Handbaggers (P**s Heads)

Anton L

It is a tricky one to deal with ,soul people are like any other folk and the odd time they step out of line - be it drinks on the floor ,domestic problems brought out with them etc.. drinkers are notoriously difficult to reason with regardless of the arena ! All a promoter can do is have at least two doormen who can motor a bit ,who understand the scene and pay attention to the front of house (of course finding security with a badge and ability is near on impossible) never the less punters safety is paramount so if you haven't got them forget about running events.I certainly wouldn't be happy if anything untoward happened to anyone at a venue i was involved with ,the cattle prod is perfect so long as both prongs hit home - seen some big lads fall when poked in the past.Best solution is to put Mace and the Bidds team on front of house - enough to frighten even the most dedicated soul fan off ...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Let's get real here...

You guys ought to try a few Hip-Hop nights or Ragga do's, bloody hell, they are like a war zone compared to Northern Soul nights...Mass fights, drug rows, women fighting each other, stabbings, shootings even sometimes...

I still think on the whole, a Soul night is a far more mellow place to be - given that yes, there are occasional problems - than your average commercial or contemporary R'N'B club where all the elements of gangsterism and the accompanying tensions often erupt into violence... :hatsoff2:

That's not really the point though is it Rich, saying there's worse out there doesn't solve what's perceived as an increasing problem. Presumably people who go to hip hop and ragga nights go because they like the music and everything associated with it. Same for people, or it was, on the northern scene, we expect a bit more when it comes to etiquette, is it really too much to ask?

Social source share

the scene is full of incidents ive witnessed loads over last few years and heard of many too, women being harrassed, djs being abused, thefts of records, coats and handbags, soulies being assaulted and abused, not all them related to pisheads but 99% are, not saying its happening every week but its defo going on and will carry on unless it can be nipped in the bud which i think is nigh on impossible, sooner or later someones going to get seriously hurt and someones going to get into serious trouble :( has the scene always had these issues or are they only just starting to happen ?

just like going to a nighter and at a nighter back in the 70ts :lol:

Social source share

I think if were going to try and sort this problem out then lets just keep it on the subject, and not diverse to other events dances or whatever, so serious comments can be observed and noted, and we can then try and get on top of the problem of drunks attending and spoiling our venues.. thanks

Social source share

Problem is that something that was "underground" 35 years ago has become very much "mainstream". Ian Levine predicted in 1975 that the scene would end up like this with the same music being played & middle aged people dressing as they did back then - he wasn't far wrong !!!.

The word "handbagger" (hate the word !!!) is on at least 2 threads on this forum & it is all over facebook - yet many people deny that they have them at their gig - simple fact is if you put a "Northern Soul" night on that is the type of people you attract.

What happened to the days of going out to hear newly discovered tunes - that was my REASON for going to them in the first place !!!

There are pockets of people still trying to play "rare soul" & they are the venues that should be patronised & encouraged.

Yes, IAN was right about that prediction but I think once it gets to records/playlists, your theory becomes a little 'skewed' as regards these people and their attendance at 'Northern Soul' nights...

If we are talking about real 'handbaggers' here, even the Top 500 records are virtually 'unknowns' to a majority of these type of people...I know that for a fact having deliberately engaged with some of them at oldies do's and even with some I went to school with and who have suddenly started turning up at odd things now...

Best example was when we went to THE BLUE LAGOON in Pompey a couple of years ago...When I complained about the stale playlist on Facebook the next day, 'I wanna love you tomorrow' etc, etc...MARTIN JACKSON (Lovely bloke) came on and said 'Yes, but Rich you have to realise, that for a fair few people we're getting in now, things like Benny Troy are new records!'... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

That's not really the point though is it Rich, saying there's worse out there doesn't solve what's perceived as an increasing problem. Presumably people who go to hip hop and ragga nights go because they like the music and everything associated with it. Same for people, or it was, on the northern scene, we expect a bit more when it comes to etiquette, is it really too much to ask?

Fair comment....

But back in the day I do recall the odd fisticuffs and various 'disputes' regarding certain 'aspects', perhaps just the nature of the 'trouble' has changed...(Actually some right tear-up's, as it goes, in certain places, which rarely happens now)...

