You don't go out for a fillet steak and accept a burger

same as you don't go to an art gallery to look at re prints

you don't go to see Frank Wilson and accept Frank Spencer

nobody is really slagging him off for his history and contribution

but if he's sold up , then so be it , move on and let the next man have a go

I haven't heard of Kenny Burrell playing CD's up in Scotland

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't get.... taking along boots and CDs to a revival night then playing the original stuff somewhere else??? He stated himself he sold off almost everything !!!

Hmmmm, I still expect the original dj to play the real deal at a soul revival night that's the whole point otherwise it's just a silly circus.

It's the same thingy for me with an oldschool house dj .... I like to hear the good old mixing of the wax and the fiddling with all those funny bits n bobs!!!

Nevermind, good luck to all of you !!! :hatsoff2:

I couldn't agree more...you're bang on about the circus.

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

I'm really not getting this, there are posts on here excusing CC for playing CDs from some of the fiercest defenders (under normal circumstances) of OVO. Whilst I understand there is a great deal of respect for Colin, why does he have a get out of jail card and are there any other DJs who would get similar treatment should they go down the CD route in the future?

im flabbergasted, "get out of jail cards" are something to do with monopoly aren't they?...oh, but then, the reputation cometh before the man and even though he DOSN'T possess a record collection, his VERY essence is the definition of monopoly. his, is a name to conjure with and wether you like it or not, he HAS the capacity to weave magic on the dancefloor and he HAS AND STILL DOES monopolize many dancefloors. ive absolutley NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER, should he take up the challenge at a moments notice, he'd have a record collection to bamboozle and confound even the most ardent anoraks, such is his extensive network of dealers and contacts and, just to hammer home that point, we cant fail to notice that his sidekick, mr. levine is riding the range again with infinite obliviousness to all stick dishers!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

im flabbergasted, "get out of jail cards" are something to do with monopoly aren't they?...oh, but then, the reputation cometh before the man and even though he DOSN'T possess a record collection, his VERY essence is the definition of monopoly. his, is a name to conjure with and wether you like it or not, he HAS the capacity to weave magic on the dancefloor and he HAS AND STILL DOES monopolize many dancefloors. ive absolutley NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER, should he take up the challenge at a moments notice, he'd have a record collection to bamboozle and confound even the most ardent anoraks, such is his extensive network of dealers and contacts and, just to hammer home that point, we cant fail to notice that his sidekick, mr. levine is riding the range again with infinite obliviousness to all stick dishers!!

I think you're missing the point somewhat. You've been on SS for sometime, so you must have witnessed in the past the 'battle royals' that have raged over OVO or A.N.Other Medium. Some of the posters within this thread have been avid supporters of OVO and argued that very point, yet their position has altered due to the subject being CC? I'm not disrespecting Colin's standing on the soul scene, or his history, I'm simply asking why there might be double standards being applied, and who else might benefit from this 'softer' outlook.

Social source share

I agree with Steve G and Cliff (Wrongcrowd). He was doing a Mecca revival type thing, he was an original Mecca DJ, playing the tunes he first creatively played back then. As for 2day, Colin listens to and promotes more real YK2 soul music than nearly anyone else in the country.

If you really want something to change, how about crap dj's, playing through crap sound systems, in crap venues, with a playlist that is entirely made up of tunes they've heard major dj's play. Focus on this and then the current decline in the scene MAY start to be arrested.

I rather hear some young kid playing a set of original oldies, a few underplayed gems or even unknown tunes (to me and maybe a few others) then an old dj living of his past. Great job on him for doing all that YK2 stuff and being a top jock in the past!!!! But all that ...my best buddy and former hero circus is just not right.... If in twenty years time Butch would decide to play his former discoveries from CD's I would still respect his former glory but still think it's a frigging cop out!!!! Also, that whole biiiiig DJ disovering records malarkey is putting the actual artists, sound engineer and label owners wayyyyyyyyyy down the line which is not good!!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm really not getting this, there are posts on here excusing CC for playing CDs from some of the fiercest defenders (under normal circumstances) of OVO. Whilst I understand there is a great deal of respect for Colin, why does he have a get out of jail card and are there any other DJs who would get similar treatment should they go down the CD route in the future?

one rule for one and all that i suppose Winnie

im ok Kev btw :D hope you are too :hatsoff2:

Social source share

he's too busy counting the money and laughing down his sleeve :yes:

SPOT ON ......Like so many other so called "BIG" names DJ's. The dear old pals DJ cliche who week after week play the same old same old shite living off the fat of their passed histology.....

