Handbaggers (P**s Heads)

Anton L

It's obviously never crossed your mind that those of us who do enjoy a drink but don't cause problems are just as annoyed about the drunks as you are. You are of course entitled to go and find an allnighter that doesnt have a bar, but as Chalky said, you'll struggle. In the mean time, if you see someone who is drunk and being a nuisance, tell the promoter, but leave those of us who are no problem alone, we're not the problem, so saying that anyone who likes a drink should "stay the fook away from you" is not the answer.

Dave would agree 100% but a little caviat to that phet heads who cant handle it are just as bad and annoying as piss heads

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was surprised too, I gave him the benefit of the doubt to start with but when dancers were forced to walk away and dance elsewhere and he moved on to another then he had to go.

Really?....they didn't just ignore it, but actually moved away rather than deal with it. Unbelievable!

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

It's obviously never crossed your mind that those of us who do enjoy a drink but don't cause problems are just as annoyed about the drunks as you are. You are of course entitled to go and find an allnighter that doesnt have a bar, but as Chalky said, you'll struggle. In the mean time, if you see someone who is drunk and being a nuisance, tell the promoter, but leave those of us who are no problem alone, we're not the problem, so saying that anyone who likes a drink should "stay the fook away from you" is not the answer.

As a none drinker thats supports most nighters everywhere and someone that has a partner that would out drink most of you at the table iam fully aware of soulies that like a drink and dont cause problems mr rimmer thank you.

Social source share

Think whats happening here now is that the true soulies all on here now !! are trying to find a solution to a very, like i said earlier hard 1 to solve, it can be done people to like to drink, and other people like to do other things,everyone to there own !! we all know the people or should do when they arrive on the door and the promoter should nip it in the bud right there ..say no more, or it comes back and bites you in the bum !!

Social source share

Didnt some nights just ask you to produce a valid club membership, does not need to be specific to that night?

Anybody remotely serious would have a card for some local night they attend - 100 club, SoulFusion etc etc

I used to carry round a wodge back in the day, but now I dont have a single membership to a soul club in me wallet, been to loads of nights over the last couple of years and I've neither been offered a membership or needed one to gain entry.

Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

I`ll have you know i never Dance on the Drinkfloor [hic], seriously though can be annoying i agree, but as Mr rimmer has said those who are sensible and keep away from the dancefloor aint a problem, its allways been like an unwritten rule on the scene. :rofl:

H........ iam getting people who stand 2 feet away with pints in there hands, wtf is that all about iam a whirlwind never no whats coming next and they have attitude when you ask them to move.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

:lol: :lol: you tell em Lee, ive nearly caught a cropper off a flying leg of yours a couple of times, hope your both okmatey :thumbsup:

All good here mate, i swear this is coming your way if yer get to close to me cuz ive had enough of it .

bosch straight in the boat race .....

319207_10150425810875400_740470399_10812327_2040136511_n-1.jpg

Social source share

well said dave I like a few pints and don't think i've ever caused any problems.........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

well said dave I like a few pints and don't think i've ever caused any problems.........

Them beers are making you a bit slow on the uptake we have established it aint every one lets not pursue that road .

Social source share

I think it's missing the point a bit. As Chalkie very rightly said "to think you can get a venue without alcohol you are living with the fairies" and I for one have no problem with anyone if they want to get drunk or even hit up heroin, but if it starts to interfere with the majority of fun loving soul fan. With membership in place, town center based events can very easily turn people away, as your average p**s head doesn't carry a soul membership in his pocket and will find it easy to understand when told "sorry members only" we all have at least one soul club membership and all clubs could accept any membership. it's that simple.

Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

Kinnell, now that looks painful, :lol: you know me n dancefloors mate, i never go near em, usually found lookin through them black round thingy`s :thumbsup:

Would hurt wouldnt if i caught you with that :wicked::P

Social source share

Steve & i went to a local soul night down south on sat night just for a drink & to get out for a few hours, we walked in to high heels & handbags on the floor, i started to danced as two of these girls nearly knocked me over to dance right in front of me, then a guy decided to draw a line on the floor by tipping his beer bottle & forming beer lines, i walked off shaking my head so p***ed off i had enough & that was only after an hour, we ended up dancing on the carpet on our own at the back of the room untill they spoilt it by playing a whiney houston track (i love her music & her) not at a soul nite pls, it was a night we won't be attending again :wave:

