Soulclub - Donations Etc

Guest 50box

You can't legal make deleted records free of charge, the best legal and free way to make these avaliable is as 30" streams, in the same way that Amazon and other websites do. I've been a massive user of the Soulclub and for reference for rare soul there's nothing to get anywhere near it, however Manship's website does host quite a large number of sound clips.

The copyright organisations are really only just getting to grips with the 'on-line' issue. It's not that they aren't concerned with small un-licensed on-line websites, but compared to the current size of some of the operations of bootleg commercial CD/DVD suppliers, this is where the most most effort is put.

You can't legal make deleted records free of charge, the best legal and free way to make these avaliable is as 30" streams, in the same way that Amazon and other websites do. I've been a massive user of the Soulclub and for reference for rare soul there's nothing to get anywhere near it, however Manship's website does host quite a large number of sound clips.

The copyright organisations are really only just getting to grips with the 'on-line' issue. It's not that they aren't concerned with small un-licensed on-line websites, but compared to the current size of some of the operations of bootleg commercial CD/DVD suppliers, this is where the most most effort is put.

TTM

TTM

You're right Tim. Basically is it illegal, but practically speaking, the music royalty collecting societies/labels etc have bigger fish to fry than to go after the excellent Soul Club website that deals in obscure 60s and 70s soul music that has little commercial value (compared to Robbie Williams/chart music in general - stick a newly released Robbie CD up on a website and they'll land on you as effectively you'd be stealing the income stream). If anything, these sort of niche websites act as a wonderful reference point for punters to get clued up on the music, which will often lead on to said punters buying re-issue CDs e.g the Kent output. As Chalky's said though, if e.g. people simply copy the latest Kent CD and put that up on their site in full, then that will be stealing from Kent who will have paid good money to license the tracks and produce the CD. Simply having one general reference library for individual tracks though is not likely to get anyone's back up I would suggest. So the site won't be down for legal reasons. Let's hope it's up and running soon though as it is a great resource :huh:

Rich

Edited by Rich Buckley
Social source share

• Replies 122
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The server costs money, while one can grab hardware cheap for a home PC from the local box shifter, hardware of this quality and with the performance required to run a site of this nature is not cheap.

Hosting the server in a data center with good connectivity and covering the fees associated with the traffic is also not cheap if one wants guarentees on performance.

Sure I could host it at some very discount webhoster, but you'd need to ask Nick R about his experiences keeping his site up before I gave him space on my server.

Last year when I had other problems I had a few people email me asking about the problems and I had one person (Alan?) mention something about subscriptions. I didn't see anyone offer to help in terms of their time or their money and I haven't this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining about the money, I've ran this site for years and never asked for anything and I don't now.

In terms of the legalities ... the enforcing body for recorded music is the RIAA and they only protect subscribing artists, those that are deleted or unknown or non-subscribers are not protected. I have had emails from various artists :huh: and none have expressed any dissatisfaction to me about their tracks on my site, most have been very supportive. There is also a question as to if streaming audio, which is what I do, is even illegal, but if I started requiring subscriptions or doing the google/yahoo adverts and making some money to cover my expenses then I would possibly stand differently from a legality point of view. Another reason why I remain semi-anonymous.

I prepared this before seeing the posting from atom himself above but I'll still post it to show what has been going on / discussed this day. I'm assuming that's okay with you atom?

Latest update on the situation with the soulclub.org website

Atom (the owner of soulclub.org) was asked what the problem was...his reply......

"Hardware failure. The server is old and requires expensive upgrades.

This sucker is expensive to run and I'm not sure I'm still motivated"

Further to that comment, atom also said,

"May have it back up and limping some time this coming week"

I then asked him,

"What kind of money are you talking about?

Only, there's loads of people out there who love your website. I'm sure a good few would be willing to stump up some money to help you out.