At the end of the day, as I keep saying it has to be the Promoter and the Venue who stay on top of it...Part of the responsibility when you put on an event is to to keep your punters happy and when we do the West Indian Club at Easter, we simply will not allow any 'waliys' (There's an old word!) through the door...Having said that, at the last event there, the club took record bar takings since it's opening in 1973 and not a ounce of trouble....So it can be done obviously.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

obviously Rich you did not where rosetinted specs either :lol::rofl:

No mate....Indeed not! Sometimes I wonder whether I was on another planet the way things can be portrayed on here....One of the best threads I have ever read on soulsource was the one about the past and dodgy characters/stuff on the scene...Having said that I understand why people get upset....... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

just like going to a nighter and at a nighter back in the 70ts :lol:

Things were a bit different then though Rob, young teenagers, filled with testosterone with affiliations to football clubs and associated violence, there was always going to be the odd punch up. We're now in our 4Ts and 5Ts, why is it still happening?

Social source share

Yes, IAN was right about that prediction but I think once it gets to records/playlists, your theory becomes a little 'skewed' as regards these people and their attendance at 'Northern Soul' nights...

If we are talking about real 'handbaggers' here, even the Top 500 records are virtually 'unknowns' to a majority of these type of people...I know that for a fact having deliberately engaged with some of them at oldies do's and even with some I went to school with and who have suddenly started turning up at odd things now...

Best example was when we went to THE BLUE LAGOON in Pompey a couple of years ago...When I complained about the stale playlist on Facebook the next day, 'I wanna love you tomorrow' etc, etc...MARTIN JACKSON (Lovely bloke) came on and said 'Yes, but Rich you have to realise, that for a fair few people we're getting in now, things like Benny Troy are new records!'... :hatsoff2:

Problem is there are more venues that cater for "these type of people" (what a horrible phrase that is !!!). There are plenty of gigs like this every week less than 5 miles from everyone's house all claiming that they don't play the "same old" when in reality they do !!!

I have co promoted a modern soul night on The Fylde Coast for just over 7 years - we play modern underground soulful dance music - the same ethos as got me into the music nearly 40 years ago. It may not be the music of everybody's taste on Soul Source but it's vibrant & progressive - all the things the Northern scene could & should be !!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thing is - when you're 21 and don't give a fook cos your immortal, like I thought I was, it's all the craic. At mid 50, wife in tow, you tend to wanna enjoy yerself without any hassles eh?

It's called growing up in some circles.... and getting old in others! :lol: Ah... The Circle Of Life!...... :lol::thumbup:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Problem is there are more venues that cater for "these type of people" (what a horrible phrase that is !!!). There are plenty of gigs like this every week less than 5 miles from everyone's house all claiming that they don't play the "same old" when in reality they do !!!

I have co promoted a modern soul night on The Fylde Coast for just over 7 years - we play modern underground soulful dance music - the same ethos as got me into the music nearly 40 years ago. It may not be the music of everybody's taste on Soul Source but it's vibrant & progressive - all the things the Northern scene could & should be !!!

Still don't think you're getting my drift...For most of these people, there are five thousand 'oldies' we know which are brand new spanking records to them so it does not matter what you play actually, they could not tell you who the artists were or the labels if you gave them all night, even at a bog standard oldies do...

woh...Breaks onnnn!!! That last paragraph risks taking this into that old, thorny, much traveled and much agonised over soulsource territory and I think takes this thread away over the 'off-subject' hill...(Which I normally have no problem with but not oldies v newies v house, oh no, no pleeeeaaassssse!).... :lol::rofl::excl:

Social source share

No mate....Indeed not! Sometimes I wonder whether I was on another planet the way things can be portrayed on here....One of the best threads I have ever read on soulsource was the one about the past and dodgy characters/stuff on the scene...Having said that I understand why people get upset....... :hatsoff2:

So do i and it does my napper in too ...

Social source share

Things were a bit different then though Rob, young teenagers, filled with testosterone with affiliations to football clubs and associated violence, there was always going to be the odd punch up. We're now in our 4Ts and 5Ts, why is it still happening?