Watch their own enthuasiasm on stage whilst their doing their spot ....they're bored shitless...soon as they get the cash they're off...

I watched 1 very well known booked out every weekend Midland DJ ... reading the newspaper yawning his head off behind the decks ...every 3 minutes he pretended to cue in a vinyl 45 whilst actually playing CD's...all he actually had on the empty spinning turntables was a half eaten packet of pork scrathings....Took the money and run...probably to another venue where he could do it all again...and this happens week after week..

Do what I do and boycott such venues where these DJ's are DJing...Frequent venues where theres a better musical policy of you're choice but one thats still ..."REAL"... vibrant...alive...still with that real underground feel ... Enthuasiastic DJ's.playing eclectic soul vinyl...The scene like it always was... and like it should be..

Lets face it if the DJ's are bored and playing CD's ask yourself what the hell are you doing there.... and you're paying for it !!!! :huh: :facepalm:

Social source share

Mate the scene has not changed one little bit only the expectations of a few that feel that having a good night out is not good enough any-more, and where any dj that dares to plays anything that is not considered "kosha" is able to ruin what would otherwise be a cracking night........i don't get it, i really don't.

As for carvers, i think they have a place where a tune has NEVER been issued in ANY way whatsoever and only exists on some obscure long lost tape from the vaults..........how else are we supposed to hear a particular tune if it only exists on tape??

Last line - Dead simple mate you spend hours researching where the tune is from & who made it or the licence holders and you pay for the privalege of legitimately making copies of the tape onto a carver with the permision of the author or licence holder - Otherwise you dont full stop because you dont derserve to!

Social source share

Colin Curtis is very much at the forefront of the Modern soul scene in this country, still breaking new sounds as he did 40 years ago. Is this thread going to turn into another done to death OVO policy. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

'Cameras over the decks to demonstrate the OVO policy' I suppose you could zoom in and check the matrix numbers too. Was it advertised as an OVO night ?

ovo is only way forward 'if you don' have ovo then don't dj' playing boots and reissues and cds is taking the p*ss out of the scene .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

SPOT ON ......Like so many other so called "BIG" names DJ's. The dear old pals DJ cliche who week after week play the same old same old shite living off the fat of their passed histology.....

Watch their own enthuasiasm on stage whilst their doing their spot ....they're bored shitless...soon as they get the cash they're off...

I watched 1 very well known booked out every weekend Midland DJ ... reading the newspaper yawning his head off behind the decks ...every 3 minutes he pretended to cue in a vinyl 45 whilst actually playing CD's...all he actually had on the empty spinning turntables was a half eaten packet of pork scrathings....Took the money and run...probably to another venue where he could do it all again...and this happens week after week..

Do what I do and boycott such venues where these DJ's are DJing...Frequent venues where theres a better musical policy of you're choice but one thats still ..."REAL"... vibrant...alive...still with that real underground feel ... Enthuasiastic DJ's.playing eclectic soul vinyl...The scene like it always was... and like it should be..

Lets face it if the DJ's are bored and playing CD's ask yourself what the hell are you doing there.... and you're paying for it !!!! :huh: :facepalm:

well said ' i agree with everything you say :thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree with Steve G and Cliff (Wrongcrowd). He was doing a Mecca revival type thing, he was an original Mecca DJ, playing the tunes he first creatively played back then. As for 2day, Colin listens to and promotes more real YK2 soul music than nearly anyone else in the country.

If you really want something to change, how about crap dj's, playing through crap sound systems, in crap venues, with a playlist that is entirely made up of tunes they've heard major dj's play. Focus on this and then the current decline in the scene MAY start to be arrested.