Social source share

at go go children in bristol we are in the process of collecting email adds and names for a membership scheme although not because we have had trouble but due to too many people, we have been in a situation where there was no where to put your drink!...because of this we are also haveing admission deadline of about 12 unless we have already been told of a members late coming...

this will not be rigid...members may bring guests and if some obvious soul fans turn up not having membership as long as its not rammed they will be let in...most of those who may cause problems come late,only come the once so wont bother joining and 'sorry mate,members only' is a good way of refusing them entrance without them getting in a piss cos we dont like the look of them....i dont think violence is the answer as that is a bigger way to finish a nite off than a few spilt drinks

i dont think alcohol free nights will work at all...remember back in the day alcohol wasnt wanted/needed cos there were so many (not all!) who were speeding!...not so now

as i said for us its down to numbers,most people either not 'on the scene' or new to it have been polite when told about drinks...we had 90 in last month and no spilt drinks but the month before with 140 in there was...

as yet we havnt had a doorman but we are now in the process of sorting one out too...this may ofcourse see the adm go up but at the moment we only charge £3 so have room to move with that...we just have to hope the landlord doesnt mind fewer drinkers!!

dean

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I know it's an old adage , but back in the day, in the 70's there was no beer at allnighters

so i didn't miss it and was possibly a good thing

Now a days there is beer and at the risk of being called an old fart , don't understand why ?

if people back in the day would have wanted a drink

i'm sure they could have brought ample into a venue in their holdalls

i have also seen these "Townie" piss pots and there is nothing more annoying ,

and yes i thiink they are only there for a bit of after hours drinking

It does have potential for flash points and for trouble

So for me there shouldn't be any alcohol , and i speak as a total beer monster who breathes the stuff !

we never missed it back then , and even now if i go to a soul do , i drink cordial , usually about 10 pints of the stuff

i can drink beer any day of the week , and usually do !

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I think it's missing the point a bit. As Chalkie very rightly said "to think you can get a venue without alcohol you are living with the fairies" and I for one have no problem with anyone if they want to get drunk or even hit up heroin, but if it starts to interfere with the majority of fun loving soul fan. With membership in place, town center based events can very easily turn people away, as your average p**s head doesn't carry a soul membership in his pocket and will find it easy to understand when told "sorry members only" we all have at least one soul club membership and all clubs could accept any membership. it's that simple.

Jesus Christ ! i certainly would not want to be associated with a soul do where people spiked Heroin !
Social source share

I agree Anton memberships would be a good solution as most non Soul fans wouldn't take the time to apply for one.

I like a drink at events and sometimes it's impossible not to at least go around the side of the floor to get to your table.

As for the 70s there were very few alldayers or Soul nights that didn't serve alcohol - allnighters tended to be alcohol free but not alldayers.

I think most Soul fans know how to behave even when they've had a few but outsiders can certainly be a problem and nearly all the trouble I've witnessed over the years has come from non Soul fans either taking the piss or being terrortorial about nighters being held on their patch.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Dave would agree 100% but a little caviat to that phet heads who cant handle it are just as bad and annoying as piss heads

Agreed that both are annoying Rob, but on balance do you think it's more likely to be people who are drunk acting up than those whizzing, cos my experience is it's the former rather than the latter.

Social source share

Well well well !! only the other night i was talking on this topic and its hard one to sort, for eg i just ran (only for a few events) a nighter in Manchester where my partner REFUSED between 30/40 people saying to them the venue wasnt for them, now the manager when he found out wasnt happy cause all he wanted was the money over the bar!! Now then other people dont care its money in there pockets and maybe turn a blind eye to it ?? In a nutshell like the comments made the REAL SOUL ELEMENT and using my best French dont want PISSED UP F...ING ARSOLES spoiling OUR nights out where alot of people travel a far distance to listen and a have a good dance with good company.I has a promoter think its about time there was a members club formed with photo id and a cost to join but would get you a discount on tickets for weekenders/nighters/dayers all the big venues i am convinced that the Piss Pot wouldnt want to pay to any Northern Soul Members Club and hence they couldnt get in to our events and spoil them !! JUST A VERY STRONG THOUGHT.. :hatsoff2: See you all out at the weekend !!!

Great idea Ian

Perhaps a membership card from soilsource ??

Photo id

Any bother and your banned from all participating venues ?