Hmmmm....A fair few of the people I know are still exactly like that in their 40s and 50s WIN!...... :lol:

Social source share

I think on the whole Winston it bothers us more because we are older and some a bit wiser , a bit of aggro is always going to happen now and then with established folks on the scene and newbies some that dont belong but sadly we are only a reflection of society in general

Social source share

Still don't think you're getting my drift...For most of these people, there are five thousand 'oldies' we know which are brand new spanking records to them so it does not matter what you play actually, they could not tell you who the artists were or the labels if you gave them all night, even at a bog standard oldies do...

woh...Breaks onnnn!!! That last paragraph risks taking this into that old, thorny, much traveled and much agonised over soulsource territory and I think takes this thread away over the 'off-subject' hill...(Which I normally have no problem with but not oldies v newies v house, oh no, no pleeeeaaassssse!).... :lol::rofl::excl:

Don't want to get into oldies v newies myself either.

Went to a Northern night before Christmas - music was ok - not very imaginative but pleasant enough. Got chatting to some old mates who still do All Nighters & have stayed with the Northern Scene . Got chatting to them about a few of Butch's tunes & how exciting the unreleased Pied Piper stuff that Ady had discovered sounded. Their eyes glazed over - they did not have a clue what I was on about - they all trudged off to the dancefloor to dance to something like "Girl Across The Street"

My point is where has the hunger & the excitement gone ? I get that with new music & also with the new discoveries I hear from the likes of Butch & Ady.

Social source share

I think on the whole Winston it bothers us more because we are older and some a bit wiser , a bit of aggro is always going to happen now and then with established folks on the scene and newbies some that dont belong but sadly we are only a reflection of society in general

You'll have to admit that some didn't belong in 1974 either. Just depends who the judge and jury are.

Social source share

Don't want to get into oldies v newies myself either.

Went to a Northern night before Christmas - music was ok - not very imaginative but pleasant enough. Got chatting to some old mates who still do All Nighters & have stayed with the Northern Scene . Got chatting to them about a few of Butch's tunes & how exciting the unreleased Pied Piper stuff that Ady had discovered sounded. Their eyes glazed over - they did not have a clue what I was on about - they all trudged off to the dancefloor to dance to something like "Girl Across The Street"

My point is where has the hunger & the excitement gone ? I get that with new music & also with the new discoveries I hear from the likes of Butch & Ady.

So do quite a few of us, but we just said we are not going down that lane!

'My point is where has the hunger & the excitement gone ? I get that with new music & also with the new discoveries I hear from the likes of Butch & Ady.'

Now, what has that got to do with people getting pissed at do's or not lol???!!!! (Just to clarify, I was at the last 100 Club listening to Butch and enjoying a very greedy allowance of JACK DANIELS at the same time and occasionally hitting the floor, hopefully not to much to the distress of others....).... :D

Social source share

You'll have to admit that some didn't belong in 1974 either. Just depends who the judge and jury are.

A lot did not belong or at least felt like they did not in 1974, that's why they found the scene so exciting and such a relief from normal life..... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I do so love it when you are on top form with astute one-liners.... :wave:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It is a tricky one to deal with ,soul people are like any other folk and the odd time they step out of line - be it drinks on the floor ,domestic problems brought out with them etc.. drinkers are notoriously difficult to reason with regardless of the arena ! All a promoter can do is have at least two doormen who can motor a bit ,who understand the scene and pay attention to the front of house (of course finding security with a badge and ability is near on impossible) never the less punters safety is paramount so if you haven't got them forget about running events.I certainly wouldn't be happy if anything untoward happened to anyone at a venue i was involved with ,the cattle prod is perfect so long as both prongs hit home - seen some big lads fall when poked in the past.Best solution is to put Mace and the Bidds team on front of house - enough to frighten even the most dedicated soul fan off ...

Oh No Mr Dyson...I'm not scary...I'm a sweetie. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Debbie Dee 100% correct theres more and more and its snowballing without doubt,why should YOU HAVE TO MOVE, you paid youre money you want to have a good dance and be in the soulelement company, and then what happens you see him staggering over the dancefloor thinks hes THE BOLLOCKS shitfaced up f...r then hes dancing around you like something out of a f...n TARZON film then thats it night f...d again !!!