If it's just the lack of motivation that's stopping you from continuing with it, is there any possibility of transferring the whole thing to somebody else that might like to take over the reigns. There could be people here in the UK that might be willing to do that"

To which he replied,

"A new complete server is about $1000 or about 580 quid. Donations would be great. I've run the server FOC for years without ever asking for donations and I even feel a bit guilty now ... even though the server collocation and hardware replacements are never free"

So, what can WE do to help and how would we go about it? Indeed, are there enough people out there willing to stump up donations?

Soul Girl, does anybody come forward with donations to your site?

Looks like the ball has been left firmly in our court.

Interestingly, atom didn't respond to,

"If it's just the lack of motivation that's stopping you from continuing with it, is there any possibility of transferring the whole thing to somebody else that might like to take over the reigns"

Okay, atom's reply to the question,

"If it's just the lack of motivation that's stopping you from continuing with it, is there any possibility of transferring the whole thing to somebody else that might like to take over the reigns"

was,

"I don't see anyone volunteering to spend $1000 ... the server will still

need replacing"

I guess he's right. So, do we have anybody amongst us willing to volunteer to spend $1000 and take over atom's most valuable endeavour?

Let's hear all your comments???

We've had one already from Marc Forrest. I would give him $10, no problem. Sounds like Marc would too. What about the rest of you?

Social source share

Yep - 100 people @ $10 will do it. You'd prob need a guarantee from him beforehand that he is still motivated enough before we all send him a load of dosh (!!) but yeah, I'm happy to part with $10. Easiest way probably would be for him to set up a Paypal account (if he hasn't already). Have you sent him a link to this thread??

Rich

Social source share

Yep - 100 people @ $10 will do it. You'd prob need a guarantee from him beforehand that he is still motivated enough before we all send him a load of dosh (!!) but yeah, I'm happy to part with $10. Easiest way probably would be for him to set up a Paypal account (if he hasn't already). Have you sent him a link to this thread??

Rich

Yes, and he's already made a posting, as 'Atom' :o) So he'll be monitoring what's going on from here on in I guess. Hope he accepts and keeps it going. But like you said, he's got to be motivated enough. If not, then perhaps he will consent to pass it on to somebody else, if that's possible?

Social source share

I'm sure most people who frequent this site would be more than willing to contribute £10 to the cause.

How this is going to be organised is another thing.

Send him a £10 to a Paypal account ????

PayPal has already been muted. Let's see if 'atom' is still motivated enough first. After all, he's doing all the hard work but boy, does he bring lots of joy and a convenient Reference of very useful soundbytes to us all. :o)

Social source share

One or two... not a touch on what I spend for the hosting/separate net connection though. Still, I don't do it for the money either - I want to convert the whole world to northern soul :huh:

If Atom has lost the enthusiasm, I am more than happy to host the tunes on my own server... how many tunes did he have?

Edited by Soulgirl
Social source share

One or two... not a touch on what I spend for the hosting/separate net connection though. Still, I don't do it for the money either - I want to convert the whole world to northern soul :huh:

If Atom has lost the enthusiasm, I am more than happy to host the tunes on my own server... how many tunes did he have?

I'll make it THREE next chance I get on PayPal :o)

Social source share

What about swapping tapes/CD's etc of the records you own, hell i've being doing it years.

I wonder if there is some sort of legal ramifaction behind posting millions of sound files..?

I don't know, just wondered, i only do tapes of the original records i own for fellow collectors/fans, can any of the legal whizz kids on here clarify the situation..............am i allowed by law to record a vinyl record then pass it onto a fellow brother/sister of the soul scene.....

Brett

Brett.ask Pete Smith about this ,sure he had someone on his case about his cd's and got the situation clarified
Social source share

I prepared this before seeing the posting from atom himself above but I'll still post it to show what has been going on / discussed this day. I'm assuming that's okay with you atom?

Latest update on the situation with the soulclub.org website

Atom (the owner of soulclub.org) was asked what the problem was...his reply......

"Hardware failure. The server is old and requires expensive upgrades.