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

Last line - Dead simple mate you spend hours researching where the tune is from & who made it or the licence holders and you pay for the privalege of legitimately making copies of the tape onto a carver with the permision of the author or licence holder - Otherwise you dont full stop because you dont derserve to!

So with that view, let's say all avenues fail, fail in tracing writers, producers, ASCAP has nothing regarding it's licence holder, you even have no idea as to which label it would have been released on...........Do we just file it under "it could have been a contender" ? or do we let the people that matter.......the punters that listen and dance to otherwise unknown tracks hear it played out?

Your view is very idealistic and purist view that as far as i am aware has so far failed and if it ever had been the way of things we would be missing out on so many tunes.

Great in principal, unrealistic in reality.

Social source share

Can relate to this 100%. saw something quite similar. Was gobsmacked and disapointed :facepalm: I'll never go to that venue again!

Edited by dave2
Social source share

Well part of the fun was traveling the length of the country back then , to hear rare un obtainable vinyl

if i want to listen to CD's i can go to the pub down the road where the DJ has a hard drive with 50,000 tunes on it and the skill of a Till out girl at Asda

As I said, I'd rather travel to see Colin play his Cd's that most of the Dj's on the SCENE.... I have more respect for the girl on the Till in Asda than anyone who slags another Dj on an internet forum, a Dj who has proven over the years to be fantastic and hosts one of the best Soul Radio shows in the World in my opinion.....i wouldn't be so quick to judge people who work in supermarkets or is that not allowed on your SCENE as well??...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

The point is still being missed here, there's no condoning playing reissues, bootlegs and copies, regardless of DJ status and history. It's about facing facts. Oldies, revival nights are a different scene, where the playlists are now so obvious and predictable that nobody should really care, be surprised or idignant when or whether the well established tunes are played off CDs. It's no longer important..... that train left the sation years ago. The DJs on the revival scene almost entirely play (the now 'safe') tunes that more the progressive DJs discovered, championed and moved on from long ago.

Another point that's missed here is the difference between absolute DJs and collectors who DJ. Absolute DJs generally turn their playlists rapidly and have very short term 'collections' because the important thing is to keep moving forward with fresh music..... and that costs, part of the cost is managed by selling off old plays. The result of which is that absolute DJs don't have the vinyl to cover oldies/revival nights, but most don't care because they're not interested, and the ones that sign up to play at these nights generally do so without original vinyl..... and because some led the way, playing fresh music to earlier floors, then they should be given more respect and not put into the same pigeon hole as the wannabe oldies DJs whos playlists are borrowed.

What is important, in contrast is the true progressive scene which absolutely does care that only original format tunes are played, and we should be rightly protective and vocal about that.

.I'm all right jack F*ck you is what your saying ? Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Hear hear! Wiots wrong wi workin at Tescos ianyhow? Sum very judgemental people on this thread who think that their better than most ,well your not Fact!!

As I said, I'd rather travel to see Colin play his Cd's that most of the Dj's on the SCENE.... I have more respect for the girl on the Till in Asda than anyone who slags another Dj on an internet forum, a Dj who has proven over the years to be fantastic and hosts one of the best Soul Radio shows in the World in my opinion.....i wouldn't be so quick to judge people who work in supermarkets or is that not allowed on your SCENE as well??...

Social source share

As he was a pucka Mecca DJ from the 70s, I am not going to lose any sleep if he turns up at the odd Mecca revival night and plays off CDs. We all know what the records that made the Mecca are, even his legendary "last hour" left-fielders.

Now if he was booked at an upfront venue that would be an entirely different matter. But he ain't, so get over yourselves please. There's nothing to see here.

I think that sums it up properly and completely. Its seems to have happened at some sort of a revival night, nth to do with the Rare Soul scene at all. totally unimportant what medium was used as the whole scenery (of the revival and oldies scene) is of no interest to the Rare Soul Scene IMO. As I said in a simliar thread recently...two seperate worlds.

Marc

NB

have to add though that I dont agree on that "hes a top bloke", "got great taste and records" "has been responsible for.." etc for being used as an "excuse". nobodys yesterdays merits should be used as a future "card blanche" for wrong doings .. having said that I cant find any wrong doing here as explained above..