Spike (I'll get me coat!)

Cya Friday

Social source share

I HAVE ONLY JUST SEEN THIS THREAD AND I WILL BE HONEST HAVE NOT READ ALL THE REPLIES SO WHAT I SAY MAY ALREADY HAVE BEEN SAID BUT THIS IS MY THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT,TO ME IT IS THE PROMOTERS RESPONSIBILITY ANY REAL SOUL PROMOTER WILL NOT PUT MONEY BEFORE ENSURING THE RIGHT PEOPLE TO THE BEST OF HIS KNOWLEDGE ARE LET IN.I HAVE RUN MANY SOUL NIGHTS AND ALLNIGHTERS AS MOST PEOPLE WILL KNOW AT PRESENT I CO-PROMOTE THE NOTTINGHAM ALLNIGHTER BAR UNTIL 4 AND LOUGHBOROUGH MINI NIGHTER WITH BAR UNTIL 3 AND I WILL NOT TOLERATE THE WRONG PEOPLE TO RUIN THESE NIGHTS,WHEN I RAN AN ALLNIGHTER IN SHEFFIELD I HAD TO TELL THE DOORMEN TO TURN AT LEAST 20 YOUNG PEOPLE AWAY BECAUSE I KNEW LETTING THEM IN WOULD CREATE TROUBLE.BANNING DRINK WOULD KILL THE VENUES SO THAT IS NOT THE ANSWER,ONE QUESTION I WILL ASK IS WHY DO PROPER SOUL PEOPLE PAY TO GO TO SOUL DO,S RUN BY CERTAIN PROMOTERS KNOWING THIS IS THE SORT OF PEOPLE WHO WILL BE THERE SURELY THEY SHOULD ONLY SUPPORT GENUINE SOUL DO,S RUN BY PROMOTERS WITH THE SCENE AT HEART.

REGARDS SAM MOORE

Social source share

Great idea Ian

Perhaps a membership card from soilsource ??

Photo id

Any bother and your banned from all participating venues ?

Spike (I'll get me coat!)

Cya Friday

sounds a bit like pub watch too me

at farnborough soul nites they have door staff on duty...plus no admittance unless by prior arrangement after 10.30

outsiders will always try it on hoping for a late drink

i remember an incident at the escape soul club in morden...5 men came in from the pub down stairs and asked if they could come in...i said yes but it might not be your thing...i told them that if after 30 minutes they realised it wasnt for them they could leave with a full refund...they had only been in 10 minutes when one of them asked if it was a gay club as there wasnt many ladies there....i called to my mate dave and said...this bloke wants to know if your gay......they looked at him and said...is our half hour up yet...lololol

full refund and no grief

atb moldie

Social source share

I usually have at least one pint of beer when I'm at a nighter and I enjoy that option. Maybe I should have missed out the p**shead bit. The point is, a non soulie coming to a northern/rare soul do, feels out of place so start to play up usually disrupting the people that are there for the music and they are more often than not drunk. P**sed up soulies are very often as funny as a wrecked ones, but if someone not in to soul, pays good money to get a late drink they soon get stroppy and start playing up. I know cos I know how I would get if I had to attend their night clubs. It would take about 15 minutes and I would taking the piss out of the music, people and most anything!!

Social source share

well, violence shoudn't be the answer! risks losing a good venue permanently. Not to mention dentist bills...

Membership? Yeah. why not. helps erradicate opportunist p*ss heads/ non-soulies (if no door staff). I realise this takes a dedicated 'promoter admin' to sort, and I'd expect members to get a few quid off, say £10 - £12 standard nite entrance, else whats the point for members? Any member nonsense inside, its down to the promoter to ban/ deal with as appropriate.

As for spillage and idiots on / near the floor, there's always a level of 'social interaction' in this area. But you can't seperate the two most enjoyable apects of our scene: dancing, and a few bevvies. :D Some venues, you gotta cross the dancefloor to get to the bar. It's just very frustrating dancing with some p*ssed up spacker getting in the way of natural soulful enjoyment... but it's a factor of any niter. you have my sympathy if your night was completely ruined by such. :(

So what to do? For me, this defines the difference between good & poor promoters. Good ones's do stay to the end of the night and beyond, constantly keep an eye on things, listen to punters feedback, and sort things out as and when stuff happens. It's from the promotors that improvements are driven. Promotors can't be 'everywhere' all night though...