This sucker is expensive to run and I'm not sure I'm still motivated"

Further to that comment, atom also said,

"May have it back up and limping some time this coming week"

I then asked him,

"What kind of money are you talking about?

Only, there's loads of people out there who love your website. I'm sure a good few would be willing to stump up some money to help you out.

If it's just the lack of motivation that's stopping you from continuing with it, is there any possibility of transferring the whole thing to somebody else that might like to take over the reigns. There could be people here in the UK that might be willing to do that"

To which he replied,

"A new complete server is about $1000 or about 580 quid. Donations would be great. I've run the server FOC for years without ever asking for donations and I even feel a bit guilty now ... even though the server collocation and hardware replacements are never free"

So, what can WE do to help and how would we go about it? Indeed, are there enough people out there willing to stump up donations?

Looks like the ball has been left firmly in our court.

Interestingly, atom didn't respond to,

Okay, atom's reply to the question,

was,

"I don't see anyone volunteering to spend $1000 ... the server will still

need replacing"

I guess he's right. So, do we have anybody amongst us willing to volunteer to spend $1000 and take over atom's most valuable endeavour?

Let's hear all your comments???

We've had one already from Marc Forrest. I would give him $10, no problem. Sounds like Marc would too. What about the rest of you?

No problem $10 is his if he wants it, if we are all honest we would hold our hands up and say that we have used the files to improve our collections

Social source share

What about swapping tapes/CD's etc of the records you own, hell i've being doing it years.

I wonder if there is some sort of legal ramifaction behind posting millions of sound files..?

I don't know, just wondered, i only do tapes of the original records i own for fellow collectors/fans, can any of the legal whizz kids on here clarify the situation..............am i allowed by law to record a vinyl record then pass it onto a fellow brother/sister of the soul scene.....

Brett

Sorry Brett I have to tell you this is most definately not allowed,the law states as a penance you must give all your 45's to me :huh:

Social source share

I have to admit that the site being down has probably saved me stacks of dough because I use it to check the quality of tunes from sales lists. However the beauty of this scene is finding gems you never knew existed so I'd be more than willing to stump up $10. Keep me posted.

Warren Boogaloo

Social source share

Also posted to the Soul Talk forum, which I just joined ...

The server has been up for a long time, 5 years or so, and averages 20,000 hits a day last time I checked. The hardware is getting very old and needs replacing. I've never asked anyone for money and I hate to think about starting now but I just don't want to cough up $1000 for a new server on top of the monthly charges for hosting and the time I spend maintaining the site. I'll take your suggestions on what I can do.

I appreciate the offers of money but I don't want to take any unless I can be sure the total will cover the majority of a new server. Although I could get pissed on the proceeds. :huh:

Social source share

Guest FYLDECOAST

I have to admit that the site being down has probably saved me stacks of dough because I use it to check the quality of tunes from sales lists. However the beauty of this scene is finding gems you never knew existed so I'd be more than willing to stump up $10. Keep me posted.

Warren Boogaloo

Pretty much the same for me

$10 / £10 whatever it takes

Steve Mc

Social source share

The server has been up for a long time, 5 years or so, and averages 20,000 hits a day last time I checked. The hardware is getting very old and needs replacing. I've never asked anyone for money and I hate to think about starting now but I just don't want to cough up $1000 for a new server on top of the monthly charges for hosting and the time I spend maintaining the site. I'll take your suggestions on what I can do.

I appreciate the offers of money but I don't want to take any unless I can be sure the total will cover the majority of a new server. Although I could get pissed on the proceeds. :(

I'm sure there would be enough people on here alone willing to support you financially..... :huh:

Not sure how you would organise it but paypal seems to be the easiest option......

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

Count me in for $10 too - A wonderful resource and most probably my favourite webpage. :thumbsup:

I've often wondered how you payed for the bandwidth alone !!

Social source share

atom@pobox.com is the paypal acct ... I'll keep it open for a couple weeks until I have enough for a server then I'll close it. I'm not asking for permanent donations.