Well, if that happens then the promoter is not doing his job properly, his job to watch out for that and get those people out...There can only be a lot of problems if a lot of people are not watching their doors properly and are letting in too many idiots and if you know a do is full of them, why go in the first place?....Got to be honest, I don't understand a lot of the posts on here...

Ask ADY LUPTON what happened when a group of blokes like this came into his VA VA VOOM do last year and started taking the piss bigtime...

They got absolutely hammered by the Southampton boys...So, if at last resort, doormen fail, veterans to the rescue!... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

the young guys with football affiliations are the most liekly of the current batch of youngsters to get into a scene like the northern scene IMO and do exactly as you did at times.

not everybody is in there 40s and 50s.

Social source share

I could sort the problem in one,get the" promoter" to ask a potential pi%%head on entry to name 10 or even 20 northern tunes on entry,but even some soulies might struggle. :facepalm: .Plan B?

Social source share

exactly and especially when most rattle on about 1 big soul family, ktf etc etc etc,

im not one to tell anyone to not do this or that to get them through i night that would be a tad hypicritical but on at least 4 out of the last 10 nights nighters ive been to with Marie we have left feeling quite peeved off for various reasons and if we have to put up with another incident i really dont know if im going to be man enough to walk away for the sake of not upsetting the applecart and getting a bad name cos ive twatted someone but this and the many other things going on at some nights nighters really aint worth the shit feeling it leaves with us for the following days, weeks etc.

lifes to short and for all the good people on the scene it only takes 1 or 2 to ruin it for many, gutted cos for me its all about the music and the many friends ive made through the music,

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

Have read most of the posts on this thread.

I myself havent been out for a few months .

Last 2 nighters I attended were Burnley and Nottingham.

Used to do them most weeks up until a year ago so do I take it the pseudo-soulies and morons have multiplied in which case I might as well not bother with most nighters except Lifeline I reckon.

The scene and the music has now been diluted to such an extent that the best thing to do IMHO is to attend the rare soul nighters only since one hopes that the sounds will be so "alien" to these people that they wont bother.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Well, if that happens then the promoter is not doing his job properly, his job to watch out for that and get those people out...There can only be a lot of problems if a lot of people are not watching their doors properly and are letting in too many idiots and if you know a do is full of them, why go in the first place?....Got to be honest, I don't understand a lot of the posts on here...

Ask ADY LUPTON what happened when a group of blokes like this came into his VA VA VOOM do last year and started taking the piss bigtime...

They got absolutely hammered by the Southampton boys...So, if at last resort, doormen fail, veterans to the rescue!... :hatsoff2:

I was there that night and the the 4 or 5 idiots that took the piss were doing it for at least an hour before someone snapped and they were turned on and quite rightly because they totally asked for it.

However, earlier on in the evening when I was waiting to be served at the bar, one of a group of three soulie skinhead guys next to me pulled back his arm as if to sucker punch me, when I naturally flinched they all three cracked up at my reaction, I don't look like the average soul boy - for a start I have shoulder length hair, so obviously it was a case of 'lets have a laugh and scare the hippy' , anyway I ignored them because you get d**kheads everywhere - what can you do !

If I wasnt a soul fan, not a great gesture of welcome to the scene. These same guys of course were very active later in the evening ejecting the piss takers.

Having said that it was hilarious watching one of the piss takers actually begging to be allowed to leave !!!

Social source share

I was there that night and the the 4 or 5 idiots that took the piss were doing it for at least an hour before someone snapped and they were turned on and quite rightly because they totally asked for it.

However, earlier on in the evening when I was waiting to be served at the bar, one of a group of three soulie skinhead guys next to me pulled back his arm as if to sucker punch me, when I naturally flinched they all three cracked up at my reaction, I don't look like the average soul boy - for a start I have shoulder length hair, so obviously it was a case of 'lets have a laugh and scare the hippy' , anyway I ignored them because you get d**kheads everywhere - what can you do !