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Pathetic ! nobody slagged off a girl at Asda (not Tesco) the point was the girl at Asda is probably better at pushing buttons

than anybody from our era as for most of us grew up in a world without computers !

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I think that sums it up properly and completely. Its seems to have happened at some sort of a revival night, nth to do with the Rare Soul scene at all. totally unimportant what medium was used as the whole scenery (of the revival and oldies scene) is of no interest to the Rare Soul Scene IMO. As I said in a simliar thread recently...two seperate worlds.

Marc

NB

have to add though that I dont agree on that "hes a top bloke", "got great taste and records" "has been responsible for.." etc for being used as an "excuse". nobodys yesterdays merits should be used as a future "card blanche" for wrong doings .. having said that I cant find any wrong doing here as explained above..

Two seperate worlds but frightened to death to leave the "umbrella" of the name Northern Soul
Social source share

Another point that's missed here is the difference between absolute DJs and collectors who DJ. Absolute DJs generally turn their playlists rapidly and have very short term 'collections' because the important thing is to keep moving forward with fresh music..... and that costs, part of the cost is managed by selling off old plays. The result of which is that absolute DJs don't have the vinyl to cover oldies/revival nights, but most don't care because they're not interested, and the ones that sign up to play at these nights generally do so without original vinyl..... and because some led the way, playing fresh music to earlier floors, then they should be given more respect and not put into the same pigeon hole as the wannabe oldies DJs whos playlists are borrowed.

Good point and that 100% covers Colin Curtis, who, quite frankly, couldn't have given a f*ck about retaining a record once it had been booted, became widely available or when he just got fed up with it. I know that because I bought one of the three Eula Cooper originals off him for a quid the week it got booted. And that's a record which stayed rare. His sheer turnover of stuff at the Mecca almost necessarily meant that his playbox changed on a weekly basis. It's staggering to see how many of those cult 'last hour' records eventually went on to become future monsters. It's all very well having a pop at the guy for playing CD's some 40 years later but I really don't think people appreciate the turnover or churn of otherwise unpopular tunes that he championed first, many of which are still going for megabucks today.

Anyone who doubts his influence may do well to check out this previous S.S. thread:-

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Good point and that 100% covers Colin Curtis, who, quite frankly, couldn't have given a f*ck about retaining a record once it had been booted, became widely available or when he just got fed up with it. I know that because I bought one of the three Eula Cooper originals off him for a quid the week it got booted. And that's a record which stayed rare. His sheer turnover of stuff at the Mecca almost necessarily meant that his playbox changed on a weekly basis. It's staggering to see how many of those cult 'last hour' records eventually went on to become future monsters. It's all very well having a pop at the guy for playing CD's some 40 years later but I really don't think people appreciate the turnover or churn of otherwise unpopular tunes that he championed first, many of which are still going for megabucks today.

Anyone who doubts his influence may do well to check out this previous S.S. thread:-

I don't think it's actually slagging him off personally

most people are aware of his "Life's Work " and contribution to Northern Soul i think this is more your old Top 500 and poss the next generation after , not wanting CD's to become a norm

It's just unfortunate it was Colin who was seen

I can't really comment on the newer scene as i know nothing of it but i do listen to records posted on here

but i would not be remotely interested in sounds that are only on CD because they have been made in the last couple of years

i hated the Manufactured soul by Ian Levine back in the 70's and still do , for me Northern soul Is and always will be 60's and 70's mid to up tempo soul Any pretender to the throne after that is only being called Northern Soul because the promoters know it sells and to try and market any other of the many soul brands under the "Northern umbrella"by any other name would fail !

Social source share

I don't think it's actually slagging him off personally

most people are aware of his "Life's Work " and contribution to Northern Soul i think this is more your old Top 500 and poss the next generation after , not wanting CD's to become a norm

It's just unfortunate it was Colin who was seen

I can't really comment on the newer scene as i know nothing of it but i do listen to records posted on here

but i would not be remotely interested in sounds that are only on CD because they have been made in the last couple of years

i hated the Manufactured soul by Ian Levine back in the 70's and still do , for me Northern soul Is and always will be 60's and 70's mid to up tempo soul Any pretender to the throne after that is only being called Northern Soul because the promoters know it sells and to try and market any other of the many soul brands under the "Northern umbrella"by any other name would fail !