Social source share

atom@pobox.com is the paypal acct ... I'll keep it open for a couple weeks until I have enough for a server then I'll close it. I'm not asking for permanent donations.

$10 dollers on it way from me. and Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Soul Girl, what's your PayPal account email address whilst I'm at it 'cos next to SoulClub.org you're my other favourite site for listening. In fact, one of the first things I do when I login at work is to bring both SoulClub and SoulGirl up together, ready for the days listening . . . . in between work of course. :o)

Denbo.

Social source share

Soul Girl, what's your PayPal account email address whilst I'm at it 'cos next to SoulClub.org you're my other favourite site for listening. In fact, one of the first things I do when I login at work is to bring both SoulClub and SoulGirl up together, ready for the days listening . . . . in between work of course. :o)

Denbo.

biggrin.gif:D

Atom.....money's been sent

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Social source share

I appreciate the offers of money but I don't want to take any unless I can be sure the total will cover the majority of a new server. Although I could get pissed on the proceeds. :D

Count me in too, my pc is useless without it. :Dthumbsup.gif

Also be doing the same for Nick Rennies site too, which has the same problem.

Social source share

Guest andycambs

Hi all, gonna post my $10 after writing this post but just thought this would be worth thinking about;

There are maybe 4000 members on this site but how many have shown interest in this topic, only a small % I would guess. How would any promoters feel about having a collection box/bucket on the door of their venues this weekend as I'm sure there must still be folks out there that are oblivious to whats going on with Soul Club? Loose change soon adds up and with the large amount of events between now and christmas we'll as a scene piss $1000, just a thought eh :D

Andy

Social source share

$20.00 sent this am.i must hit this site daily to hear tunes i dont know but appear on sales lists.worth every penny to me.

bill

Social source share

Hi all, gonna post my $10 after writing this post but just thought this would be worth thinking about;

There are maybe 4000 members on this site but how many have shown interest in this topic, only a small % I would guess. How would any promoters feel about having a collection box/bucket on the door of their venues this weekend as I'm sure there must still be folks out there that are oblivious to whats going on with Soul Club? Loose change soon adds up and with the large amount of events between now and christmas we'll as a scene piss $1000, just a thought eh :D

Andy

brilliant idea.....chalky, you gonna be on the door with your box on Sat?

Social source share

Andy

Andy

I think a lot of people are happy to send cash without adding their name to a "roll of honour" as it were. I'll bet that there are a lot of people who have used and appreciate Soulclub that have sent money but don't feel the need to advertise it on here.

What would be a help would be if Atom could keep us informed as to the state of play and then if there is a short fall I'm sure there would be plenty of us who would dip into our pockets a 2nd time.

Mark

Social source share

Guest andycambs

Andy

I think a lot of people are happy to send cash without adding their name to a "roll of honour" as it were. I'll bet that there are a lot of people who have used and appreciate Soulclub that have sent money but don't feel the need to advertise it on here.

What would be a help would be if Atom could keep us informed as to the state of play and then if there is a short fall I'm sure there would be plenty of us who would dip into our pockets a 2nd time.

Mark

Mark, I'n not promoting the roll of honour that seems to be developing but if people want to show their support in the form of a posting, no problem IMO. I was pointing out that although there are 4000+ members on this site, its allways the same few names cropping up on the various topics, no matter what the subject is! How many have signed to this site only to look at it several times then forget about it? just check who's logged on at the bottom of the page anytime and you'll see what I mean! All I'm trying to say is we shouldn't rest on our laurels thinking a whip round amongst the few regulars on here can solve atoms server problems, and if this guy gets more than $1000 so what, he's earned it in my book. Thank you.

Andy

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Hi Atom

My tenner's just been despatched via PayPal; good luck with renewing the server and getting SoulClub back on line asap.

Brian

Social source share

No need for everyone to advertise their support, but if a few do it might increase the pressure on others. More like a reccomendation if you see what I'm on about. :)

Social source share