If I wasnt a soul fan, not a great gesture of welcome to the scene. These same guys of course were very active later in the evening ejecting the piss takers.

Having said that it was hilarious watching one of the piss takers actually begging to be allowed to leave !!!

It was my best mates on the scene who did most of the sorting out that night, WIDD, WINNIE, GUY COOCH etc...They might look like soulie 'skinhead' types to you because their hair is short or they are bald and wear checked shirts, but they are Northern Soul fans who have been going to venues right back to the mid-70s...WIDD was a well known record dealer for donkey's years and one of the original oldies DJ's at the 100 Club, WINNY and GUY have been going for decades..

They might not be the most 'mellow' of types but like somebody has said, too many people look at what was/is the Northern scene with rose-tinted glasses and fail to realise it was a scene which originally attracted a lot of lads who were not averse to a punch up if needed and that is exactly what happened that night...They are lads who like a good drink at do's and niters too but when it got right out of hand, they stepped up and sorted it in no uncertain fashion, but in truth we have to get to a point where those types of people who caused it, simply don't get admitted...

Then people would not have to take on that 'sorting' role...Memberships are a nice idea but too many people don't come on here and promoters would be turning punters away etc...It has to be about Promoters taking the responsibility to watch their doors and having policies which put real Soul fans first ahead of trying to make money out of the twats and divs...If people then realise they are being looked after, they'll come back but surely it is simple...If a venue is run shoddily, do not bother going there again... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Membership schemes would help but security is the only answer.

Good bouncers don't just stop fights and kick people out, they prevent most troublemakers from even getting in - and they deter most others just by looking capable.

Once it's known that a venue has good bouncers, the troublemakers will stay away or be extra well behaved.

Sadly good bouncers aren't always easy to find and the cost may put some promoters off.

But promoters have to protect the customers and staff from violence, intimidation and theft etc.

Paul

Social source share

the scene is full of incidents ive witnessed loads over last few years and heard of many too, women being harrassed, djs being abused, thefts of records, coats and handbags, soulies being assaulted and abused, not all them related to pisheads but 99% are, not saying its happening every week but its defo going on and will carry on unless it can be nipped in the bud which i think is nigh on impossible, sooner or later someones going to get seriously hurt and someones going to get into serious trouble :( has the scene always had these issues or are they only just starting to happen ?

You're living too dangerously Bearsy, you should get yourself to the nice and safe Lifeline more often..... :lol:

Social source share

...and if a good bouncer happens to have good taste in music he also could stop some DJs playing naff records.

Everyone wins.

:rofl: ...I've just been knocked out

Social source share

Its certainly not a problem specific to the scene and I think a sad reflection of the change in alcohol consumption in the nation over the last 20 year, ie since rave culture started to cut into breweries profits and alcohol was hard- sold to the youth market in many new ways, anyone evey see mock syringes of shots in the mid 9ts?

Basically for many young people today the main purpose of going out is to get absolutely bladdered as soon as possible and the culture that goes with that, think 18 to 30's hol mentality has no respect for anything other than who's getting the next round. So a scene like our's with a delicate culture of respect and many quirky mannerisms is so completely alien to the mainstream public, its not suprising they have no comprehension of how to behave.

While i agree with your comment about youngsters and alcohol today...i was having this conversation with fellow dj john stapleton who plays on many different scenes and i think this IS a specific problem to THIS scene as neither of us had come across other scenes or clubs which banned drinks on the dancefloor?...was chatting with bouncers at stafford reunion and they were shocked there were no drinks because every other night in that club the dancfloor would be soaked by 2am...

dean

Social source share

Yep, I concur with you Mate. The drinking at venues here is much more placid and I'd wager that's because the culture is different. Having said that - there have been a couple of incidents where people have had to be removed from Allnighters here that I've attended. One bloke actually spat a whole bottle of beer at some young girls. Security guy at the Valencia Allnighters was a great bloke. Professional, agood sport and knew when to 'step in' early enough and in the right way to ensure no knobbers got out of hand.

Hitsville Weekender - Try stopping the people having a drink? No chance! He He! We do both - drink AND dance! Never had an ounce of trouble.