Don't get me wrong, I see your point entirely but I just think you picked the wrong target. There's very few people I would jump to defend simply on the basis of past glories but Colin's the genuine article and pretty much impregnable in terms of lifetime commitment. He's actually in the hallowed 5% of those I genuinely respect in musical terms and I don't say that flippently. I always remember Neil Rushton once describing him as "Bohemian Lifestyle Jock Colin Curtis" in a Black Echoes article and Colin going nuts because he thought Neil was taking the piss. But hey, he's always dressed like a Grateful Dead roadie so it's understandable how he can be misinterpreted...... :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

OK Ian, fair point about his contribution to the scene, but, why not give the gig to someone who does have the OV even if they didnt discover/ play them first back in the 70s ?

At least they would possibly invest their hard earned in seeking out more OV instead of pocketing it on top of the wedge they already have from selling the OV in the first place....

The prime example is the one bought up earlier in the thread about Russ, why would I travel to hear him play off of a CD records that I could play at home when there are others who could put together a set of records on OV that (a) I had forgotten he played & (b) he probably has forgotten he played in the first place? - OK most of them would be 60s dirge (in this example), but you get the point (?)

Social source share

That's probably because they have zero credibility anyway, Win. I thought Chris King was insufferable the first time round. To hear he's playing off CDs today, well there you go. And Winstanley? Lord help us...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Don't get me wrong, I see your point entirely but I just think you picked the wrong target. There's very few people I would jump to defend simply on the basis of past glories but Colin's the genuine article and pretty much impregnable in terms of lifetime commitment. He's actually in the hallowed 5% of those I genuinely respect in musical terms and I don't say that flippently. I always remember Neil Rushton once describing him as "Bohemian Lifestyle Jock Colin Curtis" in a Black Echoes article and Colin going nuts because he thought Neil was taking the piss. But hey, he's always dressed like a Grateful Dead roadie so it's understandable how he can be misinterpreted...... :lol:

I didn't do the Mecca much , but Colin used to guest at wigan , i mean he might have come over every Saturday , i can't remember

the last time i saw him was at Tower ball room Blackpool 11/7/09 and he played an excellent mixed set all vinyl if i remember rightly

as i've said he deserves total respect as he stuck with the scene where many became disillusioned with it and left , Me included

if as i now suspect it was a modern / mecca revival then that's fine as i would never knowingly go to one as that wasn't my thing

but if it was an oldies / traditional gig i'd expect vinyl and no CD players in the building

one question

as you are a DJ do you ever use CD's ?

sorry another question did he have long hair in the 70's only i thought he had short hair back then

Andy

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

OK Ian, fair point about his contribution to the scene, but, why not give the gig to someone who does have the OV even if they didnt discover/ play them first back in the 70s ?

Yeah, but does that mean that we're valuing someone who merely has the disposable income to be able to just buy the OVO above the guy who put his balls on the line to both buy and then subsequently break the records in the first place? If we're saying that ownership of OVO is more important than the person who discovered and broke the records in the first place, then surely it's just all about money isn't it?

At least they would possibly invest their hard earned in seeking out more OV instead of pocketing it on top of the wedge they already have from selling the OV in the first place....

It was very, very different 40 years ago Martyn. We used to have a go at Colin because he wasn't bothered about anything else other than getting new tunes 24/7. He never got much wedge from flogging records believe me because the turnover was nuts. I once spent a long weekend with him back in '75 and that was enough for me to never want to repeat the experience. I ended up staying at his place on a Sunday night and was astounded at the stuff that was on his shelves and not in his box. Records were the be all and end all with Colin. Wedge has never ever come into it with him. He's still wearing the same type of clothes that he wore 40 years ago. That should tell you everything.