Punters shouldn't feel intimidated about approaching drink spillers either - for a friendly word or two - depending on levels of noise /drunkeness. We shouldn't feel at risk of confrontation over a few words about keeping the liquid off the dancefloor. The 'scene' is surely a 'universally friendly' one, isn't it? :wink:

Great idea to police the floor. (seen talc police! why not drinks police) seen it work. Not 100% guaranteed but ensures floor remains a decent state. Well done to all promoters that will / and already enforce it. :thumbsup:

So yeah Anton, membership would defo improve things IMO. :thumbsup:

Edited by dave2
Social source share

SIMPLE DRINK FREE DANCE FLOOR, 1ST SIGN OF ANY PISS TALKING etc etc OUT THEY GO let all us promoters put this to practice, Just as naughty boy said

Thats what we have at the weekenders Zero Tolerance and we put a sign up , best way for all concerned .. Was at a venue not many months ago and the two promoters kicked a tw#t out that didnt belong ...in there

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

I`ll have you know i never Dance on the Drinkfloor [hic], seriously though can be annoying i agree, but as Mr rimmer has said those who are sensible and keep away from the dancefloor aint a problem, its allways been like an unwritten rule on the scene. :rofl:

When its a bit tight for space around the dancefloor edge,its can be quite a task getting back from B to A.The layout of some of the smaller venues means its almost a military operation getting back to your buddies without spilling a drop.

Most dancers nod,and let you by,but some make it difficult and force you around them and onto the dancefloor!! Try as you might,sometimes it can't be helped.

At the larger venues ,were people dance and drink,there's no excuse.

I'm all for memberships btw.

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

you or your mate where an embarrassment on the mic at brid last year through to much beer pal.

Social source share

you or your mate where an embarrassment on the mic at brid last year through to much beer pal.

Yeh for last hour let my hair down mate hardly a drink all weekend with the hours that have to be done and then emptied the place of equipment , go shake your head , you aint going to find a drink free venue period they were only drink free in the 70ts because of the licensing laws of the day . maybe we should find a church hall with cucumber sarnies and pop

many nighters the bar closes the vast majority go home , i for one used to look forward to the bar closing

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Is that guy behind dipping his finger in a massive bag of whizz?

hope so!!!.......drugs thats the answer

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest kev such

Cracker policy is simple regarding this issue. As the promoter it is my responsibilty to police this, not the punters etc... Only been an issue at 2 out of 24 cream Crackers. When it comes to my attention I have a polite word regarding glasses on dancefloor, annoying others etc... If the problem persists then I offer them their money back and ask them to leave. This generally works and doesnt enflame the situation. However should this approach not work them they are sent packing. Simples!!!!!

Regards

Kev (dont do modern) Such

Social source share

.... but in the last couple of years, more niters have seen violence caused by HANDBAGGERS or P**s heads who have no interest in the soul scene, just a place for a late drink and to take the p**s out of soul fans.

Anton, is this mainly on the oldies circuit, cus I haven't seen any such violence at nighters but obviously don't go mainy oldies niters.

Then again, it could've been happening but I've been that newted I ain't noticed :lol:

Where exactly is this becoming such a problem?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was just thinking to myself, as you do, "wonder if Dave is reading no alcohol at nighters stuff" never seen a man drink so much and still have a smile on his face, take a joke with a smile, and give it back with a smile..........top man!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anton, is this mainly on the oldies circuit, cus I haven't seen any such violence at nighters but obviously don't go mainy oldies niters.

Then again, it could've been happening but I've been that newted I ain't noticed :lol:

Where exactly is this becoming such a problem?

Think that you have actually hit upon something here Mace.

Me thinks on thinking on it, you are correct in assuming that it happens only at "oldies" events...........hmmmm :g: No answer as to why this should be the case though.

Social source share

Guest David Ryan

I mopped up a spilt drink in the middle of the dancefloor downstairs before someone wiped out on it-it had nothing to do with me but I dealt with it-I could of been a soft drink-it could of been beer-I didn't see anyone at the dome dancing with drinks in their hand up or downstairs-it's very intimidating being around such amazing dancers when your a crap dancer with the rythym of a broken cuckoo clock and a bit of Dutch courage is the only way I can do it-you don't have to get blotto its just a bit of dancefloor lubrication if you like-

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!