Regards,

Dave

Exactly...And you'd never let any twats in through the door even if they were offering to pay treble or whatever DAVE, which is what I'm saying, down to people having a firm hand on their venues and having their door 'policies' set in stone from the off...When I've ever been to these type of do's and they are full of idiots, I never bother to go back but it's all down to the Promoters, can't see how people can't just grasp that straight away... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

The title of this thread is just another way of promoters slagging off other venues, as Jock has posted on a thread earlier same old argument (with a different title). It seems to aime at the same venues nights,nighters, tit for tat. Remember a lot of punters go to these nights to enjoy the music and enjoy a tipple or two, be it they have been into the music 30 years or 30 mins. You will always get the odd one or two who go over the top,but the way this threads going it seems to be a major problem. At the end of the day the venues that keep their house in order will survive. Im a punter and a collector and in the 40 years ive been into the music i enjoy my nights as much as i did back in the old days. Handbaggers,pissheads,snorters(worse than the others mentioned) part of life these days on any scene,if you cant be bothered with the odd minor incident put your big slipper on stay at home and nobody will bother you.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Simple answer to that Winnie..most of the idiots we are talking about firstly can't handle their piss and, secondly don't like to think others can do what they can't..ie dance and have a good time without making cock heads of themselves.

Social source share

On a positive note I took my youngest daughter ( she,s 24 ) to a soul night and she was amazed at the atmosphere the freindlyness , the fact she didnt witness any trouble suprised her .

She was facinated that the dancefloor was always full and that middle aged people could dance till the early hours and at the end of the night still be hanging about chatting .

On a personel level I wont drink at a soul venue I dont associate drink and soul together .

Social source share

seems some are making "token" gestures to keep them out .. no one in after 11 pm ..or 10.45 ... thats not much good is it .. most people who are there for the music/ dancing are in a soul night by 10 at the latest ...normaly 9.30 unless at work late ... even then a true soulie is always known to the door people anyway ... seems to me closing the doors so late is still inviting them in, they will just leave the pub they are in 15 mins early ...if yer run such a venue that suffers from '' misbehaved '' punters then close the doors at 10 ! .. get memberships too ...

pete

Edited by casper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This thread is interesting. If people misbehave, either through too much booze, or simply being anti-social and conducting themselves contrary to perceived soul ethics, kick the buggers out and be done with it. Seems to me that the tolerance threshold for this sort of behaviour is too generous, right? Not even a warning should be necessary. Perhaps a quick 'can we have a word upstairs/at the door please' type approach should be adopted. Once away from the 'sensitive zones', they can be put out, either politely or forcefully. As regards banning booze after 2am. Sod that. Why should I pay for someone else's sins?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest steve64

At a recent soul night a p*ss head punched my sister in the face, the bouncers had him out the door sharpish. We dont blame the promotors, landlord or security, just the drunk non soulie who did it. Dont have an answer how to stop it as he was probably sober when he came in to the place.

Social source share

At a recent soul night a p*ss head punched my sister in the face, the bouncers had him out the door sharpish. We dont blame the promotors, landlord or security, just the drunk non soulie who did it. Dont have an answer how to stop it as he was probably sober when he came in to the place.

:ohmy: That is shocking !! I hope your sister recovered quickly :thumbsup:

Social source share

At our night before Xmas we had three obligatory guys around 18/20 years old do the usual thing.

They stagger in, do a double take at the 'oldies' dancing wierdly and start laughing

Then they try out their moves on the dance floor - taking the piss, eyeing everyone up - the usual stuff.

So I go alongside one guy and tell him he's very welcome to be here

"You what mate" he says. I tell him it's my night and a private party but they can stay, its no problem.

He looks me up and down, - as much as you can when you are pissed. :P

I then feel quite good in that I have befirended him but made it clear they have to behave in a subtle kind of way.

Then one of our friends goes up to his mate and gets up close and personal, - stands toe to toe with him and says "You should all f*** Off"

- the look on this 18 year olds face as a grown woman possibly his mums age has told him to get the eck off our boat. Priceless.

They didnt come back... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!