Social source share

I didn't do the Mecca much , but Colin used to guest at wigan , i mean he might have come over every Saturday , i can't remember

the last time i saw him was at Tower ball room Blackpool 11/7/09 and he played an excellent mixed set all vinyl if i remember rightly

as i've said he deserves total respect as he stuck with the scene where many became disillusioned with it and left , Me included

if as i now suspect it was a modern / mecca revival then that's fine as i would never knowingly go to one as that wasn't my thing

but if it was an oldies / traditional gig i'd expect vinyl and no CD players in the building

one question

sorry another question did he have long hair in the 70's only i thought he had short hair back then

Andy

If rare soul event attendees (we can't use the word punter anymore) are to be believed, then I actually think the opposite would be expected. No comprendo this 'umbrella' business either. I go to events periodically and the words 'northern soul' per se don't appear in the bumph or on the posters. They tend to have exotic names like Runaway Love Soul Sessions, Soul4Real, Sounds Of Unity & Love, Movin' On etc. That's not to say that Northern isn't played at them though, along with a lot of other styles or genres.

Social source share

one question

I do tons of gigs covering different areas 'cos I have eclectic tastes so yes, I use CD's all the time for the majority of gigs and especially for international ones. Also I personally need a HUGE selection because I just like a lot of choice, so I'd rather have a choice of several thousand tunes rather than a couple of hundred for sure.

However, I also maintain a huge record collection including several playboxes of OVO of both Northern and Modern because I realise that's a key part of the deal. So, yes, I still lug around boxes of OVO for the gigs which expect it. Which is fine. Different strokes and all that....

Colin's always looked like a Grateful Dead roadie apart from a brief period in the late 80's when he sported a more conventional short hair style but still continued to wear the denims. When Colin deejayed at the Torch and the Mecca he looked more like a Heavy Metal fan than a Soul boy. But hey, he's always been a none-conformist......

Social source share

I don't think that CC has to justify himself or anything he does to anybody. He has probably forgotten more than most of us know...has been at the forefront of playing & promoting new music for the past 30 years at least. Most of the stuff he plays now I wouldn't want to listen to personally but if i was promoting a 'Mecca nite' i wouldn't hesitate to call him up! I think there's mischief in the original post on this thread. Hopefully. Surely you can't be serious.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I don't think that CC has to justify himself or anything he does to anybody. He has probably forgotten more than most of us know...has been at the forefront of playing & promoting new music for the past 30 years at least. Most of the stuff he plays now I wouldn't want to listen to personally but if i was promoting a 'Mecca nite' i wouldn't hesitate to call him up! I think there's mischief in the original post on this thread. Hopefully. Surely you can't be serious.

I dont think there is any mischief in it . The guy lives in Australia and came over , went to a soul gig where Cameras were fixed over the decks to show that they were playing OVO So the only people conning anyone is the promoters if that's the case

i've never heard of CD's being used and if i did i would avoid any venue that used them everything i want to listen to is on vinyl and there are people/ DJ's out there that have it and play it , i don't go to many gigs anymore but if i do i will ask the question from now on and pick them accordingly

Social source share

i've never heard of CD's being used and if i did i would avoid any venue that used them everything i want to listen to is on vinyl

........ you have obviously never been to a modern night then as the vast majority of MS DJ's take as many CD / CD-R's with them as they do vinyl.

For Y2K stuff (which is CC's bread & butter these days), you can search around everywhere and maybe find SOME of the tracks on vinyl BUT unless you have a vinyl fetish, why bother ?

If I like & want to dance to a particular tune, I dance to it ... I don't give a sh*t what media it is being played from (but then I spend nearly all my time in the Modern Room at events I attend so the OVO issue doesn't figure for me at all).

I find it a total laugh that DJ's such as Soul Sam have CD only tracks transferred onto carvers rather than play em off the original format, perverse or what.

Social source share

The prime example is the one bought up earlier in the thread about Russ, why would I travel to hear him play off of a CD records that I could play at home when there are others who could put together a set of records on OV that (a) I had forgotten he played & (b) he probably has forgotten he played in the first place? - OK most of them would be 60s dirge (in this example), but you get the point (?)

