 13th century, is known today for abominable acts of spiritual debauchery, still beguiling those would wear traditional vestments and communing with Satan. It surprises me, as a mere parishioner, that such comparisons, abjectly heinous comparisons, let's be sincere, with the Great Pontiff, who, in the words of Bob Dylan, has done it all, and done more than anyone can pretend to do. We should be asking ourselves not what He can do for us, but what we can do for Him. God bless Colin Curtis and his long grey locks.

Wrong type of Soul's mate LoL
Social source share

Trust you to bring religion into it!! :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On cd?

Already asked and answered.

:wave:

That was sort of answered previously by someone, Russ was certainly referenced, can't find the post, but it was a NO. Pete we've been on source for almost the same amount of time, how many times have you seen this argument come up, I've certainly lost count. And until now it was always the same, it must be OVO, but because it's CC it's ok? That's certainly a new one on me :D

Already asked and answered. :wave:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Nige x

Good on you Nidge, lets hope and insist it stays that way, the commercial side of the scene should realise that integrity has an intrinsic finiacial value.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Don't get me wrong, I've got lots of respect for CC, I was there in the Highland Room when he was at the height of his powers. He's stil a skilled DJ in terms of announcing and describing tunes, but is the next logical step an iPod playlist? At least he'd be able to get down on the floor - and in my opinion there's no material difference between CDs and iPods.

Cheers......Pete

Social source share

What a truly silly thread this is.

With respect to the thread title,

I would suggest that Colin Curtis had very little Original "northern" Vinyl after

the mid to late seventies, he had moved on from the northern scene.

As to why he should be booked to play a Mecca revival night, there are very few people about

these days who can remember what was originally played at the Mecca. So who else could have done it

any better than the guy that did it in the first place. Dont blame Colin blame the promoters

for wanting his "name", they must have known he didnt have the records anymore.

I would also so suggest that, if Colin is reading this, he will be laughing his cock off,

as most of the arguments about OVO/playing new releases etc are probably why he left the scene in the first place.

Whilst i can appreciate the OVO argument from a collectors point of view, and we should always

be aware that without these people the scene would never have been what it is.

However why should OVO matter to people, who just want a good nostalgic night out listening to music

from whatever source. Nobody owns this scene, although some try to.

What we need is the government to set up a quango so that DJ's and venues can

be OVO accredited, and must have all the correct certificates.

But what is OVO ?, which copy of the Invitations Whats Wrong With Me Baby

would be allowed, Stateside, on which it was first played out, or the Dynovoice one.

Would there be a rule that said, only the first DJ to discover the record could

ever be allowed to play said record as his is the only true original copy ?

Everybody knows which nights play OVO so you pays your money and makes your choice.

By the way, and i'll probably get some crap about this, I've seen Richard Searling playing northern

off CD's in the main northern room at a major event.

Kegsy

Here Here that man,the post that makes the most sense on here ,bloody hell i'll be sending for some of them used kecks next!

Social source share

Thats what the original poster said

it was at the Winter Gardens Blackpool

Cameras over the decks and yet CD's being played With Two CD's going around on the turntables !

If you read my post properly ,,, i was answering a question about CDs being used by Chris King at the KINGS HALL!!

Which HE does not!! None of us do there!!

The guy who asked the question abot CK probably doesnt even attend the Kings Hall or hed know CDs arnt used in the main room!!!

But i guess if Colin Curtis was on a KINGS HALL line up he may choose that playing format,, thats up to him,,, i love it how the Key Board Warriors on slate such a legend on our scene when he doesnt even have the luxery to reply to some of the snide critism,, bit thats Soul Source is it not!!

Pete F said he chose Blackpool as apposed to his first choice the Rugby All Niter,,,, but i read there where CDs Played there also and a Kid playing bootlegs/re issue ( which i have praised on there look back thread) ,,, so it aint just Colin Curtis ,, CDs were played down there too!!

Its like Pete Smith implied i guess rule for some blah de blah!!

George Orwell,,,, All Animals are Equal,,,, But,,,, Some Are More Equal Than Others!!

N x

Social source share

But i guess if Colin Curtis was on a KINGS HALL line up he may choose that playing format,, thats up to him,,, i love it how the Key Board Warriors on slate such a legend on our scene when he doesnt even have the luxery to reply to some of the snide critism,, bit thats Soul Source is it not!!

Nige I don't think you can accuse the people on this thread of being snide, quite the opposite, they are outspoken and not holding anything back. I also don't think this is all about C.C. either but yet another chapter in long debate about CD vs OVO or whatever it's called.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nige I don't think you can accuse the people on this thread of being snide, quite the opposite, they are outspoken and not holding anything back. I also don't think this is all about C.C. either but yet another chapter in long debate about CD vs OVO or whatever it's called.

O K then Pete

Pete F s Original Question in a nutshell

So what's the crack, has he sold up? YES!!!

And how come he still gets invited to DJ? PROMOTORS ASK HIM!!

Is this common at these "handbag" type of venues? VERY!

If anybody other than me gave a shit, they certainly weren't showing it. THEY DONT!

SIMPLES

Just being open /outspoken :P

N x

• Helpful 3
Social source share

O K then Pete

Pete F s Original Question in a nutshell

So what's the crack, has he sold up? YES!!!

And how come he still gets invited to DJ? PROMOTORS ASK HIM!!

Is this common at these "handbag" type of venues? VERY!

If anybody other than me gave a shit, they certainly weren't showing it. THEY DONT!

SIMPLES

Just being open /outspoken :P

N x

I agree with you, it is VERY common in handbag venues.

Social source share