I thought I'd answered this Martyn?

It's a Mecca revival, it's not a rare soul nighter or event, the place is full of people who just want to have a good time and only care about what's coming out of the speakers. On another thread they are probably called "handbaggers" or something! God knows why they put cameras above the decks at such a night in the first place! Unless it was a requirement of the local Soul Police :lol:

Personally I wouldn't go to a Mecca revival, not my scene, but I wouldn't go to many revival nights as I am sure most on here have worked out by now :D:. But if you are putting on a Mecca revival who better to headline than Colin? Joe Soap playing Mecca oldies on OVO shock horror just wouldn't cut it for the majority of 'through the door' paying punters. Let's be honest about this many of us have got pretty much all of the good Mecca records anyway, so it's not like we're off to hear something new or radically different. As Cliff and I have both said it's pretty much 'play by numbers' at these events.

And someone posted about a Midlands DJ who looks bored, reads the paper, munches pork scratchings etc. and gets booked every week. Dunno who he is, but you'd never see Colin doing that. And that's why I drew a distinction between Colin and a number of other former DJs.

Sad if Dave was offended, next time you are over from Oz get yourselves along to Lifeline or Thorne or some of the Euro events. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just a thought....if it is ok for the the chosen few to play CDs at a revival event would it be ok for them just to send a life size cardboard cut out to stand behind the decks and plug in a memory stick....this would save the DJ his travelling costs and also to leave him free to continue his unending search for new modern soulful tunes!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If I like & want to dance to a particular tune, I dance to it ... I don't give a sh*t what media it is being played from (but then I spend nearly all my time in the Modern Room at events I attend so the OVO issue doesn't figure for me at all).

I find it a total laugh that DJ's such as Soul Sam have CD only tracks transferred onto carvers rather than play em off the original format, perverse or what.

Not perverse, just technically challenged.... :lol: ... though whether Sam plays off the original CD format or from a carver cut from the CD he owns, the key thing is that he's still playing fresh music.... :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

i've never heard of CD's being used and if i did i would avoid any venue that used them everything i want to listen to is on vinyl

........ you have obviously never been to a modern night then as the vast majority of MS DJ's take as many CD / CD-R's with them as they do vinyl.

For Y2K stuff (which is CC's bread & butter these days), you can search around everywhere and maybe find SOME of the tracks on vinyl BUT unless you have a vinyl fetish, why bother ?

You are correct i have never , nor will ever go to a modern night nor would i want to !

The fact you don't give a s*it what format it's played in Well do ! Modern is your choice as OVO is mine Original is best everything else is imitation imho

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Just a thought....if it is ok for the the chosen few to play CDs at a revival event would it be ok for them just to send a life size cardboard cut out to stand behind the decks and plug in a memory stick....this would save the DJ his travelling costs and also to leave him free to continue his unending search for new modern soulful tunes!

I thought about this last night

I have a CD with 57 northern soul albums on it , i could set up one gig push the button drive to the next one , and so on

i could run about 50 gigs a weekend and then get the promoters to post my CD's back to me ! LoL

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Short hair in the 70's? In his schooldays.? Mischief making,of course.Would we rather he went down the oldies route so we could slag him for that?

Contribution to the scene immense imo.Teflon.

In his school days in the 70's so he was DJing at the Torch while still at school ? he is 60 years old

he left school in 67

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

In his school days in the 70's so he was DJing at the Torch while still at school ? he is 60 years old

It was a joke Andy.Lets me make this point though without joking.The bloke's not trying to preach,convert or crash the NS scene as it is now.

An overiding image of him ,feet up on the decks,spinning Ann Sexton will stay with me.Can't take it away.

Social source share

Colin Curtis is still inspiring dance floors and listeners alike with great, obscure, and under-played music....

On cd?

This is the same as Dustbin Stanley playing a cd set at Crossfire.

The magnitude of my northern soul fame allows me to play cd's as I discovered most of these tracks in the first place. That's bollocks, you play real one's - you are real. Play copies and you're a shadow of your former self, whoever you think you used to be!

• Helpful 2
Social source share